Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTRO is the best MMO available

1235»

Comments

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by JonMichael

Originally posted by andmiller

The fact that the OP and the LOTRO fanbois throughout this thread are serious, speaks volumes about the genre in general......

Please......WAR AoC.....hurry.....

This thought that the incredibly overhyped AoC and WAR will be the saving grace of  the MMO world speaks BIG volumes about the genre...

I am so looking foward to their releases. ;)

Exactly!

It seems to matter little to those that are new to the MMO genre that these type of predictions have been around ever since EQ1 was released.  So far they are going "0-for", as in zero correct predictions to date.

They obviously didn't see the doom-and-gloom posts in the:

UO forums when EQ1 was announced.

EQ forums when DAoC was announced.

all forums when SWG was announced.

all forums when EQ2 and WoW were announced.

EQ2 and WoW forums when Dark and Light was announced.

EQ2 and WoW forums when Vanguard was announced.

EQ2 and WoW forums when LoTRo was announced. (Nope LoTRo was no killer of previous games either.  Just like EQ2 and WoW didn't kill off UO or EQ1).

There will ALWAYS be the NEXT best thing coming soon.  There will ALWAYS be those who predict that the new MMOs will kill the old MMOs.  For those that are still playing UO and EQ1... it's a very funny thing indeed.   People seem to forget just how resilient that MMOs really are.  

• andmillerandmiller Member Posts: 374

The fact that the OP and the LOTRO fanbois throughout this thread are serious, speaks volumes about the genre in general......

This thought that the incredibly overhyped AoC and WAR will be the saving grace of  the MMO world speaks BIG volumes about the genre...

You are assuming I said they would save the genre.  I didn't say that.

But I think that most people hope that either one will be as fun as WoW was when it came out.  To say that LOTRO is better than WoW is laughable.  If they had been released at the exact same time, which one do you think you fanbois would be playing right now, hmm?  LOTRO is a dumbed down, weaker version of WoW.  It is not nearly as good, yet had the advantage of coming out several years after WoW.

But it does have an amazing music composition component!  And great PvP!  Incredible end-game content! 

Ultimately the genre is incredibly weak.  In almost every other genre of games the "best" overall debate has a ton of options.  Not MMO's.  It is a testament to how difficult they are to develop.

Bottom line, LOTRO is not the best, not even close.

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

But I think that most people hope that either one will be as fun as WoW was when it came out.  To say that LOTRO is better than WoW is laughable.  If they had been released at the exact same time, which one do you think you fanbois would be playing right now, hmm?  LOTRO is a dumbed down, weaker version of WoW.  It is not nearly as good, yet had the advantage of coming out several years after WoW.

But it does have an amazing music composition component!  And great PvP!  Incredible end-game content! 

Ultimately the genre is incredibly weak.  In almost every other genre of games the "best" overall debate has a ton of options.  Not MMO's.  It is a testament to how difficult they are to develop.

One things for sure junior lotr may not be the best but WoW sure as hell isn't either.Lotr more dumbed down than WoW? get the hell out of here with that I would say WoW,Eq2,,and LOTR ALL are about the same dumbed down wise.WoW has pretty much ruined the mmog genre in general.

And no AoC sure won't be the game to bring it back it will flop as bad as Vanguard did write it down and remember it when it comes out.WAR MIGHT have a chance all depending on how much mythic actually did dev wise and how much EA was involved with it.If EA is having heavy say so then its gonna blow.

Best could easily be argued my opion would be old UO old EQ ,Asherons Call 1.Sure Eq1 and UO were abit tedious but you actually had to use your brain abit and common sense  a pet monkey could play WoW,Eq2 or LOTRO and yup I have subs to all 3 of em  and all any of the 3 have done has made me a more lazy mmoger compared to how I used to be.

As I said WoW ruined the genre we will never get those older type difficult games again companies now will use the formula that has made WoW the money the lil guys will continue to be pushed out and all we will be left with is WoW,some SOE mmogs and maybe a few others from the big companies who has the money to invest.

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

So your definition of Best is WoW? I think you better have a discussion with openedge1, LOL.

If WoW and LOTRO were released at the same time, I would be playing LOTRO still. I would likely give WoW a try and find out, as I have done, that it sucks.  Nothing would have changed.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

Originally posted by openedge1

Originally posted by kazho

First off let me say, I really hate it when people post things like.
    "As to why I continue here,  is to make sure the wool is not pulled over the eyes of those who do not know better by those who think LOTRO is a god send."
    It is like well you all are to stupid to know what a good game is so I am going to be here to tell you.
    There are many of us who are quite happy with LOTRO.  Ok, it is not a game for everyone.  But don't you think people have a right to try it and have their own opinion.
    I agree. This is very true, and the only way a person will REALLY know how good a game is...well...try it.  You for example, do not like how I state LOTRO is not a god send as others here think it is..I do not like a title that states an item as fact...when it is far from the truth..If the OP would have posted their opinion...then cool..I have no issue...they did not..And I still stick by my opinion that it is NOT the best MMO
    And yet when a post with almost the same exact title shows up in another forum on these boards for a different MMO... that you responed too... was it to chide the OP of that post for stating it as fact and not opinion?  Nope.  It was to try and invalidate some other poster's opinion.  So why the double-standard on this forum?
     (Edit:  I saw that as of today 3-13-08 that thread on the other forum has a new post from you stating that the title is just an opinion... as you did here.  A step in the right direction... thank-you.  Criticism of LoTRo isn't the beef with most of us... it's when it's applied in an obviously biased way.   Hopefully, that thread signals a different approach.)
    Of course I am one of those, if you tell me it is a bad game I am going to try for my own opinion.  So you just might be defeating your plan.  But then I love LOTRO was in beta and am having a great time.
    Right...and if you try the game and like it...great. Does not mean that others need to stop syaing they DON'T like it...
    Umm... actually if they say it over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over... in pretty much every thread.  Then that is against the forum rules... it's called spamming.

simple really...if someone wants to base their opinion off a forum thread...well...great..but, I will at least make sure they see both sides...I have no problem with it as others do...
    Both sides meaning anything negative about LoTRo.    The kind of both sides a biased, LoTRo hater would post.    Yeah, that kind of both sides.

I say try the game for yourself and never mind the people that cut it down. 
    Areeed...try it...like it? Come give us your opinion...oh, but please do not state it as facts...
    Unless of course it's for a certain MMO that ends in the number 2?  Because it's quite clear to most that there is a double-standard.  On one forum... it's fanboism at it highest.   The other... well a critter that lives under bridges comes to mind. 

The game may the best MMO available to YOU...but it was not to me...simple
    Oh... if only it was simple.  Unfortunately some posters seem to think that MMO forum posts are crusades that they must "save" the uninformed from committing the most egregious of sins.

You all have a good day.
    hugss to you
    You too...and thanks
    Your Welcome.

I would hope that each gamer is currently playing whichever MMO that they consider the best.  Right?  Why would a person not play the MMO that they think is the best?  That doesn't make any sense.  Really, I'm not sure what you are even trying to say.

Are you saying that a gamer would leave a MMO they consider to be the best... for a game NOT the best?  I don't get it. 

I do consider LoTRo to be the best MMO right now. 

Will that always be true... probably not.  Will I switch to a different MMO when I no longer consider LoTRo the best?  In a heartbeat.  Why wouldn't I?  Why wouldn't I always want to be playing the MMO that I consider to be the best?  Just seem silly to play something that in your own mind you consider to be inferior.  Do gamers really do that?

Perhaps I'm vastly different than the majority of gamers... I just assumed that everyone would be playing the MMO they consider to be the best.  Is that not correct?

Originally posted by Cerion

So your definition of Best is WoW? I think you better have a discussion with openedge1, LOL.

If WoW and LOTRO were released at the same time, I would be playing LOTRO still. I would likely give WoW a try and find out, as I have done, that it sucks.  Nothing would have changed.

Same here.

I don't begrudge anyone who likes and currently plays WoW.   I still have real-life friends that play it daily.  It just wasn't my thing.  I tried it my first and last time about 9 months to a year after it came out... I think I lasted all of a few hours.   It just wasn't for me.

Doesn't make WoW a bad game... just means I didn't find it fun.  I play games to have fun... since well... they are games.  I'm currently having fun in LoTRo... so that's what I play. 

• 12-franks12-franks Member Posts: 10

ive always been a big fan of the books and especially the movies but i havent gotten around to buying the game and giving it a shot even though that i was waiting too while it was in development but couldnt on account of financial problems but im looking for good ratings from someone who has actually played the game and is it really worth me spending the little money i have to buy the game and pay for the monthly payments

i really need some help and some good critics

thanks======

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by 12-franks

ive always been a big fan of the books and especially the movies but i havent gotten around to buying the game and giving it a shot even though that i was waiting too while it was in development but couldnt on account of financial problems but im looking for good ratings from someone who has actually played the game and is it really worth me spending the little money i have to buy the game and pay for the monthly payments
    i really need some help and some good critics
    thanks======
    You seriously need to do the free trial.  If you do the trial and decide you like it, several of us can give you a founders invite that will save you five dollars a month on the sub.  But do the trail first, you will likely either love the game or hate it.  Oh yeah, and if you are a big fan of the books, start as a hobbit anything.  The shire is a real kick.  Good luck!

www.lotro.com/trial

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• safwdsafwd Member Posts: 879

Originally posted by qombi

Originally posted by mahierl2005

No end game = not interesting = no thanks. But I'm glad your enjoying it. Its definately not for everyone though.
    I always find this funny. This usaully comes from the person that also says "Why must it take so long to get to the end of a MMORPG, the grind!". Very amusing when people should be asking for longer leveling times and more to do at every level not be screaming for the game it end faster, then saying "Well there is nothing to do when you finish it." Well ... what did you expect? You finished it, it was too fast and easy.

Once people forget about always wanting to be top level and enjoy content at every level then mmorpgs will be much better. Why does raids have to be at the end? Could levels not last about a month each and a few raids, group dungeons be at each level? Why should 1- X not be the center of attention rather than be just a stepping stone to the finish line? I picture a long lasting mmorpg experience where each level lasts about a month and in that month you are preparing for the next level by acquiring gear through different means including; raids, group dungeons, or pvp. This gear would be a set. You don't necessarily need every piece to move on but it would be beneficial. There would still be crafted gear that could fill in the gaps at each level. After about  a month of enjoying the content with your guild, in which is about what you do at the end of a game but in this game it would be at every level. Why wait to the end? Let's have the "end game" at every level.

Then after most of your guild has "dinged" .. acquired maybe 3 - 5 new skills and stats, it is time to move to the next level with new raids, dungeons, pvp objectives to acquire the next best set and new skills. This game would be progressing like an "end game" that we have now but you would also be obtaining levels in the process, and new skills.

qombi for the WIN!!!!!!!!

qombi is right, there is no end game in games like LOTRs and WOW because you are able to get to max level in a couple months max. The Developers didnt have time to make end game content.

I dont think i would go as extreme as 1 month per level but leveling from 1-50 (or whatever the max is) should be the meat of the game. I really hate when people tell me i quit WoW too early because i never made it to end game where the real game started.  Why should i endure 50 levels of crap to perhaps actually get to a good game???????

Leveling should be the journey. There should be solo/group/ and raid content at nearly every level (but without equal rewards, i never agreed with that and i dont raid). And end game should never be just a raid fest. There should be content for all playstyles at end game with gear appropriate for that playstyle.

It will always kill me that Blizzard made a game that you could completely solo to max level never needing to associate with another player, only to get there and find out that now you have to group up and raid.

• WrymstrumWrymstrum Member Posts: 196

Openedge1,

I think you should take a look at yourself and the way you have been behaving in this thread.  You started out by chiding the OP for not qualifying that his remarks where opinions.  WTF.  Every time you state an opinion you do not have to say, "This is just my opinion".  It was pretty clear to me that the OP was talking about his personal likes.  Nowhere in his post did he make disparaging comments about anyone who prefers other MMO's.  Nowhere did he say that if you don't like LOTRO you're an idiot or anything like that. 

Who made you the "opinion, not fact" nazi?  Are you going to patrol these boards looking for every statement that isn't followed by a disclaimer?  Give me a break.  Hell, in most of your own posts you are guilty of the same thing that you bitched at the OP for doing.  "It will never be the best MMO...sorry!"   Hmm, I don't see any qualifiers in that statement pointing out that it's just your opinion.  Someone call the police!  Or is it just that you feel anything that you disagree with (particularly positive statments about lotro) must thoroughly labeled as OPINION?  After all, your personal opinions are practically facts, right? 

You don't like LOTRO.  Whoopedy do.  Frankly I don't care, but I'm not going to tell you to STFU and leave the lotro forums.  Discussion is good.  LOTRO has it's problems just like any other MMO.  If you want to point out some flaws in a reasonable manner, then that's fine.  But if you're going to dis LOTRO at least don't spread misinformation (see below) and for god's sake don't stalk the forums like some crazy obsessed hater!  That's just pathetic. 

"there is no innovation in LOTRO"-  That is flat out false.  Maybe you don't care for the ways that they have innovated.  Or perhaps you just never took the time to experience them since you quit at level 30.  But there is plenty of innovation in LOTRO such as the music system, Fellowship Maneuvers, the unique PVP system, session play, the way the game handles story and the epic quests with episodic book releases, the outfit system, and the trait system where your customization and character advancement come from your actions in the game. 

~~~ Currently Playing ~~~
    LOTRO- Guardian Wrymstrum & Lore-master Stabler on Nimrodel.

Conan- Zoltar <Angels of Death> Guardian on Stormrage.

Originally posted by Wrymstrum

"there is no innovation in LOTRO"-  That is flat out false.  Maybe you don't care for the ways that they have innovated.  Or perhaps you just never took the time to experience them since you quit at level 30.  But there is plenty of innovation in LOTRO such as the music system, the unique PVP system, session play, the way the game handles story and the epic quests with episodic book releases, the outfit system, and the trait system where your customization and character advancement come from your actions in the game. 
    Don't forget that LoTRo also has a working DX10 client.  It started out a bit rough, but it's very nice now. 

Are there any other MMOs that have working DX10 clients?  I know a couple others have DX10 clients that are in the works, but do any others have one working that isn't considered a Beta?

But yeah... wouldn't want to mention anything that LoTRo did that was positive.  Of course I'm sure we'll have to suffer through the point by point analysis of why everything we've stated is incorrect and we are just too dumb to notice it.  Heh... oh well.   At least it will give us all a good laugh. 

• TeflonEddieTeflonEddie Member Posts: 270

I'm loving LOTRO at the moment

I "discovered" the game fairly late, (a couple of weeks ago), after quitting WoW about 4 months ago. I was a hardcore raider in a guild farming Black Temple and the repetitiveness just sucked the fun out of the whole game as far as I was concerned.

My enjoyment of LOTRO is in the relaxed "feel" that the game projects, my little hobbit is happily questing/crafting along at level 20 and I don't feel any pressure to powerlevel or grind to level 50, because I'm having fun.

I believe that the underlying measure of a really well-designed MMO is that, no matter how long it takes to get to "max" level, you're having fun the whole time.

As for end-game, too many MMO's these days focus on the number-crunching mentality; i.e. "I must grind this raid dungeon for 4 months, despite it being boring, because it will give me an extra +0.3 DPS."

As a long-time MMO gamer, I'd much rather have 4 months of fun than the extra 0.3 DPS.

Another problem with modern MMO's is the attitude that "content = things to kill that drop me phat l3wt." Other forms of content is considered pointless, such as the ability for your character to sit in a chair or play music. The social aspect of MMO's is something that is frequently overlooked by developers.

I recognize that I'm not in a position to really judge LOTRO yet, as my main character is only level 20 and hasn't experienced a large amount of it, but as far as I'm concerned.. so far, so fun.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• AckbarNLAckbarNL Member Posts: 458

Playing: World of Warcraft.
    Played: Lord of the Rings Online, Starwars Galaxies.
    Tried: Starwars the Old Republic, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, Vanguard, Age of Conan, Aion.

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

You should always start these with the title

"In my opinion LOTRO is the best MMO available".

Then no one can tell you.. that you're wrong.

I used to like farming.. tho...

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

Originally posted by TeflonEddie

I'm loving LOTRO at the moment
    I "discovered" the game fairly late, (a couple of weeks ago), after quitting WoW about 4 months ago. I was a hardcore raider in a guild farming Black Temple and the repetitiveness just sucked the fun out of the whole game as far as I was concerned.
    My enjoyment of LOTRO is in the relaxed "feel" that the game projects, my little hobbit is happily questing/crafting along at level 20 and I don't feel any pressure to powerlevel or grind to level 50, because I'm having fun.
    I believe that the underlying measure of a really well-designed MMO is that, no matter how long it takes to get to "max" level, you're having fun the whole time.

As for end-game, too many MMO's these days focus on the number-crunching mentality; i.e. "I must grind this raid dungeon for 4 months, despite it being boring, because it will give me an extra +0.3 DPS."
    As a long-time MMO gamer, I'd much rather have 4 months of fun than the extra 0.3 DPS.
    Another problem with modern MMO's is the attitude that "content = things to kill that drop me phat l3wt." Other forms of content is considered pointless, such as the ability for your character to sit in a chair or play music. The social aspect of MMO's is something that is frequently overlooked by developers.
    I recognize that I'm not in a position to really judge LOTRO yet, as my main character is only level 20 and hasn't experienced a large amount of it, but as far as I'm concerned.. so far, so fun.

Welcome to Middle Earth! That casual feeling follows you throughout your levels, which is a welcomed change from many of the MMOs I've played.  One nice aspect (of several) in LOTRO is that casual does not equate to unchallenging. Your challenge level is self-selecting for the most part.

Be sure to get in a Great Barrows group or Weathertop group (mid 20's). Not because you'll get phat loot, not because you'll receive mad experience, but because these instances are damn fun.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/