Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's your primetime population and amount of PvP now that you have to pay

2»

Comments

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

I hope the gankers will stay.....keeps them from their favorite past time...grey killing on DAOC.

• NetzokoNetzoko Member Posts: 1,271

Originally posted by Kill_trolls

Originally posted by randomt

The problem is that the game's too complicated for most players, so they piss and moan and whine then leave. 

I hate to burst your bubble, but this is not the problem. If i got it right it's this:

The problem is that game is... nowhere actually. It's too complicated for vanilla players, and it's too boring for PvP players. PvP players like strategy, lots of options, creativity, organization etc. In this game you have to be Naval Officer to PvP (means, 1 class), you're restricted to 1 ship type to PvP (SOL), skill sets (something that Guild Wars puts lots of emphasize on) are OK but really don't leave that many options. Overall, the only aspect of creativity is economy. If there was no economy everyone would use same ships etc etc. Since PvPing and creating PvP zones requires grinding (and lots of it), true PvPers dont stay long. I for one don't want to PvE so much to have PvP. A bit of PvE is OK, but risk vs rewards definitely isnt right. BTW, for how much PvPers like to PvE, you can tell by the amount of biatching from PvP community in Guild Wars in the beginning when they were forced to PvE first in order to PvP. Let's just say that it ended up so that you did not have to PvE at all; skill unlocks became much much faster and they even started selling PvP-only packs. I know PotBS needs economy, that's all fine with me, but saying that people while because game is too complicated is simply not true.

Some good points there. However, I disagree that only Naval Officers with SoLs can PvP.

To me, that's like saying only Full Tier 3 Epic WoW characters can PvP, which is untrue.

-------------------------

• TheFirst109TheFirst109 Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Originally posted by Netzoko

Originally posted by Kill_trolls

Originally posted by randomt

The problem is that the game's too complicated for most players, so they piss and moan and whine then leave. 

I hate to burst your bubble, but this is not the problem. If i got it right it's this:

The problem is that game is... nowhere actually. It's too complicated for vanilla players, and it's too boring for PvP players. PvP players like strategy, lots of options, creativity, organization etc. In this game you have to be Naval Officer to PvP (means, 1 class), you're restricted to 1 ship type to PvP (SOL), skill sets (something that Guild Wars puts lots of emphasize on) are OK but really don't leave that many options. Overall, the only aspect of creativity is economy. If there was no economy everyone would use same ships etc etc. Since PvPing and creating PvP zones requires grinding (and lots of it), true PvPers dont stay long. I for one don't want to PvE so much to have PvP. A bit of PvE is OK, but risk vs rewards definitely isnt right. BTW, for how much PvPers like to PvE, you can tell by the amount of biatching from PvP community in Guild Wars in the beginning when they were forced to PvE first in order to PvP. Let's just say that it ended up so that you did not have to PvE at all; skill unlocks became much much faster and they even started selling PvP-only packs. I know PotBS needs economy, that's all fine with me, but saying that people while because game is too complicated is simply not true.

Some good points there. However, I disagree that only Naval Officers with SoLs can PvP.

To me, that's like saying only Full Tier 3 Epic WoW characters can PvP, which is untrue.

Of course that statement would be untrue, a Full Tier 3 Epic WoW character would get f***in roflstomped. WTF is this 2 years ago??

• NetzokoNetzoko Member Posts: 1,271

Sorry, I'm behind the times.

Are they on Tier 15 now?

-------------------------

• bstrippbstripp Member Posts: 241

Yes, there is certainly issues with the balance of PvP to PvE for some players.  However, you do not have to be a NO to PvP.  You do not need to sail a SoL to PvP.  The game has more depth in its combat than just about anything on the market.  Why?  Because position matters due to wind.  It's not the games fault that too many of the folks complaining will only sail downwind trading broadsides until dead.  The people that are winning PvP encounters (ones that are balanced at least) are those that apply some modicum of strategy other than "my build out DPS yours".

I don't think this game is for everyone, due to the balance that you need to take to PvP.  If you want to be engaged you need to either grind for gold, or run some economy.  Frankly, I don't mind the balance.  There are enough games for those that want spawn rinse repeat mechanics.

My original point still stands, the OPs screen shot was not likely at any real prime time.  I've played nearly every day since launch and have yet to see a pop screen that wasn't scattered with 50% light, 40% moderate, 10% heavy at prime time.  The game did seem to shed about 10-15% of the players after the first month renewal (before whocount disappeared), but is not quite at the dire state that the OP suggests.

Will it get there?  That will depend on what the devs do to address some of their problems and what they will do to attract people in the long run.