Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me with a Laptop please

SBC3SBC3 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 372

I am going o need a laptop for school.  I am going to collage for web design and I need to invest into a laptop.  What laptop would be best for gaming & Business?  I am willing to pay up to $700.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Just about any laptop currently being sold today will handle your "business" needs, if by that you mean can it run Microsoft Office and surf the internet.

Its the gaming part that's going to leave you a bit out of luck.  Unless you are planning on sticking with older games, you won't find a laptop that can really handle the next generation of games at your $700.00 price point.

These machines from Gateway really fit the bill,

www.gateway.com/programs/pseries/index.php

and Best Buy sells basically the lowest price one with a smaller processor for as little as $1245.00 when on sale, $1699.00 being the "regular" price.

You might find some decent gaming boxes for around a grand, but much lower than this and they just won't have the graphics you need.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SBC3SBC3 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 372

Thanks for the post.  If you could do you know if any of these laptop specs would be good?  For example im not talking about playing Call of duty 4 or anything at top graphics.  Im talking about games like battle field 2 ect.  Would these specs be good.  Im not sure about laptop G-Cards. 

For example is the ATI RADEON X1200 graphics with 128MB-319MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory; S-video TV-out, a good card for gaming?

Here is the specs to a laptop i was thinking of getting:

Product Features

• AMD Turion™ 64 X2 mobile technology TL-58* for AMD dual-core technology in a thin-and-light design; HyperTransport™ and AMD PowerNow!™ technologies and improved security with Enhanced Virus Protection**
    • 2GB DDR2 SDRAM for multitasking power
    • Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible media
    • AMD dual-core technology enables you to work or play with multiple programs without impacting performance; AMD64 technology provides simultaneous support for 32-bit and 64-bit computing
    • 15.4" WXGA LCD widescreen display with CrystalBrite technology and 1280 x 800 resolution
    • 160GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
    • ATI RADEON X1250 graphics with up to 896MB HyperMemory (total of local and shared system memory used by GPU); DirectX 9 support; S-video TV-out
    • Built-in Crystal Eye Web cam and microphone make it easy to chat with and send video mail to family and friends
    • 5-in-1 media card reader supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and xD-Picture Card
    • IEEE 1394 (FireWire) interface and 4 high-speed USB 2.0 ports for fast digital video, audio and data transfer
    • Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g); 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector; V.92 high-speed modem
    • Weighs 6.4 lbs. and measures just 1.7" thin for portable power; lithium-ion battery and AC adapter
    • Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition operating system preinstalled; software package included with Acer GridVista, CyberLink PowerDVD, NTI

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Buy a Tablet PC.  I highly recommend buying from Eritech on EBay.  I rescently bought a Toshiba Protege M200 for $480 from them.  It came in really good condition and is capable of doing all I would need a laptop to do.  Primarily takes notes, and most importantly I can draw directly on the screen for graphics programs.  However, it isn't a gaming machine and frankly you shouldn't use your laptop as such.

• SBC3SBC3 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 372

thanks for teh post but i am asking for a Gameing/Business Laptop...  Also i do not buy on E-bay