Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hero Classes

SunriderSunrider Member UncommonPosts: 527

With the advent of WotLK upon the players of WoW I think its important to see how people feel about this, so...

While I like the idea of hero classes i have an issue with the fact that they are only introducing one, and have said that other hero classes shall be introduced via-expansions.

Personally i dont like the idea of the death knight and have no interest in them. aside from this the thought waiting for 8months to a year per hero class is really annoying. anyone here anything different?

Edit: What other hero classes you think they'll put in?

"And after blizzard takes over the world, they are gonna gather a bunch of lemmings, sit on their fat asses near a cliff, and watch the little fuzzy bastards suicide dive into the ground below. . . . . all just for their own entertainment."

Comments

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

By introducing a hero class there's a lot of things to consider.  First off, it's the first new class they've introduced since the game started, so they have to be careful that it doesn't mess up the delicate balance there is between the existing classes.  Secondly, since it's a hero class there are inherit differences from the other classes and that too has to be carefully considered.  Personally I'm wondering how professions are going to work.  Since the class will start out at a higher level, will his professions also start out at a higher level or do you have to level them up from 1?  And if you did bump them up to say 225 or something to start, what about the recipes?  Do you just give him all the available recipes or just the ones you can get from trainers?  There's a lot of questions to be answered.  On top of that they are releasing a whole new continent to explore and new more levels and all that goes with that, so they have their hands full.

So in my opinion I think it's pretty wise to only introduce 1 hero class at least with this expansion so that you can kind of work out the kinks which there surely will be a few.  Maybe the next expansion could focus on just hero classes and not add a new continent and 10 more levels and all that.  In that case they could possibly introduce 2 or maybe 3 new hero classes instead of one.  There's no rule saying that just because this expansion only has 1 hero class that all additional expansions will only have 1.

As for what classes, I read somewhere that a Necro type class has been suggested.  One that has several pets raised from the corpses of fallen enemies.  That could be cool. :)

• retrospecticretrospectic Member UncommonPosts: 1,466

Originally posted by Sunrider

With the advent of WotLK upon the players of WoW I think its important to see how people feel about this, so...
    While I like the idea of hero classes i have an issue with the fact that they are only introducing one, and have said that other hero classes shall be introduced via-expansions.
    Personally i dont like the idea of the death knight and have no interest in them. aside from this the thought waiting for 8months to a year per hero class is really annoying. anyone here anything different?
    I am worried about the new hero class.  Adding any class that fills a set of roles incurs a lot of balance issues.  From what I gather, questing for the class is difficult.  That's good.  The quest should be balls hard and require the kind of group that is required to smote a heroic with little to no difficulty.  That's not going to happen though.  Much like the beginning of BC, I'm sure some french gnome is going to grind to 80 and attune his account for a death knight in a day.
    Also, I'm worried that the role of tanking as a Death Knight is going to start trouble.  Before BC, warriors were the only tanks worth a crap.  Now, we have three tanking classes.  I love this change.  With four, I'm interested (see also: worried) to see what balancing is done.  Right now, all tanks can do heroics and tank some raid bosses.  This is good.  It allows instances to have diversity in boss and trash fights, and allows players who do not like the idea of playing a warrior to give another class a shot.
    On the other hand, four tanking classes means that Death Knights will either fill a role similar to one of the other three, or a distinctly new role (which I cant even imagine).  This means that one class will see less invites, or instances will require a Death Knight for whatever content we do not yet see.
    Personally, I would have rather had a distinctly new approach to the 70-80 leveling experience.  I mean, level 80 is up there and far from 60.  When a character has seen 80 levels they deserve a type of uniqueness.  Tanking classes (Warrior, Druid, Paladin), for example, have different specs that are not tanking, but if they want to tank, the spec they choose is often very similar to others.  I'd love to see a distinctness between specs.  I'd much rather see a real commitment for these specs
    For example, as a Protect Paladin, I'd like to see my character reach a certain distinctness.  I'd be willing, as I'm sure some others would, to devote myself to the build that would require great pains to change.  Instead of being a Paladin able to gear three specs and change for a gold loss, I'd be a Tankadin (or a more cleverly named class) that loses retribution and holy aspects to obtain better tanking abilities.  Therefore, a Tankadin would be one of three "hero" classes within the Paladin normal class.  That would also leave room for those who would like to stay a Paladin and have the option to be a lesser version that relied on uniqueness.
    I know that is impossible, and I understand.  Even so, I'd rather have that type of change than questing for a new class type that made me basically reroll for something I might not even want.

Edit: What other hero classes you think they'll put in?
    They spoke about a druid type.  I think that would be interesting.
    I'd like to see a hero class based around the monk idea.  I played monk types in most other MMORPGs.  Although, the current class spread makes this sort of worthless.  The monk, as I see it, would have to fill a Shadow Priest type.  His abilities would have to be debuff/melee/buff type that healed/mana regened/buffed his comrades in a similar way.
    I would also like to see a well-done bard.  The idea of another plate wearing class that could CC/DPS/Buff would be neat.  It would be kind of like a Shaman, but able to do a different variety of group/raid specific things.  The EverQuest bard always seemed like such a well done class type.  I have yet to see something similar and equally cool.
  • powerbaitpowerbait Member Posts: 113

I'm pretty sure they are going to go with their traditional hero class types from WC3 but I could be wrong.  Blood Mage I'm sure we will eventually see in the game, after that I'm not sure what they are gonna do.  Also just fyi the Death Knight will be able to raise the dead.

------------------------------
    We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives.
    ~Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138
    Originally posted by powerbait

I'm pretty sure they are going to go with their traditional hero class types from WC3 but I could be wrong.  Blood Mage I'm sure we will eventually see in the game, after that I'm not sure what they are gonna do.  Also just fyi the Death Knight will be able to raise the dead.

But still only 1 pet at a time I believe.  What has been suggested is a class with multiple pets, similar to the Necromancer from Diablo II.  I think that would be a great addition and offer something different.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855

Tanks we could use more of and even though Druids and Paladins can tank they are not nearly as good as Warriors. If DKs don't tank as well a Warrior then they will just be a stop gap tank(can't find a Warrior so I guess a DK will have to do) until raiding.

Oooh, like WoW needs more DPS. Hybrid DPS at that. Blizzard doesn't have a clue how to handle Retribution Paladins so DPS DKs will most likely start overpowered as hell then get nerfed into the ground.

Blizzard has hinted at Blade Masters, Demon Hunters, Arch Druids and more but none of those are guaranteed. Also, don't expect them any time soon.

My guess is that the second Hero class introduced will not just be a regular class hybrid(hey,lets combine a Warrior with a Warlock) with a overly complicated control scheme that starts at level 60. Something wildly different from the norm.