Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Those who play on high settings, pls advise on these specs

romanswinterromanswinter Member UncommonPosts: 74

I am about to pull the trigger on a deal for a new PC, here are the important "gaming" specs of the PC. Will I be able to play higher than medium setting and get good results with this? Thanks

CPU: AMD Athlon™64 X2 5200+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport TechnologyMOTHERBOARD: Asus M2N SLI NVIDIA nForce 560 SLI MCP Chipset DDR2/800 SATA RAID PCI-Express MBoard w/GbLAN, IEEE1394, USB2.0, &7.1Audio                                                                                                                                MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Mushkin or Major Brand)                                                                                                                                                              VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 512MB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)         VIDEO CARD 2: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 512MB 16X PCI Express

Thanks in advance

Comments

• DefectDefect Member Posts: 246

Uhh dude. The answer is Yes.

That comp is WAY overkill for anything out there today.

• frag123frag123 Member Posts: 9

I don't play vanguard, but I build computers. You're much better off dropping the 2 8600 and getting a single 8800gt for $190, they've dropped so much in price and are still dropping, plus it's a waste of money to go sli unless you're using top of the line cards.

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

Originally posted by frag123
    I don't play vanguard, but I build computers. You're much better off dropping the 2 8600 and getting a single 8800gt for $190, they've dropped so much in price and are still dropping, plus it's a waste of money to go sli unless you're using top of the line cards.

8800GT's are lovely :)

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

This ^^

SLI is Only Usefull as a Hard Hit right outa the Box, Or as a Upgrade later On.

If you had this system With just 1 card id Agree with you. But Building it Id Go with the Best Single card for the Price. Plus In a Year or so you can Upgrade it again. ;p

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• ShadowZEROShadowZERO Member Posts: 102

QFT

• romanswinterromanswinter Member UncommonPosts: 74

Really? So you think its best to go with just ONE 8800 512 mb instead of two 8600's? That one 8800 is really better than the other two combined? Why? If this is the case then I will take your advice, but please verify if you can. Thanks

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Originally posted by romanswinter

Really? So you think its best to go with just ONE 8800 512 mb instead of two 8600's? That one 8800 is really better than the other two combined? Why? If this is the case then I will take your advice, but please verify if you can. Thanks

Yeah one card is better then two.  The main reason is that many games just don't work well with two cards and the sli setup many time gets you no improvement in performance and can even hurt your performance.  My last computer had SLI and I'd never do it again.  You are better off buying the best single card adapter you can afford. 

VG for example will perform better if you disable one of the cards when you are playing.  SLI will actually slightly hurt VG performance.

---
    Ethion

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

I would recommened you gettting 8800GTX / ULTRA if you have some additional cash. SLI 8600 might not be the best option.

REALITY CHECK

• PicklefootPicklefoot Member Posts: 218

Don't be fooled by 8600 x2.. it may sound great, I mean the numbers are almost comparable (8800, 8600) so they must perform close to eachother. They don't, and even with SLI bonus of about 30% 2x 8600's do not touch the fantastically built/supported 8800gt.

Try your best to go with EVGA, or BFG for the gfx. I chose EVGA because of the lifetime warranty, and the upgrade your card system they do. Plus their cards will rock your face directly out of the box.

As previously stated the 8800GT is a great price right now! Go ahead and splurge. You will not regret  it.

If you want a great deal on an even better card, get the 8800GTS (G92) it is almost identical to the GTX. It has better cooling/performance than the 8800GT. But if you are looking to SLI later down the road (which I don't recommend) you will need another 8800GTS to stick with it. Although a 8800GT could be SLI'd with it, the GTS would have to perform at the GT's level.

I have the 8800GTS (G92) 512 from EVGA, it outperforms my friends 8800GT 512 EVGA by a great deal fps wise. This is only if you have the extra 50$ to spend- if not then you still won't be disappointed AT ALL,

Reviewing this thread before I post.. that's a little too many "GT--" references :P.

I keep finding things to add on- knowing that SLI is not the best for nvidia cards, you can definitely find a new motherboard. If you don't have surround sound, then most onboard soundboards will work! Gigabyte is a good and affordable choice. You should consider intel, if you aren't stuck on AMD- intel overclock to become complete beast of CPU's, the dual cores come for a great price. The e6600 overclocks better than the e6750 because you can take the fsb higher without there being diminishing returns to performance- but for the same price/performance. My buddy has his e6600 at like 3.4 or 3.6 ghz.. something insane like that. I get my e6750 to 3.2ghz which is still very respectable- I get no bottlenecks.

To give this beast of yours power, a 600w psu will do just fine- this is where you don't get thrifty. I find PSU's to fault more than any other component.. spending 70$, instead of 40$ will save you money. Make sure you go with ATX if you get an ATX case- which is typical for gamers.

If you have never built a PC before on your own.. don't give up and pay somebody to do it for you. It's good to do it yourself, and accessible instructions via the intertubes will make it less of a headache the first time.

--------------------------------------------------

• ZsariZsari Member Posts: 71

Also keep in mind that Vanguard doesn't support SLI or Crossfire.