Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Release Date

Ok I havent followed AoC lately as I'm still debating whether or not I want to commit myself to another life draining mmo. However I'm sitting here at work reading my newest ediion of gameinformer mag. and it says that AoC is going to be released March 18, 2008.

I haven't seen this date before, infact this site says its release date is not till May...

Am I really behind or is this news to everyone else?

Comments

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

March was the release date for a while, but they pushed it back till may. Magazines are often behind the times (mag being published sometimes right as a games release date has changed).

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• Vandal783Vandal783 Member Posts: 57

Originally posted by fyerwall

March was the release date for a while, but they pushed it back till may. Magazines are often behind the times (mag being published sometimes right as a games release date has changed).

I figured as much, although another fella just posted some vids in another thread found here

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/thread/168904

the vids are on gametrailors.com and they are showing its release as march also. It's also probably the same case as before....I'm just wanting to beleive that it could come out next month

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

It's a common business practice.  It is possible they'll contact those magazines stating they notified them in time for a correction, but the magazine printed the wrong thing.  They'll tell the company to rerun the adds with the correct information next run free of charge, or write off the current bill.  The magazine company will rerun the correction for free just to get their original fees.  That way the company gets some free advertising.  Is it ethical?  No.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying or implying Funcom has done that.  I'm just saying that it is a common occurance in the industry to try and get what you can for free.

As far as the current release date being in May, I wouldn't bet on it.  If anything, the last two years have shown that top brass has no respect for the devs in this game.  Top brass is gonna do what top brass is gonna do without regard to what the developers say or want.  It wouldn't surprise me to see at least two or three more delays before launch.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by Vandal783

Originally posted by fyerwall

I figured as much, although another fella just posted some vids in another thread found here

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/thread/168904

the vids are on gametrailors.com and they are showing its release as march also. It's also probably the same case as before....I'm just wanting to beleive that it could come out next month

Gametrailers have yet to update their date too.

Almost guarenteed May 20 th launch.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

i personally love going to my local store(s) (which are pretty bad with everything) and ask them for the release date only to get:

ummmm...on our screen it says the (insert last years release date), i am guessing thats wrong

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• wilson1225wilson1225 Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by Shannia

As far as the current release date being in May, I wouldn't bet on it.  If anything, the last two years have shown that top brass has no respect for the devs in this game.  Top brass is gonna do what top brass is gonna do without regard to what the developers say or want.  It wouldn't surprise me to see at least two or three more delays before launch.

What are you even talking about?  If anything the so called "Top brass" you are refering to, which I can only assume to be investors or the publishing side of funcom, would push for an early release to get a return on their investments. It'd be the developers that would be asking for more time assuming that they even thought they needed more time for a smooth launch.