Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

free trial review...

Comments

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Suvroc
    Honestly, I don't like using pets in an MMO, but I did love the taming part of Creature Handler. It complimented my enjoyment of exploration. Being out in the wilderness looking for baby animals to tame was pretty cool and really fit my playstyle.
    And I think that's why BM doesn't work for a lot of people. I remember seeing a poll here on MMORPG about playstyles and exploration was either in first or second place of preference. Creature Handler just worked well with that.

When I played back in Oct-Dec on 2 accounts with the vet trial, it was very rare to see someone with BM pets, I've been told that the reason it's not very popular was that it's expensive to produce, very time consuming and leveling the pet eats up time as well. I at first had some interest in BM, speced a few points into BM on my officer and was disappointed that I couldn't tame wild animals and buying a premade pet was out of the question with the amount of credit I had (15 mil 3 years ago was alot, but now people has billions) which most were selling for 30-45 mil.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I play now and then but take frequent breaks.

I'm not gong to defend the NGE and I'm not here to post my "vet review".

SWG still has imho one of these crafting systems around...  I play on Starsider and always have.  The population is nothing like it once was... tho I hear its one of the more populated servers.

That said...

When I put things on my vendor they sell.  I had somewhere around 50 million credits when I came back to game the first time.  I have a few hundred million now and I don't really stock that often.  I've also purchsed things along the way.

I had a ton of pre-cu and pre-NGE resources.  When chapter 6 .. I believe that was the BM chapter anyway.. when it went live.  I had a lab setup very quickly...  sold quite a few combat pets.

I stopped with pets when for a while it was very easy to make 60 point pets.  Then I just sold other stuff... reverse engineering items, resources etc etc

The game can appear very dead in the adventure sense...  but when I stock my vendor its like this invisible batch of ewoks comes and raids it.. I swear I've never seen the people that buy my stuff.. but that part of the game is still very active.

• mstrsrevatimstrsrevati Member UncommonPosts: 100

Originally posted by Obraik

Originally posted by daeandor

I'm still trying to figure out why "veterans" who dislike NGE even do the trial anymore.  To top it all off, I don't understand why they post their "reviews" anymore, if it's been said and done in a "vet review" once, it's been said 100 times.

Note to vets:  If you didn't remotely tolerate NGE when it came out, you are not going to like NGE now regardless of the changes.  Your friends are not going to be there, your cities are gone, your PA's are disbanded, and you are not going to find people wandering around aimlessly to old pre-CU and CU hotspots.

SWG just came out with a space content publish a few weeks ago so space has a pretty significant draw right now and those people don't show up on /who and you cannot see them in space unless you are within about 5000m.  SWG also came out with the "new" village and it's associated instances not long ago which also has a draw.  Unfortunately for newcomers, everyone has pretty much done all the pre-quests inside the village, so if they are doing that content, they are in the instances.  Mission terminals give experience now and people tend to do those straight out of their home player city.  Bottom line is that SWG may no longer be fun for you, but it does not mean it sucks for the people who do play and know where and what to do.

Curiousity is what brings me back for a look. That and the ability to say I've seen it and can speak from at least some experience of it.

So, what have you done since you started your trial?  Did you get involved with the BM crafting process that we talked about a few weeks ago? 

Actually, I took one of my toons and tried to respec the expertise to BM but I'm unable to train in any expertise. I think we all know why, so I'll try to find the time to address that. ;)

On another toon I began crafting some of the things needed for BM, but I doubt very much I'll have the time to do it in the next 11-12 days.

But I will say that I'm finding it very difficult to get motivated to do it, never mind excited. I read a comment somehwere that describes BM as a 1000 times more complex yet a 1000 times less rewarding, and that really nailed it for me - at least in my very limited experience so far.

Much like so many other things in SWG now I'm finding it very uninspiring.

It depends on what you find rewarding.  IMO, pets in the current system are more rewarding then what was available pre-nge.  Each pet has its own personality and they're actually rather powerful - a single (well made) pet is almost as powerful as a player.  If having 3 pets out a time or being able to have a mount walk with you was what you considered rewarding, then it may not be for you.

I played SWG from 2004 to 2006 and yes left when the NGE hit.  I returned to the game this past June 2007 because a friend asked me to help save our old city on Dantooine.  She didnt' want to see our metropolis disappear and I had to agree with her.  Our fair city was built with alot of love and respect and we didn't want it to poof. 

I was happy returning to the game and dove in with a deep love of the game and all that it has to offer.  I spent hours redoing my tailor shop and helped my other two friends start up their BM shop.  Let me tell you BM is a very expensive and totally disheartening profession.  First of all 1 player can't do all the parts needed to make creatures.  You have to have friends who are crafters that can make the special parts needed for extracting dna and other aspects.   I see the logic, it's so people will buy from each other and it's a nice concept but being that the servers are low their aren't many if any of those crafters around.   Now I realize we are on a very low populated server (Tarq) but hey I'm not going to lay down ANOTHER $25 to move my character to a higher populated server just to play the game.  If we are paying full price we shouldn't have to lay our more money in order to actually play the game to it's fullest potential. 

Like I said BM is expensive and can really drive you nuts when trying to get all the parts needed to make 1 creature.  I won't even get into the resources needed, and the quality, let's just say you need really uber resources to make one really powerful pet. 

The same goes for the other so called "great" crafting profession that was added, the Reverse Engineering portion or RE.  Again, you need different parts from different crafters in order to complete the RE item.  You also need alot of RE"d gear yourself with lots of luck added to get the best possible power stat you can make.  Now I understand that RE items shouldn't be easy to make they are special addon's that people save up for so that your PVP playstyle is better or crafting or whatever you want to upgrade however, they made it way to difficult to complete items and if you just started to play this game you won't be able to afford to be a BM crafter until you save up alot of credits.

As for the pets, well I was a creature handler and I have had both pets and I still love the old CH profession over this one.  Pets had personalities back then as well, at least I always felt mine did.  They were also pretty darn powerful as well.  In my opinion I'd take that profession anyday over BM at least it seemed more game immersive to go out into the wild and capture and tame your own Dire cat and roam the planets with your pets killing enemies and other wild animals on the way.   Now you just crack open an egg and out springs a genetically enhanced pet you paid 35-50million credits for...lacks a bit of immersiveness for me.

I've read all the posts here and I am sorry but the OP has valid points.  Apart from Chialstra and Bria most servers are DEAD, I played for hours on tarq and if I saw more then 2 people I considered it busy.  That's not counting my two friends who I returned to the game with.  If I hadn't had them around I would have never seen a soul and YES I did leave my city and quite often as I love to go hunting on all the planets.  

In the end I once again closed my account as did my two friends.  I stopped logging in a month ago because it was too sad seeing everything done and having no desire to play because of the lack of population.  If SOE merged servers maybe then we'd go back but I doubt it.  The game is not the game it used to be.  Yes some things added are nice but for what was taken away it doesn't compare.  I will always love SWG but I just can't see paying the money each month to just play house and craft.  The game used to be a hustling bustling little world, for me it's a ghosttown now. 

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Originally posted by sookster54

I'm still trying to figure out why "veterans" who dislike NGE even do the trial anymore. To top it all off, I don't understand why they post their "reviews" anymore, if it's been said and done in a "vet review" once, it's been said 100 times.

Because people are always saying "this game is much better now than 2 years ago", but yeah most vets point out the fact that it's still the mother***************** NGE.

Well, the reality is that it is much better now than when NGE came out.  Several aspects are much better than in pre-CU.  For some reason "most vets" can't get over the whole NGE combat thing and never look at what is improved.  CH is improved, unfortunately it actually requires a great deal of effort and old CH's don't seem to like having to do more for a good pet than the old, tame and go macro-grind trash mobs.  Clothing and armor crafting are improved, but old crafters don't want to put the time into farming the loot items needed to make the attachments.  The list could go on, but you get the idea.

Anyhow, I'm not saying SWG is great now, just better than it was in CU.  But overall, the game is showing it's age and it just does not measure up to other games out there now.  Of course when it came out (pre-CU) it was completely different from the standard EQ, AO, DAOC, that were out at the time.

• airborne519airborne519 Member Posts: 542

I'm still trying to figure out why "veterans" who dislike NGE even do the trial anymore.  To top it all off, I don't understand why they post their "reviews" anymore, if it's been said and done in a "vet review" once, it's been said 100 times.

Note to vets:  If you didn't remotely tolerate NGE when it came out, you are not going to like NGE now regardless of the changes.  Your friends are not going to be there, your cities are gone, your PA's are disbanded, and you are not going to find people wandering around aimlessly to old pre-CU and CU hotspots.

SWG just came out with a space content publish a few weeks ago so space has a pretty significant draw right now and those people don't show up on /who and you cannot see them in space unless you are within about 5000m.  SWG also came out with the "new" village and it's associated instances not long ago which also has a draw.  Unfortunately for newcomers, everyone has pretty much done all the pre-quests inside the village, so if they are doing that content, they are in the instances.  Mission terminals give experience now and people tend to do those straight out of their home player city.  Bottom line is that SWG may no longer be fun for you, but it does not mean it sucks for the people who do play and know where and what to do.

Curiousity is what brings me back for a look. That and the ability to say I've seen it and can speak from at least some experience of it.

So, what have you done since you started your trial?  Did you get involved with the BM crafting process that we talked about a few weeks ago? 

Actually, I took one of my toons and tried to respec the expertise to BM but I'm unable to train in any expertise. I think we all know why, so I'll try to find the time to address that. ;)

On another toon I began crafting some of the things needed for BM, but I doubt very much I'll have the time to do it in the next 11-12 days.

But I will say that I'm finding it very difficult to get motivated to do it, never mind excited. I read a comment somehwere that describes BM as a 1000 times more complex yet a 1000 times less rewarding, and that really nailed it for me - at least in my very limited experience so far.

Much like so many other things in SWG now I'm finding it very uninspiring.

It depends on what you find rewarding.  IMO, pets in the current system are more rewarding then what was available pre-nge.  Each pet has its own personality and they're actually rather powerful - a single (well made) pet is almost as powerful as a player.  If having 3 pets out a time or being able to have a mount walk with you was what you considered rewarding, then it may not be for you.

A friend and I gave it a real honest 2nd go around. My friend actually quit prior to NGE, so everything was a shock to him. But I tried to make a go with 2 of my 3 accounts. One was Jedi that I holo grinded, my other account I tried Droid Eng. From lvl 1 - to 90. 

I was on bria, and I could not for the life of me find the components I needed to build my droids that other professions are supposed to provide. I absolutely could not find the component I needed that armor smiths make. I looked and searched, I asked armor smiths running around the SP's but they weren't interested in helping. I think I gave up asking after about 2 or 3 attempts to get someone to build these components.  I wasted resources, and days of manufacturing to only find out I needed this one component to build battle droids.  I understand the need to make all professions needed but it's a different time, they need to give the power to build all components entirely to that specialty.  Experimentation... I didn't realize that had no affect on my product, what a waste.

I like what they did to beastmaster profession, however, a gripe I have is how the devs shrank a bunch of the animal species, including my varactyl. For some reason I can't get over it. It may seem like a silly matter, but I beta tested this game, and it was the little things and atttention to detail is what made this game so special.  Now these creatures walk and run strangely, players may not notice it, but I do.

Little by little they took individuality and those little details away, like having your mount follow you while your walking.  For me the game was a simulation of what star wars might be like if I was living it.  The whole point is, it's an escape of reality.  I may be the minority on this, but, these are some of the issues that killed it for me on the 2nd go around.  I would have loved some of these new holo pets and the serving droid back in the CU days.  There are some really cool new features added.  But the bad really outweighs the good. 

The population is decent on bria, but my original server Sunrunner, is a complete wasteland, with only a handful of hopefulls.

Anyway, I could go on talking about the other professions I tried also, but you all get the idea.  I truly miss playing this game however.

• TheChronicTheChronic Member Posts: 253

Originally posted by akevv

Riker gives his opinion of the game as a vet, being invited back on a vet trial. Of course his point of reference is going to be from what was. Obraik, your opinion is also important, but Riker is not wrong nor do your comments really help change what he feels. Riker is being pretty neutral I think. If the game is to be treated as "new", then I would say it would fare far worse than what Riker has posted because there are at least ten games I can think of that play better than SWG. Riker has given the game a fair chance to win him back and the feeling overall is one of neutrality, leaning toward loss. His opinion of the current game is relevant, just as your cheerleader point of view is.

I disagree.  He's overlooked alot of things to get to the opinion he came up with.  Most of what I posted wasn't really an opinion but solutions to the technical difficulties he encountered due to a conflict between the way the game used to play and the way it does now.

LOL DUDE

just ***** the *** up pls... jesus

"You must be either retarded or a fanboi..."

• ThornwolfThornwolf Member Posts: 107

If you wanna go that route, it would be quite easy for me to simply say that you're loading into the game with a jaded view and creating your own bad experience ;)

Tweaking your keymaps and even appearances doesn't really mean much.  I tweak nearly everything I buy to make it just right for me, from Windows, to SWG to my car.  The fact that you can personalise things to match the way you operate is a bonus, not a negative.

I'm not going to lie to you Obraik, my opinion certainly is jaded. But regardless of my opinion I have tried very hard to remain non-biased in game, and it fails to inspire me time and time again. I don't feel the "Star Wars" in this - not in the past and probably even less now.

It seems to me that in pre-CU everyone wanted more - more content, more professions, more crafting, more purpose, more community. The NGE gaves us exactly the opposite - less. How can I possible find the current game entertaining when it has done the reverse of what I wanted?

You really can not argue with that logic, and I agree nothing about this game from launch to now feels like Star Wars to me. It was why I left, and why all of my friends and family who are passionate star wars fans left. It is simply put a bad representation of Star Wars in MMO form. I want it to be so much more, but it is not. Some are happy with it, and I will not fault them or their logic either but by the same token you have to respect the opinion of others who were looking for a better in game experience than what they got.

I have not returned to it, so I can not and will not comment on the current state of the game. It sounds like you all have a good handle on it and I will respect your opinion but forgive me for not giving the game another chance. SOE really dropped the ball here.

• Prime8Prime8 Member CommonPosts: 108

Originally posted by greenstumps

I dunno you fans say you see all these people but in December I tried the veteran trial agan cause theres two people in my ex guild (which had hundreds of people before the CU and about 80 people before the NGE) wanted all the ex players to take down their buildings from the city. I logged in at prime time and I saw hardly anyone, like most people were AFK in mos eisley cantina and outside the port and a few people dotted around starports like mustafar and restuss but that's it.

You fans of the current SWG seem brain washed cause one guy trying to start up our guild again just talks about SWG like it's all roses and saying how amazin restuss is for PVP and how they'ved fixed everything. Yet I login and just seem a poor copy of wow and a shadow of what the game used to be and I don't see how anyone can find PVP fun or restuss fun when you can just play WOW and have a better PVP time. I also find it funny how you say how great the game is and yet you have to use UI mods and animation mods and manually fix the combat by changing all the default key mapping around so you don't have to use that stupid FPS targetting thing which makes no sense cus the bullets follow u around wherever u run and go through buildings lol.

I dunno how you can act like everything is roses cause the game is pure crap.

If you'd just quit and the others quit then SOE would have no choice but to give classic servers and I think we'd all agree that the game was way better before all this CU and NGE stuff and if you think it isn't then you have seriously problems in your life.
    If you wanna go that route, it would be quite easy for me to simply say that you're loading into the game with a jaded view and creating your own bad experience ;)

Tweaking your keymaps and even appearances doesn't really mean much.  I tweak nearly everything I buy to make it just right for me, from Windows, to SWG to my car.  The fact that you can personalise things to match the way you operate is a bonus, not a negative.

Yes but with SWG nge tweaking your keymaps is not an option it is necessary just to play the game at all .

cheers

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

Credit where credit is due:

Had a problem with my toon tonight, he got incapped in the Tusken Relics Cave, and couldn't get up; wasn't deathblown, but for some reason froze on incap countdown 0 and could not revive, but could not clone.

Submitted a CS ticket, was resolved in about 20 minutes with the toon revived.

That's pretty good service.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• mstrsrevatimstrsrevati Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Originally posted by SioBabble

Had a problem with my toon tonight, he got incapped in the Tusken Relics Cave, and couldn't get up; wasn't deathblown, but for some reason froze on incap countdown 0 and could not revive, but could not clone.

Yes the customer service in game has improved I'll give them that.  However I wonder if it's due to lack of population hence the CSR's having free time to help whomever right when they contact them., Or is it just better service period..?  I guess we'll never know.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by mstrsrevati

Originally posted by SioBabble

Yes the customer service in game has improved I'll give them that.  However I wonder if it's due to lack of population hence the CSR's having free time to help whomever right when they contact them., Or is it just better service period..?  I guess we'll never know.

"I'm Stuck" tickets are always given priority. 

• admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

in response to Obraik...

I took a look on bazaar vendor search as you suggested. There wasnt a full page of items I needed at all. There were stacks and stacks of droid armor 4, but I can already make those as a DE. What I need, droid armor 6, can only be made by an armorsmith. There were only 2 x25 and 1 x17 on someone's vendor (which I bought)

Also looking for playback modules, there arent any. What you saw was playback droids, but not modules.

And since crafters are hard to find considering populations are so low, its hard to get needed components.

Oh and Im not crafting harvesters to sell, I was unloading all my of old ones since I bought elites to replace them. The ones I have on vendor all have like 100k units of power and 50k paid maintenance. I priced them at 75-150k depending on how much power is in them but they arent selling.

Continuing my Review....

Okay 2.5 more days into my experiences...

Combat -  Okay combat as gotten more tolerable since I got the auto-target thing keymapped. Now when I hit a key the target stays locked. This allows me to mouse down to my toolbar and use some specials. Much better than before.

Anyway, I decided to visit some old favs of mine. First up, Geonosian Caves on Yavin. Eep, I cant get in past the very first mob. Instant death. Mobs are too hard. I used to be able to solo the place as long as I was careful.

Next up, krayt graveyard. The place is now crawling with krayts everywhere. Ancients are no longer rare. And like Geonosian mobs, I have no chance. Theyre 2 shotting me before I can even scratch them. I tried using my droideka as a distraction and more dps, still cant even get their health bar to move before Im killed.

I then asked around thinking maybe my gear just isnt up to par. Im fine really, Ive got the jedi master cloak and my lightsaber is better than most (bane's heart and 4 pearls all highly tuned). I even spent half my credits on premium pearls (flawless dont drop anymore).

Pearl stats arent like before, all they have now is simple damage and it literally adds up to your stats. I thought like before a multiplier would factor in but it doesnt. I got one pearl out of 10 to tune to 18-19 (im guessing 19-20 is cap). It made my saber go from max dam of 1263 to 1264, well worth the 20 million I spent. All my pearls are 18-19 and I used the best resources so my saber has gotta be almost the best I can make it (unsure of the new hilts added since NGE though if that effects stats or if its just for looks ? ). The Bane crystal doesnt have stats now so no idea if its better than regular color crystal anymore.

Overall, combat has some real problems. The mobs are way too hard now. Running around Yavin, I had to be careful not to take on too many mobs or I'd die. 3 lvl 78's give your lvl 90 toon a workout. And you arent one-shotting lower lvl mobs like we should be. If Im 40 lvls above something, it should mean instant death if I breath near it but it isnt. Heck any other level based game, if Im 12 lvls above something Im gonna 1-2 shot it. Not in SWG. And forget soloing anything elite.

Bugs - I didnt mention this in my previous review. The rubberbanding issue seems to be gone for me anyway. I didnt have any real lag issues. One problem though, I crashed to my desktop a lot. Its happened a total of 8-9 times in 6 nights of playing. Usually it happens when I use a shuttleport.

Crafting - I played around with crafting more the past few nights. I didnt notice before but no matter what resources I use, my droids all end up the same now. I cant effect health stats, droid level, combat abilities, nothing at all. The only stat I can effect is auto-repair (which matters little) or creature harvest bonus. Everything else, I can use the junkiest resources and it wont matter one bit.

A DE one week into the game could make a combat droid equal to me, a 12 point smith (which by the way is next to impossible to find now that Skill tapes no longer drop) with the finest resources going back to launch. How can the devs possibly think this is fair ? Is this part of that whole "we wanna make the game more accessible to others" mentality ? I just dont get it. What incentive do I have as a crafter if I cant make a superior product after paying my dues ?

I got to testing combat droids. I can see now why nobody bothers to buy them. In plain english, they suck. In fact my old pre-nge probot lvl 30 combat droid had more use to me then than a lvl 60 droideka does now. I tested one right outside my house near Anchorhead. A lvl 60 droideka based on level multiplier should be one-shotting a lvl 12 bantha but it wasnt. It took several shots before the droideka won, it missed a lot.

Maybe I watched a different Star Wars movie but I could have sworn that droid were a big part of the star wars universe. In SWG they are pretty much not used by the players. Even my old storage models (that used to sell) are worthless because nobody has storage issues anymore. Nobody carries around extra gear anymore because nothing wears out. You can carry 80 items now (i think it was 50-60 before). For some reason entertainers dont bother using droids either despite it being the one type of droid I make that has at least some purpose. I have yet to see a single entertainer using one in 6 nights of looking in the cantina.

The economy is completely hosed now. I guess because items dont decay there arent enough money sinks now. Forget about paying 5cpu for a resource now, its more like 1000 cpu for something with OQ - 237. Its common to see regular items going for 40 million credits easily. Players I talked too have billions of credits now so 50 million is nothing to them. When I left prior to the NGE I had 112 million and was one of the richest players around. In 6 days, Ive spent 70 million credits just getting resources, harvesters, and some pearls...4 yrs to earn 112 million and I spent more than half in a few days just to get back into the game. And forget about decorative items for your house, you'd need 500 million for that.

The way the economy is now is a real problem for new players, especially crafters. Its just not possible to get a business going with the prices now if you are new.

So if I stayed in the SWG game, what purpose would I have ? My droids dont sell so no business to run. Cant really sell resources since nobody needs them really. I put a resource vendor up with stuff on there for 5cpu but not a single sale. Combat isnt working properly. The only endgame I see going is pvp for the gcw ranking thingie, and if you dont like the combat well your back to square one.

I honestly gave the game a shot but there really isnt a reason for me to stick around. It doesnt even feel like an MMO anymore. More like a chat room in the cantinas and a multiplayer battle zone around Restauss. Everything in between is completely empty.

With the droid stuff, as the DE, you make the Playback Module, you just need to get the Dual Wave Synthesizer made by an ent.  Currently on Chilastra, there's 30 crates of these listed on Vendor Search.  With the Armour, again, you make the actual Droid Armour 6 module you just need Battle Armour segments from an Armoursmith.  Currently on Chilastra there's about 20 crates of these, although some are listed on storage vendors by the looks of things.  I've made a number of runs of these for various DE's and did a bunch last night infact.

It's well established that Droids are lacking in use right now, which is why Droid Commander is being introduced.  This is suppose to be part of Chapter 10.

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

I disagree.  He's overlooked alot of things to get to the opinion he came up with.  Most of what I posted wasn't really an opinion but solutions to the technical difficulties he encountered due to a conflict between the way the game used to play and the way it does now.
    You really need to read the sticky at the top of this forum.  The default key setup isn't the most user friendly and with a little tweaking of the keymap you can get it to a point where it plays alot like the old game.  Everything you mentioned above can be dealt with.

Telling someone they must read stickies to change the entire key-map to make a game playable is bull-shit.  This is the exact proof of how dead and of a lost cause this game is yet you even admit it through your own denial. 

this game is lost beyond repair.  While I'm sure they have made imrpovements to the tic-tac-toe design implemented with the "new game enhancements" it does not take away that the game is still crap.  If SOE isn't able to allocate time to make the game somewhat playable with a default control mechanism then EVERYTHING someone says in angst is proven true.

You can polish a turd but it's still a turd. 

I've put the game to rest, now it's time for SWG to be laid to rest. 

• GutboyGutboy Member Posts: 630

Just so you know you max the armor rating on a droid with 2 level 4 armor attachments. No need to get the level 6 ones at all. It's always been that way and the NGE has not changed it.

Originally posted by mindspat

You really need to read the sticky at the top of this forum.  The default key setup isn't the most user friendly and with a little tweaking of the keymap you can get it to a point where it plays alot like the old game.  Everything you mentioned above can be dealt with.

Telling someone they must read stickies to change the entire key-map to make a game playable is bull-shit.  This is the exact proof of how dead and of a lost cause this game is yet you even admit it through your own denial. 

this game is lost beyond repair.  While I'm sure they have made imrpovements to the tic-tac-toe design implemented with the "new game enhancements" it does not take away that the game is still crap.  If SOE isn't able to allocate time to make the game somewhat playable with a default control mechanism then EVERYTHING someone says in angst is proven true.

Firstly, why read and participate in discussions about a game you've supposedly "put to rest" and have no interest in?

The keymap advice mostly applies to those that are returning to the game and have played it before.  Those that have only started it with the current keymap generally don't have too many issues - even many Vets have adopted the new NGE styled keymap.  I changed mine because I prefer non-modal chat - essentially it's the same just with CTRL in front of the original keys.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Thank you for the great review  admriker4 ,

saves me alot of wasted time i would have loose to just notice the game is still crap since Nov 2005, the NGE core  has to go !! and replace with the PRE CU core.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

In regards to the issues with combat difficulty, yes, things are harder now and this is due to popular request.  People here especially complained that the game was too easy and unchallenging with everything being able to be solo'd. 

You can still solo stuff, even Krayts and other gold elites, you just need to spend time investing in your characters skills and your own skills at playing your profession.  Just because you have the best cloak, saber and crystals doesn't mean you're gonna run out and kill everything in sight - and you shouldn't be able to either.  You'll need to visit the various crafter professions and have them reverse engineer and create skill attachments and powerups to improve your characters abilities.  Visiting an Entertainer for a buff will also improve your combat abilities.  It's a touch of Pre-CU/NGE.

As proof that soloing gold elites is still possible, here's my BH/BM solo'ing the Giant Dune Kimogila (essentially the same as a Krayt), http://media.putfile.com/Soloing-the-GDK

• MathosMathos Member Posts: 897

Firstly, why read and participate in discussions about a game you've supposedly "put to rest" and have no interest in?

The keymap advice mostly applies to those that are returning to the game and have played it before.  Those that have only started it with the current keymap generally don't have too many issues - even many Vets have adopted the new NGE styled keymap.  I changed mine because I prefer non-modal chat - essentially it's the same just with CTRL in front of the original keys.

Dude hes hear of his own free will unlike some that get payed to come here....

What they did to there player base was just well i dont have words for it but, I was there I saw it first hand im even not permited to post on there forums anymore....

Dude defend them all you want it dont bother me but untill the day they run the gov's, ill bad mouth them all I want and if im in a store and some one asks my advice on a game, all i do is tell them $oe's treatment of there player base, but i also tell them to try the trial first....

Originally posted by Mathos

Dude hes hear of his own free will unlike some that get payed to come here....

What they did to there player base was just well i dont have words for it but, I was there I saw it first hand im even not permited to post on there forums anymore....

Dude defend them all you want it dont bother me but untill the day they run the gov's, ill bad mouth them all I want and if im in a store and some one asks my advice on a game, all i do is tell them $oe's treatment of there player base, but i also tell them to try the trial first....

Whether he's here on his own free will or not isn't the issue I posted.  He said he's "put the game to rest" yet it's rather obvious he hasn't.  Say what you mean or don't post it, basically.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Whether or not Mindspat has "put the game to rest" or not is pretty irrelevent in comparison to his point that the ui is ridiculous and needs to be addressed badly.

I would think even you Obraik can aggree on that point, so lets not try to deflect his observation on this.

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

Whether or not Mindspat has "put the game to rest" or not is pretty irrelevent in comparison to his point that the ui is ridiculous and needs to be addressed badly.
    I would think even you Obraik can aggree on that point, so lets not try to deflect his observation on this.

It's his method of operation - avoid the faults, pick apart other's experainces as fabrications while side stepping negative facts.  

Truth be told - the number one complaint with SWG is infact the horrendous default key map layout.  It does not behave in the manner of which the game play encourages thus forces all players to modify and alter the settings.  

The top recomendation to a new commer of SWG is to completely alter and modify the default key-map settings.  These recomendations are made not out of preference as alledged, but purely out of nescesity.

Inetentionally misleading the potential player base is one thing but making completely erroneous accusations is unscrupulous; Ironically on par for an SOE product.

I've got to agree that if you MUST go in and alter the default UI to make the game playable (and this is the case with SWG...the "free fire" combat setup is stupid beyond the dreams of Pakleds) then the game has problems.

One of the reasons, I'm sure, that they haven't fixed the UI is sheer cussedness on the part of the devs, that the players are supposed to play the utterly lame pseudo FPS of the NGE instead of the target locked standard of every other MMO out there, to include the Holy Grail of the Greedy like Smedley, WoW.

It is just utterly idiotic that you have to modify the UI to make it usable.  The game is tolerable for combat once you have replaced the NGE interface setup.

But still, not nearly as good as the game that the NGE is trying desperately to imitate, WoW.  Because SOE does not do polished and bug free.  They'd break out in hives if they tried.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

I think the ironic thing here is that all these "stickies" that need to be read to get a grasp of the game is totally against the Nancy McIntyre philosophy of "too much reading".

Wasn't the NGE supposed to be "easy to jump into"?

I think the ironic thing here is that all these "stickies" that need to be read to get a grasp of the game is totally against the Nancy McIntyre philosophy of "too much reading".
    Wasn't the NGE supposed to be "easy to jump into"?
    I don't think people talk enough about how easy it is to jump into WoW because the interface is very well deisgned, is elegant, is intuitive, and actually does not require "too much reading".

Totally unlike SWGs utterly stupid UI, which has the "look and feel" of WoW without an atom of its utility.

Once a denizen of Ahazi