Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dead Game?

Comments

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by MikeMB

The game is not dead, it's slowly getting better.

No, it isn't. I was in for a few days last month, and it was deader than my previous time in November. In turn, November was deader than what I saw last June.

• SWG has the most subs it will EVER have, from this day on, today.

Tomorrow will have less than today, but more than it will have ever again.

And so on, and so on.

• shukes33shukes33 Member Posts: 1,051

On the topic of my post! why am i nuts to think that 30 people is healthy when i was actualy saying " i dont know what is a healthy population" and when i said mos eisely i meant the cantina not the city, sorry about that! 30 people in that canteena was quite full and any more would have just looked silly to be honest. But dont forget i am a new player and didn't play the game pre whatever. so no friend i'm not nuts just not pre nge either :)

To me i dont want people standing all over each other looking like they are joined up. 30 in one place is quite enough thank you lol.

But being honest as a new player, the game doesn't seem dead but it does seem difficult for new players to find friends :) also for the people saying it's been turned into a wow clone, are you kidding? this is more like old everquest in the fact that if you dont follow the linear quests which may i add is your own choice, then it's a good old fashioned grind game. and i dont mean that in the same old swear word most of you do, to me grinding was a good thing if you enjoy the area's you grind in :)

• saaysaay Member Posts: 455
    Originally posted by salvaje

SWG has the most subs it will EVER have, from this day on, today.
    Tomorrow will have less than today, but more than it will have ever again.
    And so on, and so on.

You give up the "swg will shut down in spring 08" argument or the clearly false "swg has only 10k players"?  what will you come up with next, its exciting tbh. And why today? :)

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Regardless of the percieved health of this game the clearest indictor of how good it is is how well it would stand up to another SW MMO.

IF a new SW MMO were to be released what would the effects be to this game? Catastophic? Marginal?

Personally I think this game would be left in ruins, and that speaks very clearly to me about how good it is.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by Suvroc

Regardless of the percieved health of this game the clearest indictor of how good it is is how well it would stand up to another SW MMO.
    IF a new SW MMO were to be released what would the effects be to this game? Catastophic? Marginal?
    Personally I think this game would be left in ruins, and that speaks very clearly to me about how good it is.
    It depends on if said people are expecting another sandbox style MMO.  With LucasArts involved, I highly doubt it would be anything close to that.  SWG may have lost some of it's sandbox feel with the NGE, however it still retains the ability to make you to feel like you're living in a Star Wars world.

Of course, this assumes said rumours are even true.  I have my doubts...

• ajax7ajax7 Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Obraik

No, SWG is not dead, much to the dismay of a certain group here ;)  Infact, over the period of a year, the populations have increased quite a bit from my observation.
    The game does have a controversal past though.    Those new to the game are unlikely to be affected by those past events, which is why the other forum was created so current and potential new players who want to discuss the current game aren't constantly having their topics dragged into a discussion that wasn't helpful.

I gotta disagree Obraik.

I've been watching the server listings perodically, and I've noticed a decline since Sept.

Suvroc,

Sorry to say but on some servers populations are growing take Starsider for a example the population there is growing slowly but growing. I see new players all the time and Mos Eiesly has a consant 100 people in during prime time that means people are coming and going for buffs but the city remains crowded.

Most planets now have Max Shuttle Ports again back in chpt 5 Dantooine had only 5 shuttle ports but is now maxed again this to me shows growth.

Server listings can be deceving due to the hour of the snap-shoot.

Also my traders are doing fine if credits made is an indicator I started with 300million in chpt 5 I know have 2.5 billion credits made by my traders this is a good indicator of populayion growth since chpt 5. Before chpt 5 the game was almost dead I would logon and see maybe 20 in Mos Eisley now I always see a 100 plus there. Also at base Busts we normally have 65-85 people from my faction there ans yes it gets laggy.

So please keep your comments about which you really don't know because you don't play to your self. I'm a vet also yes I miss the old Game but the current Dev team has made the game fun again and enjoyable. I consider it SWG lite but I rather play this than EQ2 or WoW.

Ajax

With each new game that comes along though it all depends on the quality of these new games. Lets look at the fantasy games for a min, I started with Everquest which i still class as my all time great, and that will never change or at least it would take something special to beat it. then came wow which i played for 12 months and did enjoy but became bored easily and moved on again. i played eq2 which was better but still way of the old gaming behemoth i knew as everquest. Then along came Vanguard and lotro. i played both games and found neither held a stick to my old fav. Soon after i had nothing to play so i tried them both again, i now have an active Vanguard sub as the game plays decent on my pc now and offers something more than the standard fantasy games. When i read about VG everyone seems to hate it and label it as the biggest flop in history, that is until you come to SWG forums. Here they are in no dounbt that this is the worst game available after the nge. Now being a newcomer who has played all of these games a lot, i have to say that swg is taking me back to my old Everquest days. NO WAY will it ever replace EQ as EQ is irreplacable! but i do enjoy a good old grind. Social gaming was always better than running into a dungeon fast, killing said mob and running to next. In swg i can do this.

Is any new game going to better swg? looking at the trend i have to think NO! with each new game that is released standards drop and games seem to get easier and i really feel that there is no company brave enough to break the mold. Verant did it just because they never expected thier game to lift of like it did. Now companys see what money there is to be made and, just release what will make them money. If all the so called vets used all this anger to attack the games producers and just soe then maybe companys would actualy try to break the mold. Go attack the millions playing wow because thats where online gaming is heading.

Or maybe all you vets get together and actualy show these companys the way to go. I could honestly say right now that i would buy your game and pay a 12 month sub for it if you did because i really believe that although you seem to attack me for playing swg deep down you only want the same as i do.

Come on time to stop blubbering and do something about it! show us what gaming really should be, tell us what you want or rather tell developers what you want. even more fund them! There is certainly enough of you to make an impact as far as cash is concerned :)

Originally posted by ajax7

Suvroc,

Server listings can be deceving due to the hour of the snap-shoot.

That's precisely why I monitor it at approximately the same peak eastern time.

Originally posted by Obraik

It depends on if said people are expecting another sandbox style MMO.  With LucasArts involved, I highly doubt it would be anything close to that.  SWG may have lost some of it's sandbox feel with the NGE, however it still retains the ability to make you to feel like you're living in a Star Wars world.

Of course, this assumes said rumours are even true.  I have my doubts...

I appreciate what you're saying but first of all I'm not discussing rumors actually. I was using a hypothetical situation. Secondly I don't even think that that sandbox issue would have a bearing on the outcome. I think a decently made lv/loot SW MMO would decimate SWG's population.

Originally posted by ajax7

So please keep your comments about which you really don't know because you don't play to your self. I'm a vet also yes I miss the old Game but the current Dev team has made the game fun again and enjoyable. I consider it SWG lite but I rather play this than EQ2 or WoW.

BTW Aja7,

What is it exactly that I don't know about? I simply made an observation yet you're attacking my knowledge of the game? Sure, I may not know about some of the minor details of the current game, but I don't think that has any bearing on viewing the server listings.

Hell, someone who has never played the game can view the server listings as well.

Where do i find the server listings btw? starting another char soon and wopuld be nice to actualy see listings instead of the low/medium/high stuff that doesn't really tell you anything :)

Originally posted by shukes33

Where do i find the server listings btw? starting another char soon and wopuld be nice to actualy see listings instead of the low/medium/high stuff that doesn't really tell you anything :)

That the info that I use. Although it doesn't give you a clear picture of the immediate populations it does give you an indication of the ebb and flow of those populations over time.

Ahh got you! so theres nowhere to find the actual player base then :( i remember Everquest used to actualy have a count of how many were online, that was great. wish games would all use that still. lol imgine all the arguments it would stop on forums hehe.

Shukes33,

The three most populated are StarSider, Bloodfin, Bria each has its own flavor Bloodfin pvp, Starsider roleplaying and Instantance runnig, Bria for those that think they are the best.

Ajax

• vingvegavingvega Member Posts: 577

The game is dead man.  Some people know it's dead but still whine, complain, and lose sleep over the fact that their once good MMO is now a pile of rubbish.  Now they toss and turn at night with cold sweats sucking their thumb in a corner of their bedroom wishing for rollbacks.  It will never happen.  Then you got the guys who can't let go who come into the forum and cry and whine in their very own special way.   Blaming SOE, Smed, Jabba The Hutt, or anyone that had anything to do with the game.  I think that is how they get their fix now.  But in all honestly, I used to be a big fan of the game, but I let the dead horse die without beating it over and over like some people.

That the info that I use. Although it doesn't give you a clear picture of the immediate populations it does give you an indication of the ebb and flow of those populations over time.

A better picture is the GCW listings can be viewd to see how many generals etc. but Suvroc does not have access to those.

Starsider, Bloodfin, Bria those three are very populated.

Ajax

Ahh thanks friend! i'm thinking about starting a Smuggler and i do love to roleplay to an extent, well more i like to play an extension of myself but in character so maybe i should start a char on starstrider. I think i will take a look tonight on starstrider and maybe take a look into any Rebel recruiting guilds that might take a complete novice to be nurtered :)

Thanks again.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

To think that the last few severs that still has somewhat a population is growing because of new people  coming into the game is flat out rediculious. The new people that some here are so inclined to tell everyone else is in fact nothing more than people that are transfering from dead servers.

Let's face facts here, i would imagine in a few months or so, most of the people on the dead servers will either transfer or quit. Once that happens SOE will shut those dead server down and continue limping along maintaining those 3 or 4 servers that are still running.

Those servers will have a very minimal increase every so often from new people trying the game out, but in all honesty there will probably be more leaving than coming in.

SWG will continue until another SW MMO comes along, then it will probably shut down.

Ahh got you! so theres nowhere to find the actual player base then :( i remember Everquest used to actualy have a count of how many were online, that was great. wish games would all use that still. lol imgine all the arguments it would stop on forums hehe.

lol ok man, you got me.   :)

But I'm not sure exactly why I was "got".

Of course I do not have actual numbers. I never made that claim, but you can certainly get the overall idea of the populations by monitoring those listings.

Nobody will doubt that pre-CU had the most numbers, and the servers showed that. It's no different in monitoring it now and the listings from 6 months ago. Unless SOE has changed the classification of what their servers are then I think it can be fairly accurate when compared to itself.

It's much in the same way that those servers show an increase from  Nov. '05 to present day. I'm just pointing out that it's been on a decline since September '07.

Fact is friend that i am actualy a new player (well 2 weeks ago) so im afraid your a little of thier friend :) i came from another gme because i was looking for something to play, i found it in swg :) ok if others left the game at the same time then yes you are correct that the player base is getting smaller, but if not then again friend i'm afraid your wrong. Truth is like it or not untill someone actualy comes up with numbers, then no one is right its all just speculation :)

That was not to you by the way suvroc! it was directed at musicmans post. i get your point also suvroc but on a side note it would be interesting for us both if we could actualy see numbers wouldnt it!

But i have to say Fair play for seeing through my post friend. most people would have caught the bait :)

Salute.

Fact is friend that i am actualy a new player (well 2 weeks ago) so im afraid your a little of thier friend :) i came from another gme because i was looking for something to play, i found it in swg :) ok if others left the game at the same time then yes you are correct that the player base is getting smaller, but if not then again friend i'm afraid your wrong. Truth is like it or not untill someone actualy comes up with numbers, then no one is right its all just speculation :)

Oh I agree it's speculation. But I think you can make some pretty accurate estimates, just as in many different things like the stock market, betting/gambling, etc...

All we can do is use the available facts to support our claims, and that's simply what I'm trying to do.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

That was not to you by the way suvroc! it was directed at musicmans post. i get your point also suvroc but on a side note it would be interesting for us both if we could actualy see numbers wouldnt it!
    But i have to say Fair play for seeing through my post friend. most people would have caught the bait :)
    Salute.

Well like you said in another reply... SOE used to show the numbers for EQ1.  Then when that game started to drop..  They no longer showed the numbers saying other companies would use the numbers in some evil way.

I guess that's one thing I have to respect Mythic for... they still show the numbers for DAoC.  Altho in that game there is no "long term player" debate over the fact that populations have dropped in huge ways.

Then again when you look at some servers and they peak at 27 to 35 players... it would be hard to say they didn't drop. (as an example before the RP cluster was added to another cluster.. it used to hit around 350 players max).

I don't think SOE showing the numbers for SWG or any oher game would change anything.

People that dislike SOE would still bash them..

People that play the game would still play it..

and I never personally have felt that most of your playerbase even goes to the forums...

But I don't see anything for them (SOE) to gain by doing it.  Which is most likely the only thing they look at.

(it would be nice to see the numbers for people looking for an "active" server to join tho).