Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Major The Lord of the Rings Online™ announcement to take place at Connect ‘08

Comments

• wykkid79wykkid79 Member Posts: 131

Of course it's a paid expansion announcement.  The existing Books end at Book 14, which would be about correct timing for the paid expansion to come out at the end of the year.  Book 13 will probably ship in May (around the time of AoC... hrmmm), Book 14 sometime in August and then the expac in the October - December timeframe.

To those who make comparisons to AC2, keep in mind that LotRO has FAR more subs than AC2 did at the point they released the expansion for it.  The expansion was a last ditch effort to save AC2, anyone who was playing at the time should have realized that.  It failed, unfortunately, because far too many people recalled all too well the problems the game had at launch.  LotRO is NOT in that situation by an stretch of the imagination.  It's had arguably the best MMO launch in MMO history, almost no bugs, smooth transition from beta to live, etc, etc...  They did everything right.  AoC fans can thank Turbine if AoC actually ships in a similar state.  Everyone saw what Turbine did with LotRO last year compared to Vanguard and realized they needed to make sure the game launched rock solid.  I believe AoC devs are doing the same thing.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Originally posted by wykkid79

...AoC fans can thank Turbine if AoC actually ships in a similar state.  Everyone saw what Turbine did with LotRO last year compared to Vanguard and realized they needed to make sure the game launched rock solid.  I believe AoC devs are doing the same thing.

Getting off-topic now, but yup. Played both and stuck with LOTRO. Vanguard was rushed to launch before LOTRO deliberately to get a competitive advantage and it backfired on them in a huge way. It looked to me for a while that one of AOC or WAR might repeat the mistake but they both seem to have backed off and are trying for a LOTRO-like launch.

Back to the topic...

I agree: most likely this announcement will be all about "Volume II - The Mines of Moria"... or something similar, coming in the fall. All of the "Month of the (insert class here)" are done and Book 13 (and 14 if there is a 14...big if there) will be mostly about gravy....like the strongly-hinted-at fishing.

The expansion is also almost guaranteed to increase the level cap to probably 60 for all those bored 50's (myself included) who want more non-raid end-game storyline content.

As to whether they introduce new classes (races are pretty well tapped-out) that's a big maybe... we'll just have to wait and see :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Katashi-kunKatashi-kun Member Posts: 517

Originally posted by Iselin

...AoC fans can thank Turbine if AoC actually ships in a similar state.  Everyone saw what Turbine did with LotRO last year compared to Vanguard and realized they needed to make sure the game launched rock solid.  I believe AoC devs are doing the same thing.

Getting off-topic now, but yup. Played both and stuck with LOTRO. Vanguard was rushed to launch before LOTRO deliberately to get a competitive advantage and it backfired on them in a huge way. It looked to me for a while that one of AOC or WAR might repeat the mistake but they both seem to have backed off and are trying for a LOTRO-like launch.

Back to the topic...

I agree: most likely this announcement will be all about "Volume II - The Mines of Moria"... or something similar, coming in the fall. All of the "Month of the (insert class here)" are done and Book 13 (and 14 if there is a 14...big if there) will be mostly about gravy....like the strongly-hinted-at fishing.

The expansion is also almost guaranteed to increase the level cap to probably 60 for all those bored 50's (myself included) who want more non-raid end-game storyline content.

As to whether they introduce new classes (races are pretty well tapped-out) that's a big maybe... we'll just have to wait and see :)

Book 13 and 14 are already labeled in our char quest log, which will be the end of the Eriador storyline!  My guess would be early fall for a new exp. so they have ample time to finish the current story before moving it ahead to part 2!

Kemih ~ 13 Red Mage | Currently playing FFXI & LOTRO, awaiting Warhammer Online & Aion...

• vingvegavingvega Member Posts: 577

Ladies and Gentleman the announcement will be this.....

They will be implementing a new musical instrument to play along with flavored pipeweed! WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!      No i'm just kidding...I think they are announcing an ITEM MALL! YEAH BABY!

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by vingvega

Ladies and Gentleman the announcement will be this.....

They will be implementing a new musical instrument to play along with flavored pipeweed! WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!      No i'm just kidding...I think they are announcing an ITEM MALL! YEAH BABY!

Heh.  It appears you might need a new keyboard.  Your current one seems to have a few keys that get stuck. 

• AckbarNLAckbarNL Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by Katashi-kun

Originally posted by Iselin

Back to the topic...

Book 13 and 14 are already labeled in our char quest log, which will be the end of the Eriador storyline!  My guess would be early fall for a new exp. so they have ample time to finish the current story before moving it ahead to part 2!

This is a little bid of nonsence just becouse it listed to book 14 does not mean it will end there, when the book 9 releasd book 13 and 14 were noot listed either, and now thay are...thay can do anything thay want actuly...

Playing: World of Warcraft.
    Played: Lord of the Rings Online, Starwars Galaxies.
    Tried: Starwars the Old Republic, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, Vanguard, Age of Conan, Aion.

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

Im pretty sure i read that book 13 would be the last one before the expansion.So with that 2-3 months or so away,the expansion could come around autumn.

Originally posted by jimsmith08

Im pretty sure i read that book 13 would be the last one before the expansion.So with that 2-3 months or so away,the expansion could come around autumn.

Heh... well since there hasn't even been an official announcement of an expansion yet... anything you read about book 13 being the last one before an expansion would just be a guess.

Granted, you could still be correct... we just don't know. 

And were do you read that? if book 13 would be the last we would have a lot of time whitout any update since the exspansion is not anouced yet , and an exspansion is mostly minimum anounced half a year before release, for testing , promotion, ideas, etc

Tried: Starwars the Old Republic, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, Vanguard, Age of Conan, Aion.

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039
    Originally posted by AckbarNL

And were do you read that? if book 13 would be the last we would have a lot of time whitout any update since the exspansion is not anouced yet , and an exspansion is mostly minimum anounced half a year before release, for testing , promotion, ideas, etc

I meant last one before the expansion was announced,bit didnt word it very well :P

One of the european dev chats mentioned that after book 13 they were wanting to announce the expansion,so its possible announcement is coming earlier.

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

I think it will be either  "  THE HOBBIT " seperate Mmo or some sort of HOBBIT expansion where you go back in time to play with Bilbo..... well it could be coud'nt it ?

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

I am at the point where I don't care what it is, though I imagine it is most likely an expansion with some sort of actual evil player characters. I have heard people talking about how the monsters shouldn't be as powerful as heroes. Remember, the players are not heroes; the players are just average people that have taken the fight to the Enemy. They are not the fellowship, or anyone important to the lore. They are just regular folks fighting for their homelands. So monsters should and are, if you look at monster play as it is now, equal in power to the Free Peoples.

I hope beyond hope it is something good. I have watched Turbine destroy my two favorite IPs: D&D and LOTR. I can't believe, however, that anything they do will be anything different from the same stuff we have seen them come out with.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by Leodious

I am at the point where I don't care what it is, though I imagine it is most likely an expansion with some sort of actual evil player characters. I have heard people talking about how the monsters shouldn't be as powerful as heroes. Remember, the players are not heroes; the players are just average people that have taken the fight to the Enemy. They are not the fellowship, or anyone important to the lore. They are just regular folks fighting for their homelands. So monsters should and are, if you look at monster play as it is now, equal in power to the Free Peoples.
    I hope beyond hope it is something good. I have watched Turbine destroy my two favorite IPs: D&D and LOTR. I can't believe, however, that anything they do will be anything different from the same stuff we have seen them come out with.
    Thank you... I corroborate..

Turbine really killed this IP, and it is a true borefest...so, one can only hope that this announcement is something huge...as otherwise it will be swallowed by the coming competition (WAR and AoC)

• ShogooShogoo Member UncommonPosts: 88

Probably announceing More Spammer tools

• forthelulzforthelulz Member Posts: 215

they are going to announce that all ddo players can switch their accounts over to lotro because bioware is taking over the i.p. for a forgotten realms mmo

• JonMichaelJonMichael Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by openedge1

Turbine really killed this IP, and it is a true borefest...so, one can only hope that this announcement is something huge...as otherwise it will be swallowed by the coming competition (WAR and AoC)

You agree that the IP was killed and is a true borefest and predict doom and gloom upon the release of WAR and AoC...

Yet, you continally post on this board, remark about how often you try the game again... all to be let down by the way it runs on your machine....

Honestly Openedge... you practically contradict yourself!

Currently: AION, an MMO Beta under NDA
    Played: WAR, LOTRO, Hellgate: London, CoX, GW, SotNW, DAOC, EQ2, SWG, WoW, AO, Horizons, Second Life, There, TSO
    Beta'd: There, Second Life, EQ2, DAOC:LotM, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, Gods and Heroes, Hellgate: London, Requiem:Bloodymare, AoC, WAR, DDO, Fallen Earth

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by JonMichael

You agree that the IP was killed and is a true borefest and predict doom and gloom upon the release of WAR and AoC...

Yet, you continally post on this board, remark about how often you try the game again... all to be let down by the way it runs on your machine....

Honestly Openedge... you practically contradict yourself!

I do not find any contradiction

I have tried the game to back up my posts with fact unlike various other posters..

If that means I must be stuck trying it again to keep my data current, it is not a stretch at all.

So, a borefest, with a ruined IP, that runs incredibly bad on newer hardware, with an awful UI, bad animations

No contradictions here

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• UgaritUgarit Member Posts: 213

I hope beyond hope it is something good. I have watched Turbine destroy my two favorite IPs: D&D and LOTR. I can't believe, however, that anything they do will be anything different from the same stuff we have seen them come out with./

/ Agree.

Turbine exstended its licence for Lotro to 2014

• CartographyCartography Member UncommonPosts: 331

Originally posted by AckbarNL

Turbine exstended its licence for Lotro to 2014

Just fyi, I hope you don't think that extending the license means it's guaranteed to be around until then... the game can still fail.  Feel free to think that it's a sign of progress, but again, it's not a guarantee.
  • TedDansonTedDanson Member Posts: 513

/disagree

You leave DDO out of this young man!!!

Anyways, I myself did find Lotro completely boring, but I know that a whole lot of people are enjoying it so I hope for the best.

Originally posted by TedDanson

/disagree

You leave DDO out of this young man!!!

Anyways, I myself did find Lotro completely boring, but I know that a whole lot of people are enjoying it so I hope for the best.

Thanks TedDanson. 

As many in this forum have tried to get across, this game isn't going to be for everyone.  It has a free trial, so anyone wanting to see what it's like should try that before they buy it.  It's a good, solid MMO, but some may indeed find it not their thing. 

Luckily there are lots of MMOs over on the left-hand side of these forums to choose from. 

`Today is the announcement, stuart-renton of IGN will make any post on this in here as soon as he can and when the press announcement has been made.

http://vnboards.ign.com/lotr_online_general_board/b5042/106650697/p1/?8

All we have to do now is wait and see.

• Sh337Sh337 Member UncommonPosts: 55

"Well that's amazing because I've just had it.

The press show was at 10:00am. It's always been 10:00am, the public annoucement was 1:00pm.

It'll be on IGN soon, but can I say: that was the most amazing thing I've ever seen from an expansion.

I've got an interview with Steefel in a few hours and I'm already all hero worshipping.

Yep, the expansion is THAT good!

I've got 2000 words - I'll post it all tomorrow. SO much juicy stuff to tell you about!"

Let's see what comes out of this...