Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was thinking of picking this up but...

I have a few questions first.

Endgame:  What is it like? Raid instances, endless gear grind, or is there a variety of things to do with unique and useful rewards?

Art Style: I have played both FFXI and WoW for extended periods of time and the thing that got me about both of those games are the art style.  I would look forward to leveling up in FFXI because some gear would look cool and the environment in WoW has great art direction.  I've heard LOTRO was bland, any truth to this?

Variety:  Is there a lot of things to do once I hit cap besides "end-game." For example, FFXI has chocobo raising/racing, pankration(monster arena) and other things.

Server:  I'm looking for a friendly PVE server

If a man does his best, what else is there?

Comments

• Masta22Masta22 Member Posts: 298

yes when you are lv 50 , there are currently 2 raids in the game so far, but wil be more. Turbine release free content patches about every 3 months. Havent got to lv 50 myself yet but there there are class armour to collect. You can also grind reputation from the different factions, although you can start that just before you are 50.  When you reach aquaintance status you can gain access to the reputation lodges, and buy special items from the vendor there. You will also be able to buy reputation horses from some areas.

Bascially the LOTRO environent looks incredible, much better than WOW (especiallly when you have the graphics turned right up). Yes some of the armour is pretty dull to start with, especially the cloaks. But it improves later and the crafted cloaks have much better design than the ones you get from quest rewards, although there are nice cloaks to loot at end game.  Also there are nice set armour and ofc the class armour.

basically when  you get to lv 50 you can either do monster pvp in the entermoors, or if you can wish you can play as a lv 50 creep. In the next content update, which is next month there is a new mpvp dungeon, in which who ever controls 3 out of 5 points in the area ( freep or creep) gets to raid it. You can also grind for traits and reputation and ofc raid. Theres also roleplay if thats your thing.

As for the server, well there are only pve servers as this is a pve game. I dont know if you like to rp but im on eu-rp laurelin, which is a friendly and mature server. Are you US or EU?

Hope this has helped.

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by Shack67

I have a few questions first.
    Endgame:  What is it like? Raid instances, endless gear grind, or is there a variety of things to do with unique and useful rewards?
    Art Style: I have played both FFXI and WoW for extended periods of time and the thing that got me about both of those games are the art style.  I would look forward to leveling up in FFXI because some gear would look cool and the environment in WoW has great art direction.  I've heard LOTRO was bland, any truth to this?

Variety:  Is there a lot of things to do once I hit cap besides "end-game." For example, FFXI has chocobo raising/racing, pankration(monster arena) and other things.

Server:  I'm looking for a friendly PVE server

Currently there are not as many choices at the top level as MMOs that have been out for 3+ years.   That being said there is still a wide variety of choices that players may choose from if they want.  Here is a partial list:

Crafting

Traits, Titles, Deeds

Reputation system

Playing music with different instruments

Session play 

Raiding

Housing

Helping lower players complete quests

Alts

MPvP ... new content coming for Book 12 as well.

Character display clothing (mainly for role-playing purposes) ... coming in Book 12

Edit:

Forgot to comment on your question about art style.  Almost everyone agrees that LoTRo has some of the most beautiful landscapes of any MMO ever seen.  There are creatures inhabiting the woods, prairies, and mountains that you would expect to find, and birds flying through the sky in great flocks.

The characters and combat animations are quite a bit more subjective, and even though I think they are very good... I think it's probably something that each is going to have a different take on.  As to the overall style... I think they did a very good job of presenting a picture of what the books of Tolkien bring to mind.  The biggest thing to remember is that the game is modeled after the books, not the movies.

There is of course some leeway given for the sake of the game as opposed to the strict interpretation of the lore, but by and large I think they've satisfied both sides very well.

Coming soon...

More hobbies!   It hasn't been confirmed but with Book 13 there may be additional hobbies added.  Fishing is the big one that everyone is hoping for.  Also a new mode of transportation has been hinted at... boats are the current guess.

Book 12 is scheduled to come out in the first part of Feb. , so that would put book 13 into the later stages of March or most likely sometime in April.   They are constantly adding new features that not just high-level characters can enjoy, but characters of all levels can enjoy.