Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firewall for mmorpg gamers

AldjorAldjor Member UncommonPosts: 12

Hello,    <xp service pack 2><amd64 4400+><4gb duel channel ram><512mb ddr3 ati 2600>

Looking for a firewall for gamers.  I have tried several but have not been able to find the right one.

firewalls i have tried:

Sygate: best functionality, but causes win32k.sys errors (blue screen crashes under certain games)

Outpost firewall: incredably slow performance for both web and games ( unnacteptable )

zone alarm: corrupts socks, forces manual reinstall of tcp/ip, (not fun). Bottlenecks connection after                                        prolonged  usage.

pc tools firewall: caused severe system hangs, forced power button reboot.

ashampoo: no options to allow temporary internet access. seems a little sluggish.

Gonna try comodo and kerio next.

Comments

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078

i use bitdefender IS on my gaming rig and i'm quite happy with it. it has a "gaming mode" which stops background virus scanning and "slackens" some of the restrictions on the firewall.

i use comodo also on other pcs, it's a pretty well rounded firewall for a freebie, it's come along way since its first release which was a complete mess.

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

Kerio: Goes nuts when trying browse the server list on steam. It also makes the computer read large files were slow.

Comodo: Caused Severe lagspikes for me in CoD4, access memory it shouldn't, so that DEP would turn off a svchost.exe that was responsible for direct sound, themes and network related things. It also gave me BSoD.

Currently I'm using PCTools Firewall. No lagspikes in CoD4, No BSoDs, steam works fine. For me, it's been the best firewall I've used, with the single exception of you can't set up zones yourself. But I don't need that. If you have trouble with it, then it's obviously not the way to go.

If you're going for either Kerio or Comodo, I'd say Kerio. Comodo checks for a millions things, has a piss poor interface, and performs sluggish when certain packets are send/recieved/blocked. It does have a lot of good features though. Kerio on the other hand has all the features I needed, better performance in-game, and a superior interface.

• candygirl6candygirl6 Member Posts: 412

Why not use the firewall that comes with windows xp??

It's great and it's free..shrug, and it does everything a firewall should, it asks app's for acces after first boot up.

I never had trouble with it, hm.

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

Windows Firewall only protects against inbound traffic from applications. If someone planted a trojan in your computer, they'd have to full access to send all your data back home. It's also full of bugs which can easily be exploited by a mediocre hacker, not to mention it doesn't check packets, and doesn't have any settings concerning network security(Zones and so on)

• candygirl6candygirl6 Member Posts: 412

Ok I see.