Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A few Guild Wars questions...

gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

Worth playing on top of WOW? I plan on getting this as in-between time when I'm just sick of WOW. Or is it like a lesser-WOW?

Should I buy all the games, or just the one with the class I want and the newest? I'm getting Factions for Ritualist, but will I ever need or care to get the other games?

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there

Comments

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

I believe that you can buy all three in a bundle now, so it's not that big of a decision as to which one to buy. There's about 60-100 hours of single-player / group content amongst all three so  you'd be getting a lot of game for your money.

If you're into to arena PvP, Guild Wars stands on it's own. I'm not going to try and sell you on that since you just have to experience it to get why. I think that once you see how broad your options are in the build of one class, you'll definitely want to try several different combinations. The metagame in Guild Wars is amazingly deep.

There's currently a 14 day free trail, just go check it out.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

Guild wars has a lot going for it.   The raids also aren't a ballad of clockwork to complete.

but you don't play this game for the PvE so it doesn't matter.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• Originally posted by gargantroo

Worth playing on top of WOW? I plan on getting this as in-between time when I'm just sick of WOW. Or is it like a lesser-WOW?
    Should I buy all the games, or just the one with the class I want and the newest? I'm getting Factions for Ritualist, but will I ever need or care to get the other games?
    GW is completely different than WoW.  GW has better match play PvP than WoW.  GvG suffers from the same social problems that WoW arena does but the game mechanics of GW are vastly superior for match play PvP.

GW is, in general, a decent compliment to WoW or any other MMORPG, its similar but very different.  It lacks a number of reatures more traditional MMOs have, but at the same has many innovative features they do not.  Its PvE goals are vastly different.

The only thng GW would replace is match play PvP.   I really see no reason to do WoW BG's when you can do GW, but otherwise its just different.

If you like GW after doing factions getting Nightfall for the Heroes is a good idea.  Many people like the original campaign the best story wise, although I prefer Nightfall.

Its important to understand that GW PvE is a story based experience like a single player game with social options.  Not really a grind based game like most other MMORPGs.  You can play it that way, but Anet has no interest in supporting that past basic things like titles and items with special looks.

Therefore whether you get the original campaign etc is as much about whether you want to experience the story as much as anything else.  If you only wanted to PvP you could just buy a skill unlock pack and not worry about any of that.

Basically you are buying exactly what is in that package, it is not like the hidden BS in other MMORPGs.  Where they charge you for an expansion, but baiscally make it so that you have to pay to level your character higher.  A GW package is a complete thing (other than Eye of the North).  It gives you wahtever capabilities it says.  A PvP unlock gives you the skill you want for PvP.  A campaign gives you a story and the classes and the skills for that story (plus PvP access).  For the most part Anet tries very hard to make a campaign stand alone.  There are no "required" skill or whatever.  Each campaign has some amount of cool skills and usually very commonly used skills are made avaiable in all campaigns.  Having all campaigns or all unlock packs basically gives you versatility.

Anet is pretty good about not trying to muscle you into buying every single thing they offer in order to not gimp your character.  They even have migrated some features into the core client like the bank space expansion from factions to avoid this sort of thing.

• andie123andie123 Member Posts: 11

well, it completely depends on what your gaming style is. if you like PvP then i would definately recommend guild wars, as its so much more broad then WoW.

PvE i play most of the time, and it does take a while to cpmplete the campaign, as it took me about 80hrs combined to complete factions and nightfall, get near the end of eye of the north(last mission now, i think) and get hardly anywhere in prophecies, but i'm not very intersted in that campaign at the moment.

Anyway, for a microfee game, Guildwars is as good as it gets. great storylines, characters, action and so on, but i have heard complaints that it isnt enough, and PvE can get repetetive, but thats all their opinions.

If you ever get the chance, i would say that you should get a free trail, play it for a while, then see what you think.

• Skalitor90Skalitor90 Member Posts: 8

I'd suggest getting prophecies and Eye of the North. Prophecies has the best story i think, And eye of the north will enable you to do Dungeons, Polymock and get Heroes. And if you like them, you can get Nightfall as well.

imageimage