Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you move the chat box?

I increased my resolution and my chat box stayed in the same spot, meaning it now looks to be closer to the mid-left of my screen, instead of right above my toolbar. I know how to resize the chat box, but how do I actually "move" the chat box. I asked in-game and some people said you couldn't. That seemed a little off to me, since that is a pretty basic feature to have in a MMORPG, so I am asking here.

Thanks

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

Originally posted by solareus

Maybe you can try to post your questions on the Official website ? Then when the answer a rises you can then make a post to the developers saying " it would be nice to move the chat box. "
    I've personally had no issue with the chat the position becaue it is pretty standard location , and almost ever game I've played has the box in that location..
    Think you shouldn't play LotrO, it just seems like you are not going to like it. Hopefully you can find a game better to suite your needs :).
    Umm, gee, thanks, well I already resubbed yesterday and started playing already. I guess since you said I shouldn't play LoTRO, I should go cancel right now.

Sorry, but a chat box nuance isn't going to stop me from playing the game, nor should it stop anyone. Saying I shouldn't play because of it is pretty weird. Anyhow, you obviously don't understand what I am saying. Turn your resolution to the max, like I have and see where the chat box is. Normally it is located at the bottom left of the screen, above your toolbar. Well, after you change the resolution to the max, which I can do, it rises to the middle left hand side of the screen. Raising is a good 4 inches above where it was. I just want to lower it back to where it was. I can drag the bottom right hand corner of the chat box to make the chat box bottom touch the toolbar where it did before I changed the resolution, but the top remains in the middle left hand side of the scree, essentially just making one huge chat box.

I have tried CTRL + and that didn't work. That allows me to move all kinds of things around, but not the chat box. Posting the request on the official forums is a good idea though.

• OdyssesOdysses Member Posts: 581

I have always moved the chat box by clicking on the box and dragging it to where i want.

• TalynTalyn Member UncommonPosts: 587

Yep, just grab one of the chat tabs and drag the whole chat window to wherever you want it.

I tried that yesterday, but I clicked on the Combat tab to try and drag it. All it did was switch to the Combat window. I will try it again since there are two of you confirming this. I will feel like such a fool if this works. It will be worth it though.

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by JK-Kanosi

I increased my resolution and my chat box stayed in the same spot, meaning it now looks to be closer to the mid-left of my screen, instead of right above my toolbar. I know how to resize the chat box, but how do I actually "move" the chat box. I asked in-game and some people said you couldn't. That seemed a little off to me, since that is a pretty basic feature to have in a MMORPG, so I am asking here.
    Thanks

The chat box can be moved without having to do the Ctrl + command (that command shows you the "hooks" for every piece of UI in the game that you can customize where you want  it to reside or pop up).

I find that the best place to click to get the chat box to move is right in-between the first and second tabs.  I think it's supposed to technically move if you click on any of the top menu bar that isn't a tab... but I've had the best luck with that little space in-between the first and second.

Of course you can just do the Ctrl + and then move it that way too... but... it will move without having to do that as well.  Hope that helps you out. 

Edit:  I missed that part in your second post saying that you had tried the Ctrl + .  Really?  When you did that did you see all the UI names of all the different locations of your screen come up with different "handles" on them? 

The chat box one comes up as well (sometimes it's hidden by differnt UI's over the top of it... just drag them out of the way until you can clearly see your entire chat box area) and has a little "handle" in the upper left-hand corner to use to click on and postion it in a different place.  I know there is a setting in the options that you can click to lock down your quick-slots... but I don't think you can "lock-down" your chat box accidentally. 

If you aren't getting the option to move your chat box with the Ctrl + and it doesn't move with clicking on that little space in-between the first and second tab... then you'll probably need to bug it.  It should be allowing you to move it.  I've been playing around with my setup a lot recently (as I just got a newer, bigger monitor) so I know exactly what you are trying to do.  Just did it myself last night in fact. 

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by Talyn

Yep, just grab one of the chat tabs and drag the whole chat window to wherever you want it.
    Not sure if it works that way for everyone but if I click on the tab itself it defaults to thinking that I want to move that chat channel tab off the chat box... which you can do also.  So, if you don't want the chat channel moved, but instead want the whole chat box itself moved (as the OP is wanting... I think) then; for me anyway, it worked to click in-between the chat tabs.

Using the Ctrl + also works.  But if you haven't played around with that before it can be a bit intimidating. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

It is a little fidgity about where you click, however.   Just try a few different spots if you get pop-up menus or whatever.

I'm also a bit surprised that folsk told you in game you can't move it.  I love it when folks that don't know what the hell they are talking about feel compelled to answer a question.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

Thanks a lot all. Dragging the chat box by the default chat tab worked for me. However, dragging by the Combat or any other tab didn't. It only seperated that channel into a different box.