Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could this be the next "sleeper" hit for mmorpg's in NA/EU ?

Comments

• HousamHousam Member Posts: 1,460

meh..alot of people wont give this game a chance..even tough its not out yet...geez...and the only western mmo that has done fantastic on its own tur is WoW.....most other games wester or asian only have a max of 500 000 players (in eu an na)

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Housam

meh..alot of people wont give this game a chance..even tough its not out yet...geez...and the only western mmo that has done fantastic on its own tur is WoW.....most other games wester or asian only have a max of 500 000 players (in eu an na)

The graphics shout out "asian grinder", the development team shouts out "asian grinder", all videos shout out "asian grinder" and a korean only beta shouts out "asian grinder" even louder.

• AchronosAchronos Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by Kilmar

The graphics shout out "asian grinder", the development team shouts out "asian grinder", all videos shout out "asian grinder" and a korean only beta shouts out "asian grinder" even louder.

The graphics shout out "asian art style", the development team shouts out "casual leveling and questing", all videos shout out "asian art style and casual leveling and questing" and a EU/NA Closed Beta shouts out "casual leveling and questing" even louder.

Fixed.

Originally posted by Achronos

The graphics shout out "asian art style", the development team shouts out "casual leveling and questing", all videos shout out "asian art style and casual leveling and questing" and a EU/NA Closed Beta shouts out "casual leveling and questing" even louder.

Fixed.

lol hehe...i dont think hes actually seen any proper videos of aion...like i said...alot of people are just asuming that this is another asian grind-fest with no real proof...

• erandurerandur Member Posts: 727

I've been following this game for about a year now, and it just seems amazing! In-game flight combines with PvP... Might get interesting. The flight in general is interesting, beautiful landscapes seen from above. The RvR might be good, but isn't new. And the weather system sounds good!

If they add more of such aspects, this'll become the greatest MMO of our time. IF they add more of such aspects, which I doubt...

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

Originally posted by Achronos

Fixed.

What's the point of copying pointless nonsense? The graphics point out: "at least we try to create good graphics". The development team screams out: "we're focusing on the western market, and we're trying to get rid of any forms of grind". The videos point out: "playable, good graphics, and incredible animations". And beta's of highly anticipated games are usually closed...

You might to check your sources, as none of them makes sense nor is realistic.

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

• AchronosAchronos Member Posts: 7

They are not assuming they are just bashing. It's the same thing on every forum, WAR ? WoW Clone, AoC ? It will fail because of X, Aion ? Easy one, you don't even need to search a default just bash the stereotype.

Originally posted by Baggs

Im so laughing at u right now for being such an idiot
    U can have your own opinion noone said u gotta agree with everyone else.
    However, in this case u are wrong.Its not a grindfest like Lineage 2 is.
    Devs keep stating that for over 2 years now since the game was just an upcoming project.
    Once u start lvling properly with a good party for example, the devs guaranteed that u should be able to hit lvl 40-50 in very short period of time, unlike l2 where it takes ages and if u have to go solo because u wont be able to buy yourself gear while lvling up.
    All in all i still believe you've done 0 research and you're probably making this all up just to act cool or farm posts.
    As for the beta test, its a closed beta test u little muffin and because of course u dont have a clue about it either let me enlighten u.
    U gotta visit the korean site-which is AION's only official site- and apply for beta.
    If u had done any research then u have visited their site.Obviously though, u didnt.
    Their beta is divided to parts,12 so far.
    1 part might equal a week, 2 weeks or more.Anyways koreans call them beta weeks somehow.
    Once u get accepted your account is indeed permanent, but in this case servers are not open 24/7 , neither your beta account.
    I was not accepted at the general closed beta, but to a special test the held from Jan to Feb.
    I applied (ofc) to that as well.And received and email from NCsoft more or less with a link to page that let me decide date/time i was able to play their game.So i did.And it was only for 2 hours.
    I wasnt impressed buddy.BUT the game isnt just another asian mmo.I give them that.
    It has a lot of cool features and overall its a game that a lot of causal gamers will buy.
    Have a nice day now and please next time you try to be a smartass, think twice.
    Although I share your opinion, I must correct your "AION's only official website". Each continent has it's own. ;) Europeans have eu.aiononline.com for example.

• QmireQmire Member Posts: 423

this game has potential....

Also i never really understood the great hate towards asian mmorpgs, they were often alot better, more action, faster combat pace/gameplay, there was a grind yes but if you try to tell me the western back then didn't have a grind, then you're only fooling yourself. The real problem with asian mmorpgs back then was possibly just the lack of content in the end.

this mmorpg might very well be a sleeper hit, and yes i did also just by a "mistake" fall over this one and now kinda in a state of "what to do....".

Asian mmorpgs were better than western (IMHO) untill WoW arrived which funnily enough had gameplay/pace that matched some of my favorite asian mmorpgs, yet it had loads of content so it kinda blew me away, when comparing every other mmorpg on the market, WoW haters could say what they want but it was one of a kind, king of the hill, better than the rest, hands down more polished than any other before it.

I have hopes in AoC, i just hope the gameplay/combat pace will be good enough, the thing i hate about mmorpgs is slow and stupid combat pace that simply doesn't "feel right", wow had a fluid combat pace, which was a first in the western mmorpg market. When i see WAR gameplay videos, the first thing that pops into my mind is "looks like an old typical western mmorpg, non fluid combat pace, too long breaks between actions...." ect.

If Aion got what it takes with gameplay, combat pace, and content it will most likely be on my list for sure. however NCsoft has made some mistakes over the years of their mmorpg list, i hope they have learned their lessons but only time will tell.

so right now i got 3 upcoming titles to go fore, which is more than last year, AoC, WotLK, and Aion.

Originally posted by Qmire

this game has potential....

Also i never really understood the great hate towards asian mmorpgs, they were often alot better, more action, faster combat pace/gameplay, there was a grind yes but if you try to tell me the western back then didn't have a grind, then you're only fooling yourself. The real problem with asian mmorpgs back then was possibly just the lack of content in the end.
    this mmorpg might very well be a sleeper hit, and yes i did also just by a "mistake" fall over this one and now kinda in a state of "what to do....".

Asian mmorpgs were better than western (IMHO) untill WoW arrived which funnily enough had gameplay/pace that matched some of my favorite asian mmorpgs, yet it had loads of content so it kinda blew me away, when comparing every other mmorpg on the market, WoW haters could say what they want but it was one of a kind, king of the hill, better than the rest, hands down more polished than any other before it.

I have hopes in AoC, i just hope the gameplay/combat pace will be good enough, the thing i hate about mmorpgs is slow and stupid combat pace that simply doesn't "feel right", wow had a fluid combat pace, which was a first in the western mmorpg market. When i see WAR gameplay videos, the first thing that pops into my mind is "looks like an old typical western mmorpg, non fluid combat pace, too long breaks between actions...." ect.

If Aion got what it takes with gameplay, combat pace, and content it will most likely be on my list for sure. however NCsoft has made some mistakes over the years of their mmorpg list, i hope they have learned their lessons but only time will tell.
    so right now i got 3 upcoming titles to go fore, which is more than last year, AoC, WotLK, and Aion.
    i think asia mmo got given a bad name ever sice all the f2p mmorpg came out..meh....oh well

imo asians make better game in genral

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

Just as much as WAR shouts half-assed WoW copy. Take it as you please.

• toadkillertoadkiller Member Posts: 148

Originally posted by Ephimero

Just as much as WAR shouts half-assed WoW copy. Take it as you please.

Agreed ,

Also anyone who can tolerate the train-wreck of a game known as Vanguard for 50 levels implying anything about another game having grinding is bit much

VG shouts out complete and unfinished crap and worst mmorpg launch ever to me overall - so to each their own

i liked Lineage2 also , for it's time looked great and still not bad , I prefer some death penalties also so that's a plus for me too - I have a feeling this one will launch without the laughable drama and freefall into oblivion that VG did also

• shizzieshizzie Member Posts: 32

Ill say this now, and u can quote me in a few months for accuracy, Aion will not be on par with WOW's subscriber numbers, but it will deffinatly be in the top 3, most likly by that time the top 3 will be AOC,WAR,and then trailing close behind, Aion. Yes it will be a grinder, but it will also have the open ended pvp combat that lineage had to offer, and a graphic style that is very stylish, not just another WOW clone. I know it sounds crazy, but theres actusly a descent amount of western people (americans) who like grinders, especialy ones that try to take a more mature anime style, why do you think they actualy sold lineage2 and granado espada in the box at major stores here?  if a grinder actualy makes it onto wal mart and target shelfs, its doing pretty good in my books, And expect Aion to be there in a few months, right beside Aoc and War,hell, gotta buy somethign when those sell out =p, personaly ill be skippng war and AOC  just to try aion 1st, hopefully in closed/open beta, because i love ncsoft, and the cry engine, and this style realy apeals to me.

Stand back, ill take care of this

imo games like aion and the chronicles of spellborn will be the better games out if the 4 majour mmorpg comming out this year,,,but i belive AOC and WAR will do much better......cos funcomm and ea mythic have better advertisment than the other two games (and are in every game convention)....aion and especially tcosb are keeping a bit to quite imo...

• suu141suu141 Member Posts: 249

Your perceptiveness is truly amazing. I wish I possessed your skill in automatically determining what a game is going to be just by watching and reading.

btw, what's an Asian grinder?

Do you know if EQ2 is a Asian grinder? I think it's made by some company called Somy or Sony or something like that.

P.S. I'm sorry if Aion doesn't have any halflings, maybe they'll add it later in a future expansion :)

Oh, sorry, I didn't take my meds today, don't mind me ^^;

"When you're born you're naked, when you die you're naked again, and in-between all we do is work, eat, and play MMOs." ~Forum Warrior #141

• shizzieshizzie Member Posts: 32

well, ill compare it to lineage2 in another way, its overall subscriber base, for l2 in its prime it had what id assume to be 2mill players in the west. but now 2 years in, its probably less then 1/2 that. So my assumption is Aion will do the same thing, Huge initial influx, then as people see what there is to see they will drop it to try the other top titles that will be flooding the market. Personaly, i usualy try a game for a year, 2 years if i realy like it, but i try to play all major titles atleast alil to make sure im not overlooking any games, so for people like me, getting hooked while the game is in its prime will be the key factor in its succes obviously.

in the end im pretty skeptical underneath it all, cuz the mmo market is changing so rapidly recently, and big budget titles are coming out in waves, as apposed to a few years ago , when you could truely base a games chance of success on a strategic release date.....now you have tons of fresh options every time you blink, so this allows people to be much more critical .....this year is going to be like 2 years er  more ago, when eq2, l2, and wow al released in close proximity.

Stand back, ill take care of this

Originally posted by shizzie

well, ill compare it to lineage2 in another way, its overall subscriber base, for l2 in its prime it had what id assume to be 2mill players in the west. but now 2 years in, its probably less then 1/2 that. So my assumption is Aion will do the same thing, Huge initial influx, then as people see what there is to see they will drop it to try the other top titles that will be flooding the market. Personaly, i usualy try a game for a year, 2 years if i realy like it, but i try to play all major titles atleast alil to make sure im not overlooking any games, so for people like me, getting hooked while the game is in its prime will be the key factor in its succes obviously.
    in the end im pretty skeptical underneath it all, cuz the mmo market is changing so rapidly recently, and big budget titles are coming out in waves, as apposed to a few years ago , when you could truely base a games chance of success on a strategic release date.....now you have tons of fresh options every time you blink, so this allows people to be much more critical .....this year is going to be like 2 years er  more ago, when eq2, l2, and wow al released in close proximity.

actually no...aion will do better than l2....l2 came out before wow...whic was the game that made mmo  mainstreem .... so aion will do much better..

• elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

Originally posted by toadkiller

So basically , you are the type who generalizes about anyone who looks truly open PvP without handholding rules , good one
    Yes I think a level 13 should be able to attack a level 12 and a 24 a level 23 and so on - I think handholding rules are abused more than more open ones and people like to use the ganking excuse because they prefer it safe
    And finally even if there had to be handholding rules for your type they could have gone a different route then a "chaos chicken" - I dont like the idea and think its pretty stupid - and shockingly there are lots of others even still firm fans of the game who hate the idea also
    Yes I am looking more forward to this game than WAR now , and as someone who has spend lots of money over the decades on Warhammer Fantasy and 40K and is a mmorpg gamer , I dont blindly follow any devs or ideas and can call something stupid even if I love the IP , and as it stands now I find Warhammer being a cheap WoW knock off that wont even have its PvP (and thats pretty bad)

I'd like to same I'm shocked and amazed at this post but I'm really not.  Its still an unlogical way to look at what the chicken is for.  Its to keep lvl 40s from coming down into a Tier 1 zone whichi s lvl 1 to 10 and basically ganking / griefing / ass whiping noobs which history shows people will do and of course people like the Goon Squad will most definitly do.  There's nothing wrong with an open stance on that sort of behavior, since that sort of behavior has in the past been known to deter new players from joining an MMO.   

If you want to get down to the meat and potatos of 12 vs a lvl 11 I'm more than sure you can do that Since Tiers are 10 levels wide.  

If you want to play another game fine but I still have a right last time I looked to voice some good reasoning behind rules that keep griefers from ruining the game for others.  

There's nothing wrong with truely open PvP games if you knew anything about me you'd see I openly defend EvE's 1 world 1 server mechanic and it is an Open PvP game.  

btw Aion won't be a sleeper hit there's barely any creditable information on it yet and just because WoW opened up the market doesn't mean everyone's going to get a share in the pie. 

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

Originally posted by elvenangel 
    btw Aion won't be a sleeper hit there's barely any creditable information on it yet and just because WoW opened up the market doesn't mean everyone's going to get a share in the pie. 

Let me guess, War will, right?

Creditable info? hello, videos>paul whatever with illustrations on his back, he can tell me bears have laser beams and I would not give a shit until he shows me. Now look for Aion videos in youtube and then look for WAR. Sorry, but im not going to pay for hype, im paying for a game.

Bigger IPs have failed already, bigger overhyped games have flopped, and its not like if Mythic had a game with over 1M people going on right now.

Just quit assuming.

there is alot of info out on this game....also the beta is more polished of the war and aoc....

• laleblaleb Member Posts: 215
    I only play for pvp now days and frankly I like the idea of the chaos chicken. To many people want to grief others because they can not compete with those of the same rank ~ level ~ gear. Why would you want to attack lowbies unless you have no skill anyways
  • suu141suu141 Member Posts: 249

So basically , you are the type who generalizes about anyone who looks truly open PvP without handholding rules , good one
    Yes I think a level 13 should be able to attack a level 12 and a 24 a level 23 and so on - I think handholding rules are abused more than more open ones and people like to use the ganking excuse because they prefer it safe
    And finally even if there had to be handholding rules for your type they could have gone a different route then a "chaos chicken" - I dont like the idea and think its pretty stupid - and shockingly there are lots of others even still firm fans of the game who hate the idea also
    Yes I am looking more forward to this game than WAR now , and as someone who has spend lots of money over the decades on Warhammer Fantasy and 40K and is a mmorpg gamer , I dont blindly follow any devs or ideas and can call something stupid even if I love the IP , and as it stands now I find Warhammer being a cheap WoW knock off that wont even have its PvP (and thats pretty bad)

I'd like to same I'm shocked and amazed at this post but I'm really not.  Its still an unlogical way to look at what the chicken is for.  Its to keep lvl 40s from coming down into a Tier 1 zone whichi s lvl 1 to 10 and basically ganking / griefing / ass whiping noobs which history shows people will do and of course people like the Goon Squad will most definitly do.  There's nothing wrong with an open stance on that sort of behavior, since that sort of behavior has in the past been known to deter new players from joining an MMO.   

If you want to get down to the meat and potatos of 12 vs a lvl 11 I'm more than sure you can do that Since Tiers are 10 levels wide.  

If you want to play another game fine but I still have a right last time I looked to voice some good reasoning behind rules that keep griefers from ruining the game for others.  

There's nothing wrong with truely open PvP games if you knew anything about me you'd see I openly defend EvE's 1 world 1 server mechanic and it is an Open PvP game.  

Interesting. Considering how much time you spend on the WAR forums, you came alllllll the way to the insignificant Aion section to convince an Ex-potential WAR customer to reconsider. Is it me or is there a small trickle of Ex-WAR fans flocking over to Aion and you're trying to bring them back to WAR?

Nah, must be my imagination. Like you said, Aion won't be a hit. So I guess a few hand-fulls of disappointed War fans wouldn't matter... or does it?

Yes, Aion will not be a hit, neither will WAR nor AoC nor TCoS or whatever else is coming out. Regardless of what people say about those games, nothing is going to change the fact that 50%-80% of the population can't afford a machine that would run any of those games. Of the 9 million WoW subs, 8 million are pretty much stuck in there due to hardware limitations. In 2-3 years when current computer components become dirt cheap, everyone will flock over to the mentioned titles, WoW will be dead. This cycle will repeat itself for every game that comes out.

Doesn't matter what you say or think now, in the end, the game will speak for itself once it's completed.

"When you're born you're naked, when you die you're naked again, and in-between all we do is work, eat, and play MMOs." ~Forum Warrior #141

• toadkillertoadkiller Member Posts: 148

Originally posted by suu141

Interesting. Considering how much time you spend on the WAR forums, you came alllllll the way to the insignificant Aion section to convince an Ex-potential WAR customer to reconsider. Is it me or is there a small trickle of Ex-WAR fans flocking over to Aion and you're trying to bring them back to WAR?

Nah, must be my imagination. Like you said, Aion won't be a hit. So I guess a few hand-fulls of disappointed War fans wouldn't matter... or does it?

Yes, Aion will not be a hit, neither will WAR nor AoC nor TCoS or whatever else is coming out. Regardless of what people say about those games, nothing is going to change the fact that 50%-80% of the population can't afford a machine that would run any of those games. Of the 9 million WoW subs, 8 million are pretty much stuck in there due to hardware limitations. In 2-3 years when current computer components become dirt cheap, everyone will flock over to the mentioned titles, WoW will be dead. This cycle will repeat itself for every game that comes out.

Doesn't matter what you say or think now, in the end, the game will speak for itself once it's completed.

Put it this way , you're allowed to say you got invited to the WAR beta as part of the NDA  , well I did and 3 other friends who went to a Gamesday did , we all are mmorpg and tabletop fans both and play Warahammer fantasy thus big fans of the IP and 40K also , novels read and so on

We all are now looking for info on this game and AoC ,  and nothing NDA breaking about stating that at all

I for one am glad I stumbled upon this upcoming game

• 1wolfie11wolfie1 Member Posts: 30

i say to all that a flameing asian grinder omg wow clone omg or wow wannbie omg...

plz go play wow and have fun dancing with a chick you think is hot...

o and btw... did the 9+ million accounts (last time i heard was like a few years ago) accuale real accounts beinhd played every week or so... or are about 20-40% of them sub accounts??????

SAY WHAT??? SOME OF THEM WERE??? AION WONT REACH THAT MANY????? NO WAAAAAY you kidding me... who the hell cares

btw if your about to flame me... close this window and open your WoW client and have fun... thanks

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061
    Originally posted by 1wolfie1

i say to all that a flameing asian grinder omg wow clone omg or wow wannbie omg...

plz go play wow and have fun dancing with a chick you think is hot...

o and btw... did the 9+ million accounts (last time i heard was like a few years ago) accuale real accounts beinhd played every week or so... or are about 20-40% of them sub accounts??????

SAY WHAT??? SOME OF THEM WERE??? AION WONT REACH THAT MANY????? NO WAAAAAY you kidding me... who the hell cares

btw if your about to flame me... close this window and open your WoW client and have fun... thanks

Your post doesn't need to be flamed, the poor quality of your writing and your incoherent statements are enough. You are making all the people who try to sensibly post 'in defense' of Aion look stupid.