Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

this or lotro

2»

Comments

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

I've played (and been frustrated) by both.  LOTRO is beautiful but boring IMO.  Vanguard is fun but broken IMO. 

If I had to choose, I'd pick Vanguard at this point.

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

Sony's Station All Access Subscription makes this an easy decision for me.  I enjoy some EQII, I enjoy some Vanguard, I even still enjoy some EQ(1) once in a while.  If SWG (still) and PoB (ever) were better games, I'd enjoy them too.

• HousamHousam Member Posts: 1,460

@booj: thats whan of the reason i wann play vg....cos of the huge class and race options....lotro has 4 races and 7 classes....which is less than wow and not unike in any way shape or form...i think i might just go ahaid and re-install vg....i mean its only £9 and if i dont like it its no big loss

@death:ya...lotro seem to have less content than wow when i think about it...in i tought wow is kinda empty now

Originally posted by Uproar

Sony's Station All Access Subscription makes this an easy decision for me.  I enjoy some EQII, I enjoy some Vanguard, I even still enjoy some EQ(1) once in a while.  If SWG (still) and PoB (ever) were better games, I'd enjoy them too.

ya eq1 was fun...emm ya...potb see looks boring to me....and i hear swg is a wow slone in a sci-fi skin....is that true

• Mud_MonsterMud_Monster Member UncommonPosts: 229

Made the same decision recently, and I went with LOTRO.  I played each game shortly after they came out for about a couple months.  I recently tried each again.  I still like Vanguard, but it still feels like it needs alot more work.  It was a little less laggy when I tried again compared to launch, but still whenever I enter certain areas, the DE city for example, the game turns to a slideshow.  My computer is getting kinda dated, but its still decent.  LOTRO I can play at max graphics and the game runs great, so graphically lotro looks alot prettier since I have to run Vanguard on lower settings to get it to run sort of ok.

PvP is something I enjoy in MMORPGs and though neither of these games excel at that area, I found LOTRO's PvMP funner.  Vanguard's PvP just felt glitchy to me and certain classes were pretty unbalanced.  I only played PvP when the game first came out though.  I was on Varking, the team pvp server.  When I returned to try the game again, I transfered my chars to Seradon, PvE server, since the only PvP server left was the FFA one and my experiences in PvP weren't that great earlier anyways.  So the PvP may be better now.

I'm mainly just waiting for AoC and WAR, so back to playing LOTRO for now since it seems to be the best game for me out right now.  I liked Tabula Rasa too, but one of my friend's I game alot with couldn't run it very well.  Still a fan of WoW too, but burnt out on that right now.

Originally posted by SagetheRage

Made the same decision recently, and I went with LOTRO.  I played each game shortly after they came out for about a couple months.  I recently tried each again.  I still like Vanguard, but it still feels like it needs alot more work.  It was a little less laggy when I tried again compared to launch, but still whenever I enter certain areas, the DE city for example, the game turns to a slideshow.  My computer is getting kinda dated, but its still decent.  LOTRO I can play at max graphics and the game runs great, so graphically lotro looks alot prettier since I have to run Vanguard on lower settings to get it to run sort of ok.
    PvP is something I enjoy in MMORPGs and though neither of these games excel at that area, I found LOTRO's PvMP funner.  Vanguard's PvP just felt glitchy to me and certain classes were pretty unbalanced.  I only played PvP when the game first came out though.  I was on Varking, the team pvp server.  When I returned to try the game again, I transfered my chars to Seradon, PvE server, since the only PvP server left was the FFA one and my experiences in PvP weren't that great earlier anyways.  So the PvP may be better now.
    I'm mainly just waiting for AoC and WAR, so back to playing LOTRO for now since it seems to be the best game for me out right now.  I liked Tabula Rasa too, but one of my friend's I game alot with couldn't run it very well.  Still a fan of WoW too, but burnt out on that right now.

thx mate.....im just gonna download the lotro trial and see...and i will just have to bay a month sub of vg...oh well :)

• DailyBuzzDailyBuzz Member Posts: 2,306

Originally posted by Housam

hmm played this game on release.....only for a month or so.....i think i had a level 20-24 blood mage....iv been thinking of starting this game again cos i hear alot has changed since relese.....so my question is is it worth returning to this game.....or shall i just go with lotro......im currently playing eq2.....just looking for a second mmo to play alongside it...
    LOTRO has a free trial, so I would recommend giving that a shot to see if you like it.

Having previously played VG, you already know what to expect there, and will have a basis for comparison.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

The biggest differences, imo, are that LOTR is a casual MMORPG with limited PvP where as Vanguard is more of a hardcore MMORPG, but nowhere near as EQ was, and with a dedicated PvP server. So take your pick depending on what you like the most.

• gilbamygilbamy Member Posts: 12

i played both vanguard and lotr and i loved vanguard and the graphics customization it was actually fun to play which is nice then the one i'am currently playing which is boring but i would say revisting vanguard i miss my druid now

• JoeShmo2JoeShmo2 Member CommonPosts: 98

Downloading Lotro right now.  The only reason I'm doing it though is cause I don't wanna buy VG, and getting a buddy key for this game seems completely impossible at the moment.