Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game messed up my computer

rcareyrcarey Member Posts: 63

I was looking over the game list on this site a few days ago checking for a decent game to play when i found Regnum. It looked good and everything about it had the things i look for in a game. The only thing i wasnt looking for was for this game to completely mess my computer up. My computer isnt the greatest in the world but it does me justice when needed. I had to remove this game from my computer because shortly after installing it i got flooded with (what i think was) some sort of virus. i downloaded it directly from the site provided on the game features page so it seemed legit. My computer now keeps automatically updating  and downloading stuff from the internet without even saying what is being downloaded. A box appears every 3 to 4 minutes and says product downloading, product updating yet i have no idea what it is. My computer is now VERY slow and my antivirus software keeps turning on and off every few minutes or so. In the events log in my antivirus software it says that every 4 to 5 minutes "Damage Cleanup" was updated successfully. I am by far no computer whiz. I just want to know if there is anybody out there who can tell me what could possibly be going on and how i can go about fixing the problem(s). Members, staff, computer experts, astronauts... whoever. Help is in dire need!

~i'd rather be forgotten than remembered for giving in~

Comments

• Terrapin54Terrapin54 Member Posts: 23

The game did not corrupt your computer.

Please provide the following information.

Exact Link to where you downloaded the game.    Right click the link, copy link, and paste here.

What Virus program are you running, and have you run it clean, without the game downloading?

Download this free trial version of AVG, and run it.

http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus/3000-2239_4-10385707.html?tag=pao

Do not, repeat, "DO NOT" leave that virus software on when trying to play Requiem.   Just use it now as a secondary check of your system.

Download, install, and run PerfectDisk 2008 Professional, "Free Evaluation".  http://www.perfectdisk.com/products/downloadit/

Go to "Run" and type in DXDIAG.   When the system diagnosis is complete, save the results as .txt on your computer, and copy the first few pages and post them here.

Thanks -Terrapin

• rcareyrcarey Member Posts: 63

Ok. So before i started to download things to try and fix the unknown problem(s) with my computer i defragged it. after rebooting the system my computer hasn't automatically downloaded one thing, which makes me a very happy person.  now i can get back to scanning mmorpg.com for more interesting games to check out! thats what i do at night after my girlfriend goes to work. i sit around and play video games! it keeps me entertained and content.

Thank you very much for the tips though. i do appreciate them! just in case anything else happens to my computer due to (what i think is) a video game ill take the steps that you provided and check it out!

• JackanJackan Member Posts: 6

I've personally found NGD Studios to incredibly reliable and have, ever since the beta, never seen anybody have any such problems. Can't say what your's may be, but I can say that I have never heard of any problems with viruses till your's.

• adrianpfadrianpf Member Posts: 18

As Jackan said, I also never heard of anything like this happen. And it's been a long time since I started playing... almost a year and a half...

The only thing I can say is that maybe you had a virus before and just a coincidence took place...

• Kazzdude1Kazzdude1 Member UncommonPosts: 17

Well if its not too late i suggest restoring computer to an earlier time. I downloaded this game and had no problems , but it stopped working like 3 days afterward. My friend downloaded it too and got a virus and had to go to a computer repairman to get it  fixed

Realise the impotence of proof reading everything you publish

• Snakester95Snakester95 Member UncommonPosts: 47

If you did get a virus it probably was trying to download products making your computer worse. Including your antivirus software turning on and off, the virus was probably screwing with the files in order to make it so it can't get rid of the virus.

I wouldn't know if you did get a virus from this game, but I do believe if you did chances are that virus is smart enough to edit your files and download more viruses/trojans/etc.

Where there's a game, there's a player, I'm that player.

• Yaesu757Yaesu757 Member Posts: 1

Anyhow he don't lose too much, Regnum Online is full of cheats and hacks so playing or not ...

• jaeger1jaeger1 Member Posts: 12

Damn, I never had any of this problems and I've been playing since a lot of time... maybe some people have so little patience that when they don't see some eyecandy effects they start to point out with some unfounded comments... go figure....

• rcareyrcarey Member Posts: 63

Unfounded comments? I really hope that your post isn't in response to my actual problem that DID arise after downloading this game. So far, the post that stated how a virus could have been present BEFORE i tried to play this game and then popped up after the download, seems to be the most probable situation. It doesn't matter now anyways because at this very moment i'm on my new notebook cpu that i bought about two months ago. And Kazz, thanks for posting your experience with this game messing up. I'm not the only one now who has experienced this game being retarded.

Probably still was my cpu though. it sucked.... a lot. I'm downloading Rappelz at the moment so lets hope that the same thing doesn't happen again! Haha, i doubt it will but ya never know.