Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help with my wireless internet connection please

ThriftThrift Member Posts: 1,783

Hey guys Im having some frustrating problems with this wireless connection that I have going on here, this is my problem. I have my modem and wireless modem right beside each other in the basement, my dads computer is up in this room (2 floors up) and he keeps loosing connection. The single strength is very low at most times about 20% d-link puts it as. Now most of the time after a couple of hours it wont even show my netword in the lists avaiable to pick up a signal from at these times I have to come downstairs and creat a new signal network by putting the cd in.

Anyone know what the problem is?

Comments

• oakaeoakae Member UncommonPosts: 344

The problem most likely is your computer being 2 floors up. It has a weak signal from all the interference. Try putting the wireless modem somewhere in the center of the house. If that doesn't work you'll have to buy a wireless modem that gives off a stronger signal or run ethernet cords to the computers that don't get a signal.

• tgftfjhgfuftgftfjhgfuf Member Posts: 68

Update your wifi card drivers. They help significantly. Flash your modem with new firmware if nothing helps.

Laptop? Go to the wifi card options and set power to highest.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

What is your house made of, wood, brick, etc.... any iron gerderers? 

have the pepole next door setup anything  that could interfere?

has your father done or had done any work on the house recently?

check the basic's, plugs & cords, look for breaks.

cables do they sit or lay near a heat source?

remember it might just not be the modem or pc's thats having the problem, check around.

hope this helps.

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124

I have the d-link and am often not impressed with it's signal. Am going to see what I can find better. But I would say just your distance n floors between is the problem. I run a laptop and the kids computer offa wireless. My laptop usually isn't too bad as it is used on the same floor. But I still don't like the slower speeds. My kids computer that is lined up with the annt. get an even worse signal downstairs.

If you don't have the option of buying a new one...get an anntenna for the wireless computer. This helps out quite a bit because you can move the anntenna to get a better signal. Or as stated in another post try n move the computer to a central location of the house.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

The problem could be the 20+ feet away from the router, having to go through all the flooring and the electrical interference through other cables power cables etc. The signal strength is much better if it is directly parallel to each other.

• WarknoxWarknox Member Posts: 19

Because it is 2 floors seperation and up at that I dunno if this will work for you.  However, and I still can't believe this ghetto rig is working lol.  The following worked for me.  http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html

I have my wireless router upstairs on one side of my house with 1 floor and approx 4 + walls between it and my laptop at my dinning room table.  Prior to the makeshift ant. I would get 1 maybe a slight 2 on my connection bars.  I am now actually setting on a 4 steady lol.  Most ant. will radiate in a 360 unless specifically directional.  The above template will force your wave direction and give you a boost to some degree.