Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you return to UO if......

Comments

• GuitanoGuitano Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by uoplayer123

Originally posted by Guitano

I would return to pay to play UO if there was a classic Shard made. It would have to be somthing from the first three years of UO, in that time frame.  In classic UO I had two accounts, 1st my crafting / farming account and my 2nd account was my PvP account. I would do the same again.

I dont think EA games could give two craps about the classic players. If EA did care we would have already had a classic shard. EA hates classic UO players and besides there are free to play player run classic UO shards that have done what EA dont have the balls to do.

They recently had a Townhall meeting , A players asked about a Free to play basic shard , they not only , besides mostly dodging the question they stated there wasnt a market for it or it would cost to much , this post serves that answer well..

One good thing that EA has been good at is BSing people. It would not cost a dime to throw up a classic uo shard. If dorks from home can make and manage a classic shard from home, so could EA games. The reason why they wont do it is that people will all go to the classic shard, leaving the fked up EA shards a ghost town. They would never mix a classic shard with EA shards on the same shard list. Im just glad I got to play in the classic UO days when the game was ( Ultima Online ). There are af ew games that will be out somtime, still in the works like Darkfall Online, Earthrise Online and so on that can match what classic UO was.

It wont be to far away that todays UO is dead, ill be there to rub it in to EA games.

• barbarrasbarbarras Member Posts: 8

I agree with the others. UO is so far gone that I would never have any faith in EA to fix it right.  In fact, my experience with UO has resulted in me not only disliking UO, but despising EA as a company and brand and not wanting to buy any other EA games ever.

The gameplay is ruined beyond recovery and other shit like ridable dogs, elves, and ninjas just pisses gamers off.

What started out as a very cool world is now nothing more than crappy video game.

• HapGilmore20HapGilmore20 Member Posts: 5

UO was the best game pre trammel.  I could go on forever talking about the good days.  Even if they started a classic shard it still wouldn't work.  What made this game great was having role players and pvpers all in one shard.  A classic shard would only probably bring back pvpers.

Classic UO taught you Fear, Responsibilities, Teamwork, Friendship, tons more.  

FEAR: Like when you leave town, better make sure your "all names" is on to see upcoming players coming at you.

Responsibilities:  Like  crap I just died with my house key and rune.  I better get back to my house before its completely looted.

Teamwork:  Like ill just keep paralyzing this guy while my buddy keeps doing Explosion/ E-bolt combo.

Friendship:  My guild had some of the most devoted players anyone could ask for.  We had house placing down to a science.

We played on Great Lakes, Guild was WiseGuys [WG]   My main character was Happy Gilmore.   I think dates was like 1998-2002.    All I remember is UO was around for about  a year before I started playing. 

What made the game great was:

-Limited housing spots(It made getting your first house such a rewarding challenge.)

-GM skills (better than leveling characters in my opinion)

-Huge world, many towns, dungeons.

-Murder system was great.   You killed someone you get to loot them, but you get punished.

Everything about the game was so masterful thought out, until some douche bag came up with trammel then went down hill from there,  And took away the fear factor, virtual responsibility, and a world where you can be good or bad.

I miss the old UO.  Memories, Oh the memories.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

UO could have brought me back with UO2 or with Ultima World's Online.  The last time I resubbed to UO the gameworld was just a mess.  Now I can only hope that the BioWare mmo will be the next spiritual successor to UO :)

• uoplayer123uoplayer123 Member Posts: 225

Wow 840+ views and 27 votes on the poll. Come on now you can do better..

Thank you  , who all replied..

It does not matter what anyone does. Thousands of classic UO fans over the years have done many polls and sent them in to EA games and look, no classic shard. EA dont want a classic shard since it will destroy their pile of crap they call UO. Classic UO is gone for good!

• JadarJadar Member Posts: 300

I cant say much about the changes that have taken place, I left when EQ went live. Subsequently, all my stuff got deleted, keep, houses, my 3 deliciously evil dread's and more money and items than any single account had a right to own. I've been back a few times, things have changed so much that I hardly recognize the place. I suppose if I at least had my characters and money back I would give it more of a try, I have no interest in starting over from scratch. What I'd really prefer though, is a modern skill based game with a similar* pvp rule set to the original UO. If there is anything like that in the works, I'm unaware it.

* I'm not sure how similar though, the total anarchy of UO's first year was something that is impossible to relate to someone that didn't experience it. I don't think a new game would intentionally implement anything that brutal (and ultimately unfair).

Originally posted by Jadar

I cant say much about the changes that have taken place, I left when EQ went live. Subsequently, all my stuff got deleted, keep, houses, my 3 deliciously evil dread's and more money and items than any single account had a right to own. I've been back a few times, things have changed so much that I hardly recognize the place. I suppose if I at least had my characters and money back I would give it more of a try, I have no interest in starting over from scratch. What I'd really prefer though, is a modern skill based game with a similar* pvp rule set to the original UO. If there is anything like that in the works, I'm unaware it.

* I'm not sure how similar though, the total anarchy of UO's first year was something that is impossible to relate to someone that didn't experience it. I don't think a new game would intentionally implement anything that brutal (and ultimately unfair).

Darkfall online is about as close as you will get to classic UO. Darkfall has been in the makes now for many years. Some say that the beta is close, who knows? I also lost all faith that Darkfall will be released. I think that another game called Earthrise is skill based, also being made atm. EA games can choke on a long steamer for all I care. I got to thinking, even if they made a classic shard...... FK them. I would never give EA games a dime, they can blow it out their greedy, selfish arses. When UO fails, I will send EA games a lol letter from the heart, I might even send them a pic of my arse.

What about if the went not so item based and re invented the thief class

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

the best game of all time is UO T2A to pub 16.. not just best mmo.. best game ever made...

i would play immediatly if they brought i back

helli would play with all the new shit trammel/powerscroll free

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• bachanambachanam Member Posts: 335

I would come back to UO if it were Pre-Expansion 1997. Specifically I enjoyed the open world and the free actions, there was nothing like taking a nap from blacksmithing for a company and being attacked by a wandering gazer just to be jumped by a pk. The fact that pk's could enter town as red murderers having killed a blue player, and just decimate everyone with lightning bolts, not just the target players or unsuspecting players would die, they could kill guards and vendors alike, a true legitimate system where fair is only your unability whether lack of time to raise what i heard at the time was 3 months to gm magery and only a few people had done it across the boards if i remember right, or the lack of ambition to place a house in a small grove in the middle of some forest you're either familiar with or randomly found on an island, i could go on and on about the original UO, the fact remains the release version of uo excluding bugs and graphics, to this day would remain king among pawns and guaranteed the much popular 62% subscription crowning king World of Warcraft would have a much more open system to model a successful and proven predecessor.  .. oh! before i forget, guilds before guildstones... amazing, incredible, the true sense of player involvement, a group of people would start wearing clothing dyed the same to signify a guild or wear a certain type of clothing with colors etc. and it worked great aswell as keeping the realistic sense in the game, chipping in for a house usually an L-shape or some other medium size home, and practicing and raising skills with eachother outside, hearing news froim a neighboring guild's runner about player and gm tournaments or events to attend or participate it, or hearing about other guild's demise, thieves would go grey after stealing from a blue and their status would go dishonorable if they were neutral and they could be attacked by anyone without fear that person losing their blue status or being attacked by guards, pk's would go red from attacking a blue and immediable their status would become murderer and they would also be free to be attacked at all times but the difference was reds were targetted by blue npc's, especially guards in the area, also guards didnt teleport in, they had their little areas to patrol and do their basic job and if they died.. well.. =) if you couldn't tell by now I was the guy stalking some random guy in the woods for 15-30mins before i jump out, kill him, loot him, and go find another victim, we've all got stories..

I voted pre-aos/blahblahwhatever pre-tram/fel PRE TRAM/FEL OMG OMG OMG

"Sometimes, things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are basically good. Honor, courage, virtue mean everything. Power and money, money and power mean nothing. Good always triumphs over evil. Love, True Love Never Dies."
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

• 7Fold7Fold Member Posts: 318

I would have went back to play a classic UO up till about 2004. After that I quit  thinking about it. After seeing how much they destroyed the game theres no way in hell I would go back now.

The people left playing the game are only worried about item collecting, not the interaction of players and a world in turmoil. If you look at the original box art on UO it doesnt paint a picture of bank sitters and whinners although thats whats left playing the game. 

Up  till about 2004 I would have played even with the  96 graphics., now though I would have to have a total revamp, not that cheap crap they through on it with KR.

As of now UO, is being held together by the few people who whined the hardest to get the PVP took out of UO, now they have a ghosttown literally so let them have it. Its so funny how everyone kept on preaching on how PVP servers would not work, even though theres probably as many PVP only WOW servers as they are normal servers in which has 10,000,000 people playing compared to UO's -25000 base.

Now on the other hand if they made a brand spanking new UO from the ground up and let Lord British and star Long make it, I would be there in a heartbeat. I dont have no faith in EA's handling of UO. They have been throwing just enough bones to there customer base to keep them hungry enough to keep playing. When they loose enough people it will be over. I dont see how anyone new would buy that game compared to the newer games out.

Anyways its always good to hear people though who share my views on how wonderful UO actually was at one time.

• 7Fold7Fold Member Posts: 318

What about if the went not so item based and re invented the thief class

They would have to go back to the original thief, that could steal regs while hidden and could pvp as well :)

UO use to be so wide open. You could do anything, it was like the old west. Now its Sims Online

• mercilusmercilus Member CommonPosts: 11

I have so many fond memories of this game it makes any game I play now days suck.  It hast stuck to me and nothing can really live up to it.

I played in the closed beta, was a Counselor (Blue Robed GMs) and played since day one for about three years. 

I have no idea what it is like now, but if its not complete anarchy and open ended I wouldnt like it the same.

There was nothing better than the fear, anger and pure enjoyment you would get out of the game.  No other game brought out these emotions like UO. 

I quit to play EverQuest, enjoyed it for the Graphics(Good at the time).  Realised how dull everquest was but all my items/characters were gone in UO so I quit games entirely.

Time passes on, and I play new games.. Anarchy Online, Acherons Calls, Dark Age of Camelot and NONE have been able to compare.  Closest one has been Star Wars Galaxies, but even that went to hell.

I don't think developers really understand how to make a memorable game anymore.  Sure players will complain and whine about an open ended pvp system game.  But in the end they play it, and it goes away and they realise... wow that was actually a lot of fun! 

I feel like crying right now, I can't wait until another MMO does it right again.

Is it just me or to MMO's piss you all off right now too. 

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

I would definately try playing again if it was pre-pub 16. All my reasons have been given by others already so I won't repeat it

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

What about favorite player class , whats yours?

Mine was thief or assassi type class , of older days of course..

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

This is a serious post with hopes of either a EA Rep will see this or I will sent this to a EA rep , so please be serious and explain why or why you wouldnt come back....Please I ask you if you were a past player to pass this along.
    My general idea for reasons players dont like UO is...

1.Graphics ( outdated)
    2.To items based
    3. lack of classic shard ( time frame  pre Age of Shadows)

Any thoughts??

You also can go here and send your input :
    http://www.uoherald.com/feedback/index.php

you mention it in your post; but, there's not an option in your poll..

GRAPHICS

3-D graphics and modern movement~!!

'nuff said.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• Thomas2641Thomas2641 Member Posts: 143

Give me pre-trallem, and I will be there!

• lapommelapomme Member Posts: 270

You forgot to put "a larger population" on the list of choices.  That would be mine.  I would return to it in a heart beat if loads of people went back to UO.  It's still better than all the crap out today.

Honestly, I don't understand why people quit UO because of the addition of Trimmel.  Not everybody liked the psycho PvP.  I mean, did it honestly ruin your UO THAT much just because a safe world was created?  There was still a shit load in the PvP world also.  There wasn't a choice.  More people wanted a safe world because they were sick of insane PvP.  I could live with Pre-Trammel, so I wasn't one of those people.  If every server kept it the way it was, I believe the only people who would be playing it are the small amount of people who loved the craziness.

This is just the thoughts from someone who used to think Pre-Trammel was the best choice, but now I can understand why they added it.

But one thing is for sure, they probably should have left at least 1 server up without the safe world so you people could play on it.

• 23972397 Member Posts: 1
    I agree with the previous poster that if UO still had a large population, I wouldn’t hesitate to come back. I haven’t played “regularly” in over 4 years, but I first began playing about 9 years ago. While I can’t say much good about its current state, I haven’t found a game yet that even compares to UO at its peak. 

I have to disagree with a lot of you by saying that I don’t think Trammel was a negative change to the game. I remember my older brother being absolutely disgusted when it was created (he quit shortly after)… but I was a giddy little girl when I realized if I moved all of my characters to Trammel I wouldn’t be crushed by trolls at Vesper bank or ganked when I stepped outside town. That sounds horribly lame, but personally I welcomed the option of venturing to Fel when I felt brave or staying in Trammel to be a perfectly content newbie. I guess my point is that UO appealed to a variety of gamers and so many people played in both Fel and Tram that I don’t think the culture suffered in either at the time. (I have found Fel almost completely empty recently, however.) 

Along with the diversity of players, another thing that appealed to me was the freedom (a number of you have pointed that out). In other games I feel like the environment controls me completely… in UO you can alter, customize, deface many things!! I can make changes (simply by placing something somewhere or many somethings somewhere in an obnoxious way) and everyone has to see them! :P   

I didn’t feel like the game was really going downhill until the Age of Shadows expansion… and it breaks my heart to see the game nowadays. I want a pre-AOS shard more than I want a pre-trammel shard. I don’t want a new game or new graphics. I prefer the 2D look. I know a lot of people who, like me, have stayed loyal to UO despite all the stupid new items, armor, etc… but it’s really pathetic. We are hoping for a revival, more so for a revert that probably won’t ever come. 
  • lapommelapomme Member Posts: 270

And that's why, I believe, most MMO's today don't even compete with the old ones.  They're missing freedom.

I see a lot of blogs and threads that ask, "Why aren't MMO's good anymore?"  And I'm pretty sure that's the reason.  There are no more sandboxes to shape the world to the players' liking.

That's it!  There's nothing else.  Just missing freedom.  For example, I can come up with this kind of story on UO:  Me and my buddy just bought our first house by combining our money.  Unfortunately, the spot we found was in Tram so we had to be very careful.  I remember setting some stuff up in the house when suddenly we saw a red name on the corner of our screen and the person was closing in on us fast.  We decided to run upstairs and lock ourselves on the top floor.  As soon as we locked it, the man reached the door and just sat there....for a long time.  So we just camped around and decorated the second floor instead while he waited on us! =P

And this is a story in an MMO today.  (Use WoW because it's probably the most bland) :  I pwned 3 Night Elves with my 24 Hunter when they were grinding LOLOLOLOL....

Seriously, freedom was what kept the game from getting old.  Freedom gave us hundreds of stories and every day gaming was a new experience.  That's what the damn games today are missing.  Sigh....sadly developers today are fools and will never realize this.

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

Pre-Trammel for me.

Elves and Samurai in Brittania?????

Not sure if was mentioned here yet but a while ago the UO/ EA dev's stated the biggest problem was what time period would make most old school fans happy:

Pre Age of Shadows ( UO turned items based and insurance was added) , Pre pub 16..Ect, Ect..

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

Like someone else said.  I only want a pre-AoS game.  I thought the game was fine up until AoS.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801

I agree that if UO had allot of people playing, it would still be better than any other current game being offered up on a satin pillow.

But I also think that pre-AoS was much much better. And Pre Trammel was much better than even that because of the life and emotions, the dedications and alliances, the realism in that  political regard, that it gave the game. But that's not for everyone, of course I understand that.

I have gone back to UO after several times quiting. I'm still playing it, because it's simply the only fantasy based sandbox/worldly game, even in the sad state it's in. I just can't stand to be herded around by a ring in my nose like these other games do to you.

Once upon a time....