Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm thinking about trying FFXI, but I may need help.

fedfiercefedfierce Member UncommonPosts: 60

Ok guys, for the last week I've been looking for something to satisfy my thirst for an immersive MMO, i really want to try this game, but I was wondering what kind of gameplay there is in the game and if it is well suited for an ex-wow player. Thanks in advance.

BTW what expacs should I get plus any advice would be must appreciated, also help with the highest population servers. thanks

Comments

• korvixkorvix Member Posts: 477

here is a nice Video Review that gives it a fair review: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/10940.html

Everything mentioned as not in the game yet is and including another expansion...so its a little old but gives you the info you need to make a decision if its for your or not.

I just started and im loving it...loads of fun if you go in with a open mind. It takes a bit to get used to the odd controls and the lengthy install and updating, also if you do get it make sure you config it before loggin in or the graphics are really bad. You will also want to check out http://www.windower.net/ it makes the game much more playable for the PC, think of it like CT_MOD for wow or something like that.

When I discribe the gameplay to my firends I tell them "its more like you are playing a Multiplayer FF/RPG than a MMO."

~HappyGaming

PS: I hear its a lot better if you have a controller (PS2 Type) b/c thats what the game was designed for. I use a n52 Speedpad and I have no problems with the controls.

• DiophantusDiophantus Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by korvix

here is a nice Video Review that gives it a fair review: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/10940.html

Everything mentioned as not in the game yet is and including another expansion...so its a little old but gives you the info you need to make a decision if its for your or not.
    I just started and im loving it...loads of fun if you go in with a open mind. It takes a bit to get used to the odd controls and the lengthy install and updating, also if you do get it make sure you config it before loggin in or the graphics are really bad. You will also want to check out http://www.windower.net/ it makes the game much more playable for the PC, think of it like CT_MOD for wow or something like that.
    When I discribe the gameplay to my firends I tell them "its more like you are playing a Multiplayer FF/RPG than a MMO."
    ~HappyGaming
     PS: I hear its a lot better if you have a controller (PS2 Type) b/c thats what the game was designed for. I use a n52 Speedpad and I have no problems with the controls.

Korvix pretty much said it all... "loads of fun if you go in with a open mind." 

I have been playing FFXI off and on since 2003 in between breaks I have played WoW, Vanguard, EvE, LotR, D&D and, NOTHING compares to FFXI. 

It is a grind at first, there is no doubt there, and if you are comming from WoW you are probably going to hate this game cause it "seems" to be to hard.  You do NOT fight 2-3 mobs at a time like in WoW sometimes.  Battles are not over in seconds or, 5-6 hits like in WoW.  This is where most WoW players hate FFXI and some claim it is "too hard". 

FFXI will take LOADS of time from you but, it is very rewarding in the end.  The community on the server that I play on is wonderful and very helpful.  I play on Kujata.  If you know about other Final Fantasy games or have played them you will see ALOT of similarities.  FFXI is basically FF Tactics in a certain way.  The jobs in Tactics are used in FFXI and clothing is also used.  For instance:  as a White Mage your primary focus is healing.  When you reach level 50 you can start your quest for your Artifact Armor.  You may not be able to wear it until level 52 however you can start the quest.  Once you are level 60 you may put on your full set.  A full set consists of feet, hands, body, head, and legs.  5 pieces, some are easy to obtain some are not.  When you have the full set on you can see that the armor is very similar to the armor in FF Tactics.

If you have patience and understand that the game has been out since 2002 and, probably needs an update in the graphics department (which can be done IF and ONLY IF YOU ARE PLAYING ON A PC...) you will like it.  If you go into it with a open mind and understand that you are now in Vana'diel, you will see the rewards...it may not be seen at the beginning but it is there...

Hope to see you around...Diophantus