Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

direct2drive.com

I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet..

On Direct2drive.com Star Wars Galaxies is currently the #1 purchased download on the site.

Is there alot of people coming back to this game?

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who pick their nose.. and liars.

Comments

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

hmm that is strange...

• The_Elder_CLOWNThe_Elder_CLOWN Member Posts: 57

No.

M M O S S I N C E |1998|
    P L A Y I N G F A L L E N E A R T H
    T I M E I N V E S T E D |uo|swg|wow|fe|
    B E T A T E S T E R |rz|tr|hgl|potbs|potc|gw|hz|wish|fe|wow|df|war|allods|cog|lu|
    w w w . c l o w n g u i l d . o r g

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

I'm not suprised there are alot of people starting to play the game again.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

Originally posted by summitus

I'm not suprised there are alot of people starting to play the game again.
    Really?

Cause I and most others familiar with SOE are...

• smg77smg77 Member Posts: 672

It's currently the only way to get an instant travel vehicle so it's just the fanboys buying them. From my last vet trial there are *not* a lot of brand new players playing the game. Those that do use the free trial and give up after a few days because the game is so bad.

• akevvakevv Member Posts: 208

It is also the only way to obtain the current game. The box has been out of print for months.

Akevv Ostone
    No Longer SWG Free :(

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by smg77

It's currently the only way to get an instant travel vehicle so it's just the fanboys buying them. From my last vet trial there are *not* a lot of brand new players playing the game. Those that do use the free trial and give up after a few days because the game is so bad.

But there's only a handful of people per server!  There couldn't possibly be that many people buying the game!

• smg77smg77 Member Posts: 672
    Originally posted by Obraik

But there's only a handful of people per server!  There couldn't possibly be that many people buying the game!

Or it could be that not many people use direct2drive to buy games?

• rejadrejad Member Posts: 346

Perhaps its an indicator of how "successful" a business Direct2Drive is. 

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Sarcasim doesn't become you Obraik.

Besides, the server populations havn't really changed much (except for a slight decline) in the past several months. So either new players have replaced exiting players, or it's only because of the lack of availability in retail stores.

Which do you think it is?

Originally posted by Suvroc

Besides, the server populations havn't really changed much (except for a slight decline) in the past several months. So either new players have replaced exiting players, or it's only because of the lack of availability in retail stores.

Everyone else has been having fun with sarcasim, I thought I'd give it a try too ;)

From personal experience in-game, I (still) have to disagree with you on your claim that the populations have decreased, at least on my server.  Although I'm sure I'll get replies of "of course you'll say that", I really do believe the population on Chilastra has been increasing and I'm not the only one to notice this.

I think the reason it's at the number 1 spot is due to 3 reasons:  New players picking up the set for access to all expansions, returning players doing the same thing and exisiting players wanting the ITV. 

Direct2Drive is not the only place you can purchase SWG.  With the Trial, when you finish you get the option to subscribe which gives you full access to the game and all expansions except for Trials of Obi-wan.  Over the holiday period, they had been promoting this path to the game with the Buddy Program.

Everyone else has been having fun with sarcasim, I thought I'd give it a try too ;)

From personal experience in-game, I (still) have to disagree with you on your claim that the populations have decreased, at least on my server.  Although I'm sure I'll get replies of "of course you'll say that", I really do believe the population on Chilastra has been increasing and I'm not the only one to notice this.

I think the reason it's at the number 1 spot is due to 3 reasons:  New players picking up the set for access to all expansions, returning players doing the same thing and exisiting players wanting the ITV. 

Direct2Drive is not the only place you can purchase SWG.  With the Trial, when you finish you get the option to subscribe which gives you full access to the game and all expansions except for Trials of Obi-wan.  Over the holiday period, they had been promoting this path to the game with the Buddy Program.

Perhaps it is getting busier on Chilastra but that may be at the expense of other servers (i.e. server transfers). I was simply looking at the "big picture" in terms of server populations.

So again I have to point out that it's either existing players buying from direct2drive, or the rate of new players to exiting players is in a state of balance.

Perhaps it is getting busier on Chilastra but that may be at the expense of other servers (i.e. server transfers). I was simply looking at the "big picture" in terms of server populations.

So again I have to point out that it's either existing players buying from direct2drive, or the rate of new players to exiting players is in a state of balance.

I'm sure there transfers do play a part but a trip through Eisley shows a healthy number of low level players running around.

Out of curiosity, I took a quick look at the top NZ online game store and the older Complete pack is listed at #46 out of all their current game sales (including consoles), WoW is at #30.  I don't think that's too bad considering.

I'm sure there transfers do play a part but a trip through Eisley shows a healthy number of low level players running around.

Out of curiosity, I took a quick look at the top NZ online game store and the older Complete pack is listed at #46 out of all their current game sales (including consoles), WoW is at #30.  I don't think that's too bad considering.

So if you're seeing some new players but the populations are reletively the same (refering to overall population and not just Chilastra) then is it safe to assume that you're seeing a balance of new players to exiting players? Or could it be that some players haven't used up all of their character slots and are therefore starting a new character on a "populated" server?

And likewise isn't it a possibility that current subscribers are buying older "Complete" boxes just for the rare items available with those boxes (i.e. that BARC speeder)? Serisouly, what are those BARCS going for these days on some servers? Could it not be cheaper to buy the box with those rare items and selling them for credits then buying credits from some company, nevermind actually safer to do so?

BTW Obraik, would you mind linking that NZ online store so we can view that list and what specifically were numbers 45, 44, 43... etc....

• Ollie77Ollie77 Member Posts: 164

I find it funny that you can still find boxed copies of a game that went out of production 6+ months ago.

Can't counter an argument with a valid discussion point? Fishermage(aka Fisherprice) recommends you cut and paste: ad hominem

"You will come to the conclusion that the only people crazier than the managers who thought this a good idea are those who put up with it and pay for it." - Salvaje (who paid to play the NGE for 18 months) /golfclap

Originally posted by Ollie77

I find it funny that you can still find boxed copies of a game that went out of production 6+ months ago.

Vailid point!

Specifically since I was just looking on Amazon for a CD that's been out of production for several years and they had 1 copy going for $70.00!

So if you're seeing some new players but the populations are reletively the same (refering to overall population and not just Chilastra) then is it safe to assume that you're seeing a balance of new players to exiting players? Or could it be that some players haven't used up all of their character slots and are therefore starting a new character on a "populated" server?

And likewise isn't it a possibility that current subscribers are buying older "Complete" boxes just for the rare items available with those boxes (i.e. that BARC speeder)? Serisouly, what are those BARCS going for these days on some servers? Could it not be cheaper to buy the box with those rare items and selling them for credits then buying credits from some company, nevermind actually safer to do so?

BTW Obraik, would you mind linking that NZ online store so we can view that list and what specifically were numbers 45, 44, 43... etc....

I think we sorta detoured into a different discussion of server populations, which really, is a pointless subject since neither side is going to believe the other ;)  Whether it's old players, new players or some combo, the copies are still selling and that's still profit for the game - more profit then if it was a retail package since there's no physical goods to pay to manufactor.

As for the NZ site, http://www.gpstore.co.nz/Games/1523033.html.   

I think we sorta detoured into a different discussion of server populations, which really, is a pointless subject since neither side is going to believe the other ;)  Whether it's old players, new players or some combo, the copies are still selling and that's still profit for the game - more profit then if it was a retail package since there's no physical goods to pay to manufactor.

Well, I'm not hiding anything. You have the opportunity to view the same information I have been. And secondly, it's not pointless. It's in complete contradiction of some peoples opinions of an ever-increasing population.

Lastly, nobody made any claim that those copies were not being sold. The question remains who is buying them.

Again, this sounds like a deflection of the real issue and that is of the implications of an increasing population overall.

• Sam123jo0123Sam123jo0123 Member Posts: 409

Its good to see SWGAED is back on its feet. Must admit that i have seen a steady increase in players like you obraik.

Account has been stolen, why would someone want to steal my account?

Well, I'm not hiding anything. You have the opportunity to view the same information I have been. And secondly, it's not pointless. It's in complete contradiction of some peoples opinions of an ever-increasing population.

Lastly, nobody made any claim that those copies were not being sold. The question remains who is buying them.

Again, this sounds like a deflection of the real issue and that is of the implications of an increasing population overall.

IMO, population discussions really are a pointless topic.  Neither side is willing to believe the other and there are different enviromental factors that influence what someone considers to be "populated" or "dead" so these discussions go on for pages with the argument being no different on the last page then it was in the very first post.

I never said you thought the copies weren't being sold, I was merely pointing out that no matter where they went, it's still good for the game as it brings in profit whether said people are still subscribe or not. 

• Ramones274Ramones274 Member Posts: 366

This has turned into a very interesting discussion.

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who pick their nose.. and liars.

• Ollie77Ollie77 Member Posts: 164

All these arguments will be over one way or the other soon enough:

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6185854.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;4

Can't counter an argument with a valid discussion point? Fishermage(aka Fisherprice) recommends you cut and paste: ad hominem

"You will come to the conclusion that the only people crazier than the managers who thought this a good idea are those who put up with it and pay for it." - Salvaje (who paid to play the NGE for 18 months) /golfclap

IMO, population discussions really are a pointless topic.  Neither side is willing to believe the other and there are different enviromental factors that influence what someone considers to be "populated" or "dead" so these discussions go on for pages with the argument being no different on the last page then it was in the very first post.

I never said you thought the copies weren't being sold, I was merely pointing out that no matter where they went, it's still good for the game as it brings in profit whether said people are still subscribe or not. 

But may I also point out that you're making comments in a forum implying an increase of populations.

That would then be hypocritical.

But may I also point out that you're making comments in a forum implying an increase of populations.

That would then be hypocritical.

Indeed it would.  Which is why I stopped.

• rejadrejad Member Posts: 346

Originally posted by Ramones274

This has turned into a very interesting discussion.

No it hasn't.