Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was thinking of picking this up but...

Shack67Shack67 Member Posts: 16

I have a few questions first.

Endgame:  What is it like? Raid instances, endless gear grind, or is there a variety of things to do with unique and useful rewards?

Expansion packs: Should I buy that "all in one" pack or is there some packs that don't add much and I can skip over?

Art Style: I have played both FFXI and WoW for extended periods of time and the thing that got me about both of those games are the art style.  I would look forward to leveling up in FFXI because some gear would look cool and the environment in WoW has great art direction.  I've heard EQ2 was bland, any truth to this?

Classes: I heard EQ2 has 20 classes.  Are they all useful and unique or just different rehashes with a few gimmick spells?  Also, I liked Mage, Warlock, Red Mage(Healer, Debuffer) and Black Mage (damage) in those games.  What would be a good Magic DPS class for me?

Server:  I'm looking for a friendly PVE server that has some PVP (not open world if possible.)

Content: Will it keep me busy until August 2008?

Thank you, and maybe I will see you online soon!

If a man does his best, what else is there?

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by Shack67 =
    Expansion packs: Should I buy that "all in one" pack or is there some packs that don't add much and I can skip over?
    Content: Will it keep me busy until August 2008?           YES

some retailers offer Everquest II: Echoes of Faydwer for around $20.00 or less

that would give you all expansions --  except no Kunark and no adventure packs

the downside is,

if you buy Kunark later, you will be paying another $40.00 probably

if you do buy the game,

its better to bite the bullet and buy Kunark

(which includes all expansions and all adventure packs)

I highly doubt you will see any PVP unless you play on a PVP server

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

EQ2 is a very pretty game, but it lacks exactly what you are looking for, which is a good art style.

I quit for that reason, same old armor trhoughout 80 levels, in the end I got bored.

Call me shallow, but armor diversity it's very important to keep me interested.

Also the world has a plastic feel to it, WoW has better art style (obviously IMO), it might be cartoonish but definetly the world has a more fantasy feel and it's more immersive than EQ2.

EQ2 on the other hand, is a better game, even if the last RoK expansion is a blatant wow copycat, but without the nice armor............shame.

• ClaxisClaxis Member UncommonPosts: 16

You can also try the free trial and see if you like the game

www.everquest2.com/freeTrial.vm

• mo0rbidmo0rbid Member Posts: 363

Wow isn't cartoony! stop using that term! It's not trying to look like a cartoon it's trying to be WCIII-ish now thats a huuge difference

• bahamut1bahamut1 Member Posts: 614
    Originally posted by Shack67

Endgame:  What is it like? Raid instances, endless gear grind, or is there a variety of things to do with unique and useful rewards?
    Raids range from 2 group to 4 group runs through instances lasting anywhere from 10 minutes (in one case, normally about 30 minutes) to 1 day. Even if you do the very long multi-day instances (they are literally the size of a continent), they are persistant and you can save your progress and come back at another time.
    There is a large variety of bosses and how to do them, and rewards range from your typical "uber" gear to special recipes and components for crafting.
    There are also what's called contested raids that happen out anywhere in the outside world at any time. They also range from 2 group to 4 group and are the most difficult raids in any game. These bosses are the hardest, most contested, and most rewarding fights of all. You literally compete against other guilds/groups for these targets and is the absolute best adrenaline  rush you'll ever get out of a game.
    Buy the RoK pack, it comes with everything. Best value overall.
    Art Style: I have played both FFXI and WoW for extended periods of time and the thing that got me about both of those games are the art style.  I would look forward to leveling up in FFXI because some gear would look cool and the environment in WoW has great art direction.  I've heard EQ2 was bland, any truth to this?
    That's mainly subjective and completely depends on what you like/don't like. EQ2 uses a more "realistic" art direction. Body parts are proportionate and the armor/weapons are more realistic in nature (IE, weapons are normal sized, few particle effects, and armor fits the body style).  Landscape and cities are more realistic in nature.
    The "lack" of armor style is rediculous as they had 4 armor styles at launch. Added 8 more armor styles by EoF, and then another 16 in RoK. At first, I agree that was the case, but now there are 28 different styles of armor, and a skeletal revamp coming soon to introduce a lot more. Plus the fact that appearance tabs were added and you can look pretty much any way you want, from a wedding dress to bright and shiny metal plate armor. I mean, that's 28 times the options you get in WoW, at least, not counting normal clothing and tradesman outfits.

Classes: I heard EQ2 has 20 classes.  Are they all useful and unique or just different rehashes with a few gimmick spells?  Also, I liked Mage, Warlock, Red Mage(Healer, Debuffer) and Black Mage (damage) in those games.  What would be a good Magic DPS class for me?
    There are 24 classes. Most are completely different in style and play. A few are similar, but have enough differences to be unique. Either way, you can't win with some poeple. Everyone wants to be similar, and only have a few choices, but then they complain that there isn't anything unique about each one and they're all the same. Then you give them all these choices and they complain that there are too many to choose from. Just play what you like and screw the rest. :)
    The mage/mage type classes are Wizard (single target fireball dps), Warlock (multiple target disease dps), Conjuror/Necro (pet classes), Illusionist/Coercer (charms and control), and there is a healer class, the Fury, that is mostly healer, but does good dps.

Server:  I'm looking for a friendly PVE server that has some PVP (not open world if possible.)
    It'll keep ya busy till August 2018...

"Granted thinking for yourself could be considered a timesink of shorter or longer duration depending on how smart..or how dumb you are."

• jasthemityjasthemity Member Posts: 63

The spells and creatures are kinda bland, every enemy looks like a Ken doll.....

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

1. Endgame: In the years that I've been playing this, I've never reached end game. If you reach it quickly, you're not experiencing the game. The point is in the journey, not in the end.

2. Get the whole thing. Its only like $40 anyway and comes with everything including all the adventure packs.

3. I don't find EQ2 bland, however I do find it much more realistic than FFXI or WoW. Its beautiful but you have to actually appreciate that beauty.

4. There's some crossover in all the classes but they are unique enough. As for what class, depends on if you solo alot or not. Necromancer and Conjurer are widely considered two of the best Mage classes for soloing because they have pets that can tank for them.

5. All servers but Antonia Bayle have PvP, however the PvP is in voluntary duels (you have to request the duel of the other player but no one ever seems to do it, and you can turn the option to receive duel requests off. I ALWAYS turn mine off. I loath PvP) or in the Arena (but no one ever goes there). There are open PvP servers that are clearly labelled for you on the server list when you create the character.

6. Its kept me busy for years.

• DarthHoobDarthHoob Member Posts: 108
    My 2 cents worth....

Endgame stuff is all in the latest expansion Rise of Kunark. The last 10 levels will keep you busy soloing and small grouping for questlines. You've got about half a dozen instances (some open dungeons, some exclusive instances) to keep you going looking for some nice kit. The raidzones are more involved at level 80 than before, split up into 3 tiers. Tier 1 is easy. Tier 2 is a little more tactful. And tier 3 is proving a real challenge for even the hardcore guilds right now. All raidzones are involved with a questline to unlock later zones, so you have to do them all to unlock the latter.
    I should also point out that there is plenty of raid stuff from level 60 onwards, especially around the 70 mark. EQ2 was level-capped at 70 over 2 expansions, and the raidzones here will keep you busy for months if you can find a young guild to do them with.
    As stated above buy the Rise of Kunark boxset, it gives you everything released so far. Expansion 1 "Desert of Flames" is 40-60 content, expansion 2 "Kingdom of Sky" is 50-70, expansion 3 "Echoes of Faydwer" is a whole new continent 1-70 with new player races the Fae and Arasai. Expansion 4 "Rise of Kunark" is a whole new continent with 4 level 70-80 zones and a new starter zone 1-20 and new race the Sarnak. Out of all of these expansions you have a choice of 2 good alligned cities - Qeynos & Kelethin, and 3 evil cities - Freeport, Neriak, and Gorowyn.
    Plus you'll also get the 3 adventure packs "Splitpaw Saga" "Bloodline Chronicles" and "The Fallen Dynasty". "Fallen Dynasty" being a particular favourite of mine due to it's asian feel.
    This all-in-one package is the best value for money, costing you the same price as every other, but it's the first expansion to feature absolutely everything released so far.
    Well some would probably say it's bland looking (as some have above), but I really don't find it is at all. Crank the graphics up and you can find yourself just staring at the scenery all the time, some of it is really dazzling. Each location has it's own unique feel to it. Some of the lower level armor and clothes can appear a little bland, but unique stuff can be found. And at later levels you can find some truly awesome looking armor, helms and weapons that really bring your class alive. We've also got a second inventory option to wear armor/clothes over the top of our stat armor called the appearance slot. So even if a piece of armor/clothing isn't best suited to your class or has long since become obsolete to you, you can still wear it for it's appearance alone if you so please. We've also got new house mannaquins implemented with the next game update so we can save armor/clothes to show off in our houses.
    Yes, we get houses! One of my favourite parts of the game. you'll find lots of stuff on your adventures to store away here, and one of the tradeskills is carpenter, which can fill up your house with loads of lovely furniture and stuff.

24 classes. 6 of each archetype. 4 plate wearing fighters (Guardian, Berserker, Paladin, & ShadowKnight), 2 leather melee fighters (Monk & Bruiser), 6 scouts (Dirge, Troubadour, Swashbuckler, Brigand, Ranger, & Assassin), 6 mages (Wizard, Warlock, Conjuror, Necromancer, Illusionist, & Coercer), 6 healers (Templar, Inquisitor, Mystic, Defiler, Fury, & Warden).
    You've shown an interest in mages. A good starter class for mages imho is Necromancer or Conjuror. Both are pet classes, meaning they rely on conjured pets to hold aggro whilst soloing, or give added dps during groups and raids. Wizard & Warlock are excellent choices too, though both are seriously overpowered and can cause aggro issues in groups for inexperienced players (not neccessarily you, but for an inexperienced tank as well!). Illusionist and Coercer are slightly more complicated, both utilising crowd control and coersion spells.
    The healer classes are incredibly  varied. Templar & Inquisitor both wear plate armor and cast reactives that heal when damage is incoming. Templars being a very low dps class, concentrating more on buffing a group up & debuffing mobs down. Inquisitors are similar but have a better dps output. Mystic & Defiler wear chain armor and are best suited to groups, having superior heals that ward against damage. They can solo, but struggle a little. Furies and Wardens excell at soloing greatly, both having outstanding dps output for a leather wearing class, especially furies with they're elemental spells. Furies definitely seem to be the most popular (and fun) healer.

Your server choice will dictate whether you pvp fully or not. We have dedicated pvp servers that pit good classes against evil classes permenantly. Other servers will allow groups and raids to be made up of any class, and the only pvp you will encounter are personal duels & arena battles. Atm we do not have pvp zones in the sense that WoW does. Your either on a pvp server, or your not.
    Oh definitely.
    Good luck. I hope you enjoy the game as much as I do. It's kept me happy for the last 2 and a half years.

Currently returned to Norrath after disliking Hyboria.

• DigitalGamerDigitalGamer Member Posts: 13

I have been playing for over 4 years and i still don't have a max lvl character so i cannot speak to this. Although my guild has many lvl cap characters that raid all the time and seem to enjoy it quite a bit.

You have to buy Kunark its the best value and gives you an extra character choice.

I have always been a strong opponent of the Anime WoW graphics. I prefer EQ2 because although it is a fantasy mmorpg in that it has elves magical monsters etc. it does it in a realistic way that i feel like i am playing a mature game. I couldnt play halo if everyone was in pink yellow armor and guns the size of a volvo..its tooo far from reality that i feel stupid playing it. I guess a good comparison is watching Batman Returns compared to the batman cartoons on sunday morning. They are both batman, but Batman Returns was a made with a more mature and sophisticated audience in mind. They have done amazing things with armor choices since launch, im very happy with the choices and appearance of armor in this game. My only annoyance is i am not high enough to get the really cool stuff yet!  

Their are a great many classes some of them very similiar but no 2 are alike. And they are all very fun as long as you know your place. Don't expect your Dirge to be the group tank or your Assassin to be a good healer.  If you want a damage dealing mage class go Wizard or Warlock. I prefer Wizzy. Warlocks AOE range is huge and tends to pull a great many things you were not trying to pull. I have 10 Characters and i play them all.

In EQ2 there are PvP servers and PvE servers no mixing. The best PvP you can hope for on a PvE server is duels.

EQ2 has enough content to keep you going for a very long time. The crafting has been hugely simplified and appeals to a much larger audience now. But i think as in any game the key to a long and happy relationship is finding a guild that fits your personality and playstyle. Then your good to go.

Sentinel - Nektulos

Hope to see  you in game!

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by jasthemity

The spells and creatures are kinda bland, every enemy looks like a Ken doll.....
    I do not know the last time I saw Ken look like this...

Play the game before commenting please...

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Originally posted by openedge1

QFT

• quaikyquaiky Member Posts: 566

biggest part of endgame is raiding, but there are also a lot endgame group zones and insatnces and its very likely that they will add 1-2 new instances with the monthly patches this year liek they did last year.
    best value is the all in one pack, you don't really need kunark at start but it also gives you a nice starting zone with a good new player experience. so if you are really short on money you  can get EOF and you will be ok with it till lvl 70. but after that you will need kunark to progress to lvl 80 (and its unlikely that the price for kunark box will drop much before next expanion launches).
    This is a very subjective question, i like the more realistic look of eq2, but i prefer the more historical looks with realistic sized weapons and armor that really protects the body over the anime style. (When i am a warrior in palte armor then it should look like combat plate armor and not like some parade armor that offers no real protection, and my sword should look like a man can hold it with 1 hand and doesn't need any hoverdevices added to it to wield it)

at lower level the differences sometimes are not that big, but with increasing levels more and more class defining skills come available so in the endgame levels each class has big enough differences to the others.

all pve servers allow arena pvp and duells, but both of this is not widely used. but both can be fun. In the arenas you can either play your character or specialised arena pets (which you can collect during the game) that are better balanced  against eachother.
    There is content enough to keep you busy for quite a long time especially if you choose to experience all the content that is available on the way to max level.

• Shack67Shack67 Member Posts: 16

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback.  I am definatly downloading the trial. 

If I buy, which starting zone do you think is the best for me to go to?

I'm looking for one that has a pretty cool storyline, and really draws me into the world and will show me a nice variety of what the game has to offer. 

Thanks again =)

If a man does his best, what else is there?

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984

Originally posted by Flem

Originally posted by openedge1

QFT

Is a masked Gnoll a good or a bad Ken  ?

But i /sign that EQ2 has ok graphics.

BTW: Where is that ? A Ninja Gnoll and a Drolvarg. Is it RoK starterzone ? Havent seen much there...

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984

I'm looking for one that has a pretty cool storyline, and really draws me into the world and will show me a nice variety of what the game has to offer. 
    Thanks again =)
    I guess most will say: Starterzone of Kurnak. Best items for low levels in game.

If the trial is still the trial of the fay you have to roll a fay in faydark. But you can delete it and roll somewhere else then as i hear.

For the vertrans every starter zone has its own storyline. Qeynos is the city of light, but freeport has some massive slums, Neriak is a dark city. There is even a pub for vampires I had to kill the guy at the door who wanted to have a drink with me LOL.  And faydark is the place for people who like nature and trees and fairies.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Thanks again =)

As you are asking specificly "if you buy".

Well it depends but to be honest... The new starting area for the Sarnak has quest rewards that beat out most crafted gear for a good many levels.

Some of the other starting zones unless they were updated recently lagged behind in quest overlap as well as rewards.  What i mean by that is.. the last time I started in Fay..  I had quest turning grey before I should have.  Part of that is increased XP and you can get around it to a degree by disabling combat xp.  Just seems odd to have to do.

I've been in and out of EQ2 since the friends and family beta.  Probably why getting xp fast seems odd.

As to end game... I didn't hit 70 until just before RoK released.  Then I had about 4 characters that hit 70 at the same time and two are 80 now.

So to end game... its not like you are forced to do anything.  If you do manage to get up to the RoK levels.. the quest rewards are pretty nice.  They will definitely do well enough for you if you don't want to raid.

As to if you do Raid... best advice I have for you... The Guild you join and raid with is going to dictate how you enjoy that aspect of the game.. FAR more than anything SOE can do.

After RoK hit about 90% of my guild vanished.  Can't say it was because of the expansion because it wasn't.  However, leadership issues can make or break a guild and raiding.. so if you get that far.. do some research and get to know people. 

A bad guild can really destroy the enjoyment of the game.

EQ2 is probably one of the best MMO's on the market atm.. and I'm really not a SOE fan.  However, I can admit that this game is pretty solid in the current market place.

*edited to add*

As to your class question.  Some of the classes are fairly rehashed or not very different and others are very different.  As to what you play.. it may be dictated by if you want to stay in the game for the long haul.  By that I mean most raiding guilds are fairly set on some classes and always looking for others.

My main was a Fury and all I really used that for was guild raids.

I had a Necro, Bruiser and Shadowknight that are either 80 or close to it. 

I solo'd on those and really only the Necro could have expected to go on raids.  However, I would have had to switch out my abilities to a raid build to do so .. as such I was just happy to keep playing the Fury.

Wizards/Warlocks and Necro with the right abilities build are your major DPS classes (magic wise).  There is also conjies but to be honest... We mostly used them for Coth and some Pet Pulls.  After Necro's got Lifeburn... anyway.. its a solid pet class.

Out of those 4 the guild I was in.. only was ever really looking for Necro's and that wasn't often.  We had Wizards and Warlocks that often had to sit outside and hope someone left.

Enchanters and Bards we never had enough of (those can be hard to level solo and often times people don't group them but want them at high levels.. yes its odd.. if you think about that).

Red Mage.. from FFXI.. probably the closest thing in EQ2 would be a Shaman which is mostly a healer but they can debuff as well which can affect fights.

I encourage people to play classes they want to play.. as I don't think a game can be much fun other wise.  However, in EQ2 if you want to raid.. there is usually the cold reality of.. most established guilds are only looking for certain classes.  Sometimes you get luck and its one you like to play.

Originally posted by eugam 
     Where is that ? A Ninja Gnoll and a Drolvarg. Is it RoK starterzone ? Havent seen much there...

that screenshot is from Kylong Plains  (a lvl 65+ zone)

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Originally posted by mo0rbid

Wow isn't cartoony! stop using that term! It's not trying to look like a cartoon it's trying to be WCIII-ish now thats a huuge difference

Yes, but what if you think WCIII looked like a cartoon? Then there isn't a difference at all. They both look like cartoons.

More to the point, 'cartoon' does not = bad. There are badass cartoons and there are crappy ass cartoons. It's like saying, "I don't like Chevrolet's because they look like cars". Is it a cool car or a stupid looking car?

I love WoW's art direction, I think it looks like an awesome cartoon.

• smitty0356smitty0356 Member Posts: 368

It's hard to say if someone should get into a game that is this old.  It has it's niche, and while it's not nearly on the scale of the original, it provides solid gameplay.  It is very slow and clunky mission-wise, and the world is fairly bland. (fighting 80 corrosive bog slugs comes to mind). 

PVP is pretty much non-existent, but this game pulls it off pretty well.  I found myself not really missing it.  The community is also pretty decent, but very reclusive.  It's fairly bug-free, but the graphics are showing their age.  And server populations are getting smaller and of a higher average level, which makes it hard for noobs to join in.

There are a lot of new games comming out, and I would reccomend trying them out instead of this game. 

Elite poster by 82

• mo0rbidmo0rbid Member Posts: 363

Stay away from the oldest zones as much as possible. I have nothing good to say about them

• MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414

Originally posted by mo0rbid

Stay away from the oldest zones as much as possible. I have nothing good to say about them
    I can think of a few good things to say about them :)

1. Immersive

2. Good music

Now the bad

1. Quests suck ass

2. AGGRO

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263

Game is good, comunity though ... be prepared for a long solo grind. No one seems to help or care for new players, like the game had millions of ppl playing, what obviously is not the case. After lvl 60 things get better but i was already bored if u wanna know. Even guilded its hard to find players to group with at lower lvls. I was always "looking for group" and almost never could find any to join.

And i like to solo, like it a lot. But be forced to all the time is not fun at all.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by paulocafalli

Game is good, comunity though ... be prepared for a long solo grind. No one seems to help or care for new players, like the game had millions of ppl playing, what obviously is not the case. After lvl 60 things get better but i was already bored if u wanna know. Even guilded its hard to find players to group at lower lvls. I was always "looking for group" and almost never could find any to join.
    And i like to solo, like it a lot. But be forced to all the time is not fun at all.

i played on nektulos...and i found the community very helpful over there

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263

And honestly if u already play WoW why u wanna play EQ2 too? They are so similar. As a matter of fact all top actual fantasy based MMOs are very similar, thats why ppl keep saying there are clones. They are not clones but basicaly they are all very alike.

If u have said, hey i wanna play Tabula Rasa because its a diferent kind of MMO, or CoH/CoV i would understand but EQ2. Wait for AoC than, i would.

Originally posted by paulocafalli

Wait for AoC than, i would.
    you mean the game thats been delayed 3+ times already ?

dont bother waiting for  nonexistent games

play whatever fits your mood