Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

14 year old GM?

pstruthpstruth Member Posts: 233

Is it really true that the guy in charge of PlaneShift's irc channel was 14 years old when he was given his position?

Comments

• TuxideTuxide Member UncommonPosts: 213

pstruth: That guy is not a GM; he is an IRC op and is well respected. He runs a modding community and is the first person to ever make a fan-made video of PlaneShift. I don't remember when the channel on Freenode was founded so I don't know about his age.

• NurahkNurahk Member Posts: 21

PlaneShift went through quite a few IRC channels.  There was #planeshift-fans and the #planeshift on quakenet, which is still going on.  Jose runs the one of Freenode, which has evolved into basically being the official IRC channel.  The one of Quakenet is where a few grumpy oldbies hang out and #planeshift-fans is gone completely, I believe.

Jose was not made the channel operator, his channel was made the official channel.  Either way, there has been no reason to remove him from the position.  He is a great guy and I've never seen him abuse powers or any such thing.

So no, he was never 'given' the position. 

Also, IRC op != GM.

• pstruthpstruth Member Posts: 233

Whether or not he has abused his powers seems contentious at the least.  And neither of your well-informed replies answered my question with regards to his age.

Oh, I imagine around 14, possibly younger, possibly older.  But again, it's not an official position and he was never given it.

He was given it the moment the channel became official.

I don't remember either, but he wasn't 14.

Alright, pstruth...

Do you want a gold star for finding something to complain about or is there a point to this topic?

Well, I do like gold stars.  They're shiny.  But  seriously, a 13 year old with ban powers?

Yes.  Anything else?

pstruth: What do you know? You weren't even around back then. Either way, you're using someone's age as a basis for discrimination and I'm not going to tolerate it.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by Tuxide

pstruth: What do you know? You weren't even around back then. Either way, you're using someone's age as a basis for discrimination and I'm not going to tolerate it.

You actually reported him for an opinion? Hi, welcome to mmorpg.com, not the Planeshift forums.

And I think having concerns about a juvenile running an "official" anything is well warranted. Maturity level is one factor alone.

And he's not using age as discrimination. How the hell is pstruth discriminating against him? Is pstruth in charge of hiring/firing? Does pstruth have any ability at all to say whther the young man keeps his status or not? Nope. Therefore, pstruth is not in a position to discriminate. He is in a position to state an opinion, which he is doing.

As far as you not tolerating anything, you made the choice to respond to the mans' thread. You can't tolerate opinions, there are other threads and places to go.

This thread looks like it's about to get out of control.

Yes, jose is young.  No, nobody cares.  Yes, he has acted more mature than most anybody in PS.

End of discussion.

<modedit>

I concur, this thread exists to disparage someone's person. That or so he can figure out jose's age so he can go to the bank and claim he's him.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

I concur, this thread exists to disparage someone's person. That or so he can figure out jose's age so he can go to the bank and claim he's him.

He asked if a 14 year old was in charge of an official Planeshift channel, which has been answered. THAT appears to be the purpose of this thread as far as pstruth.

<modedit>

Zorvan: No, the channel is not ran by a 14 year old.

<modedit>

Thank you Zorvan, even though your post was deleted.

Originally posted by Nurahk

Yes, jose is young.  No, nobody cares.  Yes, he has acted more mature than most anybody in PS.
    End of discussion.
    <modedit>

I care.  And I disagree.  I think his behaviour has been seriously immature at times.

Wow.  So many mod edits, and mere minutes have gone by.

If only we could disagree without calling eachother names and going on tangents.

I concur, this thread exists to disparage someone's person.
    No, this simply is not true.  A fact is a fact, and let's let the facts speak for themselves.

pstruth: I see no factual information here, there is no 14 year old running the fan channel and there is no GM younger than 21.

<modedit>

• UtMoonUtMoon Member Posts: 99

*shrugs*

To the original question, no on several counts.

Is he in charge? No.

Was he given the position? No. As said, PlaneShift absorbed the channel that had already been created.

His age was answered in another post, so I'll not bother.

He is another op in the channel. Big deal? No. I have never once seem him abuse the commands.

He is young. Big deal? No. I actually thought he was almost as old as I was for the first year, and knowing his age only increased my respect for him.

He was even a GM in the game for a short time. Big deal? No. GMs are testers and mods in the game, and he was more than capable of doing both, as he has a better understanding of code than many others.

Is this common? No. The person you speak of is an extraordinary individual, and would not be in such a position if it were not merited. It is IRC. It is not going to change anyone's life to have a 14 year old as an op. Anyone who has issues with this case simply has issues.

<modedit>

Really now? My points were more than valid, factual, and not flamy in the least. Just the honest truth. Perhaps I'll post them on the PS forum... where the moding is a bit lighter.

Now, I am going to question why this was posted here, where few actual players visit, instead of simply going into the #planeshift channel and asking the person in question himself. It is not a big secret, and by your own words you have been in the channel many times before. What is your game here?

I changed my mind. PlaneShift is not worth the time.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Originally posted by pstruth

Is it really true that the guy in charge of PlaneShift's irc channel was 14 years old when he was given his position?

You make it sound as it would be a bad thing? As long he/she makes the job, the age dont matter.

• UtMoonUtMoon Member Posts: 99

Well, that post sums up nicely what was edited out in mine. I am obviouly not the only one who understands tone of words and phrasing.

I changed my mind. PlaneShift is not worth the time.

• VPellenVPellen Member Posts: 215

Alright, listen please.

It is acceptable to have debates here. The OP asked questions. Those questions have been given different answers by different people. If a child having moderation power is a good idea or not; That is not an unreasonable topic of discussion.

But guys, please don't get personal. If you have issue with something a person has said, report their post, and it'll be dealt with by one of the moderators. A chain of personal attacks usually just ends up with a fight between a bunch of people over which one of them is the biggest prick, and as much as I enjoy spectator sports, all it really does is disrupt the forum.

Please don't attack a person, no matter what you think of their argument or their attitudes. If you have issues with their opinions, or if you think they've posted false information, then go ahead, question that opinion, correct that information. That's fine. That's good. You can't have a solid discussion without a solid base. But please don't talk smack about each other. It's against the rules, and it'll probably get deleted.

Thanks.

• BakoryoBakoryo Member UncommonPosts: 469

You are totally making it sound like his age has something to do with him being immature.

Ive had 12year old Gm's with better english and manners than 80% of  these forums.

So yeah.. I don't really find this place to be the most giving place to talk about his manners :/

The speed of the mole and the power of steel is my weapon

Guys, he's not even 14 in the first place! :D He's more like 17 now if I remember. I invite you all to go into the fan channel on Freenode and use the /mode #planeshift +b command to see who exactly has been banning people recently (unless you're already listed there).

This discussion has been closed.