Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where are the groups?

ryeguy1ryeguy1 Member Posts: 2

I'm new to this game. I know that the new era of mmo's are solo friendly, but do people group? I'm only level 14 so I'm not expecting much, but I have barely seen anyone at all out in the field. What level do I have to get through before it starts actually feeling like a multiplayer game? Is there a part of the game where you actually have to party? That would be great.

Comments

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

It really depends on what server you are playing on to be honest, although the game is generally very group friendly, if you are on a mature server most people starting new chars will solo 1-20 pretty quickly. You are heading into the levels now where people are going to start doing instance runs, so you should find quite a few people willing to group for those. Also, it would be a good idea to find a guild with similar level people, that way you always have a number of people you can group with anyway regardless of other being around.

Good luck and have fun.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    People usually level alone, but group while going to instances. If you want groups the easiest way is probably to use the LFG/LFM -tool to look for an instance group once you are appropriate level. If you play horde you can already try going to Ragefire Chasm -instance, whereas if you play alliance you'll need to wait until you are nearly level 20 to get to first instance in alliance areas, The Deadmines.

I'm not saying that you couldn't find also a group for something other. But especially people who aren't playing with their first character rarely bother to group with strangers to do anything but instances at lower levels. It's easier just to quest alone.

If you are on a recommended -population server, then you'll be more likely to see new players who are more willing to group for anything.

And with /who -command you'll be able to see all players who are online, and ask them to something if you want. Typing /who lists all players around your level on the area you are in, typing /who 12-16 lists all players between levels 12-16 currently on the server, etc. The command never gives more than 49 results even if there are more players.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

try the new server, Cairne

you will see tons of people

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

I agreee the newer servers will have more groups. But groups are to be had on all servers. IN general PUG (Pick up Groups) have diminished..especially at the upper levels where coordination is key. I found it was best to solo till about 50, then start grouping.

IN the end, the best way to ensure grouping is find a guild, preferably one with active members of similar level to yours. If not, When you do find a group , make sure you are courteous, attentive and enjoyable. You may even want to offer loot to someone else in the group. This wil make it very likely you wil be placed on their friends list and asked back another time. Short term loss wil give you a long term gain. After every grouping, tell everyone thankyou and place them on your friends list as well

Good Luck

Torrential

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

Originally posted by ryeguy1

I'm new to this game. I know that the new era of mmo's are solo friendly, but do people group? I'm only level 14 so I'm not expecting much, but I have barely seen anyone at all out in the field. What level do I have to get through before it starts actually feeling like a multiplayer game? Is there a part of the game where you actually have to party? That would be great.

The onus is on you my friend to find groups, they won't come looking for you.

Whenever you are questing look for others who seem to be on the same quest or killing the same mobs and ask them if they would like to group up.  Most people will if asked nicely and not just given a random group invite.  Also use the LFG tool to find groups in your area for instances and such. 

Once you are in a group, take the time to talk to the other members of the group.  Find out if they are in a guild and if so, what it's like, if they welcome new recruits, if there are other members around your level and whatnot.  If you like what you hear, see if you can get a guild invite.  In my opinion, joining a guild is one of the best ways to find readily available group members.  If you don't like the guild or your not seeing much benefit from being in the guild after a few days, feel free to thank the guild for the guild invite, tell them you are leaving and quit the guild and look for another.  People come and go alot, so don't feel obligated to stay with a guild that you're not getting much out of.

Once you find a decent guild I think you'll find the game takes on a whole new aspect.  Use the guild chat to ask if people need help on quests and such or would like to help you on a quest or 2.  If you'll help others in the guild, they are much more likely to help you in return.  Do this for a bit and you'll quickly get a reputation as a good guild member and you'll have people wanting to group up with you.

It takes a bit of work on your part to start to build a community of players you know, but once you do that, you'll never need to look for groups again.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by ryeguy1

Yes. I play solo & also group regularly. There are group quests and you have to group to do level-appropriate instances. Group quests & instances are probably more important once you hit 40-50 range.

The first 20 levels or so are very very solo-friendly (and also fast).

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Most games that have been out a few years tend to be top heavy and less group oriented at low levels.  Just shout out in whatever zone you are in that you would like to team up with anyone around and do quests.  Also use the LFG tool to find groups.  The WOW looking for group tool is pretty bad though.

• DeViLzzz2008DeViLzzz2008 Member Posts: 15

Sorry but the time it takes to find groups now is ridiculous as people either power lvl their toons themselves or pay for it.  I mean don't get me wrong as well I have levelled my current toon quickly and along the way have found quite a few instance runs but as for questing it is far and few between the times you get groups.  Heck I have seen Alliance walk right by my toon (Alliance) and just let him die and today luckily some people noticed I was poking fun at people questing in the pirate area of Tanaris and not grouping even though things would take less time if grouped and well my answer to that is you have companies power leveln toons so they are not going to want to help out people who are not buying the accounts and then also why would you want to help others who might hit 70 faster than you and steal your spot in the raiding guild you want ?!?!?  I know this sounds crazy and such but it could be true for some players.  I personally like grouped questing cuz things get done quick, they are more exciting as you can pull more npc #s .. mobs .. uhmmm the gaming is more intense, and well it is nice to have company in a vast world like that soooooo ....

hopefully the people that played WOW will learn from their experiences in this mmo and improve their play and so on in the new MMORPG of Warhammer when it comes out .... uhmm now I am not going to play Warhammer but it is good that there may be an alternative that is worthy and it would be a fresh opportunity to set things right with MMORPG communities ...