Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

causes of schizophrenia

wyvexwyvex Member UncommonPosts: 346
does drug use lead to schizophrenia? people have told me it does and other people said that it doesnt. my mom tryed to tell me that some she knows suffered from schizophrenia because of weed, which i find really hard to belive.

Comments

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461

Originally posted by wyvex

does drug use lead to schizophrenia? people have told me it does and other people said that it doesnt. my mom tryed to tell me that some she knows suffered from schizophrenia because of weed, which i find really hard to belive.

We think that the Wikipedia article is correct in stating that correlation is no causation. We could be wrong, however.

• War_EagleWar_Eagle Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 472

Yes.  Drugs can trigger schizophrenia.

From what I've learned, schizophrenia (to an extent) is a mostly inherited condition.  However, a person can have the inherited potential for schizophrenia but never show the symptoms of the disease.  These can stay away until something in the environment triggers them to the surface.

Short answer, why risk it?  Just take care of yourself and enjoy your life.  There are all kinds of crowds of people you can choose to run around with.  Why pick one that's going to run the risk of f'n up your health?  Be wise and pick your friends as wisely.  Without that influence then the temptation will be manageable.  We're all curious to some extent or another, so you've got to keep your curiosity from overcoming you.

Those types of things can cause problems that will follow you until the end of your life.  That's a hefty price to pay for a mistake you make at a young age.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All Rights Reversed

• ZikielZikiel Member Posts: 1,138

I don't recall that particular theory ever being conclusively proven. They still don't know quite what causes it, but it's typically a fine mix of genetics, abusive home life, and some other thing that I can't remember..

Anyway, she said she suffered schizophrenia from weed? Meaning that she no longer has it? Schizophrenia doesn't wear off. If that's what she called it, she probably did some weed with some additives, or she had a bad high, and had some anxiety issues from that.

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461

Originally posted by War_Eagle

Short answer, why risk it?  Just take care of yourself and enjoy your life.  There are all kinds of crowds of people you can choose to run around with.  Why pick one that's going to run the risk of f'n up your health?  Be wise and pick your friends as wisely.  Without that influence then the temptation will be manageable.  We're all curious to some extent or another, so you've got to keep your curiosity from overcoming you.

So why risk driving a car? Cars kill more people annually than terrorism.

In 2004 more than 42,000 people died in traffic (that's only the US). One in 555 cars will end its career with a death passenger. (source)

Since there isn't a single study confirming marijuana use causes schizophrenia it's rather hard, if not impossible to compare the risks of using a car with the risk of using marijuana.

My gut feeling tells me that a direct link IS bullshit.

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

as far as causes of schizophrenia aside from heritidity.

Most of it is severe pyscholical trauma, causing people the actually develop multiple personalities to cope with life.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• ZikielZikiel Member Posts: 1,138

You triggered one of my pet peeves.. Schizophrenia and Multiple Personality Disorder aren't the same thing. It's a pretty basic mistake.. but everyone makes it. 

Anyway. Yeah, that's typically where we get MPD from, the severe trauma and what not.

Schizophrenia doesn't actually create new personalities, it just causes delusions and the like. Well.. one type of it does, hallucinations are associated with Paranoid Schizophrenia. Paranoid has hallucinations (no dammit! I am not listening to all of you!), and also delusions (Ahh aliens/ MiBs/ whatever are coming!)

There's also Catatonic, where the person spends a lot of time immobile in strange positions (ever see Patch Adams? There's a guy in it with this, spends all his time with his hand raised).

And.. I can't remember what the 3rd one was.. Oh. looked it up, Disorganized. That's the one you typically see when you think of crazy hobos wearing beach gear, a pumpkin hat, and a polka dotted thong. People with it usually just act very.. ah.. disorganized. In every way. Speech, dress, movement, all of them.

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

Originally posted by Zikiel

You triggered one of my pet peeves.. Schizophrenia and Multiple Personality Disorder aren't the same thing. It's a pretty basic mistake.. but everyone makes it. 
    Anyway. Yeah, that's typically where we get MPD from, the severe trauma and what not.
    Schizophrenia doesn't actually create new personalities, it just causes delusions and the like. Well.. one type of it does, hallucinations are associated with Paranoid Schizophrenia. Paranoid has hallucinations (no dammit! I am not listening to all of you!), and also delusions (Ahh aliens/ MiBs/ whatever are coming!)
    There's also Catatonic, where the person spends a lot of time immobile in strange positions (ever see Patch Adams? There's a guy in it with this, spends all his time with his hand raised).
    And.. I can't remember what the 3rd one was.. Oh. looked it up, Disorganized. That's the one you typically see when you think of crazy hobos wearing beach gear, a pumpkin hat, and a polka dotted thong. People with it usually just act very.. ah.. disorganized. In every way. Speech, dress, movement, all of them.

So basically denis leary in rescue me then?????

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.