Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I start, or wait?

Mart_sMart_s Member Posts: 2

Hey guys, sorry the kinda stupid question.

I've been looking into this game and thinking of starting playing, but i read theres a Guild Wars 2 coming.

I was wondering if I should start playing this, or wait for the 2nd to be released? I'm not exactally sure when its meant to be out.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• HelloKirbyHelloKirby Member CommonPosts: 110

Guild Wars 2 won't come out till sometime in 2009.  You could wait... But that will be awhile. 

You should try out Guild Wars.  If your not sure if you will like it then their is a free trial thing. (I think) 

• Pans_FolleyPans_Folley Member UncommonPosts: 76

I agree with the above poster. Get your feet wet now. You don't need all the releases, there are trial keys available. If you like it, you can just start with Prophecies and go from there. It is a slower moving chapter, but it gives a good amount of learning and insight into the game. Once you move past the "searing" the game really picks up and provies a lot of content. If you find yourself enjoying it, invest in the additional chapters and have fun.

A year is a lot of time to waste.....

• Mart_sMart_s Member Posts: 2

Thanks for the help, I'll try out Guild Wars as soon as I can.

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

Originally posted by Mart_s

Thanks for the help, I'll try out Guild Wars as soon as I can.
    Plus, the games will be linked and your characters in GW2 will be the grand children of your GW1 characters (through the use of the Hall of Monuments in Eye of the North, aslong as the GW2 characters use the same names)

The Hall of Monuments was introduced in Guild Wars Eye of the North to allow players to facilitate the transference of their accomplishments over to Guild Wars 2 from their original Guild Wars account. It is a personalized instance that changes based upon certain specific things you have achieved. This feature is exclusive to GW:EN owners.

imageimage

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

Originally posted by Pans_Folley
    I agree with the above poster. Get your feet wet now. You don't need all the releases, there are trial keys available. If you like it, you can just start with Prophecies and go from there. It is a slower moving chapter, but it gives a good amount of learning and insight into the game. Once you move past the "searing" the game really picks up and provies a lot of content. If you find yourself enjoying it, invest in the additional chapters and have fun.

A year is a lot of time to waste.....

I finally purchased Prophecies after years of deliberation - in part, due to my pre-conceptions about F2P games. It took me a couple of years and a couple of games intermittently, to challenge my pre-conceptions and edumacate** myself ("Self!", I said to myself, "We've got to edumacate this fella!") on what exactly GW was / is.

To my surprise, GW turned out to tick a lot of boxes on my mental checklist. I particularly like how accessible and innovative NcSoft have made the character 'builds' for PvP - reminiscent of M:TG [Magic: The Gathering] less the errata, stupid amount of rules one had to memorise, and the expense (hence, why I never played M:TG despite being intrigued by the concept).

GW feels slick, polished, with deceptively simple yet innovative game design, has lovely graphics, affords casual play without diluting the game, and most of all, is fun!

Due to my work schedule and other commitments, I do not have time at present to devote to a MMORPG - nor do any current MMORPGs have a genuine claim to deserve my paying a subscription fee. GW more than satisfies both criteria - and shall force me to think, when I dabble my toes in PvP.

If only I can arm-twist my recalcitrant friend into generating an interest in playing GW again ('influencing' him to buy Prophecies - he only has Factions).

** old skool George 'Dubya' Bush joke.

Regards,
    Riotgirl
    (Liscia Thierese, Me/E - European District 1, if anyone either wishes to say "Hello" or group)

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

fileplanet.com has a trial offer for GW