Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

64bit only?

GozzarGozzar Member UncommonPosts: 387

am I going to need a 64bit cpu to play this? mean dx10 needs that or ?

Comments

• singsofdeathsingsofdeath Member UncommonPosts: 1,812

Though FC has not yet released the Minimum System Requirements, from what I have heard so far, no, you won't need DX10 to run it, although of course you will need DX10 to enjoy the full scale graphics. From what i saw of several videos though, they are aiming to make it look very nice with DX9 as well. (before anyone flames me, I say they are trying to...and I am hoping they pull it off. ^^)

• kujiikujii Member UncommonPosts: 190

As of now in pre-release it is said you can use vista or xp and/or 32, 64 bit.  So basically what most people currently are running will work.   It will run with dx9 as well. 

• oakaeoakae Member UncommonPosts: 344

The screenshots of AoC using DX9 already look great but I don't know the specs of the machine using DX9.

• EqvaliserEqvaliser Member Posts: 74

i wish it would be 64bit only..

but really DOUBT IT.. hehe

i wouldnt worry about if if i where you. ;)

------
    Playing MMO's since my first which was Ultima online, then Anarchy online. and so on.. ;)
    Now a days im very critical before i ewen bother downloading a Free to play mmo.

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263

I didnt hear anything about that but i seriously doubt it. Making the game only for 64bits would keep too many ppl out of it. Its not a smart option.

• EqvaliserEqvaliser Member Posts: 74

excaktly its proberly just some rumors :p

------
    Playing MMO's since my first which was Ultima online, then Anarchy online. and so on.. ;)
    Now a days im very critical before i ewen bother downloading a Free to play mmo.

• erandurerandur Member Posts: 727

64 bit-only? 64 bit is too recent for that, maybe in a few years you'll start to see a few 64 bit)only games, but at the moment that seems very unlikely. Only a few people have 64 bit processors, and even less people know how to use it.

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

and even less are willing to spend the money to go to win 64 or vista. Myself personally, won't go to vista until a service pack or 2....I would rather upgrade to WinXP 64 atm than vista. The only downside to that there is no DX10 for WinXP...there might be if vista sales don't increase, but as of right now 64 bit only is too narrow of a market for any game

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

One word answer for the "can I run it" question.

Oblivion.

The devs say that if your system can handle that game, you are good to go for Conan.

It will be both DX-9 and DX-10 support and will run 32-bit and 64-bit systems.

Xbox and PC's I "believe" will be seperate servers at first, but may have a joint server in the future.

• howardbhowardb Member Posts: 286
    Originally posted by Eqvaliser

i wish it would be 64bit only..

Yeah you, Robert, Hans and Michelle would've had a great time. All four of you. You might've got a bit lonely after a while though and sieges wouldn't been the same 2vs2 either.

• SabradinSabradin Member Posts: 772

dx10 works with vista 32-bit yes?

Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by Sabradin

dx10 works with vista 32-bit yes?
    Forsure.

• HorkathaneHorkathane Member Posts: 380

- I would advise going to a 64bit OS for other reasons. If you want to experience AOC in DX9 or DX10 at a real good frame rate I would think you would want a beefy video card or cards and alot of memory. So for example:

Say you want to go with SLI & 512mb cards now thats a gig of memory and you have 2 gigs of ram in your system putting you at 3 gigs of memory. You are pretty much up against the wall when it comes to a 32 bit OS which caps out at about 3.12 - 3.5gb of addressable memory. Yes your video cards memory is included as is that 64mb of X-ram on the creative X-Fi cards.

So, guess whats gonna happen to your performance? Crapola! You will be swapping with your HD.

Now a 64bit OS can have and use up to 128gigs of addressable memory. Me, I had no choice but to upgrade to Vista 64bit. I got 2 evga 768mb cards and my performance was in the dirt. I upgraded and put in an extra 2 gigs of ram for a total of 4gigs in dual channel and I am smoking in Frontlines Fuel of War and Crysis.

I jumped 40+ fps @ higher resolutions since my new OS can really handle the load of my hardware.

You might want to think about that.

• SabradinSabradin Member Posts: 772

Is the amount of RAM capacity the only advantage Vista-64 bit has over Vista 32-bit?

are there any other advantages that would affect gaming performance?

Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.

• SweeetSweeet Member Posts: 135

Is the amount of RAM capacity the only advantage Vista-64 bit has over Vista 32-bit?
    A 32bit CPU can handle 32bit instructions per clock cycle and a 64bit CPU can handle 64bit instructions per clock cycle - Therefore the 64bit client will run much faster. Hopefully you'll see about a 30% speed increase

To wank, or not to wank. The ultimate MMO sacrifice.

• KraptorKraptor Member Posts: 359
    Originally posted by Sweeet

A 32bit CPU can handle 32bit instructions per clock cycle and a 64bit CPU can handle 64bit instructions per clock cycle - Therefore the 64bit client will run much faster. Hopefully you'll see about a 30% speed increase

Actually nowadays the only valid reason to go Vista 64bit is no ram limitation, though by default Vista 64 limits applications max mem use to 2 gigs but u can change that. Also since most programs are programmed for 32 bit in mind you wont see a big increase in speed.  Also 64 bit eats 1 gig mem when u have every features turned on:):)

• SweeetSweeet Member Posts: 135
    Originally posted by Kraptor

Actually nowadays the only valid reason to go Vista 64bit is no ram limitation, though by default Vista 64 limits applications max mem use to 2 gigs but u can change that. Also since most programs are programmed for 32 bit in mind you wont see a big increase in speed.  Also 64 bit eats 1 gig mem when u have every features turned on:):)

Yup, but if you've got Vista 64 you're more than likely going to have a half decent machine. And considering there will be a 64 bit version of the game client, those running Vista 64 should notice a sizable increase in performance.

To wank, or not to wank. The ultimate MMO sacrifice.

• JadarJadar Member Posts: 300

Yup, but if you've got Vista 64 you're more than likely going to have a half decent machine. And considering there will be a 64 bit version of the game client, those running Vista 64 should notice a sizable increase in performance.

'could notice a sizable increase in performance' would be more appropriate. It would depend on how much of their (cpu based) code could be optimized to take advantage of 64-bit (or 128-bit DP) data paths. But given the numbers for Vista and the even smaller numbers for Vista 64, it would be surprising to see much more than a recompile. How much optimization for particular hardware can realistically be expected? Dual core and quad core, 32 and 64 bit, DX9 and DX10, thoroughly implementing each of these requires separate (and probably extensive) attention. So outside of memory and graphics demands, which of these things is the most likely to increase performance the most? I'd wager on the difference between single-core and multi-core performance, but I'd be surprised if there was a gross difference between any version.