Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Active Blocking and Sneaking Video GDC 2008

AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

over at TenTonHammer: http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/27552

I like the ability to shift your shields around yourself.

Comments

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Still wish you could parry or block with your shield. lol

Sorry had to say it, Its my one wish for this game, if only the devs would show me some love.

-Jive

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Sorry had to say it, Its my one wish for this game, if only the devs would show me some love.

-Jive
    But you can to some degree ;) there is shield knockback and "bashes" I believe available for some classes - so I hear!

But you can't independantly lift your shield arm up though.

Maybe there will be a video of such a move soon =)

• throckmortonthrockmorton Member Posts: 314

I really love this ability, and I see it leading to some very fun PvP fights.

This is the first time we've seen it in action, and I'm pleased.

• vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

not sure if I understand the video. Looks like some sort of defensive mode? I cant understand the presenter's ascent (cant spell). I cant understand what the guy was saying.

I'm not happy to see rogues in this game. Will we have a chance to see these guys? Stealth classes are fun to play but they always ruin open pvp. Grinding on a mob and then getting backstabbed is no fun

btw thanks for posting this film looks gorgeous! Gameplay is always first for me but pretty graphics cant hurt.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Originally posted by vajuras

btw thanks for posting this film looks gorgeous! Gameplay is always first for me but pretty graphics cant hurt.

I know some people are going to hate me for this, but im not going to lie, Im really just buying this game for the graphics foremost.

Like I think all the features they are putting into the game sound great to, its just I have a expensive computer, and so far the only thing that pushed its limits were crysis, but I wasnt into that. MMO's are my real deal.

Vanguard showed off how the graphics could look though, as bad as the game was the landscape was great.

-Jive

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

-Jive

From what I've heard having a shield increases your chance to block on your left side. And I think I've seen videos that showed a shield raise and block an incoming attack. And as Avery said, you can use it in combat to knock foes back, etc. :)

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Originally posted by vajuras

not sure if I understand the video. Looks like some sort of defensive mode? I cant understand the presenter's ascent (cant spell). I cant understand what the guy was saying.
    I'm not happy to see rogues in this game. Will we have a chance to see these guys? Stealth classes are fun to play but they always ruin open pvp. Grinding on a mob and then getting backstabbed is no fun

The shields you see are your defenses (besides of course armor bonuses, etc.) Same with mobs, you have 3 'shield' bars that you can spread around. You can have 1 shield bar for each side for base protection, or you can shift it. He showed it having 3 bars on one side, which gives extreme protection to that side, but none to the others, so you'll take extra damage on unprotected sides. Mobs have this as well, and they will shift their defenses as you attack. You as a player can do the same thing. It's a depth that is there if you want it to be. You can just leave it at one bar on each side, or shift it based on the fight your in :)

On your second question, every class in the game can 'stealth' because stealth is a skill that you can increase. Every level you gain so many points to spend on your skills. From what we know they include things like bandaging, stealth, perception, climbing, etc. So you can raise your stealth skills to get good at it. But this doesn't mean everyone in the game will just walk around in hiding as they see fit and use it as an IWIN button in PvP, because theres also the Perception skill, which increases your ability to detect stealthed opponents, both mobs and players in PvP.

I don't know if you played Anarchy Online, but it worked the same way in that. The stealth 'classes' could raise the skill the highest. In AoC, if you watch some videos there, you can see the Assassin moving really fast while stealthed. I'd bet they get improved stealth capability.

Originally posted by Fion
    Originally posted by vajuras not sure if I understand the video. Looks like some sort of defensive mode? I cant understand the presenter's ascent (cant spell). I cant understand what the guy was saying.
    The shields you see are your defenses (besides of course armor bonuses, etc.) Same with mobs, you have 3 'shield' bars that you can spread around. You can have 1 shield bar for each side for base protection, or you can shift it. He showed it having 3 bars on one side, which gives extreme protection to that side, but none to the others, so you'll take extra damage on unprotected sides. Mobs have this as well, and they will shift their defenses as you attack. You as a player can do the same thing. It's a depth that is there if you want it to be. You can just leave it at one bar on each side, or shift it based on the fight your in :)

On your second question, every class in the game can 'stealth' because stealth is a skill that you can increase. Every level you gain so many points to spend on your skills. From what we know they include things like bandaging, stealth, perception, climbing, etc. So you can raise your stealth skills to get good at it. But this doesn't mean everyone in the game will just walk around in hiding as they see fit and use it as an IWIN button in PvP, because theres also the Perception skill, which increases your ability to detect stealthed opponents, both mobs and players in PvP.
    I don't know if you played Anarchy Online, but it worked the same way in that. The stealth 'classes' could raise the skill the highest. In AoC, if you watch some videos there, you can see the Assassin moving really fast while stealthed. I'd bet they get improved stealth capability.

That's simply AWESOME

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I am pretty much on the fence on wether to buy this game or not but the video was pretty neat I must say. The sneaking ability was pretty cool but whats up with those shields ? I hope these shields do not make your guardian somewhat invinsible because that would clearly be a waste of being a guardian and dumbing down the game to make it too easy for players.

From a lore perspective yes, when Conan wasn't king he ran around Hyboria with shields protecting him. Ok sarcasm off but you see where I am going with this. overall still a good video and hope to see more before release. 

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Originally posted by SaintViktor

I am pretty much on the fence on wether to buy this game or not but the video was pretty neat I must say. The sneaking ability was pretty cool but whats up with those shields ? I hope these shields do not make your guardian somewhat invinsible because that would clearly be a waste of being a guardian and dumbing down the game to make it too easy for players.
    From a lore perspective yes, when Conan wasn't king he ran around Hyboria with shields protecting him. Ok sarcasm off but you see where I am going with this. overall still a good video and hope to see more before release. 
    I take it you're thinking "shields" as some sort of forcefield?  It's not like that.  The shields represent your defense.  How they are distributed around you reflects the amount of damage you take from that given direction.  If you stack them all to one side, that one side will reduce the damage you take by a large amount where as the died with no shield will take bonus damage.  Basically the way I understand it:

1 Shield = normal protection (neutral)

2 Shields = Good protection (medium)

3 Shields = Best protection (maximum)

0 Shields = No protection (you take extra damage there)

The graphics are there to give you a physical representation of your defenses.  It's not some magical shield that absorbs damage for you and makes you some sort of invincible juggernaut.  It's just another layer in the strategy of playing AoC.  It's another new thing they're trying to see if it will work.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• pust082pust082 Member Posts: 157

I cant help but be excited about the stealth movement. It looked like the assasin was running in stealth. I cant wait to try it out.