Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Realm Opened

ProtestProtest Member UncommonPosts: 159

Not sure if anyone really cares. Here you go anyway:

We’ve opened a brand new PvE realm to be added to the Emberstorm Battlegroup. This is a new non-transfer realm and as such it will not be available as a destination for Paid Character Transfers for six months. We invite new and old players alike to join this realm and begin a fresh adventure in Azeroth.

Realm: Cairne - Normal

Timezone: Central

“We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started... and know the place for the first time.”
-T.S. Eliot

Comments

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Im surprised they created a new realm. Was there that much congestion on the other servers that players needed more space?

Torrential

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

Wish they'd open a new EU realm.  Will probably have to wait till WOTLK for that though.

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Really wonder why they still open more new realm with so many low population realms around?

They should instead  focus on merging those low pop server out there.

Opening new realm, will cause those re-roll locust to flock to it for a while and leave after a few months. Once they leave they will create another low pop server. Doesn't blizz learn?

RIP Orc Choppa

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

Originally posted by arctarus

Really wonder why they still open more new realm with so many low population realms around?
    They should instead  focus on merging those low pop server out there.
    Opening new realm, will cause those re-roll locust to flock to it for a while and leave after a few months. Once they leave they will create another low pop server. Doesn't blizz learn?

A realms population ranking (low, medium, high) is a comparison to the others in the battlegroup.  A low pop realm does not mean that there's a low population on the realm.  It means it's low compared to the other realms in the group.  Basically you will ALWAYS have about a third of the realms at low pop, another third around medium pop and another third around high pop because it's just a relative indicator to try to get people to spread out amongst the realms.  They could close down 50 realms and you would still have plenty of low pop realms. 

Prior to BC Blizzard made a number of enchancements to realms to allow them higher populations and since then whenever a realm gets a little too crowded, they can raise the population level a bit to allow for more growth, but there comes a point where the realm is just too crowded and something else must be done to relieve the congenstion.  That's when you see free characters moves and now even new realms opening up.  There was a recent post by a Blizzard employee that said that there are only a handful of realms that would not be considered high population by preBC standards.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=4311223419&sid=1&pageNo=1#15

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=4032673628&pageNo=5&sid=1#86

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Well, it looks like that they are still adding subscriptions.

• RuthgarRuthgar Member Posts: 730

I rolled a character on this realm, but I just wished it was listed as an Oceanic realm.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Apparently the low pop realm is mostly from pvp servers :

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=4976277969&sid=1&pageNo=2

But this new realm is pve.

But i believe that their methods of high or low pop is base on the number of toons that is on that server rather then the number of active players on that server.

RIP Orc Choppa

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

New realms are a lot of fun.

Great place for grizzled and slightly burned out Vets like me to re-roll a new toon with some friends, make some new ones, and experience the magic all over again.

New PvP realms are even better, SO much world PvP action in the low and mid levels.

Now if only they gave XP for PvP....

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Well, it looks like that they are still adding subscriptions.
    Yup, still growing then.

Will it ever stop?

• GraviusGravius Member Posts: 8

But i believe that their methods of high or low pop is base on the number of toons that is on that server rather then the number of active players on that server.
    There is no solid indication Blizz counts the # of toons as oposed to an account having A character or Many characters on a server. At any one time u can play with a single char. If you have 8 toons on a server or just 1 it doesnt change the pop status of the server. Same thing goes to their subscription criteria where 1 account = 1 sub, not 4 chars = 4 subs. It makes the most sense to use this system, where you could have 1000 people on one server with 5 chars each, having a total pop of 5000, and it would show Medium Pop server, its just plain wrong.

I hope it all makes sense, im short on time @ work so if anything, correct me where im wrong

Cheers.

I Came. I Saw. I Kicked its Ass.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    According to warcraftrealms.com player primetime activity is higher than ever, so no wonder they need new realms.

I'd wish we'd get also new non-transfer realm to EU servers.

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

Nope, number of toons has nothing to do with it.  It's all related to peak active players per day.  That's pretty much why Warcraft Realms data while interesting, is pretty much irrelevent when talking about realm populations because it's exactly what you just said, based on the number of toons it finds when someone uses the tool.  They have no way of knowing whether or not 100 different toons are actually from 100 accounts or from 10.  They also have no way of knowing what the peak time is for a server or even if they have samplings from that time.  The data is so vague that no conclusions about realm population can be gained from viewing the data, not even historically which some people will try to tell you is an indication.  If you can't be sure on a day to day or week to week basis how accurate you are, how in the heck can you assume that trending is accurate in the least?  You can't. 

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=98662115&pageNo=1&sid=1#16

A quick search of Blizzard's realm status page for North America found the following:

PvP Realms: 107

High Pop: 31

Med Pop: 38

Low Pop: 38

PvE Realms: 118

High Pop: 25

Med Pop: 85

Low Pop: 8

So indeed it does appear there are a larger percentage of low pop servers for PvP realms, but if you'll notice, most of the realms are med pop overall and there are in fact more servers listed as high pop than low Pop.  And don't forget that these are just relative indicators.  Blizzard could change the way they classify high, med and low  pop tommorow and these results would change and they often do.

So to make a long story short,  Nobody but Blizzard has the hard data to show anything.  We have to go by what Blizzard tells us and they tell us all the time that realm pops are better than ever.