Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you need to dedicate a lot of hours (at one time) to get anywhere?

RethakRethak Member Posts: 39

I've never played this game and it seems the main theme about it is it takes a looonnnng time to level, which doesn't necessarily sound like a bad thing to me.  But I'm just wondering if it's possible to get anything done in this game without dedicating 3+ hours to one session.  Like how long does it usually take you to get from logging in to actually killing stuff for xp?

Basically I often only get a few hours here and there to play these games, and I remember in games like FF11 that ment you could pretty much do nothing because forming a group often took 1-2 hours (and I was a support class).  Also I'm wondering if this game has any solo or small group xp mobs or are you pretty much not getting any xp unless you have at least 5 well balanced classes together? 

Also is the grinding in this game just like old fashion eq1 camps where you stand at the same place killing the exact same spawns or do you move around more?

Thanks for helping me out ^^

Comments

• PraorPraor Member Posts: 519

Yes lots of solo content but as you advance your options get limited. Levels 1-40 are pretty easy with the new player buffs and herbs that drop which give you temporary buffs as well. This game will require lots of time to get to the higher end so I don't think a player with limited time would advance at a comfortable rate.

You will be pretty much picking a spot and just start grinding away while throwing in a quest here and there but the quests for the most part are not even worth doing but there are some that payoff.If you can find a good guild of course that will always help especially at the higher end when grouping is so much better but not entirely necessary.

As far as how long does it take from logging in to actualy killing stuff?  well usually its right away if you logged out of town .So if you only have 3 hours or less for a session, sure you will get things done, a level here and there but eventually it will start to slow down and then considerably.

So yea, theres solo content and small and big group content. Lots of areas to choose from as well if you get bored grinding in one .

Waiting on Guild Wars 2

• SorrowhoSorrowho Member Posts: 581
    Originally posted by Rethak

I've never played this game and it seems the main theme about it is it takes a looonnnng time to level, which doesn't necessarily sound like a bad thing to me.  But I'm just wondering if it's possible to get anything done in this game without dedicating 3+ hours to one session.  Like how long does it usually take you to get from logging in to actually killing stuff for xp?

some seconds you can log out and in pretty much anywhere execep at epic bosses or castle and such stuff.

Basically I often only get a few hours here and there to play these games, and I remember in games like FF11 that ment you could pretty much do nothing because forming a group often took 1-2 hours (and I was a support class).  Also I'm wondering if this game has any solo or small group xp mobs or are you pretty much not getting any xp unless you have at least 5 well balanced classes together? 

they's only a very few classes who can solo well enof without buff's, then pretty much all other's can solo fine if you get a second account for a buffer.

But once you get into the high lvl's 6x + lvl's well orginaised group's exp much faster then soloing

Also is the grinding in this game just like old fashion eq1 camps where you stand at the same place killing the exact same spawns or do you move around more?

you pretty much kill the exact same thing's
    Thanks for helping me out ^^

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

There is moving though. You just don't stand in one spot. You will be in one area though. Perhaps for many, many levels.

To be honest OP, I think this game is not for you. Unless of course you just like to log in, do your thing for a small amount of time, have a completely zen attitude and log out.

At higher lvls, if you should ever get there, you can grind for quite some time and not even break 1%. for that session.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • isurusisurus Member Posts: 396

The OP brings up a very important question. And I think that this is one of the most influencial yet overlooked reasons why so many gamers (especially westerners) can't get hooked on L2... L2 demands long sessions of play.

This was the #1 reason that I chose to quit early in C3 (I had played since closed beta). I was a 70+ Swordsinger yet it would often take hours to put together a group decent enough to bother leaving town. And since once you found such a group, you'd never want to leave, so it was rare that I would spend less than 4 hours per session. Most of the time I would play for 6-8 hours straight. And like I said, I was a 70+ Swordsinger in an archer clan.

I returned to L2 in Interlude but as a 2boxer. 2boxing allows you to solo (albiet slowly) at least up to your 3rd class change, and if you can solo then you can log in for 30 minutes or so and actually get something accomplished. Rather than being confined to parties which can make your gaming session last for hours and hours and hours.

And this imo is is the #1 reason that people 2box. In fact I don't see how anyone can play L2 as a casual gamer without 2 accounts.

• BlomiBlomi Member Posts: 200

I have 3 accounts now.  So I can just log in at my XP spot and do my thing. I have buffs on tap and a large stock of supplies on hand.  So I can XP for 20 minutes, or 8 hours, whatever I feel like.  Self reliance has its benefits as well as its costs of course. 

Originally posted by isurus

And this imo is is the #1 reason that people 2box. In fact I don't see how anyone can play L2 as a casual gamer without 2 accounts.

you can with a Summoner, or a Shillen Elder with a Great Wolf  tho the great wolf eat's a lot off your exp.

• binary_0011binary_0011 Member Posts: 528

3 hrs a day is not enough . especially when you reach lv 67,  the grinding will be tough.

there is really nothing much you can do in Lineage 2 , the quest does'nt really worth the time. fishing is cool but it has a payoff,  you need to park your character 24/7 to sell you scales.

i was talking with my online friend earlier, he told me L2 has quiet down a lot. many people left.

In Lineage 2, without a clan/guide is going to make your life VERY difficult, those armors and weapons are super expensive.

i am not scaring you, look at my number hours of play. i am still below lv 70. but i have 2 characters which are at lv 66 and 67.

• FastTxFastTx Member UncommonPosts: 756

Those hours don't say anything. Why? Half the time you are supposed to be in "shop mode" in a town. This means you are AFK, which doesn't say much for time you actually play.

Depending on class it should take:

12 hours from 1-20.

48 hours from 20-40.

55 hours from 40-52.

120 hours from 52-61.

600 hours from 61-75.

Then past that it's about 100 hours, then add 50% onto that for each additional level and probably even more. But by the time you hit lvl 76 you are at the end game, you can level or PvP with anyone and actually matter and have fun.

Also you can hit levels much easier than that. Sometimes your clan will help you with gear and buffs. Clanhalls are extremely helpful as they give HP/MP regen, a place to port to and from, and decent quality buffs that greatly increase leveling speed. If you really know what your doing you can usually cut the above hours in half. Such as AoE grinding.

• reet2reet2 Member Posts: 5

if you are planning to get high lvl and be a top pvper don't hope to get anywhere in less then a year..

unless you cheat like 90% of the community

and seeying you can only spend few a day i can already say you will get nowhere. sorry to be so rude but so is lineage 2

if you still think you can handle this i welcome you with open arm and let the grindfest begin!!!!

ps. don't believe the person above me seems he has no clue how to play this game

I know everything you ignorant noob. Back up your accusations before you post.

Originally posted by FastTx

cause @ 76 you won't do much in pvp simple as that lol.

12h for lvl 20 lol

48h for lvl 20-40 lol

i mean common if you know everything you know how horribly wrong you are

but whatever i am noob and proud of it

Those hours don't say anything. Why? Half the time you are supposed to be in "shop mode" in a town. This means you are AFK, which doesn't say much for time you actually play.
    12 hours from 1-20.
    48 hours from 20-40.
    55 hours from 40-52.
    120 hours from 52-61.
    600 hours from 61-75.
    Then past that it's about 100 hours, then add 50% onto that for each additional level and probably even more. But by the time you hit lvl 76 you are at the end game, you can level or PvP with anyone and actually matter and have fun.
    Also you can hit levels much easier than that. Sometimes your clan will help you with gear and buffs. Clanhalls are extremely helpful as they give HP/MP regen, a place to port to and from, and decent quality buffs that greatly increase leveling speed. If you really know what your doing you can usually cut the above hours in half. Such as AoE grinding.

your timetable is wrong, you can get to 1 to 40 in just 10 hour's but that's with S grade gear and high lvl buffer's

for anyone else it's gonna take a lot longer then the timetable's you postet, unleass your running around with top gear and overenchantet stuff with high lvl buffer's outside off party, classes in l2 also lvl's at extremly differenet speed's

It's not wrong, you can cut it in half if you know what your doing.

Read my post.

Originally posted by Sorrowho

12 hours from 1-20.
    48 hours from 20-40.
    55 hours from 40-52.
    120 hours from 52-61.
    600 hours from 61-75.

your timetable is wrong, you can get to 1 to 40 in just 10 hour's but that's with S grade gear and high lvl buffer's

for anyone else it's gonna take a lot longer then the timetable's you postet, unleass your running around with top gear and overenchantet stuff with high lvl buffer's outside off party, classes in l2 also lvl's at extremly differenet speed's

at least someone knows how to play l2 here

Reet2. You are a noob, as you said earlier. You seem to be very confident in your criticism of my "outline". You missed the whole point of my post, was to say that an "XFIRE" signature bears no  relation to the amount of time played due to time spent in shopmode afk.

But obviously your a noob if the best thing you can pick at is the time it takes to get to level 40. OF COURSE with better gear and buffs you can get to 40 in no time. But this guy is just starting out, he will probably do quests etc. So it WON'T take 10 hours to get to 40. You used to get to 40 in 2 Warsmith booms. But thats been fixed. But if your trying stuff like that, might as well sit afk in a Destroyer FoG party. Tons of ways to level, but for a new player with little to no higher level contacts my post still stands. However forgive me for being a little wrong. it's been a long time since I was a D grader.

Reet2. You are a noob, as you said earlier. You seem to be very confident in your criticism of my "outline". You missed the whole point of my post, was to say that an "XFIRE" signature bears no  relation to the amount of time played due to time spent in shopmode afk.
    But obviously your a noob if the best thing you can pick at is the time it takes to get to level 40. OF COURSE with better gear and buffs you can get to 40 in no time. But this guy is just starting out, he will probably do quests etc. So it WON'T take 10 hours to get to 40. You used to get to 40 in 2 Warsmith booms. But thats been fixed. But if your trying stuff like that, might as well sit afk in a Destroyer FoG party. Tons of ways to level, but for a new player with little to no higher level contacts my post still stands. However forgive me for being a little wrong. it's been a long time since I was a D grader.

you must be a hindemith player

You must be a d grader.

your timetable is still wrong when you aren't factoring in what people's classes are or they gear you should have postet a broader range in hour's, and why do you call Reet2 a noob when his point is very true...

do you know what a few lvl 78 + people with the best gear can do aginst the double or 3 time's as many lvl 76+ people with A grade gear ??

if you have so much knowglede about l2 you should know that getting to 78 without cheating is highly likely it take a year, and how much it mean's beaing 76+ with A grade gear aginst a lvl 78+ with boss jewel's and S grade gear.

now they just raised the lvl and made people with high lvl subclasses even more powerfull, so for new people the grind is insane to cautch up to be off any competion aginst people's main's. So if your 70 - 74 your pretty useless unleass your some buffer

Edit:

http://www.l2guru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77552

http://www.l2guru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78845

and about 90% cheater's uf not sure but i just love trowing out hoes link's

your timetable is still wrong when you aren't factoring in what people's classes are or they gear you should have postet a broader range in hour's, and why do you call Reet2 a noob when his point is very true...

do you know what a few lvl 78 + people with the best gear can do aginst the double or 3 time's as many lvl 76+ people with A grade gear ??

if you have so much knowglede about l2 you should know that getting to 78 without cheating is highly likely it take a year, and how much it mean's beaing 76+ with A grade gear aginst a lvl 78+ with boss jewel's and S grade gear.

now they just raised the lvl and made people with high lvl subclasses even more powerfull, so for new people the grind is insane to cautch up to be off any competion aginst people's main's. So if your 70 - 74 your pretty useless unleass your some buffer

Edit:

1. He called himself a noob earlier. He's a troll anyway.

2. His points might be true, but not for a new player getting into the game which is what this is about.

3. Oh yeah. It took over a year for me to get to lvl 78, but it gets easier and easier with every expansion. When CT2 comes around casual players can gain up to 3x more experience points through the Vitality system. They are also extending Newbie buffs to level 60. I doubt it takes that long now since by the end of C1 I was only level 58. Leveling up is very situational. Maybe I didn't make that clear enough by mentioning AoE etc.

4. I tend to disagree, 70-74 characters are very useful. Now I haven't played since Interlude and I know they made some adjustments on land rate dependant on levels but is it really that bad now? I'm sure a lvl 4x Necromancer can't Paralyze a level 7x character at a decent rate now but it can't be that bad.

5. How does the L2blah thread relate to anything?

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Those people who think they know everything are very annoying to those of us who do.

No kidding.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

It's been a LONG LONG time since I played L2, but from what I remember the level grind isn't as bad as the weapon/armor drops. The only way to get armor/weapons is to be filthy rich, but its quite hard if your just starting out the game (It got to the point where I was killing monsters that were 10+ levels lower than me just to get a chance of getting the weapon/armor that was around my level to drop). Level wise...It didnt start being a PITA until you reach level 40. I loved this game, but there were many factors that made me feel like it wasn't a game for me.

Like i said it was a long time since I played, I started from OB and got into  the 8th month after release from the game.

Edit:

1. He called himself a noob earlier. He's a troll anyway.

2. His points might be true, but not for a new player getting into the game which is what this is about.

3. Oh yeah. It took over a year for me to get to lvl 78, but it gets easier and easier with every expansion. When CT2 comes around casual players can gain up to 3x more experience points through the Vitality system. They are also extending Newbie buffs to level 60. I doubt it takes that long now since by the end of C1 I was only level 58. Leveling up is very situational. Maybe I didn't make that clear enough by mentioning AoE etc.

4. I tend to disagree, 70-74 characters are very useful. Now I haven't played since Interlude and I know they made some adjustments on land rate dependant on levels but is it really that bad now? I'm sure a lvl 4x Necromancer can't Paralyze a level 7x character at a decent rate now but it can't be that bad.

5. How does the L2blah thread relate to anything?

1. ...

2 He said top pvper, now i guess that's a broad statement but getitng to 78 + and getting S grade gear does take very long.

3. I haven't heard off the vitality system but that new update is half a year away from getting to us or more ?

Beside's they made people with high lvl subclasses be more powerfull, made better and better gear over the year's, and added bossjewel's so even if you lvl fast, you will need the gear to cause it's a very gear depaentet game.

[btw what's that part about AoE ? that's only confusing me]

4. ive seen lvl 79 or 78 people go around taking down entire party's off lvl 70 - to 76 people just 1 hitting everyone in they way and keeping alive on quick healing potion's, cp potion's and elixir's.

I agree they not complety useless if they land a lucky skill, but people just get's exetremly powerfull in thoes last few lvl's and before you reach your third subclass you aren't that usefull.

5 he said that 90% off the comminity cheat's, and they's defintly a lot off cheater's in l2 im just not sure off the %

2. Yes it does, but it's all about what your goals are. You could get to level 75 In Prelude and C1, but that doesn't mean a lot of people got there. Just because the CAP is set high doesn't mean it should be your goal off the bat. Be reasonable, your first goal is getting to 20, then to 40. Take it one step at a time.

3. The Vitality system was just an example. NCSoft adds more skills, they don't make the mobs stronger, players have more ways to kill them. Another example was the Overlord skill blockade, true they gain it at level 79, however it was an AoE debuff that would make normal attacks useless for 2 minutes, and you could reuse this skill every 10 seconds. What did this mean? Massive pulls of mobs, debuff them, they don't attack, you kill. However this skill was patched and balanced in the latest CT1.5 patch. It's not useless, it's just got a 2 minute cooldown and the skill effect lasts for 10 seconds.

4. The level difference of 70-78/79 isn't that big. You are probably referring to heroes and fully buffed characters taking out characters unprepared and unbuffed. L2 is a buff oriented game. The problem is what happens is what you see isn't always what you get. A fully buffed character could take down about 20 people of the same class and level who are completely unbuffed. Theres that much of a difference. Buffs are all the difference. Any level of any class can recieve buffs from high level characters. It just tends to be the higher end characters recieving those buffs more often.

5. He said 90% of the community cheats... a year ago. Please update your sources. There are cheaters but if you play long enough they usually eventually get banned. NCSoft tends to prioritize banning higher level characters. You won't see the lvl 20 bots getting banned because they'll just keep on making accounts. The ones you will notice is when your high level cheaters start disappearing.

2. Yes it does, but it's all about what your goals are. You could get to level 75 In Prelude and C1, but that doesn't mean a lot of people got there. Just because the CAP is set high doesn't mean it should be your goal off the bat. Be reasonable, your first goal is getting to 20, then to 40. Take it one step at a time.
    3. The Vitality system was just an example. NCSoft adds more skills, they don't make the mobs stronger, players have more ways to kill them. Another example was the Overlord skill blockade, true they gain it at level 79, however it was an AoE debuff that would make normal attacks useless for 2 minutes, and you could reuse this skill every 10 seconds. What did this mean? Massive pulls of mobs, debuff them, they don't attack, you kill. However this skill was patched and balanced in the latest CT1.5 patch. It's not useless, it's just got a 2 minute cooldown and the skill effect lasts for 10 seconds.
    4. The level difference of 70-78/79 isn't that big. You are probably referring to heroes and fully buffed characters taking out characters unprepared and unbuffed. L2 is a buff oriented game. The problem is what happens is what you see isn't always what you get. A fully buffed character could take down about 20 people of the same class and level who are completely unbuffed. Theres that much of a difference. Buffs are all the difference. Any level of any class can recieve buffs from high level characters. It just tends to be the higher end characters recieving those buffs more often.
    5. He said 90% of the community cheats... a year ago. Please update your sources. There are cheaters but if you play long enough they usually eventually get banned. NCSoft tends to prioritize banning higher level characters. You won't see the lvl 20 bots getting banned because they'll just keep on making accounts. The ones you will notice is when your high level cheaters start disappearing.

2. what's your point ??

3. im lost with this to :s

4. well the lvl difference isen't big on a lvl 74 to 78 that's true but the 78 is a lot more powerfull, and no im not talking about heroes or people fighting other's who are buffless.

5. i diden agree with him that 90% off the comminuty cheat's i just said they definlty was a lot off cheater's in this game.