Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does everybody like EVE so much?

Comments

• AramathAramath Member Posts: 161

Originally posted by janmagic

we like EVE because u are not forced to do anything! If u hate PvP, stay in Empire. If u like it, train some skills (takes a while, no questions asked) and go 0.0 and blow up some miners! Its not like a normal M MORPG where u can reach the endgame by grinding 24/7while being spammed by OMGROFLLOLPWNZU-kiddies because they dont have what it takes to play a game as awesome as EVE (exception=me xD) but f u like killing 100k dumb mobs which would stomp you in the ground if you encountered them in reality, play WoW....
    CCP made EVE a game that is extremely close to reality. Example: It is impossible to calculate the exact coordinates where you need to warp to to start that epic close range battle we all know from SW, even if you could, you wouldnt do it because it would result in a huge loss of ships if you not count in weapon ranges, signature radiuses and so on. 
    Now WoW: Imagine you, in the real world, standing in a desert, beneath a purple sky, with a wooden stick and a bit of  silk on your body, and that huge (PINK!) dinosaur running straight towards you.
    1.) There is no magic.
    2.) If there was, you would never have the chance of chanting 5 spells in a row before
    3.) the 2-times-bigger-than-you-(PINK!)-velociraptor-thingy just rips you apart.
    Just for an Example.

Caldari rocks
    Just a little snipe on your comments because the way you say it makes it sound a lot easier than it is. 

First, if  you want to pvp in this game and you are just starting out, plan on spending 6 months to a year training skills before you are even remotely close to being viable. 

Second, if you want to pvp, better get with a guild that has at least a small pve-only task group.  Otherwise, your weapons and ships will be inferior. 

Finally, unless you are part of a large successful guild, ships larger than battleships are out of the question.  Everything above battleship class vessels requires someone with a command ship being there to open warps for you so you can move your vessel around in a timely manner.  Otherwise you are stuck in the system in which you built your vessel.

• janmagicjanmagic Member Posts: 25

I just meant things like tackling, shouldnt take a year if im not mistaken

Actively playing: EVE primarily

• GramisGramis Member Posts: 99

@Aramath

Cyno alt 101? And everytime you associate EvE with guilds a newplayer gets poded ... 

Guilds, corps, it's all the same thing.  And yes, 6 months to a year to become a viable, meaningful pvp asset.  I played this one for about 4 months and once I realized the huge time sink involved in being a realistic pvp player, decided not to continue.  On the plus side, if you are on the ball, you will only have to pay for one month out of your pocket of real world cash, after that you should be able to fund your account by buying Eve time cards in game, unless they have finally removed that feature from the game.  By the time you are into your 3rd month you will probably be into a ship that can easily farm the cash for a new time card and still make enough cash to start doing things like upgrading gear etc etc.

Originally posted by Aramath

Guilds, corps, it's all the same thing.  And yes, 6 months to a year to become a viable, meaningful pvp asset.  I played this one for about 4 months and once I realized the huge time sink involved in being a realistic pvp player, decided not to continue.  On the plus side, if you are on the ball, you will only have to pay for one month out of your pocket of real world cash, after that you should be able to fund your account by buying Eve time cards in game, unless they have finally removed that feature from the game.  By the time you are into your 3rd month you will probably be into a ship that can easily farm the cash for a new time card and still make enough cash to start doing things like upgrading gear etc etc.

I can honestly say that you either didnt meet the right corporation or that you plainly didnt get EvE. and guild is not the same as corporation.

Guild a group of players under one leader or one cause to promote game play through teams and numbers.

Corp a group of players under one leader or cause to promote game play through teams and numbers.

Both are nothing more than different in game names for a way to have some sort of structure provided for the players that allows them to be with like-minded people in the interest of creating a better play environment.  No, Evetard, corps are not different than guilds or squads or nations or any other in game classification they use to allow players to group themselves under a banner.  Yes, in the game of eve, being in a corp provides benefits but for the most part, those benefits are nothing different than any other game.  Pooling of resources and players to allow for bigger and better ships, battles, etc.

The sad part is, Eve has been out long enough to progress to the stage that you were seeing in Shadowsbane prior to Ubi dumping it on the market for sell.  A lot of the corps out there are founded by an individual or a small group of individuals who's main goal is to get players to join them so they do not have to put out money to get things like capital class vessels and guild base structures.  I.E. they want to rape you for your resources and cash so they can have all the best gear while you will never see a return of that favor.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Corps in Eve work different than Guilds in other mmos though.

Take my corp as an example. It is, in itself, an entity on the market. Several people from the corp are working in several areas (mainly the invention and production part) and produce (mainly) ships, that are sold on the market and provide a constantl profit for the corp. That money is used partially for further investments into new products and partially to fund projects for the members (corp discount on ships and modules and other services).

I have never seen that in any other Mmo. It is not just a group that goes to raids, it works partially like a real corporation, with members electing representatives and voting over important decisions, and finally using the combined capital of all members to fund expansions in the market.

Actually you got it right just with the guild thing. In corporations it is a board of directors, there are tons of tools to manage/audit the corporation. There are shares that can be given/used by anyone. In a guild you are just a name and you have a meaningless title.

And did  you just called me an "evetard" just because you arent equiped enough to understand some concepts? 

Originally posted by batolemaeus

Corps in Eve work different than Guilds in other mmos though.
    Take my corp as an example. It is, in itself, an entity on the market. Several people from the corp are working in several areas (mainly the invention and production part) and produce (mainly) ships, that are sold on the market and provide a constantl profit for the corp. That money is used partially for further investments into new products and partially to fund projects for the members (corp discount on ships and modules and other services).
    I have never seen that in any other Mmo. It is not just a group that goes to raids, it works partially like a real corporation, with members electing representatives and voting over important decisions, and finally using the combined capital of all members to fund expansions in the market.

Obviously, you have not been part of a good guild outside of Eve.  For the most part, if you are part of a guild, you do what Eve does anyway.  It's called supporting each other.  Eve simply provides an in game GUI to manage this for people who want to part of the spam the newbies for new players guilds, so they can enforce their dictates on the players without having to resort to camping players etc etc.  Yes there are other mmo's that provide for some of the structure that Eve does.  They were not particulary popular or had other issues that caused them to go under.  No one likes being told that they will support leader XYZ's fancy new ship so they can barely afford to fly around in a card board box and not having the option of packing up house and leaving.  Nor does anyone like the fact that once they are in the situation, there is nothing they can do to stop said leader from raping their credit/resource pile as they see fit.

• alvin2014alvin2014 Member Posts: 1

i've been wantiing to try that game out. if there's someone that wants to sell it contact me

• LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808

6 months to a year to become viable in pvp ? Really ? Are you sure about that now ? I suggest you download and watch this pvp video of 2 players that were 2 days old each. Watch it and eat your words. www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp

What do you mean by finally removed that feature in regards to GTCs ? What problem do you have with them ?

Got any more wonderful shit you would to spread around here ?

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

5 weeks....all you need and you are COMPLETELY fine at pvp. You can fly a frigate or inty perfectly, with tech 2 guns, MWD, booster, etc....and you will be able to handle all ships > Battlecruiser easily (due to your small size of a frig/inty and the slow turning rad of the large guns). you will also be pretty much on par with all other inty/frig pilots since there are FINITE skills which affect each type of ship.

• EschiavaEschiava Member Posts: 485

6 months to a year?  Try, 6 days to a week!

I belong to a pure PvP (pirate) corp.  Our recruitment policy has been to recruit very new players.  In the nearly 4 months I have been there it has been a very common sight to see our newest players contributing in a meaningful way to kills.

When you tried EVE, I think maybe you failed to remove your WoW (or whatever MMOs you played previously) blinders and really get into EVE, rather than trying to force EVE into a WoW-like box. 

EVE is a very different game.  You don't have to grind epic gear to be useful.  As long as you have a little smarts between your ears you cna do just fine in the rifter you can fly shortly after creating a character.

Originally posted by alvin2014

i've been wantiing to try that game out. if there's someone that wants to sell it contact me

Go to the Eve website and buy it.

• kalukalu Member Posts: 70

Once you get out of newbie land and hit 0.0 and a corp that is at war with other corps god dang is it fun!

Thats my opinion! and it took me 3 ttrys to understand it!

loved planetside, playing EVE

• Serpens_SolSerpens_Sol Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by Suicider

One question.... where is the dif. between a Sci-Fi Browsergame and EvE, except the 3-D graphics?

Check out this tournament video in HD.

www.youtube.com/watch

Now does that look like a Browser Game to you?

Why I like Eve Online so much:

It is all about Player versus Player. Whether you are a prospector, explorer, business person, manager, politician, thief, or warrior, this game pits you against other players. NPC AI does not matter. (For example, I got can flipped while making this post, and now I'm gonna go pod the guy!)

The Freedom to play how and when I want to. I can play this game everyday, or I can take some time off. Just by making sure I got my skills cued up I am assured that when I get to play the game again my character will have advanced. While in the game I can do whatever I want as well, and my character will still advance in skill points.

It has Goals to work towards that go far beyond levels or gear. Eve is not for people with short attention spans who want immediate gratification in everything they do. Eve is for self-motivated people capable of setting long term goals and working towards them. Whether that means building and defending a Player Owned Structure, becomming the most notorious pirate or bounty hunter in your sector, or becoming filthy rich, the tools are there for you to plan out and then do it.

So maybe this game and its players will never make sense to you. Who cares. Move on already. I don't understand why people like 90% of the games, television, movies, and books out there, and I really do not care. If everyone were the same the human race as a species would fail. So just let it be.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

I think the main difference between EVE and other MMOs is that you need to play it with friends and not on your own, you can solo alot of the content but it just isn't as enjoyable when you solo. I played it soon after it was launched (2003 ??) with a couple of friends, they left after about 6 months, I played for another 3 months but it just wasn't the same... since then I've gone back several times but just don't enjoy the game play and combat anymore. EVE was my first MMO and my first exposure to online gaming. Since then I've play a few others, some I've only tried briefly, and I think that my taste in gaming has changed over the years.

Possibly the two reasons why people don't like it is the lack of WASD control (which is possibly the main reason I know longer enjoy it) and having a Spaceship as an avatar. The younger generation who play MMOs like to have fancy colorful armor and want to look 'bad ass', in EVE you just can't do that... regardless of you internal fittings the ships look the same.

If someone design a game with EVE's economy, pvp, skill system, non-ship avatars and a WASD control system I'd play it in a nanosecond...

2 things I just don't understand sometimes.

One is why do people NEED wasd controls ? Do you only play games that control with wasd ? Do you never play RTS or puzzle games that just use the mouse and some hotkeys ? Eve plays differently from a wasd game and the controls suit it just fine and wasd would not do a damn thing to enhance Eves gameplay.

The other is those people that say "Oh I will play Eve when I can walk on a statio". What does having a 3d avatar to walk around fundamentally chance about Eve that you will now all of a sudden love the game that you won't play now ? 

Don't get me wrong here. WASD control games have their place and I do enjoy them myself but I just don't care about it in Eve. In fact I think a WASD system would hinder Eve. 3D avatars and walking in stations is going be great for the game, it's going to be great atmosphere and the new shops and bars are going to be great new professions for players but it's not going to make you all of a sudden decide you like Eve and are now going to play it if you didn't like the game before.

• ValiumSummerValiumSummer Member Posts: 1,008

I don't play eve.  I've come back to it and left 3 times.   Despite the fact that I do not play it consistantly, I feel it is a brilliant game.   Probably a little too complex for me to play casually (and the best reason I can give for not playing it).  

• Fa+eFa+e Vanguard CorrespondentMember Posts: 190
    Originally posted by Lordmonkus

3D avatars and walking in stations is going be great for the game, it's going to be great atmosphere and the new shops and bars are going to be great new professions for players

Is this something that is definitely going to happen?  You wrote this as if it has already been announced to be coming.  I was just wondering, because that will be...incredible.

Currently Playing: Aion
    Trying Out:
    Retired: The Chronicles of Spellborn, EvE, LotRo, WoW, VG, AoC, CoX, RO
    Waiting on: Blade & Soul, Black Prophecy, Global Agenda, The Agency, SW:ToR, T.E.R.A.
    Working On: The 5th Dimension (coming soon)

• LordSkaalLordSkaal Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by Fa+e

Originally posted by Lordmonkus

3D avatars and walking in stations is going be great for the game, it's going to be great atmosphere and the new shops and bars are going to be great new professions for players

Is this something that is definitely going to happen?  You wrote this as if it has already been announced to be coming.  I was just wondering, because that will be...incredible.

Go read the posts on the EVE Forum, its 100% going to happen soon

Link to an older video from 2007. www.youtube.com/watch

There is a new one out that is much better but I can't seem to find it so if someone else has a link to it please post it. Yes I am being too damn lazy to dig for it right now.

Ambulation is supposed to be released in this winters expansion, BUT it was also supposed to be in last winters expansion as well so take what you will from that. Sometimes CCP gets behind and is slow but it does happen and when it does it's usually pretty damn cool and worth the wait.

Edit:

Shakycam video from Fanfest 2008 showing new stuff and explanations from a dev www.youtube.com/watch

I remember seeing a good quality non cam version of this video though.

• kattehuskattehus Member UncommonPosts: 375

www.youtube.com/watch

Video from '08 with walking in stations.

Also:

Even if CCP may be a bit slow on things, at least they (usually) don't release half-assed patches/expansions which need a ton of fixes before they're good.

|< I 1 1 I |\| 6 _ Z 0 |\/| 8 I 3 5 _ 5 I |\| C 3 _ 1 9 9 0
    -Actively playing Eve.
    Follow my tweet (:
    Originally posted by kattehus

www.youtube.com/watch
    Video from '08 with walking in stations.
    Also:
    Even if CCP may be a bit slow on things, at least they (usually) don't release half-assed patches/expansions which need a ton of fixes before they're good.

Thanks. Torfi always cracks me up.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

you might want to highlight that "Usually" this current patch is crappy as shit for bugs involving sound, graphics, and drops.