Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Constant sb.exe

Biohazard32Biohazard32 Member Posts: 2

Hi forum folks,

I know people are saying the sb.exe crash is rare these days (I played this game when it first game out 6 years ago or whatever it was, and it was terrible then), but years later I'm giving it a second try by some friend's requests and I'm getting sb.exe constantly.  At first it was basically when I'd attack creatures.  Sometimes,though, I get 10 seconds or less of game time.  It will crash a lot when I attack, even take out my weapon sometimes, switch areas, when the background fades into the game when first logging on, and when the text telling you where you are when you enter the game comes up.  It's absolutely rediculous, and the game will let me play for a while once every 25 tries or so maybe.

I'm wondering if there are any known tweaks I can do to remedy this problem, and if not I will obviously be quitting.  It will just be a shame, because the gameplay is a lot of fun, when I can actually play it.

I'm running windows XP with a computer that goes above and beyond anything the game's requirements might suggest.  AND, all my video drivers are up to date, and malware taken care of.  Thanks in advanced if anyone has advice.

Comments

• PlasmicredxPlasmicredx Member Posts: 629

I don't know what you could do aside from check the basics. Check for updated video card drivers. Check for if you have correct DirectX version. If you're using 64bit windows that might be something else.

I dunno man, sorry. I still think this game is hilarious.

• rev_lazarorev_lazaro Member Posts: 270

Not sure if this will help any, but my desktop uses the older ATI 9200 generation video cards, which is like the generation Shadowbane pukes upon seeing. I had to install 3rd party Omega Drivers using the guides that used to be in the forums, and even then I had to pretty much keep playing in 800x600 mode.

I'm playing on my laptop now and it's running a bit better. Not sure if the above matches your setup any or not, but I've noticed a lot of people who had the constant SB.exe crash were older generation ATI users like myself.

It's a great game, but the bugs seem to be selective of users.

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

Aha I have an ATI 9200 myself and constantly crashed, so I gave up.

I guess it does not like some graphics cards is all.

• comicguy07comicguy07 Member Posts: 10

So since I have an ATI 9250, and I'm gettign sb.exe errors I'm never gonan be able to play? Why don't the dumbasses at UBIsoft patch their game and try to fix it's shitty coding so we ATI people can play that's bullshit.

Be optimistic, the people you hate will eventually die.

"The world is pretty fucked up, so why shouldnt I be". - my weed tokin buddies

• DartavnDartavn Member Posts: 21

A few months back I redwnloaded and installed SB. Beforehand I had no sb.exe problems but after reinstalling I was crashing within the first minute or two of play. I tried a million drivers and nothign did the trick. So I did some searching and saw some reccomendations to simply reinstall the entire client. I did that from a different download source and had no problems once again. Give that a shot if nothing else works.

"Destiny decides your fate before the battle has begun"
    Fate's End Homepage

Originally posted by comicguy07

So since I have an ATI 9250, and I'm gettign sb.exe errors I'm never gonan be able to play? Why don't the dumbasses at UBIsoft patch their game and try to fix it's shitty coding so we ATI people can play that's bullshit.

Hey man, what do you expect from a sub game gone free to play? Cuss all you want, our video cards are old, and the 9200's had bad support in a lot of games. Right now in Guild Wars my desktop flashed awfull red textures in a lot of areas, and it's because of the shitty card with a crap driver.

Just go buy a cheap ass Geforce for the same price or get a better card...9200 was a bang for buck card anyway. Don't get mad if companies don't want to support what was probably one of the lower ends of the models...hell my friends onboard laptop driver runs some games better than my desktop.

PS--They're not excluding all ATI's...I'm using an onboard Radeon on my laptop and runs just dandy.

So if I get these Omega drivers and play in 800x600, I should be able to swing shadowbane with my ATI 9250? I just started downloading the EU version of DAoC to play on a good freeshard I found.

Originally posted by comicguy07

So if I get these Omega drivers and play in 800x600, I should be able to swing shadowbane with my ATI 9250? I just started downloading the EU version of DAoC to play on a good freeshard I found.

Here's what's weird about the Omega drivers....I had to find the last version that supported 9250, and then go down a notch ...I'm currently using 3.8.252 and I can run it in 800x600 on the desktop, shit turned down....but it still crashes here and there.

If you're playing on Uthgard for that server, you're probably gonna be a lot happier with that. Sorry for the rough news, just Shadowbane is miserable on our old cards :(

It's a great game, but it still has plenty of kinks in it. I'm in it for the old school PvP fun, but there's plenty of other games that can offer similar thrills.

• KLPinAZKLPinAZ Member Posts: 25

My video card is an 8800 GTX, and I get the sb.exe error too.  And I have a fully recommended power source for the card, so it isn't that.  Mine happens a couple times a play session.  If I play for four hours, I will probably crash twice. 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing."

• JamkullJamkull Member UncommonPosts: 214

Originally posted by Biohazard32

Hi forum folks,
    I know people are saying the sb.exe crash is rare these days (I played this game when it first game out 6 years ago or whatever it was, and it was terrible then), but years later I'm giving it a second try by some friend's requests and I'm getting sb.exe constantly.  At first it was basically when I'd attack creatures.  Sometimes,though, I get 10 seconds or less of game time.  It will crash a lot when I attack, even take out my weapon sometimes, switch areas, when the background fades into the game when first logging on, and when the text telling you where you are when you enter the game comes up.  It's absolutely rediculous, and the game will let me play for a while once every 25 tries or so maybe.

I'm wondering if there are any known tweaks I can do to remedy this problem, and if not I will obviously be quitting.  It will just be a shame, because the gameplay is a lot of fun, when I can actually play it.
    I'm running windows XP with a computer that goes above and beyond anything the game's requirements might suggest.  AND, all my video drivers are up to date, and malware taken care of.  Thanks in advanced if anyone has advice.

keep in mind it is an OLD game, and thus newer hardware works much different than some older stuff.  especially if it's direct x 10 compatible.  ie. geforce 8000 series on up or any newer ATI card.

from the patcher window click SB Config then find the graphics tab then disable the first 4 rendering options you see with check marks on them.  they are Use Multiple Arrays, Generate Mipmaps in hardware, Use Occlusion query and Cache Meshes in hardware.  All that is done automatically in most hardware and some of the options like Use Occlusion query is completely incomaptible with newer graphics cards and its not needed.  you can play with the texturing to maxamize your own experience depending on your video card.  SB isn't the most effecient game in the world so take small steps until you get it where you like it.

nonetheless, that's what i did and SB works fine and i'm using Vista even :/

Yeah I'm playing on Uthgard but their launcher isnt supported since it went to 1.89 so they use a launcher that basically has all known DAoC shards. So far though, Uthgard is by far the best.

Originally posted by Jamkull

Originally posted by Biohazard32

Hi forum folks,

keep in mind it is an OLD game, and thus newer hardware works much different than some older stuff.  especially if it's direct x 10 compatible.  ie. geforce 8000 series on up or any newer ATI card.

from the patcher window click SB Config then find the graphics tab then disable the first 4 rendering options you see with check marks on them.  they are Use Multiple Arrays, Generate Mipmaps in hardware, Use Occlusion query and Cache Meshes in hardware.  All that is done automatically in most hardware and some of the options like Use Occlusion query is completely incomaptible with newer graphics cards and its not needed.  you can play with the texturing to maxamize your own experience depending on your video card.  SB isn't the most effecient game in the world so take small steps until you get it where you like it.

nonetheless, that's what i did and SB works fine and i'm using Vista even :/

Wow so far this works for the ATI 9250 as well on my desktop. YAY DUAL BOX TIME!