Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of returning..

Ok, I know this topic has been done to death recently, but i'm still looking for feedback.

I played LOTRO during the open Beta, then subscribed for about a month. A lot was going on around that time for me, so while I enjoyed the game at first, I never really got into it partially due to not being able to commit any time to the game, and eventually I just cancelled. Then, a few months later I decided to give it another try. That lasted even less time then my first subscription.. not because of lack of time, but because of boredom.

I'm a huge LOTR fan and have been into the lore for a long time. I think the game did a great job of making it feel like middle earth.. but still, I got bored very quickly. I'm not sure if i'm missing something, or if the game just isn't for me.

I've played a few different MMORPG (Guild wars, city of heroes, WoW, etc) and the only one I ever got really into for a long period of time was WoW. At the time of LOTRO's launch, I had been out of WoW for over a year. The idea of a game SOMEWHAT similar to WoW, but based on LOTR sounded incredible to me.. but so far it has just been disappointing.

My main is a champion, and he's around lvl 25... is there a ton of good content up ahead I just haven't reached yet? Does it get less tedious? Is there more to do? Has monster play gotten any better?

Obviously a lot of these questions can't be answered by anyone but but me, but has anyone here had a similar experience? Or can anyone tell me what they really love to do in the game that might make it more enjoyable for someone like me?

Comments

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Pretty much every aspect of the game has gotten better.  However, if you didn't enjoy the game 1-25 previously, it's unlikely that the game has changed enough that it will grab you.

You could try a different race.  The Shire is a fantastic starting area if you are any kind of fan of the books.  reread the frirst the chapters of the Fellowship of the Ring, and then play up through the Shire.  Lot of insider references you won't get if you haven't read it recently.

You might also try a different class.  I personally don't care for Champs or Captains.

You should also look into some of the side activities. 

I personally enjoy the crafting a ton.  You can make some very nice items if you put some time into it.  Explorer is a good staring proffession (makes tons of cash easilly), armorsmith is a very usefull proffesion for any kind of heavy armor user.  It makes the crafting in WoW look positively stupid in comparison.  Most of the items you can make in WoW pale before cheap greens on the AH.  It's a bit silly.

I also got a bang out of decorating my house.  I still futz around with it once in a while.  You did now they added housing?

Monster play just got a big upgrade, but the populations are a bit off now.  The few times I've stuck my head in there have been 2 freeps for every creep in the zone.  That makes things pretty hopeless on the creep side. 

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• SinceAlwaysSinceAlways Member Posts: 3

I appreciate the response.

I did know the added housing, when I quit playing the last time people were talking about it a lot and waiting for it to be implemented, I haven't really looked into how it works though, so I don't know if it would add to the experience for me.

I was an explorer and i've gotta say one of the things I enjoyed most was gathering and selling things.

I think i'll give it another trying and play a hunter or burgler, no other games out right now interest me that much, and i'd like to have an mmo to play once in a while.