Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New COmputer gunna Build Gett or No?

timmy12timmy12 Member UncommonPosts: 390

GUNNA BUY

RAIDMAX AZTEC ATX-619WB Black/ Silver SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

550w PSU

BIOSTAR NF61S Micro AM2 SE AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

2GB DDR2 pc6400 (800mhz)

LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Brisbane 2.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor

geforce 8600gt    all that costs 480$ all i got

Currently have

AMD athlon XP 2800+, 1.67GHz, 2.00gb of ram, P4, Nvidia Geforce 6200 OC,

do u think its worth buying the new stuff or keep the old computer??? plz reply lol :P my frist time getting a new computer just need feedback plus i only can aford wats there :P

Comments

• timmy12timmy12 Member UncommonPosts: 390

So should i Buy it or no?

• Unicorns_PwnUnicorns_Pwn Member Posts: 427

No. That processor is not better than an Intel Processor unless you mean the old Pentium 4 architecture. The new core 2 Duos are faster per clock cycle than the AMD eqivalents. Also consume less power if you get the Penryn 45nm based Core 2 Duos. These kind of changes may put you over your available funding for the moment so break down your components by cost, mainly the cpu and motherboard and I will try and help you make a more sound decision if funding still allows it.

well that Amd ur talking about if i get that i should get the rest of the computer?

Personally, unless money was really tight I would not buy that AMD processor or motherboard period. IF you can wait a short amount of time and save a little more money I would go an Intel route.

well ya....i would have to wait for xmas again for money and i like amd's alot so ya lol

• GuintuGuintu Member UncommonPosts: 320

Actually I have to disagree that the Intel way would be better.  If you were buying a high end computer I would say go intel because Intel is faster, but since you're buying a mid-end computer I would say AMD is fine and maybe better.  You're not buying a bleeding edge video card or processor so you don't really notice the difference if you got the more expensive Intel processor.  I would though go with an Asus, Gigabyte or MSI motherboard that supports DDR3 ram.  I say this because later down the line if you want to upgrade you can get a good boost in speed.  Thats another thing about AMD is that the AM2 architechure will last longer than the Intel architechure of the moment.  When Intel goes to their next generation of processor they'll have a new motherboard.  When AMD goes to their new version of the processor they'll most likely make it for the AM2 chipset.  Reason being is now AMD is saying they want to make it easy for people to upgrade, so a year or two down the line you want to get a faster processor and add another video card you can.  If you want to go from duel core to quad core and use the same motherboard you can.  So if you have a budget its best to use AMD, if you have money to build a new computer ever 1-3 years and use the best parts then go Intel (until AMD comes back with their next awesome processor).

but in the future im not going to upgrade lol im just gunna stay at wat it is. so u guys think i shouldnt get it?

• GuintuGuintu Member UncommonPosts: 320

Well the biggest thing is the processor, that will be nice in newer games coming out.  The graphics card you won't really notice much, if it was a 6800 then thats a pretty big step...BUT now Nvidia is coming out with their 9xxx series card so you're quite a few steps back.  If you were to buy it I would then save money and upgrade the graphics card.  With that card you're going to have a hard time playing some of the new games coming out.  The ram and everything else won't make a huge difference from what you have.

IF you're using an AM2 motherboard now I would just say buy a faster processor and a better video card otherwise keep what you have.  If you're using a 939 chipset you can see if there is a bios update for your chipset, and get the fastest processor you can find for that and still upgrade the video card (Unless your present motherboard doesn't have a PCI express slot, then scratch that idea).  A new processor and graphics card should cost you less than what you have to spend.  You can actually get maybe an Nvidia 8800GS for about $200-250, and get the fastest processor you can afford.

well i just want a new computer becuase mine is crap now lol cant play any new games that are gunna come out and my friend said that stuff right there will be able to play Age of Conan and i was like cool lol becuase thats the game i want to play and the current computer i have now cant play it. My motherboard doesnt have a PCI express slot and also new computer so i can have two computer so one for friends and one for me when they come over lol.

I would not suggest anyone invest in DDR3 at the moment as the price is way too high and the performance is hardly better than DDR2 in real world usage.

So DDR3 sucks now??? i was gunna get DDR2 :)

well that about wraps that up with this thread thx guys for ur support and just one more thing lol still get  yes or no for better computer than mine so i can have two computer to play on?