Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard`s Next MMOG is Starcraft Online?

Netease said to be licensed foreign online game Starcraft Online.

China's leading online game operator Netease.com Inc. (NTES.NASDAQ) is likely to make its first step on being licensed to operate overseas online games in the near future.

Caijing Magazine reported that the first foreign online game to be operated by Netease, which used to rely on independent R&D, will be Starcraft Online, developed by US-based Blizzard, quoting an industry insider as saying.

Netease CEO Ding Lei didn't confirm the market saying, adding that the company is observing many online games and has not signed any formal license contract.

On an industry meeting earlier this month, Ding disclosed that Netease will strive to provide more game products by being licensed foreign games and co-developing games with foreign partners.

Continue to Read: Here, then share your opinion

Hey Everyone

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Obviously I don't care about what one chinese company is or is not doing.

The great news is that this semi-confirm that Blizzard is doing a World of Starcraft game. I have been waiting for a casual friendly, well-polished, sci-fi based MMORPG for a long time. Blizzard is obviously one of the best, if the best, company to do it.

It doesn't come as a big surprise though. Even without this semi-confirmation, the chance that Blizzard is working on a starcraft MMO is very high since a) they are confirmed to be working on another MMO, and b) it would be foolish to make another WOW style fantasy based one. Diablo is a possibility but that is still too close to WOW. Starcraft makes a lot more sense.

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926

Come on, not World of Starcraft.  That would be too lame.  I mean Blizzard could do ANYTHING.  They want a Star Wars license?  They get a Star Wars license.  They want to make the best Cyberpunk MMO ever?  They make the best Cyberpunk MMO Ever.

In any case, Blizzard would never be sloppy enough to release the info this way.

Lets face it, the Chinese company is just using this to drum up interest in its stock.  It knows that the Asian markets will react strongly to the word 'Starcraft,' and given how mysterious Blizzard is being, they're not going to get any contradictory information for a bit. 

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

This has about as much truth behind it as that company in India buying Sony Online Entertainment did.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    I don't find it very likely that Blizzard would be making Starcraft Online. They haven't even released Starcraft 2 yet, and one would think that they'd want to make at least one expansion for it. And for the consistency of the lore, the MMORPG should take place only after the war of SC2 expansion, and launch only some time after SC2 expansion.

And Blizzard has already started making their next gen MMO some time ago. Would they really have started making an MMO without first finishing the game that MMO is based on?

It sounds more like some kind of trick to improve the Netease's market value or maybe position in negotiating about hosting some other MMORPG.

• ShadowhearthShadowhearth Member Posts: 174

Well they released warcraft3 and warcraft tft, and then wow, so why not making starcraft 2 and then world of starcraft!

Btw Its is true, blizzard really working on new mmo, so best guess is starcraft, couze d2 would be too close to wow.

Or blizzard can slap us with big fish in to our faces, and make some new name? 

• gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807

They arent going to be making another MMO in either the Diablo or Starcraft universe anytime in the near future, its already been told at Blizzcon. Sure i agree it would be pretty awsome, but not possible at the moment. Their main focus is on WoW and getting Starcraft 2 finished and in stores. In case anyone forgot they did a merge with Activision while back. The MMO they are most likely doing is something of Activision's creation, and they are mainly going to help in the development of it as best they can despite being so busy with all the manpower on the 2 games i mentioned above.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Making 2 games at time in one universe makes so much sense.. dont be naive, guys

• SaikronSaikron Member Posts: 90

rofl is this guy serious?

Blizzard probably has the people already to make 2 games, and with their money bags and big name they could hire people and set up 10 more projects if they felt like it.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

Originally posted by gamerman98

They arent going to be making another MMO in either the Diablo or Starcraft universe anytime in the near future, its already been told at Blizzcon. Sure i agree it would be pretty awsome, but not possible at the moment. Their main focus is on WoW and getting Starcraft 2 finished and in stores. In case anyone forgot they did a merge with Activision while back. The MMO they are most likely doing is something of Activision's creation, and they are mainly going to help in the development of it as best they can despite being so busy with all the manpower on the 2 games i mentioned above.
    So much wrong here.

1 - At BlizzCon 07 Blizzard said that they were not working on a Starcraft MMO, they said nothing about Diablo.

2 - The "next gen" MMO began development a long time before the Activision merger.

3 - Blizzard currently has 2 confirmed games in development: Starcraft 2 and Project Hydra. It is unclear if Project Hydra and the "next gen" MMO are the same game.

There is NO Starcraft MMO in the works.

• testpilot_bgtestpilot_bg Member Posts: 19

Is there any possibility that Blizzard has another ideas for game world, different from Warcraft, Diablo or Starcraft. I've seen enough already! These settings are explored. Pfu, even the races from the most famous Blizz setting Starcraft are PLAGIARIZED by  Warhammer 40K. These guys don`t have nothing new to show to the world ... So, World of starcraft ... no, thanks!

The technology of Tau makes us strong!

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

WoW 2 is what they are most likely working on.  Basically an upgrade in graphics to their current game.  Why release a completely new game that is going to pull customers from their current game?  Blizzard isn't going to pull a ton of new customers to the game at least not in the west.  They will though pull plyaers from WoW to try a new game and I don't think they will want that.  Instead I see them upgrading it to compete for years to come. 

IF it isn't an upgrade to WoW then I see it being something entirely new.  I don't see them doing a Starcraft Universe game or a World of Diablo either.  Starcraft just doesn't feel right for a MMO.  I don't see them doing Diablo because the entire creative team behind Diablo is gone.  (left for Flagship, ArenaNet, etc).  So I don't see Blizzard ever making another Diablo game. 

I do see them either reviving Lost Vikings or making something entirely new.  ( I lean towards the entirely new area instead.  It has been a long time since Blizzard made any new IPs)  I see their upcoming MMO being designed to compete directly with their biggest potential competitor and that is Bioware. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Personally I think they'll be cashing in on Diablo, the MMORPG.  No proof or anything, just a gut feeling.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• VindicothVindicoth Member Posts: 273

This is my take on it, and have I've felt from the beginning.

Blizzard started work on Starcraft Ghost before World of Warcraft was released. World of Warcraft releases and makes them tons and tons of money. Blizzard uses that money to hire more developers and adds new content to Starcraft Ghost, such as better multiplayer, more races and classes per race. World of Warcraft REALLY starts to hit off big and they think " Well.. if Warcraft, which doesn't have the same cult following as Starcraft, could do this well, imagine if we made a Starcraft MMO?

So they cancel Starcraft Ghost indefinitely.. atleast in that form. They take what they have already done in Starcraft Ghost, beef it up, add more lore, change things. Make it MULTIPLATFORM (it was already scheduled to be so anyway) but make it an MMOFPS.

Whammo, new cash cow, and they're not really competing for the same customers.

• judgebeojudgebeo Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by CCDeathCC

Netease said to be licensed foreign online game Starcraft Online.
    China's leading online game operator Netease.com Inc. (NTES.NASDAQ) is likely to make its first step on being licensed to operate overseas online games in the near future.
    Caijing Magazine reported that the first foreign online game to be operated by Netease, which used to rely on independent R&D, will be Starcraft Online, developed by US-based Blizzard, quoting an industry insider as saying.
    Netease CEO Ding Lei didn't confirm the market saying, adding that the company is observing many online games and has not signed any formal license contract.
    On an industry meeting earlier this month, Ding disclosed that Netease will strive to provide more game products by being licensed foreign games and co-developing games with foreign partners.
    Continue to Read: Here, then share your opinion

Well it can be nice to have an Starcraft Online and see some hydralisc running around a zealot :D BUT! I was also very excited with WoW and it was really deceiving for me. Perhaps if the background of the game is starcraft we can get another feeling but still hoping is not a mere copy of WoW in Starcraft world.

Originally posted by Vrika

I don't find it very likely that Blizzard would be making Starcraft Online. They haven't even released Starcraft 2 yet, and one would think that they'd want to make at least one expansion for it. And for the consistency of the lore, the MMORPG should take place only after the war of SC2 expansion, and launch only some time after SC2 expansion.

And Blizzard has already started making their next gen MMO some time ago. Would they really have started making an MMO without first finishing the game that MMO is based on?

It sounds more like some kind of trick to improve the Netease's market value or maybe position in negotiating about hosting some other MMORPG.

This got nosense cause they can got more than 1 team working in more than 1 game. Also, they can develop the mmo without the finish of st2 cause the history of the new world is already writen, if the mmo can take 2 or 3 years of development, and the rts already got this time on work, they can perfect start, and I want to remark the work, START to work on it, this not means that it can be released just after the RTS, perhaps lot time after, but, they can already be working on it.

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by gamerman98

So much wrong here.

1 - At BlizzCon 07 Blizzard said that they were not working on a Starcraft MMO, they said nothing about Diablo.

2 - The "next gen" MMO began development a long time before the Activision merger.

3 - Blizzard currently has 2 confirmed games in development: Starcraft 2 and Project Hydra. It is unclear if Project Hydra and the "next gen" MMO are the same game.

There is NO Starcraft MMO in the works.

You seem pretty sure on something you DONT KNOW, just THINK...

Any of us cant confirm or deny that they are working on a Starcraft MMO because none of us is in blizzard projects team, or are you? :)

If you are, then, just give us some useful information :P

• RaevanhawkRaevanhawk Member Posts: 86

I would love to see a Starcraft MMO. It would work wonderfully and would mix the mmo world up with a decent sci fi game.

On the other hand, perhaps Blizzard could make us a Real Pirates game. You know, one where we have actual exploration, interactive water, less instances(other then special missions) , better towns to explore(not being forced to walk in certain areas), great avatar combat, better boarding mechanics, and the list goes on and on.....

Sorry bitterly disappointed  in some other mmo out now.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Would I would find really funny...

is if Blizzard's new MMO is a total sandbox, PvP based game.

People would scratch their heads for a while, but think about it.

They have the number 1 level/class based PvE game in the world...

so if they made a skill based PvP game it'd probably also reach # 1

It'd be hillarious.

That'd have the top spot on both major MMO markets.

If they do it sci-fi, which I think they should, either Starcraft or some new Sci-Fi IP, they'd have the #1 fantasy and #1 Sci-Fi MMORPG, the #1 level/class PvE game and the #1 skill/PvP game...

It'd be hillarious.

And honestly, I could see Blizzard totally doing that.

• Token1337GuyToken1337Guy Member Posts: 159

Originally posted by testpilot_bg

Is there any possibility that Blizzard has another ideas for game world, different from Warcraft, Diablo or Starcraft. I've seen enough already! These settings are explored. Pfu, even the races from the most famous Blizz setting Starcraft are PLAGIARIZED by  Warhammer 40K. These guys don`t have nothing new to show to the world ... So, World of starcraft ... no, thanks!
    That's sarcasm, right?  Of course it is. 

...Please let it be sarcasm.

Also, I wouldn't go near a Starcraft Online if they pulled the same thing they did with WoW.  I like the characters too much to farm Kerrigan for loot.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Didn't anyone else find it weird that Blizzard would even consider giving such a license to a company other than the one that currently hosts WoW in China? After all, China is the reason that Blizzard's subscription numbers keep going up, and their partner out there, The9, is the biggest gaming company in the country thanks to WoW, with more resources and experience than all the other Chinese companies combined.

Why would you leave them for an unknown nobody with no experience?

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

Is it possible the article is referring to Starcraft 2?  I mean there's certainly going to be an "online" part of Starcraft 2 and I don't necessarily think they are going to use Battlenet.  Why couldn't Blizzard be comeing up with a new service and tentatively calling it Starcraft Online and this is what the company is referring to?  That would make a lot of sense to me.

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

anyone remember starcraft ghost? its possible blizzard have gone and dusted of the old girl and are using it as the basis for a starcraft mmo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft:_Ghost

• HousamHousam Member Posts: 1,460

blizzaed have said many times that there next mmo will be a completly new game made up from scratch....no licence and not based on any other game , book or movie

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138
    Originally posted by heerobya

Would I would find really funny...
    is if Blizzard's new MMO is a total sandbox, PvP based game.
    People would scratch their heads for a while, but think about it.
    They have the number 1 level/class based PvE game in the world...
    so if they made a skill based PvP game it'd probably also reach # 1
    It'd be hillarious.
    That'd have the top spot on both major MMO markets.
    If they do it sci-fi, which I think they should, either Starcraft or some new Sci-Fi IP, they'd have the #1 fantasy and #1 Sci-Fi MMORPG, the #1 level/class PvE game and the #1 skill/PvP game...
    It'd be hillarious.
    And honestly, I could see Blizzard totally doing that.

Sort of like Planetside?  I could see that.  Still based on Starcraft units and vehicles, but not really WoW in space.  I think this would be a great idea.

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

Originally posted by Cabe2323

WoW 2 is what they are most likely working on. 

They have officially stated that it will not be WoW related. 

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Dark gritty MMO with no-cartoony graphic but with original art style and immrsive environment......Diablo FTW!!!!

• jasthemityjasthemity Member Posts: 63

FOR THE LAST TIME, THEY SAID IT WOULD BE DIABLO. It makes no sense for them to create a new IP when the current ones are so good.