Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could this be the next "sleeper" hit for mmorpg's in NA/EU ?

124»

Comments

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860
    Originally posted by xTwiSteDx

Just to clear something up here Aion is NOT being developed by NCsoft  it is infact just being published by NCsoft in US/EU markets.  so all of these "oooh but it's being developed by NCsoft therefor it's going to suck" kind of attitude doesn't actually hold water.

Aion is being developed by studio5 of ncsoft korea if I recall correctly.

• Originally posted by Ephimero

Originally posted by xTwiSteDx

Just to clear something up here Aion is NOT being developed by NCsoft  it is infact just being published by NCsoft in US/EU markets.  so all of these "oooh but it's being developed by NCsoft therefor it's going to suck" kind of attitude doesn't actually hold water.

Aion is being developed by studio5 of ncsoft korea if I recall correctly.

I stand corrected, however i'm hoping their Asian development team is more competent than their American studio. but as with anything if you throw enough crap at a wall somethings going to stick eventually.

Although i'm very optimistic about this one, the high fantasy setting really appeals to me, the graphics and colour schemes they've chosen really appeal to me. I'm looking forward to wandering through huge open area's unlike in WoW where everything for the most part is very confined. From the video's i've seen the game has a very 'epic' feel about it something thats been lacking since the days of Everquest 1.

NC Austin team is being somehow reformed also, Ive read something about that in TR forums here, but cba to find it ^^

And you can count with huge areas, cryengine features that.

• suu141suu141 Member Posts: 249

Originally posted by Anofalye Originally posted by suu141
    I'm not sure if you understand the PvPvE portion of Aion. WoW proved that it's not possible to have unrestricted world RvR when a faction is significantly larger than the other and not cause ramifications from the players. PvPvE is NCSoft's answer to this problem by adding mobs that will "Ally" with an under-powered faction, together they will fight the opposing faction. If the larger faction is too over-powering, GMs will control the 3rd faction for added difficulty.
    Many people have found the epic castle sieges in Lineage II(even in DAoC) were enjoyable, therefore, The PvP portion in Aion will most likely revolve mainly in castle sieges, with the added flavor of a 3rd faction hindering players.
    Those who only enjoy PvE may disregard the PvP portion entirely by avoiding the Abyss and the random enemy portals. It appears PvE plays an enormous part in Aion, PvP is basicly optional.

I don't know if optional really means what it should these days.

EQ/WoW/EQ2/LotRO/DDO/Vanguard devs will argue that Raiding is optional while it isn't.  DAoC/EvE/WAR/AoC devs will argue that PvP/RvR is optional.

So I assume you don't mean optional, but merely means that I can avoid it if I accept extreme consequences.  Optional bears no downside consequences.  Your car for example would not run slower because you didn't take A/C, nor cost twice the price, nor be an oil-eater if you opt out.  Optional is widely overused by MMOs devs who have no idea what this word means.  Having a Ferrari, a Porchse or a Lada has a final car is not optional, this is far more than an option, it is a dire consequence to the budget I was willing to invest.  Having A/C in the car is optional and has no bearing on the car performances.

Will I be weaker in PvE if I don't go in the PvPvE zone?  If so, then PvP is enforced, not optional.  (and the devs should ready their flaming-suit right now, cause I will flame them when I experience PvP enforcement).

EDIT: Nice explanation about the PvP system...however I can't care less.  I play PvE.  So I won't be in the PvP zone, no matter if you call it PvPvE.  And if I suffer from this decision in PvE, then, I won't play long, I will tells my friends to avoid the game, and flame the devs.  :P

I don't know if you noticed but the main theme of Aion is 'A war between two races'. So this game is generally aimed towards gamers who enjoy PvP. Even still, Aion devs are trying to add enough PvE content for non-PvPers to enjoy.

I used the term "optional" very loosely, since Aion will be open PvP, the enemy can attack you anytime, anywhere. Even though it's difficult to freely roam in enemy lands since players can only go there via random portals, you will probably run into  them eventually as most PvE areas will be potential PvP hotspots. Avoiding PvP in the Abyss is out of the question. It's up to the person whether or not to engage in those situations. Other than that, PvP will not be enforced in terms of access of material items. All epic/endgame weapons and armor will be available through questing. PvP in the Abyss only allows those items to be obtained significantly faster.

I could understand of not wanting to PvP and/or avoiding ganking griefers or whatever. In my point of view, I only see enemy players as 'annoyingly persistent and some-what-intelligent "mobs" I need to kill or get killed by'.

Edit: Actually, the main theme is 'A war between 3 races'(Elyos, Asmodians, and Balaur, aka PvPvE), duh.

"When you're born you're naked, when you die you're naked again, and in-between all we do is work, eat, and play MMOs." ~Forum Warrior #141

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587

i've been doing my part to strong arm my mmo playin' friends into trying this game

• os008os008 Member UncommonPosts: 83

Been annoying my friend for weeks about how AoC isn't turning out to be the game i thought it would. So finally he sent me this email with a video link to a video on YouTube. And i was instantly hooked.

So weird that i've never heard of this game before, i stopped playing EQ2 6 months ago and was searching for any game worth playing. Known about AoC but was sceptic about it working out, then started following it closer the past 2 months, but don't like what i saw, but nevermind, this isn't an AoC review.

Anyway, i seriously hope this game works out, as i respect NCSoft very much.

Egyptian, 27
    Former EQ2, Guild Wars player
    Waiting on the next decent MMO
    Currently playing ... nothing.

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587

i dont have a lot of experiance w/ nc soft. i WAS on the lineage II beta, didnt like it.  I'm told this is not gonna be lineage III, so im not worried.

i gave up vanguard saga, i was on beta for that game...wich was rough to say the least, then it really improved...then i had some problems w/ personalities, i know this makes me look like the "problem personality" but you'll have to take my word on it i wasnt. 

I've been searching for a new mmo. tried final fantasy(ok different, not new) it was alright, but the graphics were terrible....So bring on AION!!

Lineage II improved a lot over time, i'm sure that a lot of people would play it if NC Austin pulled their heads out of their asses and boosted rates instead of boosting levels. Even if it was only in a certain server.

Anyways, it was like seeing how NCsoft was growing big, they released that low budget game 4 years ago, it was a hit in korea for being a kind of UO in a good tuxedo, and with all that money they made they managed to improve it quite a bit.

Now, Aion is kind of the product of that L2/GW/CoX gathered money, with 2008's design in mind and with well stablished offices around the world for a flawless release, they will do a good job.

Also, keep in mind that the best korean artists and designers are involved in this, this isn't a cabal, this is like korean's elite product, let's wait and see.