Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think its time to Redo the game Completely. SWG 2

KrayzjoelKrayzjoel Member Posts: 906

I really believe its time to totally redo the SWG game( meaning make a new one). george Lucas needs to step in a take a look at the new and old threads. From what i read it was a great game and after the changes ppl were very disguntled. I cant blame them for what i read.

Star wars has a rich and Vibrant atmosphere with a great fan base. I really believe its time to make and entirely new game using new updated graphics and learning from where SOE went wrong.

From what i saw SWG doesnt have alot of players right now and would be a great time for a "new " game.

Now understand that i never got  the chance to play as the download didnt work, but im sure i would have enjoyed mnay aspects of the game.

Thanks all!

Played : WOW, LOTRO, COH/COV, EQ2, SWG, and WAR.
Playing EVE Online and AOC.
Wtg for SW:TOR and WOD

Comments

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Despite popular theories, LucasArts has always had a heavy involvement with SWG.  The problems you percieve SWG to have are just as much to do with LucasArts as they do with SOE.

However, LucasArts has gone on record a few times to say that they have no future plans for a succesor to SWG - SWG is their main focus.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

I absolutely, whole-heartedly agree witht he OP.

But I personally don't want to see it be an RMT model game. That's my main concern atm.

• Ollie77Ollie77 Member Posts: 164
    Originally posted by Obraik

Despite popular theories, LucasArts has always had a heavy involvement with SWG.  The problems you percieve SWG to have are just as much to do with LucasArts as they do with SOE.
    However, LucasArts has gone on record a few times to say that they have no future plans for a succesor to SWG - SWG is their main focus.

Which is what they'll keep saying until they've got an mmo that they can show to the general public.  Obraik, no matter how much you enjoy the game and somehow don't take issue with the flaws a lot of us see the one thing that you must agree on is that a Star Wars themed mmo should be doing a whole lot better than SWG is currently, or frankly... ever has done at anytime in it's release. If we can all see that, you can bet your ass the suits at Lucas Arts/Film etc can see it too. It's a blemish on the brand.

Can't counter an argument with a valid discussion point? Fishermage(aka Fisherprice) recommends you cut and paste: ad hominem

"You will come to the conclusion that the only people crazier than the managers who thought this a good idea are those who put up with it and pay for it." - Salvaje (who paid to play the NGE for 18 months) /golfclap

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

It better not be hosted by SOE, and it better not be an RMT- but the sad part is that RMT seems to be an interest for future MMOs, this will destroy MMOs.

I've also been hearing that LA might back out of their plans with Bioware and whatever project that Bioware has been working on.

• scorchshinscorchshin Member Posts: 41

Some new info on the Bioware Starwars MMORPG. 

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3166834

• Katashi-kunKatashi-kun Member Posts: 517

Originally posted by scorchshin

Yeah, was just about to post that info!  It was a no-brainer that the new MMO was gonna be SW title!  I actually loved KOTOR, and an MMO in that setting would be amazing and then to top it off with a cherry it wouldn't be owned by Sony so I would definitely play it!

Kemih ~ 13 Red Mage | Currently playing FFXI & LOTRO, awaiting Warhammer Online & Aion...

Interesting.

And they'd have to screw it up pretty badly for it not to be a blockbuster.

Again, another "friend of a friend" type story.  Still nothing official.

You're right. But when it comes from a gaming site you'd have to think that have have sources in the industry, and they have a reptutation to protect.

It's not confirmation of any kind, but I think it holds a little more reliability then some indiscriminate post on a forum.

The whole Bioware SW rumor just feels right IMO. The rumor keeps coming up because there is obviously interest in it. To not take advantage of an industry primed for a strong SW MMO would be simply bad business.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

The question is why are YOU not excited about the possibility of an MMO based on Star Wars theme  like anyother SW fan out there  in the Universe i can think of ?

In short what is your priority Star Wars or $OE ?

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• Ollie77Ollie77 Member Posts: 164
    Originally posted by Suvroc

You're right. But when it comes from a gaming site you'd have to think that have have sources in the industry, and they have a reptutation to protect.

It's not confirmation of any kind, but I think it holds a little more reliability then some indiscriminate post on a forum.

The whole Bioware SW rumor just feels right IMO. The rumor keeps coming up because there is obviously interest in it. To not take advantage of an industry primed for a strong SW MMO would be simply bad business.

Also worth noting that it's come at a time when interest in the project has been dropping, the thread on BioWare's boards has gone awefully quiet and there's not been any coverage of late on any gaming sites really, could well be a well placed case of viral marketing, something I think BioWare will be increasingly involved in more and more now they're in the EA family.

Can't counter an argument with a valid discussion point? Fishermage(aka Fisherprice) recommends you cut and paste: ad hominem

"You will come to the conclusion that the only people crazier than the managers who thought this a good idea are those who put up with it and pay for it." - Salvaje (who paid to play the NGE for 18 months) /golfclap

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

LA's problem for a long time, ever since Ep 1 came out 9 years ago, has been that they think that the IP alone is enough for their games to be successful, and by successful I mean wildly successful, cultural-impact successful.

They are of course wrong, just as Lucas himself thinks his IP is enough to make his movies a success on that scale.

They have not been.  The prequels didn't match the original trilogy for culutural impact.  They might have matched or exceeded the originals for hype...as do the games.  But the problem is, the quality is lacking.  SWG suffered from this with its premature release, the lack of direction once it was released, and the preoccupation with fixing things rather than adding content that has plauged the game ever since.  How much better would the game be if they had just concentrated on fixing what they had instead of replacing what they'd already done?  This is the classic question about SWG...it's asked here on these boards on a weekly basis at least.

The only think keeping Galaxies alive is the IP.  As a gaming system it's an abject failure...a copy of WoW without the elements that make WoW the success it is, because SOE doesn't believe in smooth gameplay, in bug free software, in an elegant interface.  SOE can't be bothered with these things, they conflcit with SOE's fundamentally dishonest business model, which still can't grasp that Blizzard is makng money hands over fist because they invested time and money in putting out the product they did.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

The last episode of this rumour also game from a gaming news site. 

Why aren't I excited about this news?  It's not that I don't want to see another Star Wars MMO but I'm not going to get excited about "friend of a friend" type news.

• I only want to see a new Star Wars MMO if NONE of the people involved with the current one even has the phone numbers of the people doing the new one.

Why aren't I excited about this news?  It's not that I don't want to see another Star Wars MMO but I'm not going to get excited about "friend of a friend" type news.

Again, because these gaming sites must have some inside industry sources I'd say it's more significant then "a friend".

However, you do agree that the industry is ready for a new Star Wars MMO?

Again, because these gaming sites must have some inside industry sources I'd say it's more significant then "a friend".

These are the same game news sites that were reporting that SWG would be shutting down back in 2006 or that SOE was losing the license.  Forgive me if I'm rather doubtful ;)

As for a new Star Wars MMO, I'm not so sure on that.  I'm still enjoying the one we have and I think there's plenty that can still be done with it without needing to make a whole new one.

These are the same game news sites that were reporting that SWG would be shutting down back in 2006 or that SOE was losing the license.  Forgive me if I'm rather doubtful ;)

As for a new Star Wars MMO, I'm not so sure on that.  I'm still enjoying the one we have and I think there's plenty that can still be done with it without needing to make a whole new one.

We don't know exactly what happened behind closed doors. We don't know if SWG had been close to shutting down in '06. It's possible right?

We all know how you feel about SWG. My questions was do you think others are ready for a new SW MMO? Do you think there is enough market interest in making a new one?

Why aren't I excited about this news? It's not that I don't want to see another Star Wars MMO but I'm not going to get excited about "friend of a friend" type news.

Hey do remember or know how we first heard about the NGE? It was also a "friend of a friend" type thing, it started in August-Sept 2005 and none of us took it seriously, things like "Jedi as a starting profession" with reference "from an inside source" and such, I still remember the very first post on the official SWG forums referring to it, "I just came back from Austin, we tested this new star wars game and I think it's awesome". And this was just 4 months into the combat upgrade, who was to take THAT seriously? It wasn't until the end of Octobor (a few days after publish 24) a dev stepped in and announced that it was going on testcenter, that's when servers like Bria were littered with protesters that forced CSRs to spawn Jedi sentinals and SBDs.

If you don't believe me, look up that shit, there's a site somewhere out there (I forget the url) that has archived forum posts.

• SunkastSunkast Member Posts: 16

Listen here Obraik,
    I went out to the store and bought this game the day it came out. Before we had vehicles, before any thoughts of Jedi were around, basically it was like a beta game. I enjoyed it. All my friends enjoyed it. Over the next few months a few things were released like vehicles etc. I was on Bria, the most popular server and had a constant Rebel vs. Imperial battle going on on almost every planet. Big guilds fighting other big guilds everyday. I swear it was the most fun I had on an MMO EVER. Then there was the village...the grinds...the CU...it all went downhill. Now I have no idea how you have fun on this game now, with WoW like controls and an absolutely shitty combat system. You have to take into account most of the people posting here have similar stories to mine and really have their MMO experience crushed by SOE.

You can see why we are all excited by the faintest news about a new Star Wars MMO.

I really hate your optimism for SWG, and personally I'd like you to shove it.
  • Osprey22Osprey22 Member UncommonPosts: 42

Originally posted by Sunkast

Listen here Obraik, I went out to the store and bought this game the day it came out. Before we had vehicles, before any thoughts of Jedi were around, basically it was like a beta game. I enjoyed it. All my friends enjoyed it. Over the next few months a few things were released like vehicles etc. I was on Bria, the most popular server and had a constant Rebel vs. Imperial battle going on on almost every planet. Big guilds fighting other big guilds everyday. I swear it was the most fun I had on an MMO EVER. Then there was the village...the grinds...the CU...it all went downhill. Now I have no idea how you have fun on this game now, with WoW like controls and an absolutely shitty combat system. You have to take into account most of the people posting here have similar stories to mine and really have their MMO experience crushed by SOE. You can see why we are all excited by the faintest news about a new Star Wars MMO. I really hate your optimism for SWG, and personally I'd like you to shove it.

/agree 100%

• aiwe2143aiwe2143 Member UncommonPosts: 73

Originally posted by Osprey22

Originally posted by Sunkast

Listen here Obraik, I went out to the store and bought this game the day it came out. Before we had vehicles, before any thoughts of Jedi were around, basically it was like a beta game. I enjoyed it. All my friends enjoyed it. Over the next few months a few things were released like vehicles etc. I was on Bria, the most popular server and had a constant Rebel vs. Imperial battle going on on almost every planet. Big guilds fighting other big guilds everyday. I swear it was the most fun I had on an MMO EVER. Then there was the village...the grinds...the CU...it all went downhill. Now I have no idea how you have fun on this game now, with WoW like controls and an absolutely shitty combat system. You have to take into account most of the people posting here have similar stories to mine and really have their MMO experience crushed by SOE. You can see why we are all excited by the faintest news about a new Star Wars MMO. I really hate your optimism for SWG, and personally I'd like you to shove it.

/agree 100%

I have similar feelings to you in regards to the old game, the implementation of the new model, etc.  Heck I wasn't even into MMO's or starwars when I started playing and it gave me a love for both.  Not to mention a sense of freedom and community that I have never seen in another MMO.  But I have to admire Obraik for sticking to his guns and supporting a game that he enjoys. 

Someone posted a while back that they wouldn't go back if they reverted back to Pre-Cu because it would be hypocritical.  It would be doing to other people what was done to us.  Screwing other people out of something they enjoy.   You want to blame someone for the SWG screwup, I say you've got your fair share of official people to flame without targeting those in this community who have managed to state their opinions respectfully like Obraik has been.

That being said, I am very very very hopeful that the Bioware rumors will turn out to be true ^^ I don't care what part of the timeline they put it in, I would love to "live" in that universe again :)  I can't bring myself to adjust to the new SWG simply because it's SOE (and due to the memories I used to have about the game, just not the same) but I could bring myself to start over in a new game with a new company.  Any trust that I could have put in SOE that they would not do the NGE thing again  was taken away once they completely changed gameplay for EQ2 and I think theyre doing the same for Vanguard now if the forum posts are any sign.

Honestly, I think theyre just to lazy to put that much variety in their games anymore.  They seem to be happy enough coasting along.

It's probably the ONLY MMO he's ever played. :)

My problem Aiwe2143 is not that someone likes the game, but in encouraging others to join this version of SWG you are encouraging SoE to do another NGE somewhere else.

Revamping the game again to a pre-CU version would be just as unfair, and thus I  would certainly not encourage others to join it as we all lose in the long run.

Paying customers deserve better respect then to be discarded because a corporation wants to try and squeeze some extra cash out of the same product. We should all have a reasonable expectation that the game we play resembles the game we bought.

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

Have to agree with Obraik on this, 1up have a tendency to post whatever they feel will get people hyped and usually its a very see through rumour, theyve always reminded me of those magazines that claim theres a nazi war plane on the moon and elvis is still alive and well living in a trailer park.....

• aiwe2143aiwe2143 Member UncommonPosts: 73

I don't think SOE needs encouragement, lol.   Personally, I think they will continue to do what they are doing regardless of the subscription drops because they think they're that badass.

I wouldn't encourage anyone to play this game either.  I tell everyone I know not to play SOE games, not to support them.  I would have loved to try PotBS because I am a huge pirate fan, but I can't do that because first off its owned by SOE and I know that they will do to it what they have done to their other games, and because I would be tempted to do the station pass and..well, I will not add oxygen to the life support system (station pass) of SOE's games. 

Anyway back to the topic,  I don't think it's wrong to debate a topic with people, in fact I think it should be encouraged, get all of the opinions on the board and see what happens.   I just wish some people would actually take the time/effort (I know there are others out there that do it, and I've read several well written posts by you Suvroc on the SWG topic for example)  to discuss/refute a topic rather than just basically calling someone a f*ing idiot and telling them to shove their opinions.