Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debating on coming back and trying it again

joejccva71joejccva71 Member UncommonPosts: 848

I haven't played since right before the NGE started, then found out (from all the feedback) how horrible it was so I had decided not to even re-subscribe back in the day.

Now I'm bored and wanted to try SWG again and see what the NGE was about, etc. I have been reading all these posts in this forum with some good but mostly bad and am having second thoughts but I guess it doesn't hurt to give the free trial a go.

One thing I noticed is that people here mention how dead the servers are, but I took a stroll over to the official forums and they are packed with players that ARE in fact stll playing, especially on Bria (my old server). People are auctioning and selling/buying gear and items like it used to be.

Totally confused now about this. How many of you tried the trial and either hated it and left or was surprised and sub'd again??

Your thoughts? Your HONEST thoughts. :)

Thanks.

Comments

• Do the free trial. I play on and off. Currently haven't played for about 4 months, but no one should tell you if the game is worth playing or not. The anti-soe fanbois will tell you its terrible even if they haven't logged in in over 2 years, and the soe fanbois will say its an amazing game with no flaws. I think you can probly get a 21 day vet trial like they used to do, no clue whats going on currently for that stuff.

Goodluck

• Sam123jo0123Sam123jo0123 Member Posts: 409

I currently enjoy it, most who say negative things havn't tried the game in 2 years, so it's best to try it yourself and if you don't like it, fair doo's atleast you gave it a try :)

Good-luck and welcome back.

Account has been stolen, why would someone want to steal my account?

• TettersTetters Member Posts: 221

The only thing you can do is get a trial and try it out. I have popped in and out of the game since the nge and although its nice to be back, the game is not what I played it for at launch so I don't enjoy it, but thats just me and I can't speak for anyone but me. The one thing I found was a very diluted population but again, thats just my view. I am happy that people still play and enjoy the game, even if I don't, and I hope that it does continue onwards. One thing I hated was seeing all the Jedi's running around, that just seems wrong to me.

Try and give it a go.

• Devildog1Devildog1 Member Posts: 494

As the other two have said either get the 14 day trial from the web site or see if you have a vet trial. I left in Aug of 06 so I can't comment on the state of the game now but the reason I left was because with every publish something got nerfed and I got sick of seeing the nerf bat or worse they would ninja nerf stuff and you'd log and go find some mobs to kill only to find that the skilll you used on them was half as effective as befor and when they did fix stuff they usually broke more than they fixed so it was hotfixes galore. The straw that broke the camels back for me was when they nerfed the Spy cloak ability and made them almost useless in PVP as that was thier main weapon!

• See my sig.  Use the trial.  Under NO circumstances pay SOE any $$$ until you are certain you are satisfied with the NGE game.

I personally don't think you will like it, but you need to try it for yourself.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

Play the Free Trial, do NOT pay for this game until you have done so for a few days.

The game is aweful, I've played it a number of times since the NGE hit, little changes except the servers get more and more dead each time I log on.

It's depressing and sad that SOE/LA have let it get this bad...

Don't spend a dime.

Tecmo Bowl.

• joejccva71joejccva71 Member UncommonPosts: 848

I'll try the free trial and go in thinking it will suck...then maybe I'll be surprised. LOL.

It's too bad though. I really miss how SWG used to be whether it was pre-CU or post-cu/pre-nge. So many folks complained about the CU but I as well as alot of others liked it, and it wasn't bad. I was a MBH/MCarb at first, then switched to MBH/MCM/Pistols 0004 I think? lol

Those were the good ol' days and it was very fun. The populations were great then.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Check into your station account ("My account" at the SWG forums at the top right corner) and see if you have "pending" on your sub status, you might have a vet trial waiting.

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

up to you if you want to come back, its your money.ur best bet is the trial.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Originally posted by joejccva

One thing I noticed is that people here mention how dead the servers are, but I took a stroll over to the official forums and they are packed with players that ARE in fact stll playing, especially on Bria (my old server). People are auctioning and selling/buying gear and items like it used to be.
    Totally confused now about this. How many of you tried the trial and either hated it and left or was surprised and sub'd again??
    Your thoughts? Your HONEST thoughts. :)
    Thanks.
    If you're judging the activity of a server based on the official forums - and if you've played pre-CU - you should have noticed how slowly a thread moves off the first page now. Particularily on the Gameplay forum. There was a time when a thread could disappear off the first page in minutes due to so much activity and concurrent discussions. Currently 19 out of 25 servers are listed as very light and light, with 2 reaching a "heavy" status. Hardly something I would call "packed" as there are still a few tiers above heavy before becoming a full server.

As for my honest thoughts on SWG I'd have to say that I personally find the gameplay dedundant, stagnant, and downright boring. I crave something more from an MMO, and Galaxies just cannot provide that with it's linear progression, trivial expertise, and instant gratification focus. Nothing groundbreaking has been introduced into SWG since player cities, and I doubt there will ever be anything forthcoming.

SWG has clearly entered it's twilight years. With the recent news of the merger between SoE and the Sony division responsible for the PS3 it seems quite clear that the future of MMO's for Sony is in the PS3/console medium. Their focus is shifting and that is leaving PC based MMO's behind unless they can find a way to accomodate SWG in this new convergence - and the only way to do that is to further dumb it down or convert it into an RMT based game.

In short, SWG is showing it's age - badly. Too many outstanding issues are causing an adverse effect on people. The UI needs addressing desperately, as does the issue of server mergers. Graphics are badly dated, and the lack of the third axis has kept everyone firmly planted on the ground. And still NPC's are shooting through walls, yet there has been many "collections" thrown in to obscure the truth behind the lack of any real progress.

I'll try the free trial and go in thinking it will suck...then maybe I'll be surprised. LOL.
    It's too bad though. I really miss how SWG used to be whether it was pre-CU or post-cu/pre-nge. So many folks complained about the CU but I as well as alot of others liked it, and it wasn't bad. I was a MBH/MCarb at first, then switched to MBH/MCM/Pistols 0004 I think? lol
    Those were the good ol' days and it was very fun. The populations were great then.

I too actually enjoyed the CU. 

Tecmo Bowl.

Originally posted by sookster54
    Check into your station account ("My account" at the SWG forums at the top right corner) and see if you have "pending" on your sub status, you might have a vet trial waiting.

I just read a post while doing a search on the official forums where someone said that the "vet trial" thing expired last December.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

Originally posted by sookster54

I just read a post while doing a search on the official forums where someone said that the "vet trial" thing expired last December.

There was a vet trial going as recently as a month ago.

Login to one of your old accounts, and see if it's "pending".  Those are good for at least 14 days of checking out the game with your old toons.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• smg77smg77 Member Posts: 672
    Originally posted by Sam123jo0123

most who say negative things havn't tried the game in 2 years

Stop spreading lies.

• Originally posted by smg77

Originally posted by Sam123jo0123

most who say negative things havn't tried the game in 2 years

Stop spreading lies.

Most of the time it isn't a lie. Many people moan complain and groan and the last time they logged in was 1 month after NGE or they log into the vet trials for 1 hour and go o i hate it and log out. Giving out information with such a vantage point. I am not saying all people who dislike the game are like this, but I for one have seen a large trend of people bashing games that haven't logged in for a year+.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I just resubbed this month and am having an amount of fun, but I can't do so on my original server which is pretty much a graveyard... I started a new character on one of the more populated servers these days... I think bloodfin and bria are the most populated ones now but you might wanna check on that because I'm not positive.

Well I downloaded the 14-day trial, and used my veteran account to login. I saw my level 80 Jedi on Bria there, and logged on. Took me a while to re-learn a few things, but a few people at Dantooine Mining Outpost were helping.

Before I started to do anything, I wanted to check some populations. I went to Theed and was surprised to see quite a few people there (about 30-40). It wasn't packed but wasn't dead either. I then went to Mos Eisley and saw some folks there in front of the spaceport (probably about 20 or so). As I went back to Theed, couple guys tried to /duel me and I had nothing setup so declined and told them I hadn't played in years so they started taking the initiative to show me some things.

I grabbed a few missions and went out to solo. The combat is nothing like it used to be unfortunately but was somewhat playable.

The problem I see is that while there were alot of folks at Theed whether they were dueling, pvping or just selling stuff...it didn't feel like the old SWG. I also am not sure I want to be a Jedi so I may respec to a BH or Commando or something. I did about 6 missions and then called it a night but was left with an empty feeling kinda.

While I had only played it for 1 night, I have mixed feelings about the game. The combat isn't horrible but I don't really feel the immersion like I used to pre-NGE.

I'll give it a few more days in the trial to see if I really like it or not.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Well I downloaded the 14-day trial, and used my veteran account to login. I saw my level 80 Jedi on Bria there, and logged on. Took me a while to re-learn a few things, but a few people at Dantooine Mining Outpost were helping.
    Before I started to do anything, I wanted to check some populations. I went to Theed and was surprised to see quite a few people there (about 30-40). It wasn't packed but wasn't dead either. I then went to Mos Eisley and saw some folks there in front of the spaceport (probably about 20 or so). As I went back to Theed, couple guys tried to /duel me and I had nothing setup so declined and told them I hadn't played in years so they started taking the initiative to show me some things.
    I grabbed a few missions and went out to solo. The combat is nothing like it used to be unfortunately but was somewhat playable.
    The problem I see is that while there were alot of folks at Theed whether they were dueling, pvping or just selling stuff...it didn't feel like the old SWG. I also am not sure I want to be a Jedi so I may respec to a BH or Commando or something. I did about 6 missions and then called it a night but was left with an empty feeling kinda.
    While I had only played it for 1 night, I have mixed feelings about the game. The combat isn't horrible but I don't really feel the immersion like I used to pre-NGE.
    I'll give it a few more days in the trial to see if I really like it or not.
    As a level 80, be sure to fill out your expertise trees to customise your characters skills to suit how you want to play him/her.  If you haven't already, you can access your expertise trees by opening the Menu (by default, pressing Esc should open it) and clicking Expertise in the list.  You do have quite a few options available so checking out your professions forums for more info on what each does is usually a good idea.

For a more CU like combat experience, read through the guides stickied in this forums for some suggested changes you can make to your keymaps.

• alien1984alien1984 Member Posts: 119

I was in the same boat as you before. I decided to come back only to see my characters were deleted by the company. After i sent in a ticket the GM assured me there was nothing they could do because it has been so long since i have played. They also refused to give me the veteran buff ability even though i bought the game (even pre ordered) 3 days before launch. That in my book makes me a veteran because i supported the game since the release.

So i was stuck with a new character, no special buffs and oddly enough about 2 years of veteran rewards. I don't understand how i had 2 years of veteran rewards and they refused to make me an official veteran so i could buff myself and others. The Gm was not understanding at all and really just gave me a hard time.

Anyways... I leveled up my character from about 1-30 doing quests which seemed ok but it go repetitive after awhile. Then i basically just broke down towers all the way to 90 (this was back when the exp was great for doing it). I tried all the new aspects in the game... the new battleground, piloting and the new class skill system. I really wasn't impressed at all. The game i bought years ago had completely changed for the bad. PvP seems really unbalanced also and the bounty hunter is so boring because 99% of the time your target is in space or in a house where you can't target them.

In short do what others said and try the trial. I just think people stick to it because of the time they invested over the years. I personally find the game boring and meaningless now.

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

Originally posted by Obraik

For a more CU like combat experience, read through the guides stickied in this forums for some suggested changes you can make to your keymaps.
    What Obraik is saying is that it is *HIGHLY RECOMENDED* that you modify the game client.  It's good advice regardless of proving how bad the game is - should play well with default settings, but it does not. The other issues, which are too great to mention, must be overlooked inorder to enjoy the game.

The difference from using a default game client and one that's completely modded out will be the contributing factor if you subscribe or finally put it to rest were it belongs. It's probally the first thing that should be done even before creating a character. 

• ArcheusCrossArcheusCross Member Posts: 793

Originally posted by mindspat

Originally posted by Obraik

What Obraik is saying is that it is *HIGHLY RECOMENDED* that you modify the game client.  It's good advice regardless of proving how bad the game is - should play well with default settings, but it does not. The other issues, which are too great to mention, must be overlooked inorder to enjoy the game.

The difference from using a default game client and one that's completely modded out will be the contributing factor if you subscribe or finally put it to rest were it belongs. It's probally the first thing that should be done even before creating a character. 

I see what you did thar lol.

"Do not fret! Your captain is about to enter Valhalla!" - General Beatrix of Alexandria

"The acquisition of knowledge is of use to the intellect, for nothing can be loved or hated without first being known." - Leo da Vinci

• GutboyGutboy Member Posts: 630

I play the game with the default UI no mods needed, it does not keep me from anything I want to do in game. And yes I have played since June 26th 2003.

Originally posted by Gutboy

I play the game with the default UI no mods needed, it does not keep me from anything I want to do in game. And yes I have played since June 26th 2003.
    Pretty amazing you were playing this game 1 month before it launched.  So gutboy, since you weren't in Beta you must just be telling us a fib...

You probably didn't even play Pre-CU.  It's no big deal but why lie?

Tecmo Bowl.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

mindspat, the UI for SWG was horrible even pre-CU.  At about CU timeframe, they should have revamped the UI completely since even EQ1 had a better UI at that time.  Now, the NGE UI not only carries over the crummy interface quirks of the original UI, but also looks horrible in the process.

Oh, and I have yet to play a mmorpg that I didn't mod the UI if it could be relatively easily done.  I think EQ2 lasted the longest for me without a mod, while WoW might have lasted the shortest time in default mode.

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367
    Originally posted by daeandor

mindspat, the UI for SWG was horrible even pre-CU.  At about CU timeframe, they should have revamped the UI completely... 
    Now, the NGE UI not only carries over the crummy interface quirks of the original UI, but also looks horrible in the process.

*buzz*  Wrong!

first off, for someone who's openly said they don't care about anyone's opinions I fail to understand why you persistantly troll these forums, but I'll help with your mistakes:

Pre-cu worked and it worked very well. It was not the most aesthetically appearing and the pseudo mono chromatic icons were in fact drab.  Regardless of it's basic appearance it functioned extremly well.   

The tool bar had a revamp during the CU.  While the "box" stayed the same ALL of the icons were changed.  Don't you recall the first impressions of how bad they looked?

The "new game enhancemnts" did in fact recieve an entirely new tool bar.  The only similarity between the nge and any of the previous tool bars was the icons placed in them.  The nge's bar did *not* function anything like it had in the two previous versions of the game. 

Anyone else recall how official memebers of the SOE SWG development team said it would be too much work to recreate a second tool bar -  The single toolbar interface was forced upon the player base in the nge.  It took a total of about 10 minutes from download to implementation for a user without any programing experiance to add the impossible 2nd tool bar.  This mod was later deemed an exploit since it alledgedly gave users with the 2nd tool bar an unfair advantage over the buggy and crummy default tool bar they intended everyone to use for the "nge".

Honestly, I cannot think of a single error or bug with the pre-cu toolbar.  In fact, the bugs didn't start appearing until the CU - Specials started to bug out and/or would triple fire without adhering to any timers - you could break the timers and bypass the cooldown.

Customization and peronalization is a human trait of individuality.  And with the "new game enhancements" (ie, current game play) all of this (32 classes of skills to chose from) was removed which is why it failed so drastically, besides SOE committing fraud.