Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

free trial review...

124»

Comments

• rejadrejad Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by Obraik

Originally posted by salvaje

They are ALL about, ultimately, the brainless killing of the million HP "Foozle".  ALL of the heroics end up in that point.
    Stupid, not engaging at all, non immersive, and not at all Star Wars.
    Basically instances like this represent the lowest common denominator of noobdev 101 training  in the post WOW world.
    Once again, I apply the ultimate word to the devtard efforts:  F A I L.

You're showing how out of touch you are with the game.  All instances are more then just "kill and win", if you go in with the idea of just killing everything you WILL fail the instances.  With some you need to guard and protect other NPCs, others you'll need specific weapon damage types and others you'll need to keep an eye on what the NPCs are doing to prevent being effected by whatever they're trying to do.  Of course, yes, you will be killing NPCs at the end of the day just like in any other game when you break it down into the basic points.

Yeah, like in WoW.  Only you get it without the bugs and a lot more of it.  They're not worth the time the devs spend on them.  Several months just to make one that gets conquered in a weekend?  When they could be making an underworld system or expanding expertise options or any number of things that could provide content that is actually worth being reused. 

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by rejad

They are ALL about, ultimately, the brainless killing of the million HP "Foozle".  ALL of the heroics end up in that point.
    Basically instances like this represent the lowest common denominator of noobdev 101 training  in the post WOW world.
    Once again, I apply the ultimate word to the devtard efforts:  F A I L.

You're showing how out of touch you are with the game.  All instances are more then just "kill and win", if you go in with the idea of just killing everything you WILL fail the instances.  With some you need to guard and protect other NPCs, others you'll need specific weapon damage types and others you'll need to keep an eye on what the NPCs are doing to prevent being effected by whatever they're trying to do.  Of course, yes, you will be killing NPCs at the end of the day just like in any other game when you break it down into the basic points.

Yeah, like in WoW.  Only you get it without the bugs and a lot more of it.  They're not worth the time the devs spend on them.  Several months just to make one that gets conquered in a weekend?  When they could be making an underworld system or expanding expertise options or any number of things that could provide content that is actually worth being reused. 

Having done most of them over 30 times each now (some even more), I can assure you that they're not bugged ;)  As for being conquered in a weekend, sure, but that's by the top-end guilds/players that know their professions and how to work well together.   

They are ALL about, ultimately, the brainless killing of the million HP "Foozle". ALL of the heroics end up in that point.
    Basically instances like this represent the lowest common denominator of noobdev 101 training in the post WOW world.
    Once again, I apply the ultimate word to the devtard efforts: F A I L.

You're showing how out of touch you are with the game. All instances are more then just "kill and win", if you go in with the idea of just killing everything you WILL fail the instances. With some you need to guard and protect other NPCs, others you'll need specific weapon damage types and others you'll need to keep an eye on what the NPCs are doing to prevent being effected by whatever they're trying to do. Of course, yes, you will be killing NPCs at the end of the day just like in any other game when you break it down into the basic points.

Yeah, like in WoW. Only you get it without the bugs and a lot more of it. They're not worth the time the devs spend on them. Several months just to make one that gets conquered in a weekend? When they could be making an underworld system or expanding expertise options or any number of things that could provide content that is actually worth being reused.

Having done most of them over 30 times each now (some even more), I can assure you that they're not bugged ;) As for being conquered in a weekend, sure, but that's by the top-end guilds/players that know their professions and how to work well together.

30 times each?!? Wow, I guess you are indeed the target audience of the NGE. That so little could provide so much entertainment. But can you not at least acknowledge that it would be infinately better to have more character customization, more community tools and systems to encourage interaction, and meta-games that allow us to shape and make a difference in the game world? Or would you rather settle for what amounts to "kick the can?"

And there are bugs in those. I hit a couple myself back when they came out. And I read about the bugs all the time. Consider yourself lucky I suppose that you haven't experienced them. Others certainly have.

They are ALL about, ultimately, the brainless killing of the million HP "Foozle". ALL of the heroics end up in that point.

Basically instances like this represent the lowest common denominator of noobdev 101 training in the post WOW world.

You're showing how out of touch you are with the game. All instances are more then just "kill and win", if you go in with the idea of just killing everything you WILL fail the instances. With some you need to guard and protect other NPCs, others you'll need specific weapon damage types and others you'll need to keep an eye on what the NPCs are doing to prevent being effected by whatever they're trying to do. Of course, yes, you will be killing NPCs at the end of the day just like in any other game when you break it down into the basic points.

Yeah, like in WoW. Only you get it without the bugs and a lot more of it. They're not worth the time the devs spend on them. Several months just to make one that gets conquered in a weekend? When they could be making an underworld system or expanding expertise options or any number of things that could provide content that is actually worth being reused.

Having done most of them over 30 times each now (some even more), I can assure you that they're not bugged ;) As for being conquered in a weekend, sure, but that's by the top-end guilds/players that know their professions and how to work well together.

30 times each?!? Wow, I guess you are indeed the target audience of the NGE. That so little could provide so much entertainment. But can you not at least acknowledge that it would be infinately better to have more character customization, more community tools and systems to encourage interaction, and meta-games that allow us to shape and make a difference in the game world? Or would you rather settle for what amounts to "kick the can?"

And there are bugs in those. I hit a couple myself back when they came out. And I read about the bugs all the time. Consider yourself lucky I suppose that you haven't experienced them. Others certainly have.

I got all the stuff I needed from within the first 10 times of doing them.  However, with guildmates and returning players needing to do them stopping at when I got everything I needed would have been selfish so I've been doing them as needed to help out others.  Repeating them isn't much of an issue due to the challenge of them - challenge = fun.

I see many people claim there are bugs within the instances but most times it's not a bug, the group is just doing something wrong.  eg. people complaining they're being hit for 15k damage and claiming it a bug or that their group members are being locked behind force walls.  These aren't bugs but their group missing a clue to the puzzle or lack of group co-ordernation.

More customisation options are always good, but there needs to be content additions in-between those as well.  The first round of recent character customisation was the addition of Expertise for all professions and then the addition of Beast Master.  However, everyone had all these new toys but nothing to use them on and people were starting to get bored. The Heroics (and Collections) has given everyone something challenging to use all those new skills on, as well as serving as a reason for people to interact with each other. 

I got all the stuff I needed from within the first 10 times of doing them.  However, with guildmates and returning players needing to do them stopping at when I got everything I needed would have been selfish so I've been doing them as needed to help out others.  Repeating them isn't much of an issue due to the challenge of them - challenge = fun.

I see many people claim there are bugs within the instances but most times it's not a bug, the group is just doing something wrong.  eg. people complaining they're being hit for 15k damage and claiming it a bug or that their group members are being locked behind force walls.  These aren't bugs but their group missing a clue to the puzzle or lack of group co-ordernation.

More customisation options are always good, but there needs to be content additions in-between those as well.  The first round of recent character customisation was the addition of Expertise for all professions and then the addition of Beast Master.  However, everyone had all these new toys but nothing to use them on and people were starting to get bored. The Heroics (and Collections) has given everyone something challenging to use all those new skills on, as well as serving as a reason for people to interact with each other. 

While I would applaud you being willing to trudge through something for the billionth time to help guildies, at the same time I myself would be stabbing myself in the eyeballs out of the sheer monotomy of it. 

And I heartily dissagree.  Give us content tools, not rail-roaded crappy storlines nobody cares about in scripted events that become stale after doing them five times, and we'd make our own fun.  I'm not five years old and this isn't Elmo.  I was perfectly happy just PvP'ing for quite some time.  However it got stale due to lack of options, lack of any real gains or losses, and a lack of a sense of acomplishment.  Create systems that give us these things and they can then waste all the time they want to on these stupid instances.

While I would applaud you being willing to trudge through something for the billionth time to help guildies, at the same time I myself would be stabbing myself in the eyeballs out of the sheer monotomy of it. 

And I heartily dissagree.  Give us content tools, not rail-roaded crappy storlines nobody cares about in scripted events that become stale after doing them five times, and we'd make our own fun.  I'm not five years old and this isn't Elmo.  I was perfectly happy just PvP'ing for quite some time.  However it got stale due to lack of options, lack of any real gains or losses, and a lack of a sense of acomplishment.  Create systems that give us these things and they can then waste all the time they want to on these stupid instances.

The group you're with also dictates the "fun value" of such things.  Luckily, the people I do these with are great people and are a source of entertainment just on their own (most of them anyway) :D  The fact that they get people together and having fun as a group makes them a great addition to the game in my book.

If scripted events aren't for you then there's always the recent Storyteller system you can use to create your own content for yourself and guild/friends. 

The group you're with also dictates the "fun value" of such things.  Luckily, the people I do these with are great people and are a source of entertainment just on their own (most of them anyway) :D  The fact that they get people together and having fun as a group makes them a great addition to the game in my book.

If scripted events aren't for you then there's always the recent Storyteller system you can use to create your own content for yourself and guild/friends. 

Well this has boiled down to a matter of personal opinion.  Also we're off topic and the thread looks dead otherwise.  I guess we should just end this here. 

• MikeMBMikeMB Member Posts: 272

Ummmm you have the content tools in the game via the storyteller system. Here's the thing tho, they really can't give Players things that the GM's or Dev's can use to make in game storylines. Believe me you'd have a ton of people finding ways to grief via a system like that. Not only that, but speaking as a Role Player who 'has' gotten events going on both SWG and UO, you still get the grief kiddies showing up and doing anything they can to ruin the event.

Not only that, the 'core' of almost every RPG be it a Pen and Paper, CRPG, MMO, is getting a group to go face some big bad Monster/NPC/Whatever at the end of a Dungeon. Granted some people do put more of a storyline or what not into things like that, or change it around a bit. Still the Dungeon Crawl/Kill a big bad boss monster for loot has been and still is one of the core things that drives RPG's.

And oh if you can't Role Play without the 32+ Profession System, well you really need to get a little better at RP. Granted Godmoding and the like isn't cool in anyway. But MMO Role Players have been coming up with their own ideas for how to do things in game for years now.

Originally posted by MikeMB

Ummmm you have the content tools in the game via the storyteller system. Here's the thing tho, they really can't give Players things that the GM's or Dev's can use to make in game storylines. Believe me you'd have a ton of people finding ways to grief via a system like that. Not only that, but speaking as a Role Player who 'has' gotten events going on both SWG and UO, you still get the grief kiddies showing up and doing anything they can to ruin the event.

Not only that, the 'core' of almost every RPG be it a Pen and Paper, CRPG, MMO, is getting a group to go face some big bad Monster/NPC/Whatever at the end of a Dungeon. Granted some people do put more of a storyline or what not into things like that, or change it around a bit. Still the Dungeon Crawl/Kill a big bad boss monster for loot has been and still is one of the core things that drives RPG's.

And oh if you can't Role Play without the 32+ Profession System, well you really need to get a little better at RP. Granted Godmoding and the like isn't cool in anyway. But MMO Role Players have been coming up with their own ideas for how to do things in game for years now.

Congradulations on completely missing the point and turning the whole thing into an unrelated pet peeve rant.  And for the record I'm not a "godmodding" PvP kiddie, please do realize that I spent most of the preCU as an Entertainer.

If I want RP I will run a Dungeon and Dragons game or a D20 Star Wars.  Don't talk to me about RP because I was talking about GAMEPLAY.  If RP was all I cared about then I wouldn't have said anything at all and would be happily logged into an active account playing right now.