Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some More Bad News

mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Source-

http://www.nbc10.com/news/15724819/detail.html?dl=mainclick

Police: 16-Year-Old To Be Charged As Adult In Fatal SEPTA Attack

Asthma, Blunt Force Caused Man's Death In SEPTA Attack

POSTED: 3:24 pm EDT March 27, 2008

UPDATED: 5:52 pm EDT March 27, 2008

PHILADELPHIA -- A deadly assault on a SEPTA concourse was ruled a case of homicide Thursday.

But police said 36-year-old Sean Conroy was not a robbery victim.

Live Report: 'All That & More,' 4 p.m.

View Images

View Images

Investigators said they believe the South Philadelphia resident and local Starbucks store manager was just a random target of teenagers who were out looking for trouble.

Police said Kinta Stanton, 16, of the 4900 block of Smedley St. will be charged with Conroy's killing. Stanton will be charged as an adult, the charges are murder and criminal conspiracy, police said.
IBSYS.ad.AdManager.registerPosition({ "iframe": false, "addlSz": "", "element": "ad_N312E3120.21C1", "interstitials": false, "beginDate": "", "endDate": "", "getSect": "yes", "name": "square", "qString": "", "width": "300", "height": "250", "section": "", "useId": "15724819", "interactive": false, "useSameCategory": false, "topic": "", "swSectionRoot": "", "useZone": "", "type": "DOM" });

The daytime attack happened Wednesday afternoon on the concourse at SEPTA's 13th Street station on the Market-Frankford Line.

Stanton has been in custody since shortly after the incident.

Conroy's death has rattled SEPTA riders, and has a lot of people wondering about their safety, NBC 10's Deanna Durante reported.

Authorities initially thought Conroy may have had a heart attack. Conroy appeared to be having difficulty breathing and chest pains when officers arrived. He died a short time later at a hospital.

The Philadelphia medical examiner concluded after an autopsy Thursday that Conroy died of asthma contributed to by blunt force injuries, and it labeled his death a homicide.

The one thing that has investigators so upset is that at the crime is that investigative sources said it was a random act of violence committed by a group of teens skipping school.

"People should just leave people alone, let them live their lives. He worked for a living. He was a good, good man engaged to a nice lady," said Ralph Petrone, who said he chatted with Conroy almost every day.

He was a regular customer at Petrone's South Philadelphia corner market.

"This is insane," Petrone said, adding that he's disgusted by what police are calling a random act of violence.

"It's just a horrible tragedy, and it's a shame. I feel for that person's family," Philadelphia Deputy Police Commissioner Richard Ross said. "I mean, you've got who I believe is a 16-year-old and probably others around the same age who were just involved in conduct that's just reprehensible."

It was around 2:30 p.m. Wednesday when police said Conroy was waiting for a train on a SEPTA concourse form near 13th and Market streets when he was attacked by a group of teens.

A witness to the attack was a SEPTA police sergeant who investigators said heard screams.

Another officer captured a Stanton, who sources said is cooperating with police and admits his role in the attack.

Sources also said the teen is a student at Simon Gratz High School.

Police said nothing was stolen from Conroy.

"Unless you're just pure evil, what would make you do something like that?" Ross asked.

Police are still looking for three other teens they believe were involved in the attack

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This just disgusts me.  A random act of violence to kill an innocent, hard-working man. 

I hope these kids get locked up for a long time, I don't care if they're 16 or 60. 

Comments

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

The nation is too soft on crime, start with public hangings for child molesters, rapist and murderer's and i bet we would see a drop in the crime rate. Of course that would be a waste, better yet send them to Afghanistan and let them clear mine fields.

A bed, food and education behind bars is not a deterrent. 

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

It's funny...I'm an education major and one of the first things that you'll read in any education textbook in the chapters about discipline is that proactive discipline is always more effective than reactive discipline...yet it's no wonder why our tendency is to be reactive, nobody teaches us to be proactive, especially not our legal system.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461

Originally posted by BushMonkey

The nation is too soft on crime, start with public hangings for child molesters, rapist and murderer's and i bet we would see a drop in the crime rate. Of course that would be a waste, better yet send them to Afghanistan and let them clear mine fields.

You'd die in Norway.

• IsUberLeetIsUberLeet Member Posts: 104

Lock 'em up! as was stated above locking someone up won't make them better if anything it makes them worse. Think for a second, if you were locked up in prison and then were released would you be a nice law abiding citizen or just want to make the people that locked you up more angry? Well I suppose this isn't a good example, seeing as I think most of us would learn but these people do these things just wanting attention.

I think this sums it up:  Hoolagin+Jail time= An older, meaner hoolagin

Originally posted by MadAce

You'd die in Norway.

For rape murder and child abuse? Thought Norway didn't allow the death penalty. Learn something new everyday then.   Or for having an opinion that doesn't  agree with a bunch of maggot liberals?  I doubt it some bleeding heart would prevent that. It's all about a diversity of opinion isn't it?

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Originally posted by IsUberLeet

Lock 'em up! as was stated above locking someone up won't make them better if anything it makes them worse. Think for a second, if you were locked up in prison and then were released would you be a nice law abiding citizen or just want to make the people that locked you up more angry? Well I suppose this isn't a good example, seeing as I think most of us would learn but these people do these things just wanting attention.
    I think this sums it up:  Hoolagin+Jail time= An older, meaner hoolagin

Yes, but they would at least be behind bars for 20 years....If they were behind bars any less than that, then it would be a joke.

• Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982

I don't think they should be locked up.

I think that if they are convicted, they should hang from the neck until dead. Or perhaps a firing squad, but honestly I think a hanging is a more appropriate punishment for this sort of crime.

• ZikielZikiel Member Posts: 1,138

Originally posted by Tuor7

I think that if they are convicted, they should hang from the neck until dead. Or perhaps a firing squad, but honestly I think a hanging is a more appropriate punishment for this sort of crime.

Gas chamber. By far the most cruel of the standard cruelties. Unless you wanna start going all Inquisition on criminals, the gas chamber is definitely the way to go. It's pretty much slow hanging without a rope. I could swear electricution was a close second.. but apparently it's actually a lot faster than I thought.

Meh.. hanging takes second I gues..

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

police said.
    IBSYS.ad.AdManager.registerPosition({ "iframe": false, "addlSz": "", "element": "ad_N312E3120.21C1", "interstitials": false, "beginDate": "", "endDate": "", "getSect": "yes", "name": "square", "qString": "", "width": "300", "height": "250", "section": "", "useId": "15724819", "interactive": false, "useSameCategory": false, "topic": "", "swSectionRoot": "", "useZone": "", "type": "DOM" });

Damn, that's a strange police.

• tifannytifanny Member Posts: 29

that's good so the kid will learn his lesson.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Originally posted by Zikiel

Originally posted by Tuor7

Gas chamber. By far the most cruel of the standard cruelties. Unless you wanna start going all Inquisition on criminals, the gas chamber is definitely the way to go. It's pretty much slow hanging without a rope. I could swear electricution was a close second.. but apparently it's actually a lot faster than I thought.

Meh.. hanging takes second I gues..

True, but hanging makes them wait there til they drop the rope....The tension is like dying....until they actually die that is.

• garshundgarshund Member Posts: 6

best deterent to such behavior?  town square, large axe, hooded guy, chopping block.

too bad laws are made by cowards afraid to lose power from squeemish voters

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461

Originally posted by MadAce

You'd die in Norway.

For rape murder and child abuse? Thought Norway didn't allow the death penalty. Learn something new everyday then.   Or for having an opinion that doesn't  agree with a bunch of maggot liberals?  I doubt it some bleeding heart would prevent that. It's all about a diversity of opinion isn't it?

I meant that you with your ideology would go insane in Norway because there things don't work like that. Extremely "soft" prison regime (aimed at healthy rehabilitation) and no death penalty. They have a very low homicide rate compared to a lot harsher countries (like China and the US).

And that's just Norway. How about those other "soft" countries?

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Originally posted by garshund

best deterent to such behavior?  town square, large axe, hooded guy, chopping block.

I think if you steal, you should get your hand cut off. And women who cheat should all be stoned to death.

@ Madace, Denmark has a pretty civilised prison system. I bet it costs a lot though. The inmates get their own houses in jail, they can marry and have kids with the other inmates. They shop at the local prison shop for all their groceries etc. It's like a sort of walled village almost.

I watched on TV as this serial killer (and her serial killer boyfriend), sent their child (conceived in prison) to the local school each day.

Oddly the poverty stricken Brazilian jails struck me as rather civilised too. In a strange sort of no money kind of way. 

P.S. do we think Norways homicide rate is in any way comparable to Canada's? Lots of space between peoples houses, and too cold to go next door and murder your neighbour?

Given that Norwegians are so heavily armed it's always a bit of an anomaly that they don't go ballistic psycho killer more often than they do.  

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

Best is drawing and quartering, and mounting the perp's head on a stake in the public square (or putting it before the city entrance).

Interesting statistic I saw on a death penalty website. Crime increased two fold in the USA, ever since they did away with public hangings (and the spike started to rise BEFORE the massive immigration started at the turn of the 20th century).

Nothing goes deeper into the psyche for little Johnny Baaad, to see what Baaad people get when they defy their neighbors of their right to live and persue RESPONSIBLE happiness.

Just like that story recently of the little girl dying of a brain tumor, and all the fuss to release the dad so he could be near her at death. If even so-called conservatives are going soft on punishment, you might as well actually live in an anarchy -- as all rules are broken without consequences.

And that's the fall of civilization to return to beasthood.

Do the crime, face the punishment. Man up!

• unconformedunconformed Member Posts: 700
    Originally posted by UNATCOII

Best is drawing and quartering, and mounting the perp's head on a stake in the public square (or putting it before the city entrance).

Interesting statistic I saw on a death penalty website. Crime increased two fold in the USA, ever since they did away with public hangings (and the spike started to rise BEFORE the massive immigration started at the turn of the 20th century).

Nothing goes deeper into the psyche for little Johnny Baaad, to see what Baaad people get when they defy their neighbors of their right to live and persue RESPONSIBLE happiness.

Just like that story recently of the little girl dying of a brain tumor, and all the fuss to release the dad so he could be near her at death. If even so-called conservatives are going soft on punishment, you might as well actually live in an anarchy -- as all rules are broken without consequences.

And that's the fall of civilization to return to beasthood.

Do the crime, face the punishment. Man up!

it seems, circumstances rather than the individual did the crime. there is no personal responsibility.

chips, dips chains & whips.

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

Originally posted by baff
    Given that Norwegians are so heavily armed it's always a bit of an anomaly that they don't go ballistic psycho killer more often than they do.  

It's probably because everyone is so heavily armed that they don't go ballistic. An attempted murder can go wrong quite quickly when your victim owns a gun.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

So how come America has so many? They all have guns too?

Traditionally, armed societies have more murders and less burglaries. Norwegians must be wierd.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Godliest

police said.

Damn, that's a strange police.

It's Robocop.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

'An eye for an eye makes the world go blind'

As much as I'd like to believe this, I find it hard not to agree that he should be killed.

O_o o_O

If you took the time to look Iran has an official capitol punishment rate 3 times as high as China's  And they execute for such mundane crimes as homosexuality  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_penalty  However it is pointed out that China's numbers are most likely not correct and could be 7 or 8 times as high as the stated numbers. 

If you wanted split hairs and include a Goverment's willingness to starve,and commit genocide on there own populations i would beleive North Korea's and some African country's rate would be off the chart with hundred's of thousand's dieing.  

The USA with a few hundred for the worst crimes is miniscule in comparison. And is not comparable to Executions for Tax Evasion,racketeering,Sodomy,Drug dealing, and Apostasy.

And if you dig a little deeper the methods used by the Chinese= A Hollow point bullet to the brain. Recently changed to lethal injection.

Decapitation in several Islamic country's for such crimes as auto theft,drug dealing and murder.

Crucifixion in the Sudan for being a Christian Priest.

Death Flight's used by Argentine and French paramilitary groups fighting "subversive's" which entails throwing people out of planes over the ocean or jungle.

The USA is just not in the same league, and in fact for some of the crimes people are executed for in the USA is a literal Death sentence in an American Prison, Even the hardest scum wil not tolerate child molesters and rapist in their midst and will gladly stick a shiv in them. 

Is the Death penalty the answer to monsterous criminal behaviour? No.  At least not for the mad. But it does save the tax payers untold wealth to keep them locked up for life. And does send a signal to would be villians to think twice about commiting atrocious acts. 

Let me fill you in on something, Back in Texas i really pissed off some very Evil people, Herion Dealers

And i beleive they really did not want to risk a death sentence to just get rid of little old me. As long as i went away it just wasn't going to be worth it. They prefer the Money and the freedom to spend it than killing

an non entity such as me.  Giving the state a reason to arrest and execute them i beleive was a deciding factor in their minds to just let me go my way.   So it does have a deterent effect for the rational.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by baff

@ Madace, Denmark has a pretty civilised prison system. I bet it costs a lot though. The inmates get their own houses in jail, they can marry and have kids with the other inmates. They shop at the local prison shop for all their groceries etc. It's like a sort of walled village almost.
    I watched on TV as this serial killer (and her serial killer boyfriend), sent their child (conceived in prison) to the local school each day.

I'm moving to Denmark and bitch-slapping some cops. And all this time I've been in the U.S. working my ass off and struggling with relationships. I could've been in Denmark living the suite life.

• XeximaXexima Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

What's that?  A republican who doesn't understand sociology?  I would never have guessed.  Those damn bleeding heart liberal countries with ridiculously low homicide rates, they just don't understand.

(btw, not pointed at you draenor, there ARE, surprisingly enough, actually intelligent republicans.. kinda)

Originally posted by Xexima

What's that?  A republican who doesn't understand sociology?  I would never have guessed.  Those damn bleeding heart liberal countries with ridiculously low homicide rates, they just don't understand.

(btw, not pointed at you draenor, there ARE, surprisingly enough, actually intelligent republicans.. kinda)

America is a bleeding heart liberal country. 

• NetzokoNetzoko Member Posts: 1,271

Sociopaths cannot be 'rehabilitated."  The illusion that people such as child molesters can simply stop is what makes ultra soft-crime nations melt under the pressure. People like that don't stop because they don't want to be caught, they never stop because they can't.

Should we put people like that to death? I personally don't think so, as they are only acting what's natural to them. I do, however, think that a crime should have an equal penalty regardless of mental health. 2nd degree murder? Life without parole even if you are 'insane.' Someone who mistakingly kills is just as dangerous as someone who wants to kill. Nature should not be punished, but dangerous people need to be locked up to protect the greater population.

Also, you cannot compare Norway homicide rates to massive nations like China and the US.

-------------------------