Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I came back (or what other games lack)

AmpallangAmpallang Member Posts: 396

I have to confess I thought that there were other games as satisfying as AO and God was I wrong.  I will never play a Korean game again...

Anyway, There are some simple things that seemed so obvious that other MMO's never picked up on for some reason.

1)  Independent whisper windows:  Have whispers only in your chat bar is irritating as hell when have numerous people whispering you about things.  Give us more chat windows damnit!!!

2)  the ability to post items in a chat window so that others can look at them.  Strangely people might want to see the stats for armor pieces and not have to bother with opening a trade window or unequipping.  Its not difficult to figure out!!

3)  In other MMO's I notice that if you are in the chat window and you press an arrow key by accident it will go back to a previous sentence you have written and put it in the window.  What the hell?  Thankfully AO doesnt do that.

4)  Item histories that give more flavor to the world.  You know you like it.

5)  an active chat community.  Even with the reduced number of players, that chat is active and gives a sense of actually being with others.  Other games the general chat is quiet as a graveyard.  Even if it is just a stupid argument over whether Azurt could take down a cyborg or not, its still engaging.

6)  sightseeing.  Alot of MMOs don't have the sort of whimsical sense of humor and pop references in them that AO has in its non story related features like the face of sadness/happines or marvin the paranoid android.

If you have comeback, feel free to post your reasons.

If you are not being responded to directly, you are probably on my ignore list.

Comments

• johnnychangsjohnnychangs Member UncommonPosts: 261

I came back for the $5 fee.  However its been so long that I completely forgot how to play.

I have a level 90+ Martial Artist and a level 70+ doctor on my account, but totally am at a loss after 3 or so years away from the game.

• TekkamanTekkaman Member UncommonPosts: 158

Glad you're back and liking it!

I don't play anymore but I definitely have fond memories of the game.

As for your list, I'd say Vanguard does every single one of those, just as an example. Not that I think Vanguard is very good, but that is just my opinion, I hope that doesn't get the thread hijacked.

Good luck in the game :)

• AmpallangAmpallang Member Posts: 396

Don't even get me started on Vanguard...waste of my 39 dollars....

If you are not being responded to directly, you are probably on my ignore list.

• nebmusnebmus Member Posts: 7

Why I came back?

I've returned to AO a couple of times, and plan on coming back again now that there will be a graphics update. Not that I dislike the current graphics in any way. On the contrary, I've always felt them to be perfect with the rest of the game. Watching that sunset was really something special, music fading in... Yes, the music.

The music and the sounds in general, and the log-in sound and Clan tunes in particular. The music alone was the reason I returned the first time, after about two years away from the game.

To every AO veteran out there who plans on not coming back. Just listen to the Loading screen tune and tell me you don't miss that. And this?

Most of it can be found here.

Edit: Oh man. I wasn't planning on coming back just yet. I guess I'll see you all in Rubi-Ka.

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Aww thanks for posting those links to the music....if there's one thing Funcom do well.....its music.  Just listen to the tracks for AoC and you'll notice that too.

I recently came back (This time as a "froob") to see what, if anything has changed.  From what I see of Rubi-Ka, not much.  If anyone can give me a quick rundown on whats changed in shadowlands I'd be much appreciative ;).  Are there more quests and dungeons now?  Is Heckler grinding still a staple diet for those over 150?

Back to the OP's subject.  AO did some these things fantastically well.  The little touches that make you smile.....

Mission terminals!  Why oh why doesnt the creators of later MMO's ever run with this idea?  Its a fantstic way to give players something to do and their own little goals to obtain in mini-instances without having to put in too much work.  It also helps to flatten out those "xp troughs" that devs find when making an MMO.

One word never fails to make me laugh when I think of Shadowlands...........ERGO.  That little song he does on the first isle had me wetting myself when I first heard it!.

Anyhoo, I, like others will be taking part in the mass influx into the game come the day of the graphics update launch.  I'm hoping that Funcom have the resources to make this game shine brighter than ever before with this update. 

Its just a shame people can't get to see the wonders of Shadowlands without buying a subscription. 

Boy, if those graphics updates spill over into Shadowlands.....that place is going to be teaming again!