Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am a Roman, a Patrician Bodyguard. (A day in the life, for new ppl)

The_HulksterThe_Hulkster Member Posts: 16

I start off my day by grabbing my spear(which I handmade) out of my personal hut(which my family/guild built for me) located near Corstopitum, a roman town.  I head down to the local river and begin to fish.  I choose the local river as wandering into the countryside might mean attack from wolves, bandits, and even bears!  Once i've caught my fish(improved my fishing skill), and filled my amphora(made by my potter friend) with water, I head back to my hut, where I have firewood stockpiled and ready from days before.  The fish cooks nicely  on the stove(built by our construction team) once the firewood is lit.

As I wait for my meal to cook, I decide to clean up my hut a bit.  I begin to sort my tools.  Hammers in one basket, spears and bucklers in another, etc.  Oh, I forgot I had these barley seeds in here.  I'll put these in my bag and use them later.

I'm hungry, thirsty, and cold.  So I put on my lightweight leather armour, fur boots, and headcloth.  I don't wear the heavier armour like the guys in the Legion do, its simply against the law to impersonate them(not to mention that stuff can be spendy). The fish should be cooked by now, so its time for breakfast.  Ah, a good quality fish this morning.  I eat it and the protein must have gone right to my head, because I feel smarter(Intuition increase).  After taking a drink of water from my amphora, I now feel fine(and should improve all skills at a better rate compared to being hungry).  Still can't help but notice some kind of stench.  I realize I have not bathed in a while so I head into the main part of town and enter the bathhouse.  Once i've had a nice scrape and dip, I smell and feel much nicer.  Even the local merchants treat me better now that i'm clean.

Remembering the seeds, I decide to go out to the fields and plant the barley seeds.  My other crops, i've been tending for the last 3 days, and are now ready to harvest.  Once i've cut down the barley with a sickle, I drop it off in the kitchen area for the real cooks and bakers to process.  With my chores complete, the day can really begin.

I check the local news and find out that a Barbarian Warband (a player guild) has begun to make a permanent settlement (Warband guildhall) south of Hadrian's wall.  This has struck fear into the hearts of some of my family members, especially the women.  I best be on my way to the family's main village which is an hour's run from here.  I need to get there to protect our settlement(huts, furnaces, forges, crops, ovens, etc.) from wandering smelly barbarians looking to rape and pillage.  I would also like train with some gladiators in our arena when I get there, to keep my skills sharp.  I might encounter trouble on the way, so I equip my spear(yes I can use my spear for fishing AND fighting) and shield.  I'm ready for whatever the day brings me!

(This is just the tip of the iceberg of what you can do in the game.  It is simply my start to the day in Roma Victor.  Each player chooses a different and diverse role in the Community.  I do apologize for the dark pics, but its wintertime in Southeast Caledonia and nights can be long.  I won't reveal the combat or crafting too much, thats up to you to discover for yourself :).  I hope that you get the gist of how the game can be and the possibilities available.)

Comments

• WallanoWallano Member Posts: 104

Sounds good

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Nice post...You make the game sound really good...A game where you can do more than just train :)

• MaurizioMaurizio Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by mike470

Nice post...You make the game sound really good...A game where you can do more than just train :)

Dont count on it too much ;) do some more reading on these forums for more info.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Maurizio

Originally posted by mike470

Dont count on it too much ;) do some more reading on these forums for more info.

I figure the OP is just getting lonely, what with about 20 players total subscribed and playing. So he's just looking to entice more suckers, er...........players into joining him.

• GrimskeggrGrimskeggr Member Posts: 7

So... you like skulls?

Originally posted by Grimskeggr

So... you like skulls?

What makes you ask that?

• Sir-RealSir-Real Member Posts: 27

Ignore Zorwan, he's a regular troller.

What Hulkster (Massala) is saying, is that Roma-Victor is more than just clicking a button - If you make it that. It is a matter of approach. Do you come ingame and want action right away? You'll leave.

Do you come ingame and just relax, make stuff and talk to people? Chances are much higher you'll stay.

Originally posted by Sir-Real

Ignore Zorwan, he's a regular troller.
    What Hulkster (Massala) is saying, is that Roma-Victor is more than just clicking a button - If you make it that. It is a matter of approach. Do you come ingame and want action right away? You'll leave.
    Do you come ingame and just relax, make stuff and talk to people? Chances are much higher you'll stay.

Well, if I ever see someone named Zorwan I'll be sure to ignore him. Honestly, if you want to attempt (as sad an attempt as it was) to insult me, at least spell my name right.

As for the game, stop trying to get people to come in unless you want to tell them the truth.

How many people are really playing? How many things have still not been added?

How much real life money do you have to spend to get anywhere?

How barren and boring is the landscape?

How much wildlife is around?

How is the AI?

How balanced are the Romans and the Barbarians?

How much of the promised content has been added since launch(how many years ago now)?

How much hasn't?

Inquiring minds (such as customers who don't like getting fleeced) want to know.

Edit: By the way, from your own description, people would be better off playing The Sims.

Originally posted by Zorvan
    Well, if I ever see someone named Zorwan I'll be sure to ignore him. Honestly, if you want to attempt (as sad an attempt as it was) to insult me, at least spell my name right.
    My most sincere apologies.

As for the game, stop trying to get people to come in unless you want to tell them the truth.
    I didn't tell people to join the game. I said there's more than one approach to gaming, and the mainstream one doesn't work for RV.

How many people are really playing?
    I'd say at least 30 people log in at least 4 times a week. If you take everyone that still follows it and logs in every now and then, the number is higher.

How many things have still not been added?
    Is the bottle half-full or half-empty?

It costs 10£ to buy this game. You don't need more. You can spend as much as you want, but you can do everything just fine without spending a penny more than the initial price.

You tell me.

This varies, but in general there are 2 wolves, a bear and 5 bandits per board.

How is the AI?
    Depends what you want it to do. You can't kite NPCs because their aggro range changes, they can't be target-locked either. They do lack collision.

Not really well, the ratio is about 2:1 or even 3:1 at the moment. That makes for rather strange combat situations, but apart from that, the effect is minimal: Barbarians aren't constantly camped and locked in their houses, there are raids every now and then, but they're almost never against Erring, the starter town.

How much of the promised content has been added since launch(how many years ago now)?
    Again, is the bottle half-full, or half-empty?

Edit: By the way, from your own description, people would be better off playing The Sims.
    If that's what they want, then they're free to do so. Pity that game is almost 100% singleplayer. It also doesn't have any politics or combat or real crafting. I also don't like the relations system, seems a bit artificial?

Originally posted by Sir-Real

Originally posted by Zorvan

My most sincere apologies.

I didn't tell people to join the game. I said there's more than one approach to gaming, and the mainstream one doesn't work for RV.
    How many people are really playing?

I'd say at least 30 people log in at least 4 times a week. If you take everyone that still follows it and logs in every now and then, the number is higher.
    How many things have still not been added?

Is the bottle half-full or half-empty?

It costs 10£ to buy this game. You don't need more. You can spend as much as you want, but you can do everything just fine without spending a penny more than the initial price.

You tell me.

This varies, but in general there are 2 wolves, a bear and 5 bandits per board.
    How is the AI?

Depends what you want it to do. You can't kite NPCs because their aggro range changes, they can't be target-locked either. They do lack collision.

Not really well, the ratio is about 2:1 or even 3:1 at the moment. That makes for rather strange combat situations, but apart from that, the effect is minimal: Barbarians aren't constantly camped and locked in their houses, there are raids every now and then, but they're almost never against Erring, the starter town.

Again, is the bottle half-full, or half-empty?

If that's what they want, then they're free to do so. Pity that game is almost 100% singleplayer. It also doesn't have any politics or combat or real crafting. I also don't like the relations system, seems a bit artificial?

The devs haven't done half the things they said they would as far as game design and content goes. That's not a "glass half empty or half full" scenario, that's a shitty company.

So it's an mmorpg with 30 people playing? rofl

The factions are extremely unbalanced and the mobs consist of wolves, bears, and bandits, none of which decided to be around for that screenshot, which looks pretty barren and empty. We won't even bother discussing the graphics, which appear to be perfect for a Quake-based game circa 1999.

Last time I checked, unless you grind your ass off, it takes real money to buy the ingame money to afford crap. People were paying $300 for a friggen hut. Somehow, I doubt that's changed or there might be more than 30 people playing.

Also, last time I checked, the devs were some of the slowest, not to mention most arrogant, people around. Nothing changed to improve things for the players unless it fit the devs ideals.

Exactly how many people are going to be willing to grind their butts off to avoid paying real life money, and manage to be entertained by such a sweeping menagerie as bears, wolves, and bandits?

Oh, yeah. 30.

The production power of the guilds has improved tremendously. Tools now cost about 150 ses (compare to 600), the most expensive ones go for about 600 (compare to 2300). Huts/Tents are still expensive if you want to buy them (about 10k = 20£, I don't know where you got your 300$, that's 150k ses ingame, most guilds can't even cough up that much money). But you can also just join a guild and get everything for free. If you want to be a weaponsmith, then your guild will give you access to huts/tents/workshops so you can add to their projects. After a while (= when they know they can fully trust you) you'll probably even get your own tent.

Playing with only 30 players has it's pro's and it's cons. You know everyone, you get a real community. I have been in plenty of games with thousands and thousands of players (Silkroad, Runescape, Knights Online, RoE, ...) and I basically played them alone. After a while you find a couple friends, but then eventually they just leave the game forever. I joined a guild, but those guilds were big (like, hundred+ players) so they were usually too busy to help me too.

Of course, with only 30 players, you're often playing with only 0-7 people in your guild, because of timezones. Which does suck.

I normally would've disagreed with the company being shitty, they did listen and updates were brought out every now and then... the keyword there is "did". They've been really shitty at customer service lately. (Basically because their main dev just got a new baby, lol)

About the content, I'm not too sure about that. On one side they have implemented a lot, but on the other side their mainpage is full of lies. I once sent the devs a pm pointing out every single fault in their sotw. I didn't get any reply.

"Seriously - I haven't read it for a while and from what I recall it's a pretty fair assessment of the range of activities presented in RV and is certainly a far cry from the adver-nonsense that all marketing usually departments come up with." - KFR

• KemarikKemarik Member Posts: 122

30 players?!  Who dug up that number?  I am often on Consensio's teamspeak and the 18th's Legion Ventrillo servers at the same time.  Just our two guilds combined can sometimes have 25 to 30 people online at the same time (especially weekends) and that does not include alts.  Does this mean nobody from any of the other 6 or 7 guilds plus the scattering of unguilded players logs in at all?  I think not.

The virtual world of Roma Victor is large and people from time zones around the world play it.  Settlements are widely scattered now.  Unless you are a developer with a god's eye view, you cannot possibly be everywhere at once 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to make any kind of accurate estimate of the player population.  I was very skeptical, but the developers did post to tell us that the game had reached a milestone- that of 1,000 unique characters having logged in at least once during one month.  I'm betting at least half of those logins were simply remade characters but I have no way of knowing. 

Yes, the population is surely low, extremely low for an MMORPG, but 30?  Definately not true.

OK, pardon my intrusion.  Go back to bashing a game that has kept my interest and has been a lot of fun for me now since July, 2006.