Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My biggest fears for Aion

TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

It will be a grind from hell like Lineage II.  It will be full of gold farmers which will destroy the economy.   It will be uber guild oriented and solo game play will be out of the question.  Those are my biggest fears.

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by Teala

It will be a grind from hell like Lineage II.  It will be full of gold farmers which will destroy the economy.   It will be uber guild oriented and solo game play will be out of the question.  Those are my biggest fears.

If you read a bit about the game you will find that your fears have no basis as far as grind. However, it could be a guild oriented and solo game. Which of course I think is good.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,082

The game isn't gonna be like Lineage 2, really. Alot more immersive world, and the leveling process will be similar to something between WoW's and Lotro's.  It's gonna have a ton of solo and group content, etc..go to aionsource.com or aionglobal and read about it :D

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573
    Originally posted by Sovrath

If you read a bit about the game you will find that your fears have no basis as far as grind. However, it could be a guild oriented and solo game. Which of course I think is good.

Ide like to see where it says it wont have a grind like lineage II . The only thing I heard on video interviews is that you will have lots of missions which you will get exp from and that from missions alone the game will be soloable and fun for the casual player. This makes me think that the game might  have a huge grind  knowing that Lineage II has a huge grind x 999999 .

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

From Ayase, Ncsoft PR for Aion.

Many of the previous posters have good points. One of the things playing in here, for some people, is the definition of  "grind". For some, fighting a single monster is a grind while others could be at it for days in a row without considering it grinding. Having that said - Aion will need you to kill a couple of bad guys. Of course, that goes for practically the entire* MMO genre. :)

As has been mentioned, Aion is a whole other franchise than Lineage. With Aion, we want to appeal more to the casual player than the Lineage games did. There's a number of things being done to accomplish this and I'll mention a few.

* ) I don't really enjoy making comparisons like these, but to help paint the picture - Leveling progression will be comparable to that of World of Warcraft albeit perhaps slightly longer. In other words - We're definitely not looking at adopting the progression curve of Lineage II. Aion is an entirely seperate game that isn't necessarily meant for the same audience.

* ) You don't need to reach maximum level in order to participate in PvP(vE), which is the focus of Aion. There is an area called "The Abyss" where you, together in smaller parties or larger raid-groups, will fight to capture or defend fortresses, important military bases/locations - but this isn't limited to players who have reached the maximum level. Something that might be interesting to know is that players actually gain experience from participating in PvP.

*) We want to have short-term goals in the game, such as quests fitting within shorter timeframes. There will also be appropriate rewards for completing those. Very powerful game items (weapons and armours) will be attainable in different ways, making it easier for casual players to gradually work towards them. Examples would include: Crafting, questing, PvP'ing, raiding or simply PvE'ing.

*) Of course, if there's nothing to do besides fighting, things could grow old rather fast anyway. That's why there will be many other things in Aion to do, too. Just a few examples would be the cooking system, the gathering of resources or the crafting of items that players actually have use of. There are some gameplay videos out there right now, could be informative to check them out. :)

I hope these few points helped at least a little bit in clarifying a little bit about what we want to achieve with Aion. I hope you stick around and decide to do some more, deeper research on the game. We are still working on a larger, official website, so I'm afraid that for now some detective work might be required. :)

* Due exceptions would include games with a more social focus.

Video from Ken Choi talking about the grind:

http://www.stage6.com/user/ncsofteurope/video/1912899/Aion-DevTalk-10-'The-one-about-asian-grinders'

Thisisgame review:

The testing revealed gameplay up to to level 20. This is about 20 hours of gameplay if you just level. You can't really calculate with just the levels but considering most RvR takes about 150hrs to reach max level, the test revealed about 1/10 of the game.

Aion is aiming towards a more casual audience, there are already 4 known ways of leveling, if you grind, it will be cause you want, if you're confusing grind with time sink, every single MMORPG has time sink, out of all the possibilities in Aion you might choose a time sink you actually enjoy doing, geting softer for you and not giving you the feeling of a work-like game.

The game will have "Legions" yes, however, people who aren't involved in clans will be able to participate and take a piece of the fun cake in pvp battles in the abyss, so it's not as elitist as other games in at least one of the game's faces in pvp.

About gold farmers, can any game advoid them at all without killing the rewarding face of a game? everybody wants to have great items, some people want to feel rewarded once they get them, you could take away the items completely, but then those who are searching for a rewarding game will have a hard time. It's a difficult position, however, Aion might be making a step into the right direction.

a) Lack of interactivity between races market-wise.

b) Top gear obtained through PVP (abyssal gear) Ken choi talks about that in one of his videos.

c) Second best gear, draconic, obtained in a zone which will require a good ammount of organization since there will be continous pvp danger, gold farmers aren't known for that, you know.

I think we can safely assume your fears have already been directed by others, and replied in a similar way, now you can jump in the skeptical wagon, or go wild and get yourself overhyped, but you can't say anymore those are your fears ;)

• daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680

It wont be a grind game anymore then WoW was before they introduced the fat xp bonuses on quests. I dont even worry here.

Every good game will be full of gold farmers. Its up to them how they will handle it. Im sure they learned from L2 past mistakes, personaly i think blocking the Asia IPs would help and I think they are considering on doing that since start on the EU/NA servers.

ALSO you cant compare this to L2. With L2 they had really bad luck before releasing it cause the game sources and alot of stuff was stolen by some hackers and alot of that stuff went on the web.. and made it easy for people to develop bots and easily exploit the system. This wont happen again hopefuly

It wont be uber guild oriented. They already stated the game will have its very casual parts for the common folk.  They will have plenty of solo stuff to do both pve and pvp.

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

I might be wrong but I have heard NCsoft is proactive about banning accounts they suspect are involved with botting, macroing, goldselling. I remember seeing articles about mass bannings.

I don't consider a large investment of time to accomplish goals to be grinding as long as there is some variety between mobs and geography. I actually prefer more experience to be earned from hunting than questing. The journey is what I enjoy so the longer it takes to max out, the better.

I hope solo play is equally rewarding as raid or group play. I don't expect the solo path to be easy though, I want it to be challenging and therefore most content should be designed for small group difficulty. As long as all items in-game are fully tradeable and not artificially restricted to benefit a certain playstyle such as raiding, then soloers will have the alternative to trade legitimately in-game for those items they can't acquire otherwise.

I like an emphasis on crafting, it's been a while since I have seen a true quality crafting game. It is imperative that all crafting ingredients for even the best recipes, can be acquired by soloers, albeit maxed out soloers for obtaining drop or harvested ingredients from the most dangerous mobs and locales. The best crafting ingredients will be horded by raiders if they drop or are harvested from raid mobs or in raid locales, with little chance of trading for them. I know this firsthand from classic EQ after Planes of Power was added, which ruined crafing as a pursuit for soloers and small group oriented players because they added an upper tier of new best crafted items which required ingredients from raid zones and mobs. No one pursues crafting just to make the lower 80% quality items, that would just be a waste of time and effort.

Originally posted by Samuraisword

I might be wrong but I have heard NCsoft is proactive about banning accounts they suspect are involved with botting, macroing, goldselling. I remember seeing articles about mass bannings.
    I don't consider a large investment of time to accomplish goals to be grinding as long as there is some variety between mobs and geography. I actually prefer more experience to be earned from hunting than questing. The journey is what I enjoy so the longer it takes to max out, the better.
    I hope solo play is equally rewarding as raid or group play. I don't expect the solo path to be easy though, I want it to be challenging and therefore most content should be designed for small group difficulty. As long as all items in-game are fully tradeable and not artificially restricted to benefit a certain playstyle such as raiding, then soloers will have the alternative to trade legitimately in-game for those items they can't acquire otherwise.
    I like an emphasis on crafting, it's been a while since I have seen a true quality crafting game. It is imperative that all crafting ingredients for even the best recipes, can be acquired by soloers, albeit maxed out soloers for obtaining drop or harvested ingredients from the most dangerous mobs and locales. The best crafting ingredients will be horded by raiders if they drop or are harvested from raid mobs or in raid locales, with little chance of trading for them. I know this firsthand from classic EQ after Planes of Power was added, which ruined crafing as a pursuit for soloers and small group oriented players because they added an upper tier of new best crafted items which required ingredients from raid zones and mobs. No one pursues crafting just to make the lower 80% quality items, that would just be a waste of time and effort.
    They did things, some massive bans and many botters got banned a pair of times indeed, I know a few, and remember quite well the "can't beat them: Report them" some botters used as motto once they got banned, the main issue was the incredible advantage botters got over non botters on L2, so, added to the "public passivenes" (I say public, cause I have no idea about the details involved in the proccess of banning a bot) of GM's, people got really pissed off, but it was more about the game itself, which made it incredibly easy to bot:

Point and click

Auto attack for fighters

F1, F1 next mob for casters

I can certainly say L2 was a game I understand people would bot at, the pve was utterly boring and tedious, but the endgame and the player interaction was incredibly fun.

The few classes that were actually played better by a player than by a bot were those that required brains, and, how curious, those were the less played ones, and the less botted ones, obviously, thus why I think that the whole botting problem is more about the game and if it really results convenient to play with something limited when adapting to different situations.

So, all this rant to explain why we can't really set a precedent with other games.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by Datcyde

Originally posted by Sovrath

Ide like to see where it says it wont have a grind like lineage II . The only thing I heard on video interviews is that you will have lots of missions which you will get exp from and that from missions alone the game will be soloable and fun for the casual player. This makes me think that the game might  have a huge grind  knowing that Lineage II has a huge grind x 999999 .

What Ephemiro posted.

Also, there is another post by Ayase (NC CM) where he says that the leveling will be slightly longer than WoW's. I don't consider WoW's leveling to be hard.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NumquamNumquam Member Posts: 24

b) Top gear obtained through PVP (abyssal gear) Ken choi talks about that in one of his videos.

I'm leaving WoW simply becuase I think PvP took to much focus by now, making PvE "only" about seein the content. The game at the top of my list is this one, but this information concerns me. Does this mean that gear obtained through endgame "raiding" is not the best gear in the game? Do we have another game on our hands in which PvE-determination will not pay off in the long run?

My biggest fear is that Aion will be to casual and to PvP-oriented. I like PvP, but as a bonus to good PvE experiences (like it was in WoW from the start, maybe just a little bit modified so endgame "raiders" are not that overpowered).

What I'm looking for in a game is:
    • Dedication paying off in the long run
    Upgrades should not be to easy to obtain, and they shouldn't be given to people for free after a certain amount of time. Working for your gear over an amount of time should benefit you and matter more than anything else.
    • PvE-content and a point in building guilds
    It should be required to find together in guild-like groups to see the endgame content. Also, PvE should be the main focus of the game. Abilities and skills should not be changed all the time due to the developers trying to balance PvP better.
    • Not to much hybrid-fuss
    A healer should be a healer and a tank should be a tank. All the hybrid confusion seems to me to make games to advanced for the developers to keep them balanced.

With these things in mind, do you people think that Aion is the game for me?

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061

I share your concerns, nothing that has been published this far has let me to believe otherwise. People tend to focus pre-release PR with facts.

I don't understand why so many people herald Aion as the next big thing. To me, it looks like Lineage with some FPS elements, which amounts to a very monotonous game experience.

• AchronosAchronos Member Posts: 7

FPS element ? What are you smoking ?

Originally posted by Achronos

Shows that concerned people have done a deep research

/sarcasm, etc.

• AyaseAyase Aion Community CoordinatorMember Posts: 118

Originally posted by Numquam

I'm leaving WoW simply becuase I think PvP took to much focus by now, making PvE "only" about seein the content. The game at the top of my list is this one, but this information concerns me. Does this mean that gear obtained through endgame "raiding" is not the best gear in the game? Do we have another game on our hands in which PvE-determination will not pay off in the long run?

"The best" items will be obtainable several ways. Raiding is one of those. You will, however, also be able to get them through crafting, abyssal PvP and various quests. There is space for the individual, even though groups naturally have an advantage. Scroll up a bit and you will see me explaining things a bit more in depth, in a quote by Ephimero.

I must point out, though, that PvP will be of great importance in Aion. Even if one will most likely be able to get to through the levels without engaging other players a single time, we want to gradually introduce the player to PvP (The Abyss being the final destination) since it's an essential part of the experience. But don't think for a second that this renders PvE play useless, or even near. Players participating in PvE will do so not only because it's great fun, but also to support the war effort - for the greater cause. :)

---
    Sebastian Streiffert
    Community Representative - Aion

Follow my twitter! aion_ayase
    * In order to cover my back, things I write are of course subject to change.

• AchronosAchronos Member Posts: 7

Because Moving Pictures Are Better Than Words : http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=g-NrbzobRQE

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061
    Originally posted by Ephimero

/sarcasm, etc.

If I'm not mistaken the PvP will be something like Guildwars with specific twitch elements that only exist in PvP gameplay. I'd call this an FPS element.

Originally posted by Hrothmund

Originally posted by Ephimero

/sarcasm, etc.

If I'm not mistaken the PvP will be something like Guildwars with specific twitch elements that only exist in PvP gameplay. I'd call this an FPS element.

FPS element are archers in AoC, for example. However im interested in seeing what those twich elements that only exist in pvp gameplay are, if you could be a bit more concrete.