Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Major The Lord of the Rings Online™ announcement to take place at Connect ‘08

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

If it is a paid retail expansion they'll probably disappoint those who thought they'd continue their past history of releasing updates for free. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Originally posted by mahierl2005

haha true enough, however.. cat and mouse.. LotRO Vs. AoC? Sry, no comparison lol.. AoC would obliterate them, and if it weren't for LotRO's niche player base, they'd already be dead.
    Ah, I always loved mature comments, based on experience and facts :) no hype machine can fool the MMO vet!

*Sense the irony :)*

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Originally posted by Kyleran

If it is a paid retail expansion they'll probably disappoint those who thought they'd continue their past history of releasing updates for free. 

It will only disappoint those who don't follow LOTRO really, since Turbine has always mentioned in the past that the game WILL have retail expansions, possible in a yearly basis.

Free expansions will remain as they are, coming out every 2-3 months. No change inflicted by a retail addition. 

No surprise there for me...

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• AckbarNLAckbarNL Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by mahierl2005

I dont see why anything they could annouce needs an announcement to announce it.. wait.. yes, that makes sense. OK, I mean even if its the Holy Grail of announcements, like an expansion pack, it still doesnt warrant this. Ignorant, IMHO.. makes no sense whatsoever.

Ofcourse it makes sence, its to attract more people to the connect event... its no rocketsience.

Playing: World of Warcraft.
    Played: Lord of the Rings Online, Starwars Galaxies.
    Tried: Starwars the Old Republic, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, Vanguard, Age of Conan, Aion.

• Jaxom92Jaxom92 Member Posts: 267

Curiosity is very alluring - it has power. That's why they've announced an impending announcement. Hype. Whether you buy into that or not is another thing entirely. And I admit, I'm curious, but I'm also a fairly patient person, so I can wait. I'll probably forget about it unless this topic stays on the front page of these forums.

I voted for expansion into a new market, which on second thought is actually my second choice of what the announcment might be. I'm now more inclined (after some thought) to think they'll announce a paid expansion rather than an market expansion.

Check out my LOTRO Blog: www.middleearthadventurer.blogspot.com

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

These are already known... so the "major" announcement won't be any of these things... these are all items being added in book 13.

• New PVMP class "Orc Defiler", healer counterpart for creeps.
    • Ability to show/hide various part of your clothing different for each outfit set.
    • new Light Armor appearance model
    • You will no longer loose your house, but it will be locked until you pay the rent.
    • Circlets that does not replace hair is coming with Book 13
    • Fishing
    • New big zone larger than Evendim, enough to keep explorers happy. No new raids, however, Annúminas revisited
    • Crafting changes, Various mob drops will stack.
    • More Emotes

From this link:

lotro.stratics.com/php-bin/show_content.php

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Originally posted by Kyleran

Turbine never hid the fact that they would be coming out with Paid Expansions after the game's release.  When they announced the content structure for the game they stated that they would have free monthly updates, but Major Land expansions would come in the form of a paid add-on.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

After pondering this for a while, I have become utterly convinced it will be a paid expansion, most likely that includes the Mines of Moria.

And good info Dragonace.  Book 12 just came out and now I'm foaming for book 13, doh!

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

My guess would be Free to play with advertising, premium service and maybeeeeeee micro transactions.  That survey they did a couple months back has me really scared and their annoucement to partner with the RMT company.

Or the first expansion pack. 

Or that there are now 40 new hair styles for hobbit feet.

Originally posted by Daffid011

My guess would be Free to play with advertising, premium service and maybeeeeeee micro transactions.  That survey they did a couple months back has me really scared and their annoucement to partner with the RMT company.
    I really hope not...

Yeah, Yeebo, I'm anxious for Book 13 as well. I'm an ESAK (Bartle Test) so any new land to explore has me frothing at the mount. I spent about 2 and a half hours just running around Evendim exploring the land before I even did any quests out there. Most of that was swimming though. Probably would have been faster if it was more land oriented. Hehe.

• TeiraaTeiraa Member UncommonPosts: 447

What announcement to partner with a RMT company? I must have missed this one....

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835
    Originally posted by Teiraa

What announcement to partner with a RMT company? I must have missed this one....

I missed it too. I remember SOE and FUncom and a few who partenered, but i dont remember Turbine being in on that one..i could be wriong though. I doubt they would change an existing game to that model anyway. Turbine also sent out a survey about doing a station pass like SOE for their games a long long time ago..Im still waiting on that one. Though that would make DDO definately worth it to me. I always loved the game, but it wasnt enough for me to pay a full sub price for cause it was a game I would only play when we felt like doing a dungeon. Be awful nice if I could play that and lotr for $15 bucks...a family package would be nice too.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

"Turbine and codemasters are happy to announe that both companies have been bought out by EA,and will be running on a both subscription and item shop base,with in game ads appearing soon. Development will be passed over to our new MMO experts team,Brad Mcquaid of the successful everquest game (and vanguard) and Diablo overlord Bill roper. We have an exciting new and improved combat system in the works,and will be merging some classes pretty soon...."

Im betting a paid expansion. They even said a while back that once book 13 was out,they'd possibly be ready to announce it..it just means theyre announcing a lot earlier than they said. Perhaps it has something to do with AoCs release in may and they want to dangle the carrot a little sooner.

or I could be totally wrong :)

it must be something fairly major anyway,as the usual updates dont have fanfares like this.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I stand corrected, it was funcom and not turbine.  Thats what I get for posting at 3am while feeding my newborn daughter.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

*sigh* I really feel like Lobotomist's recently posted cartoon...

I dunno why everyong here is ripe with poisonous sarcasm and pessimism. So far everything new Turbine added to LOTRO was good, and saying we have an announcement to make and this and that day, man whats to bad about it? Why is everyone so damn ironic/sarcastic about? Is this a contest who can spit the most poison or make the most negative "funny" comment?

I for myself am glad to see how they worked on LOTRO so far and a little bit surpise and childish excitement is something I allow myself to feel. I you rather want to be oh so sophisticated and "grown up" (whatever weird vision of that may be) fine for you. They didnt even reveal anything yet and people ALREADY are bitching. *shakes head*

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• EvilsamEvilsam Member UncommonPosts: 200

Saw an news article about someones book on spanking children today.The person that wrote it obviously has never been in these forums,where manners and respect for other people is greatly lacking.Not from everyone, but from a lot.

• c0rneliusc0rnelius Member Posts: 1

It would be nice if they actually moved the plot along ... like maybe finally getting to the Mines of Moria?  It's disappointing they can't finish the LOTR storyline in 3 years.

Originally posted by c0rnelius

It would be nice if they actually moved the plot along ... like maybe finally getting to the Mines of Moria?  It's disappointing they can't finish the LOTR storyline in 3 years.

MMOs are a long term deal. From a business perspective, I wouldn't want to pigeon-hole the game to only a 3 year time-frame when many MMOs make it past that are are still making money. From a fan of the game perspective, I don't want my game to be "finished" after three years. I really like playing LOTRO and want to keep playing LOTRO as long as I can. Both of these mean that the story is going to be drawn out. And considering the wealth of lore in the IP, there's a lot more than just the LOTR story to work with. That's the advantage of an MMO, you have the time and money to do that.

• airheadairhead Member UncommonPosts: 718

OMG... such a weird feeling of Deja Vu ?!

This sounds so much like what they did with AC2, almost word for word. The upcoming Big Announcement was Turbine saying they would stop monthly content updates, devote developer time to new upcoming expansion (to be released from 6-12 months in the future)... and then after they get that money... who knows? They got enough subscribers this time, I doubt they will turn the servers off while xpack is on the store shelves... but who knows with these people.

So for me, I'm 99% sure announcement is a paid xpack. And I'm 80% sure that this big announcement will be accompanied with statements/hints that the current 2+ month period for book updates will increase to 3-6 months.... if they continue them at all....

Originally posted by airhead

OMG... such a weird feeling of Deja Vu ?!
    This sounds so much like what they did with AC2, almost word for word. The upcoming Big Announcement was Turbine saying they would stop monthly content updates, devote developer time to new upcoming expansion (to be released from 6-12 months in the future)... and then after they get that money... who knows? They got enough subscribers this time, I doubt they will turn the servers off while xpack is on the store shelves... but who knows with these people.
    So for me, I'm 99% sure announcement is a paid xpack. And I'm 80% sure that this big announcement will be accompanied with statements/hints that the current 2+ month period for book updates will increase to 3-6 months.... if they continue them at all....

Heh... good try. 

Trouble is they've never made any promises on the timeline for content updates.  They have said what is to be included in the book 13 update, and have made some hints at what books 14,15 & 16 will contain.  My guess is the expansion will come after that.

So yeah, I would expect them to slow down around the expansion.  Considering that the expansion will probalby contain the content of 6-8+ books... I think that'll make up for it.  

I'll also guess that the expansion will be the Mines of Moria and the surrounding area.   This fan created map of upcoming content hasn't always been right, but I think he has a good grasp of what Turbine has in mind.  Check it out.

www.visionsofthering.com/expac_timeline.shtml

Originally posted by dragonace

I'll also guess that the expansion will be the Mines of Moria and the surrounding area.   This fan created map of upcoming content hasn't always been right, but I think he has a good grasp of what Turbine has in mind.  Check it out.

What I love about Hayoo's map is that he continuously updates it. However, I noticed a pattern in his predictions that doesn't follow the current update patterns. After his Book 13 prediction about Forochel, every book update afterwards he predicts another fairly sizable landscape addition. The pattern of the free book updates has shown so far that not every one has had a large landscape addition. Unfortunately I don't know how else one would go about it except by skipping the free updates that aren't suspected of having a landscape update.

Originally posted by Jaxom92

Originally posted by dragonace

What I love about Hayoo's map is that he continuously updates it. However, I noticed a pattern in his predictions that doesn't follow the current update patterns. After his Book 13 prediction about Forochel, every book update afterwards he predicts another fairly sizable landscape addition. The pattern of the free book updates has shown so far that not every one has had a large landscape addition. Unfortunately I don't know how else one would go about it except by skipping the free updates that aren't suspected of having a landscape update.

Yes, I agree.  But even his timeline is slow compared to what a lot of gamers think is such a simple task.

I do think it's a nice tool for fans to look at to get a realistic idea of  what kind of content they are asking the devs to crank out every 2 months (probably why it's not a realistic goal at all.  ).  It's amazing how much has been added in this first short year.  I can hardly wait to see what another year brings. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• VormirVormir Member UncommonPosts: 135

The announcement will be the "paid" expansion alright.

But it will be released sometime near christmas.

the free content will continue till book 16.

Book 13 will be out in may, with some cool updates and additions.

My 2 cents on this matter :)

• saveit11saveit11 Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by Vormir

The announcement will be the "paid" expansion alright.
    But it will be released sometime near christmas.
    the free content will continue till book 16.
    Book 13 will be out in may, with some cool updates and additions.
    My 2 cents on this matter :)

That sounds pretty spot on. What else are they going to announce? That LOTRO has been out nearly a year?

An expansion is next, which will probably add Moria and Eregion, with some possible filling out of Eriador. The epic storyline will also probably advance (as in, the Fellowship will leave Rivendell and we'll stop seeing them) along with other stuff. Yeah.