Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlaneShift devs, you deserve a medal!

murdera2k6murdera2k6 Member UncommonPosts: 474

I've not played this game yet im downloading now, but i have researched into this game quite a lot and i only just found out that the devs are all volunteers and they do not ask for money or have ads or Item malls, they have put together a commercial standard game for free. I respect these guys. As the title says i reckon these guys deserve a medal or something in recognition of their efforts. Thanks you guys.

"If they can make Penicillin out of mouldy bread, they can sure make something out of you," - Muhammed Ali

Comments

• pstruthpstruth Member Posts: 233

I love the game, but Planeshift isn't anywhere close to meeting modern commercial standards.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by murdera2k6

I've not played this game yet im downloading now, but i have researched into this game quite a lot and i only just found out that the devs are all volunteers and they do not ask for money or have ads or Item malls, they have put together a commercial standard game for free. I respect these guys. As the title says i reckon these guys deserve a medal or something in recognition of their efforts. Thanks you guys.

Come back AFTER you play before you decide to start handing out medals.

Edit: the "commercial standard" comment made me laugh.

• TuxideTuxide Member UncommonPosts: 213

Originally posted by Zorvan
    Zorvan: He was only saying that he appreciated the work that was being done in their free time. It is very common to see comments like these in the open source world; after all, you don't see people saying "I appreciate the time you guys put into WoW" because they are paid to by Blizzard and their work is involuntary. There are many people who voluntarily write code for whatever open source project without receiving any pay, and they will continue to do so as long as they have time and as long as somebody appreciates their work. Even commercial games like WoW and Guild Wars use open source software that was developed voluntarily, like FreeType, for example. There are even people who put out fires and drive ambulances to hospitals without getting paid for doing so. You can either make them know that what they do in their free time is greatly appreciated, like murdera2k6 did here, or you can make yourself look like a fool by publicly bashing how the job is done. But then nobody would like you. It all implies different levels of expectations between commercial and noncommercial software. Playing PlaneShift is to using Linux as a desktop OS (which I don't even think my mother could use) as playing <insert commercial game here> is to using Windows. But I'm not sure if you could understand any of that.

Oh what gives, you have never even played PlaneShift to begin with. I have to give murdera2k6 a medal for downloading the game, least he has gotten further than you have.

Originally posted by Tuxide

Originally posted by Zorvan

Zorvan: He was only saying that he appreciated the work that was being done in their free time. It is very common to see comments like these in the open source world; after all, you don't see people saying "I appreciate the time you guys put into WoW" because they are paid to by Blizzard and their work is involuntary. There are many people who voluntarily write code for whatever open source project without receiving any pay, and they will continue to do so as long as they have time and as long as somebody appreciates their work. Even commercial games like WoW and Guild Wars use open source software that was developed voluntarily, like FreeType, for example. There are even people who put out fires and drive ambulances to hospitals without getting paid for doing so. { Mod Edit }You can either make them know that what they do in their free time is greatly appreciated, like murdera2k6 did here, or you can make yourself look like a fool by publicly bashing how the job is done. But then nobody would like you. It all implies different levels of expectations between commercial and noncommercial software. Playing PlaneShift is to using Linux as a desktop OS (which I don't even think my mother could use) as playing <insert commercial game here> is to using Windows. But I'm not sure if you could understand any of that.Sorry, Linux is a whole lot more user friendly than Planeshift has ever been.And don't try to make assumptions about things you think I understand or don't. {Mod Edit}

Oh what gives, you have never even played PlaneShift to begin with. I have to give murdera2k6 a medal for downloading the game, least he has gotten further than you have. Again, don't make assumptions on things you know nothing about, as I have downloaded and played Planeshift before.

{Mod Edit}

I'm pretty sure Zorvan was taking point with the laughable suggestion that Planeshift is a commercial quality game.

Tuxide, you compared Planeshift vs WoW with Linux vs PC.  Are you suggesting that playing Planeshift is "stickin' it to the man"?

• UtMoonUtMoon Member Posts: 99

Welcome. Agreed, PS is nowhere near a commercial standard, and I am actually glad because of it. For the most part, I don't like 'commercial' MMO games. They are built based on the lowest common denominator. They are designed to draw in the maximum amount of traffic without any heed given to the quality of that traffic. In other words, the playerbase is low quality in action and attitude. Perhaps PS does deserve a medal just for avoiding that.

In that, the first poster read some info wrong. PlaneShift aspires to reach a commercial standard. I am actually not looking forward to the day when the game draws in a flood of players. The bad always come with the good.

Zorvan, you have good points... somewhere. I am sure you had at least one point. I'll get out my magic code ring to find it later. I recommend you take off your Negitiveman cape and tights for once, and at least try to post something more positive or constuctive. He was stating his respect for the effort being put into the game, even if he had one fact a bit wrong. The effort being put into PS is monumental to the folks who are doing it. I can personally vouch for the many nights the Devs, WTBs, and prospects have spent working on the game with little or no sleep. Then they would have to go to work. Rinse and repeat. Do they deserve medals? Perhaps not. But they damn well deserve more than a sarcastic ass making snide remarks about someone who actually appreciates them. And some people wonder why PS Devs come off as negative once in a while.

No, PS is not like saving lives. It is more like getting up at the crack of dawn without pay to clean up the local park before the kids get there.

No, PS is not as easy to use as Linux is NOW. Go back a few years when the code for Linux was three years old or less. I am sure it was a veritable cakewalk back then, and was used by millions of devoted followers. Seriously, think your 'points' through. I won't have to write as much to correct you.

In addition, stop thinking you are clever. In all your posts I have seen on PS, you have contributed nothing to the actual subject of PS. All your posts were about other people and how you did not like how they posted. Lovely. Give yourself a gold star for skating around actually talking about the game. And I have to give you a humble, mocking bow for your incredibly clever italic use of ass twice in assumption. Brilliantly childish.

Finally, I DO take issue with you laughing about the commercial standard remark. I found his comment to be amusing and smiled about it. You belittled and insulted the poster, not even bothering to point out NICELY that that information was inaccurate. Pstruth's post was actually more helpful. What you did was condescending, which you continued in your response to Tuxide. In the end, it would be better to be a blind fanboi than a pompous windbag such as yourself.

I would like to give a nod to pstruth here as well. You did well in your first post, but in your second, you just supported someone who is acting a hell of a lot like what you keep accusing the PS Devs of. Pick a side of the fence. Supporting a double standard is not benifical to your cause.

I changed my mind. PlaneShift is not worth the time.

I actually agree with you.  The fact that Planeshift is behind the times has given the PS community space to grow and thrive because it isn't swallowed up by the Runescape and WoW crowd (I guess Maplestory too?).  Still, I think the integrity of the playerbase could still be protected if the quality of the game was superior.  The nature of the medium prescribes its own use.

Zorvan has been harsh, even snide, but he has made valuable observations about the conduct of certain posters.  People here were at least on the verge of trolling, and the fact that someone like Zorvan who had no vested interest in either side was able to come in and call a duck a duck, well I would like to think that it encouraged certain individuals to reevaluate the tone of their posts.

You might not like what he says, and I might not like how he says it, but I think it's good that it's being said.  He probably sees it as putting people in their place.

I agree that higher quality features aimed at higher quaity players would be a boon. Having an inside look at the process, I know how hard it is to actually make these things. Making an MMO is not easy in the least.

{Mod Edit}

• mike480mike480 Member Posts: 75

Well these guys are just doing this in their spare time-not as a job.  They are doing this so people cn play a fun, free game :).  And for how they are working, they are doing very well i think

Originally posted by mike480

Well these guys are just doing this in their spare time-not as a job.  They are doing this so people cn play a fun, free game :).  And for how they are working, they are doing very well i think

I don't want to detract from the achievements, but work you do for projects such as these is resume material.

• maveric007maveric007 Member UncommonPosts: 160

ya know pstruth you went from one end of the spectrum to another about ps. What is it now thats driving you to have such a difference in your posting. Almost posting lock step with mods and dev of the game now.

Originally posted by maveric007

ya know pstruth you went from one end of the spectrum to another about ps. What is it now thats driving you to have such a difference in your posting. Almost posting lock step with mods and dev of the game now.

Wow, that's a mouthful you just said.  First, I think the developers of Planeshift are keeping lock step with reviewers, not I with them.  They keep an eye on forums and websites related to reviewing mmorpgs so that they can react to critiques.

Secondly, the world isn't black and white.  This isn't reality according to George Bush.  You can like something or support something, and still see flaws in it (and admit that those flaws exist).

I like Planeshift, but I recognize that it has major shortcomings.  I also take issue with aspects of its modus operandi.  But what's so wrong with that?  Why is it that we have to be either completely for the project or completely against it?

• maveric007maveric007 Member UncommonPosts: 160

I see no need to be on one end or the other. Its just you have gone from one end and back to the other which is why I was curious about the huge change in posting language over the past few months.

• TaladTalad PlaneShift DeveloperMember UncommonPosts: 83

Thanks for the medal! The developers work really hard for each release. Every release is getting better, no matter what people are saying. I can't wait to have next release ready!

Come to play or enhance our game PlaneShift!
    Originally posted by Talad

Thanks for the medal! The developers work really hard for each release. Every release is getting better, no matter what people are saying. I can't wait to have next release ready!

What exactly are people saying that discredits new releases?

• NurahkNurahk Member Posts: 21

Quite a bit on the PlaneShift forums.  Complaints about the introduction system is the big one this time around.  And then there are a couple members who complain about random things.

Good to hear the complains come from a couple of members only! At the moment the active players are about 10.000 !

Good to hear the complains come from a couple of members only!

Which means there are many more who aren't taking the time to complain.

Testers tell you what to improve.  Negative feedback should be embraced, not dismissed.

You should want to hear complaints because it means people care enough to tell you how to improve.  It's an alpha, afterall.

At the moment the active players are about 10.000 !

With an average of 80-100 people online, I don't see how there could be 10,000 active players.  If the average player plays for an hour a day, and if there were 100 people online 24 hours a day, that means there are about 2400 active players.  In reality it's far less than that since much of the time the server has less than 100 people and active players might play for more than 60 minutes a day on average.

pstruth, I have no idea why you still stick with this forum.

Your messages are:

• non informative
    • boring
    • pointless
    • not useful
    • not welcomed
    • very wrong
    • blatantly made to discredit us

What I dislike most is that you have to answer to EACH single post giving negative feedback. We accept criticism, but looks pointless if done at every single step.

Please look at the list of games you have on this site, there are PLENTY of wonderful games you can go play and check, most of them are nicer that PlaneShift, with more features, more players, less bugs, etc... lot of nice things you can do without wasting time of the people here.

People here want to hear news about PlaneShift, how the game is proceeding and how to contribute, discuss on future releases. None is interested in hearing your complains about 14 years old GMs or see you re-state every phrase we say in a negative fashion.

We are human beings creating a game, it's not perfect, it's bugged, but still there is someone which likes it. If you don't , just avoid wasting your time to post in every single discussion your vision about how PS is bad.

Thanks.

• NurahkNurahk Member Posts: 21

I'm active and I play maybe ten minutes a day on average :P

Either way, there's a difference between constructive criticism and just outright complaining.

• TuxideTuxide Member UncommonPosts: 213

I concur, one can get his point across WITHOUT personal attacking others. The only thing personal attacks do is promote incivility. I've heard people here say things like "Oh, but my personal attacks are justified". That's a bunch of crap.

pstruth, I have no idea why you still stick with this forum.
    Your messages are:

non informative
    I don't know, some of his posts have informed people of many things. So that's wrong.
    boring
    Your subjective opinion. Because you find his posts boring does not speak for everyone.
    pointless
    Again, subjective.
    not useful
    Informing people of things that don't stick to "rosy views" does not make a post useless.
    not welcomed
    Your opinion, some would disagree. Myself, for one.
    very wrong
    Every posts he's made has been wrong? Care to wager on that?
    blatantly made to discredit us
    If posting about something truthfully discredits you or the game, that's your or the games' fault, not his.

What I dislike most is that you have to answer to EACH single post giving negative feedback. We accept criticism, but looks pointless if done at every single step.
    It's his, and every person who posts on the mmorpg.com site, right to do so as long as they don't break mmorpg.coms' rules in doing so. For the millionth time, this is a section for discussing Planeshift, this is NOT the Planeshift official forums. This means good, bad, and ugly; not only what you may think is appropriate.
    Please look at the list of games you have on this site, there are PLENTY of wonderful games you can go play and check, most of them are nicer that PlaneShift, with more features, more players, less bugs, etc... lot of nice things you can do without wasting time of the people here.
    People here want to hear news about PlaneShift, how the game is proceeding and how to contribute, discuss on future releases. None is interested in hearing your complains about 14 years old GMs or see you re-state every phrase we say in a negative fashion.
    Don't know, I found it interesting. Therefore, speaking for everyone fails you here.
    We are human beings creating a game, it's not perfect, it's bugged, but still there is someone which likes it. If you don't , just avoid wasting your time to post in every single discussion your vision about how PS is bad.
    Again, you can suggest people go elsewhere, but you cannot tell or make them to do so.
    Thanks.
    You're welcome.
     And this isn't going to be one of those "go back and edit out every post you made" conversations like last time, is it?

Seriously, you guys seem to have some strange issues.

Zorvan, knock it off already. In the last thread, you defended pstruth for posting his opinion. Now you are deriding Talad for posting his? Come on now. Drop the double standard bit and step back to look at what you are doing.

It is pstruth's opinion that there is a problem with the Devs and GMs of PlaneShift. He presents it as truth. It is his opinion that the IRC channel and forums are flamepits full of power hungry mods. He presents it as truth. It is his opinion that the Devs do not listen to player's wishes. He presents it as truth. Time and time again he has openly presented his opinion as the only  truth, even after he has been proven wrong by others who do not share his opinions.

You have torn apart Talad's post because of his opinions. So, Zorvan, where are your posts with itemized quotes deriding pstruth's blatent opinions? Honestly, step back and look at the big picture once in a while. Not everyone against pstruth is, as you so insultingly called us, a fanboi of PlaneShift. What is the word you would use for someone who goes out of their way to put the game in a bad light? Or don't you think those type of people exist?

For your information, pstruth's posts are not always honest or truthful. He likes to leave many things out when proving his opinion, twist information, and put a negative spin on his wording with the intention of goading others.

Originally posted by UtMoon

Seriously, you guys seem to have some strange issues.
    Zorvan, knock it off already. In the last thread, you defended pstruth for posting his opinion. Now you are deriding Talad for posting his? Come on now. Drop the double standard bit and step back to look at what you are doing.
    It is pstruth's opinion that there is a problem with the Devs and GMs of PlaneShift. He presents it as truth. It is his opinion that the IRC channel and forums are flamepits full of power hungry mods. He presents it as truth. It is his opinion that the Devs do not listen to player's wishes. He presents it as truth. Time and time again he has openly presented his opinion as the only  truth, even after he has been proven wrong by others who do not share his opinions.
    You have torn apart Talad's post because of his opinions. So, Zorvan, where are your posts with itemized quotes deriding pstruth's blatent opinions? Honestly, step back and look at the big picture once in a while. Not everyone against pstruth is, as you so insultingly called us, a fanboi of PlaneShift. What is the word you would use for someone who goes out of their way to put the game in a bad light? Or don't you think those type of people exist?
    For your information, pstruth's posts are not always honest or truthful. He likes to leave many things out when proving his opinion, twist information, and put a negative spin on his wording with the intention of goading others.

First, you really need to stop reporting non-rulebreaking post, as abuse of the report system is also against the rules. I responded to Talads' post, pointing out his errors in a polite and non-insulting manner, which happens to be allowed on an open forum.

Secondly, Talads' post was centered on attacking pstruth, based on what Talad decides the rest of the community feels. If that post had been made in the same exact way, except exchanging pstruth as the OP and Talad as the conversation piece, you guys would have been reporting pstruth for attacking Talad. So, I'd double-think that whole double-standard thing.

As for tearing apart Talads' post and not pstruths'? I don't see pstruth telling people their posts are useless, unwanted, they need to go elsewhere, blah, blah, blah.

And I've never said pstruth has always been right. However, I'm sure he hasn't been wrong every time either, contrary to Talads' assertion above.

A little tidbit of old information:

From February 11, 2007.

Total PS accounts:  340,000 or so.

Accounts never used:  112114

Total characters used less than an hour : 141557

Total characters active more than ten hours:  9416

Accounts active in the last 30 days: 14787

Accounts created in the last 30 days: 18103

Accounts created in the last 30 days never used: 7614

Active accounts older than 30 days (repeat players, I like to call them):  4297

Accounts active in the last week: 3632

Active accounts in the last day: 1021

----------------------------

Current information:

There are more players online at a time now than last year.

Players online at the time of this post (3/28/08 4:00 GMT, aproaching the least active time of the day): 117

Info from a stat bot: Server statistics since Wed Sep 26 21:59:45 2007: availability 92.1%, longest time up: 34.5 hrs, longest time down: 57.3 hrs, avg uptime: 5.2 hrs, avg downtime: 0.4 hrs.

Server statistics for the past week: availability 78.0%, longest time up: 14.3 hrs, longest time down: 34.4 hrs, avg uptime: 6.9 hrs, avg downtime: 2.1 hrs.

Avg number of players online last week: 97.

As you can see, the 'average' included server downtime, which is 0 players. This makes the number of players online when the server is up to seem like a lot less. I assume these are the numbers he was using. Statistics are tricky things, and pstruth should get his hands on some actual numbers before trying to discount something and present his 'facts'.

This discussion has been closed.