Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need someone to guide me - I'm a newbie.

vguanvguan Member Posts: 1

Hello, guys. I'm going to start to play CoV soon and I need help in choosing or making decision on what or which kind of character I should make. I want to make a character which is good in pvp and nice to be played with. What would you recommend me?

*Brute and stalker seem interesting*

Please and thanks. 

Comments

• AmarsirAmarsir Member UncommonPosts: 703

Welcome. Someone here will surely answer better than I, as I don't PvP much.

Stalkers are better than brutes for PvP, and you probably want Regen as your secondary. For the attack set, spines gives you a bit of range (unusual for a stalker) and it deals toxic damage, which is less resisted.

So Spines/Regen stalker I would say, if that's the way you're leaning. I think Dominators and Corruptors can also be strong choices, but I'm not as up to date on them.

Currently playing:
    DC Universe
    Planetside 2
    Magic Online
    Simunomics, the Massive Multiplayer Economic Simulation Game. Play for free.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Cold/anything which debuff is an extremely potent PvP choice for corruptors.

Remember that debuffs are many times stronger than buffs in this game, 1 rad debuffing the enemy would yield better results than any 2 characters not debuffing the enemy but buffing you + nuking enemy.  Everything in this game resolve around debuffs.  If something is too hard, figure a way to resist the debuff...or to debuff the enemy...or both, 95% of the time, it will solve the problematic you may be experiencing.

Shields and protection are often useless in PvP, or near useless...so Regen, with quick duration and extremely potent powers for short duration is a good choice for PvP...yet...you lack hps as a stalker...so...you might prefer to opt for a secondary which will help you kill the enemy instead.  (About shields in PvP, defenders for example ignore 40% resist...which is all shields you may have with the exception of Granite/Unstoppable/MoG/PS (tier 9 "godmodes")...Blasters have a % which is unresistable, Scrappers critical hits are unresistables, Dominators and Trollers will affect you with their status effect...and so on...think offensive, defenses are not up to it, they will always fails...a defense is merely a slower death).

PS: The best buff will give you about 30% resist and it may face issue to stack and a resist cap...the best debuff will remove 70%, will stack extremely well, and there will be no debuff cap...so some guy alone debuff you way over 100%, if they are 2 of them, every attack will be doing many times the normal damage, as all the debuff stack.  The best shields will give you about 40% resist with a few tier 9 exception and a few tankers exceptions...

PPS: Resist cap is 75% for everyone except Brutes and Tankers at 90%.

PPPS: A Sonic/Psi defender for example would be at his resist cap, he will ignores the first 40% resist from anyone vs his PSI attack (so only /dark and /elec or willpower may have some resist), and it can debuff you if needed.  (actually, debuffing you means more damage, as negative value is more damage, not worth debuffing someone around 40% as you consider him at 0% anyway as a defender...but still, on peoples far from that 40% mark, well worth the time to debuff them)

PPPPS: Sleep components on any attack is the best way to de-toggle any non-stalkers/scrappers/brute/tanker/dwarf character...as only these have sleep resist from their toggle as far as I can tell. 

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by vguan

Hello, guys. I'm going to start to play CoV soon and I need help in choosing or making decision on what or which kind of character I should make. I want to make a character which is good in pvp and nice to be played with. What would you recommend me?
    *Brute and stalker seem interesting*
    Please and thanks. 

if by pvp, you mean pvp zones (and not the arena).

mastermind in (or out) of bodyguard (BG) mode.

if you wait unti i12, depending on if they completely dork  */storm, i'd say go for */storm MM.  my preferences would be bots/* or necro/*; but that's personal preference because i find those sets fun.

but, just find an MM set you find fun/interesting and no matter what toon you make -- pay attention to IOs and get IO'd up early on.

invention enhancements are great, the sets are even better.  starting at even level 10, IO sets (individually, not counting set bonuses) are better than their equivalent to/do/so.  there are some very nice uniques.  my new stalker caught the +3% defense bonus unique recipe yesterday.  5% resist for the power and +3%defense to all is an interesting bonus.  there's also stealth, +25% regen, +15% recovery, etc uniques out there.  plus, the new level 50 rares are even more powerful and their set bonuses are pretty wild.

it's like pre i5, but with a lot more variety and potential.

good luck and remember to have fun!  if the toon isn't fun after a few levels, it might never be fun for you, try something else!

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?