Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xbox 360?

lilreap2k3lilreap2k3 Member UncommonPosts: 353

I'll start off with a little background. I have been gaming since I was a toddler, around the end of the atari days. I still have every console I have ever had starting with NES. I got my first computer while I was playing PS1. (Dunno how many years ago that was) Ever since then I have been a full blown online gamer. FPS, RTS, MMORPGS, you name it. The last console I got my hands on was a PS2. I still play every console I have, on occasion, but have been more into my computer the past couple years. I am finding myself more and more bored with WoW, and every other mmorpg. I was thinking about buying an Xbox 360 as a change of pace.

I have only played an Xbox 360 twice ever. So I am not sure exactly what all is involved in gaming, specifically online, with these newer consoles. I just got my taxes back, and have around a grand to spend on this.

I guess what I am looking for from you guys who have 360s is a guide of what all I will need to buy, tips for 360 TLC. (I heard 360s mess up pretty easy if they aren't cared for properly.)

I also work at Blockbuster so I can rent any game I want free. So I was thinking of maybe buying Oblivion with the 360, and renting other games until I see what I like. Oh and I will be getting the 360 Elite. I'm all for having the best of the best.

Playing - Minecraft, 7 Days To Die, Darkfall:ROA, Path of Exile

Waiting for - 

Comments

• Ita+ChupsIta+Chups Member Posts: 70

Xbox 360 has an ethernet jack. You put your Cat5 or Cat 6 modem cable in it, just like you would with a PC.

Then you have to log into the Xbox Live network system that lets you go online with your Xbox.

You create a 'gamertag' which is just your name, and you provide a name / country, w/e you know, just register through your xbox online.

You have 2 options after registering:

-Silver account: pay nothing, you get acces to game updates, you can buy simple games through the browser etc.. you can chat with other Xbox live players etc..but that's it, no online play

-Gold account: all of the above + online play, it's 8$ a month or so.

If you don't want to go online, you don't need to do anything of that. You just throw your game CD in the xbox and play hehe.

• Keebs1984Keebs1984 Member Posts: 1,356

I'd definitely recommend getting a 360 if you are in the market for a console. The sheer number of games out makes it worthwhile.

A few things to remember:

1. There are known issues with reliability. Buy your box at Best Buy and get the extended warranty.
    2. Try and find an Xbox that uses 175w of power as opposed to 204w. This means that your Xbox will have the new chipset in it and therefor use less power thus making the reliability issues less of a caution.
    3. To play online you'll need to pay monthly or yearly ($7/month, $50/year). It kind of sucks but the service is way better than the PSN or Wii network, which are both free.

Also mak sure you know which system is right for you. The Xbox 360 comes in a variety of flavors:

Arcade - No HDD, 5 free Arcade games, wired controller.

Premium - 20gb HDD (most popular model), wireless controller.

Elite - 120gb HDD, wireless controller, Black console.

There is also the Halo edition 360, but thats really just a repainted Premium model with a plug in play charge kit for the controller. Nothing super spectacular. Hope this helps.

Eternally mine,
    Keebs

The MMO gaming blog I write for.

• Hades_WarpigHades_Warpig Member Posts: 265

Buy a play and charge kit, about 10$-15$, maybe 20$ for the MS one. But you make up for how much u spend on batteries. I got the madcatz one for 10$. Works perfect.

• ThriftThrift Member Posts: 1,783

Originally posted by Keebs1984

I'd definitely recommend getting a 360 if you are in the market for a console. The sheer number of games out makes it worthwhile.
    A few things to remember:

There are known issues with reliability. Buy your box at Best Buy and get the extended warranty.
    Try and find an Xbox that uses 175w of power as opposed to 204w. This means that your Xbox will have the new chipset in it and therefor use less power thus making the reliability issues less of a caution.
    To play online you'll need to pay monthly or yearly ($7/month, $50/year). It kind of sucks but the service is way better than the PSN or Wii network, which are both free.

Also mak sure you know which system is right for you. The Xbox 360 comes in a variety of flavors:
    Arcade - No HDD, 5 free Arcade games, wired controller.
    Premium - 20gb HDD (most popular model), wireless controller.
    Elite - 120gb HDD, wireless controller, Black console.
    There is also the Halo edition 360, but thats really just a repainted Premium model with a plug in play charge kit for the controller. Nothing super spectacular. Hope this helps.

I just got the arcade bundle and it does come with a wireless controller, not that it makes that big of a difference.

Also I would add, xbox online is amazing, being able to keep track of all your friends is a big plus. Also the market place is nice you can buy xbox games for about 500 points (1600 points are 20$). Last night I also found out you can buy movies off the market place, it was 400 points for Oceans 13 and 500 for the HD version.

EDIT: As long as you buy a new generation 360 you wont have the problem of them breaking down, most of the breakdowns where caused by what was called the "x-clamp" which was how they clamped down the heatsinks on the gpu/video card.  My friend got a RRoD last month and we ended up fixing it ourselves since it would cost more then 100$ which shipping and insurance. All we did was add new paste and replace the x-clamps with bolts and washers also added 1 extra fan.

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

I have been gaming since the NES. I had a Genesis but never used it. I moved on to the Super Nintendo and N64. I bought a PS1 but never played it. When the gamecube rolled around I got one but Ultima Online turned me on to computer gaming and especially MMORPGS. The way I saw it, Consoles were only for platformers, fighters, and sports games. None of these really interested me. When I lost my computer a few years ago I did not have enough to get another. After being deprived of online gaming for 6 months I broke down and bought an Xbox 360. I was wary of FPS games on them but COD3 was a lot of fun and from there I greatly enjoyed many console only games like Guitar Hero II. However it was Rainbow Six: Vegas that really sucked me in. Online Gaming on the 360 is a little less organized but it is much faster and reliable. COD 4: Modern Warfare solved all the issues I had with online gaming, console and CPU, and really made me love my 360. Now I am greatly enjoying Mass Effect and games like Assassin's Creed. I always thought the CPU and Online Gaming would kill console gaming but now it looks like the Consoles are striking back hard. You can't deny the lure of what is basically a High End Gaming PC for 1/4 the price. The type of games I would advise against are RTS Games. They are playable on consoles but not worth it in my opinion.

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

I would get a PS3 or a Wii, both offer alot more possibilities then the 360 in gameplay and the 360 costs more then then PS3 if you buy all the options on the 360 that will put it on par with the options on the PS3.

• Ita+ChupsIta+Chups Member Posts: 70

Originally posted by CleffyII

I would get a PS3 or a Wii, both offer alot more possibilities then the 360 in gameplay and the 360 costs more then then PS3 if you buy all the options on the 360 that will put it on par with the options on the PS3.

And you won't get:

• K.o.v.eK.o.v.e Member Posts: 227

Originally posted by CleffyII

PS3 costs at least 100 bucks more then the 360. I dont mind PS3 but I would for sure buy the 360...Well actually i am this weekend and first game im getting is Oblivion.

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Ya but you are forgetting all the components that come standard on the PS3 that you have to pay up for with XBox360.  Its something like $290 more to match what the PS3 offers out of the box excluding internet service.

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

The one option that makes me drool over the PS3 is Blu-Ray. Now that Sony has won the HD video war makes the PS3 more valuable. There may not be a ton of games now but the PS3 isn't going anywhere. Over the last 10 years Sony made a lot of crappy decisions, but they struck gold with Blu-Ray.

• oakaeoakae Member UncommonPosts: 344

I'm pretty sure you know that the 360 has a high failure rate, I would recommend scouring through stores to get a Xbox with the 65nm Falcon chipset. The Falcon chipset runs cooler and includes the additional heatsink cooling the GPU helping increase the Xbox's reliability.

I would also not get the 360 elite. It's the same thing with only a larger hard drive and guaranteed hdmi. All the Falcon 360s have hdmi so just get the Pro.

This site has a guide to find a Falcon 360

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3152&p=3

If you are interested in the PS3, this is the the best year since release.