Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want an MMO to solo in. Always. Is there one?

SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

I've tried quite a few of 'em.    Lots of games, like Wow, Lotro, etc., have a good amount of solo content but the closer you get to the endgame, the less there is to do solo.     Even CoH (which I loved) that had scaling, post 40 had so many quests with AVs that you needed to group often.

I've teamed, I've raided, and so forth, and yes, I had some good times (and some bad) doing so.   What I am sick of, is being able to solo most of a game, then being forced to team with others by the end of it.

I want to see and experience ALL (or 95%) of the content without ever being forced to group to do so.   I want an MMO with soloable instances!

I know I can play SP games, and I have played a boatload, but even for diehard soloers, MMOs offer many things that cannot be found in offline games.

Finally, I don't care much for PvP.   I tried EVE, and while it had some cool things, way too much ganking there for my tastes.

So, does such an MMO exist?    

MMOs I've played and can remember:    UO, EQ2, AC, EvE, CoH, Wow, Lotro, 2Moons, 9Dragons, Mythos, TR, Ryzom, ....  I'm sure there's more.

Comments

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

I don't mean to sound crude but I thought one of the M's in MMO stood for Multiplayer. That being said, you should try games like Oblivion or NWN2. These games are suppose to give you the MMO feel without the multiplayer.

Almerel

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

• curiindicuriindi Member Posts: 488

I suggest playing Guild Wars. However, GW is not entirely a MMO, but an online RPG with multiplayer options - just not massively multiplayer!

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Its can be a tough world if you are required to solo. MMORPGs in general want players to interact. As such much of the content is driven to have more than 1 player involved...especially at the end game. MOst players who prefer solo generally end up in FPS type games.

As you mention there are a lot of games that have solo content, but If you prefer to enjoy a game entirely as a solo player, it may require an adjustment of your expectations for this genre of game. PVE End game content with little exception is group oriented. PvP can be more forgiving of a solo player. Eve, as you mentioned, DAOC stealthers enjoy some freedom from grouping as well, Guild Wars as well ..to name a few.

I wager the game that offers the most in Solo content would be WoW, and I say that only because they offer the most content overall ..so IM playing the percentages. YOu may also consider looking at SWG, which has a sandbox mentality similar to Ryzom (which you played)

Good Luck

Torrential

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

Originally posted by almerel

I don't mean to sound crude but I thought one of the M's in MMO stood for Multiplayer. That being said, you should try games like Oblivion or NWN2. These games are suppose to give you the MMO feel without the multiplayer.

Almerel

No offense taken, but I was hoping I could avoid having to explain this part, as there are a million points about it in various other threads.

However, I do not want to not see or talk to other people, I simply do not want to rely on others for my character's progression.    I still like seeing crowded towns, auction houses, etc., as it makes the world seem more alive.    Also, games like Oblivion and NWN2 are very short compared to an MMO, completable in 20-40 hours.    Most MMOs take months to see everything if not longer.

GW's is a great choice if you get Night Fall. I currently play GW's and have all the content available and I do have to admit that with the addition of heroes you can pretty much do the game solo. However, you still run into the need real people thing towards the end game content of the 3 chapters. If you do decide to go GW I'm in a great alliance and you actually wont mind the humans you interact with.

Almerel

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095

Almerel

Multiplayer means exactly that, multiplayer.  Nothing in it's definition says it has to be in groups or forced grouping.  Game developers are finally learning the true importance of available solo content in their games.  My suggestion to the OP would be to wait for Warhammer Online.  That game will have a ton of solo content from beginning to end with rewards that are comparable to what groups get.  Sadly, WoW does a complete 180 at the high end of the game and goes completely group / raid.  What little solo content at the high end is usually relegated to grinding mobs overland.

One of the primary developers of WAR is very pro-solo and has stated on several interviews how very important it is that WAR have plenty of meaningful solo content throughout every level of game play.  It's his belief and mine, that solo content is what makes a game so very appealing to casuals and brings them into the game in droves.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

Diablo was an excellent game to solo in, as was any of the Neverwinter Nights games. If your looking for strictly solo content maybe MMO's are not the best place for you to be looking. If multiplayer interaction was not a key element it would not be much of a MASSIVLY MULTIPLAYER Online game

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

The OP mentioned Mythos in their list as a mmo

Guild Wars is a good recommendation

I would also like to add that in GW's you do not need anyone to help you progress to lvl 20. You may need help with a few of the end game missions but you will never need a group to enjoy most of the game or to advance you character. Also keep an eye out for GW2. It'll have the true MMORPG feel but give you the GW's charm(and no monthly fee)

Almerel

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

Originally posted by Nightbringe1

Diablo was an excellent game to solo in, as was any of the Neverwinter Nights games. If your looking for strictly solo content maybe MMO's are not the best place for you to be looking. If multiplayer interaction was not a key element it would not be much of a MASSIVLY MULTIPLAYER Online game

More Massively Multiplayer interaction takes place outside of groups than inside them.  Having played these games for years, I can say without a doubt that most communication and interaction takes place in guild / ooc / acution chat.  Groups tend to be focused on doing content, that they don't have that much time to intereact unless it's in a raid, then that interaction is mainly in the form of telling people what to do or bitching and whining.

Grouping is one small aspect of multiplayer and not even the most influential.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

To be honest.. Sorry to say but I dont think ANY mmo will ever cater to that kind of need.. But if you really want to be left alone, play Anarchy Online. they have these missions that you can solo ALL day long and progress your character.. Also, they have lots of soloable content.. HOWEVER don't expect EVERYTHING to come from soloing.. Lets be for real, MMO's aren't really designed for the extreme anti-social type of player granted, yes you CAN solo, but in order to take on bigger and better things you will need a group...

I personally think that instead of requiring more grouping towards the end, I think it should be the exact opposite.. Lower levels should be grouping more and as you grow in rank and level the adventurer should be able to defend himself better and allow for more soloing to be done.. I think ALL "endgame" content should be solo... That way its a TRUE test as to how you build your character and how good you know your own skills and abilities..

• WeaponXWeaponX Member Posts: 241

The easyest MMO to solo is WoW I maxed a char in 3 months all solo but you have to be ready to craft to alot and make money to buy gear if you are going to solo. It was fun just not great fun I got bored from time to time.

I have soloed a Char in to the 70's in EQ2 took alittle longer was alot more challenging and in turn was more fun for me. No crafting needed to get gear just harvest whatever zone you are in and sell the items. You wont be rich by any means but you can get your gear. I did not find myself getting ant where near as bored with EQ2 as I did WoW but they both where fun.

CoH I only soloed in to the 40's with and found that at that level I had to group.

So I would go with EQ2 if I was you. I see you have played it but the game has changed some since release and I think it is more fun now then when it released.

Assassin's like to do it in the dark and from behind.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

WoW, eaziest solo game hands down

next would be EQ2

OP have you ever tried GW's? If not I maybe able to get you a 10hr pass to try.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

• Hybrid-LordHybrid-Lord Member Posts: 110

I can understand as to why some people like solo'ing. I myself find myself solo'ing most of the time, even if i'd rather be in a party. Sure i hate depending on others but at times, it's gives the game more life.

But as for games i know are "solo'able" Well, Dont flame me for this but Hellgate is quite solo'able if your smart at it. But other then that i wouldent really know.

Best of luck to ya in your search though.

• judgebeojudgebeo Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by SwampRob

I've tried quite a few of 'em.    Lots of games, like Wow, Lotro, etc., have a good amount of solo content but the closer you get to the endgame, the less there is to do solo.     Even CoH (which I loved) that had scaling, post 40 had so many quests with AVs that you needed to group often.
    I've teamed, I've raided, and so forth, and yes, I had some good times (and some bad) doing so.   What I am sick of, is being able to solo most of a game, then being forced to team with others by the end of it.
    I want to see and experience ALL (or 95%) of the content without ever being forced to group to do so.   I want an MMO with soloable instances!
    I know I can play SP games, and I have played a boatload, but even for diehard soloers, MMOs offer many things that cannot be found in offline games.
    Finally, I don't care much for PvP.   I tried EVE, and while it had some cool things, way too much ganking there for my tastes.
    MMOs I've played and can remember:    UO, EQ2, AC, EvE, CoH, Wow, Lotro, 2Moons, 9Dragons, Mythos, TR, Ryzom, ....  I'm sure there's more.

you kidding? seriously, Massive Multiplayer Online... "masive and multiplayer..." what do this game got that a Sp game dont? ??? what is the point in play a shooting game without shooting? a soccer game without ball? a massive game solo? to pay a fee?

Btw, there are some games that got a feature to do this, CoX can solo till certain level or choose mishes without av, or Guildwars got heroes, Hellgate can be soloed too... Neverwinter Nights (1 & 2) can be customized, and find different servers/PW worlds. But insist, cant find the point to do this in a mmo.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

MMO designers suck at designing,  which forces players all to ofter to have to go it solo since they don't want to wait for a real group to form.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

Originally posted by judgebeo

Originally posted by SwampRob

you kidding? seriously, Massive Multiplayer Online... "masive and multiplayer..." what do this game got that a Sp game dont? ??? what is the point in play a shooting game without shooting? a soccer game without ball? a massive game solo? to pay a fee?

Btw, there are some games that got a feature to do this, CoX can solo till certain level or choose mishes without av, or Guildwars got heroes, Hellgate can be soloed too... Neverwinter Nights (1 & 2) can be customized, and find different servers/PW worlds. But insist, cant find the point to do this in a mmo.

For the same reason why so many people take single player games and network them with their friends so they can play with or against each other.  "Becasue it's Fun"  The point of any game is to be fun and a lot of people and I do mean a lot of people find soloing in a MMO a lot of fun.

• nightphantomnightphantom Member UncommonPosts: 276

I would say Hellgate: London is pretty easy to solo in, in fact it has a whole single player mode!

Only buy it if you have the computer to run it and liked diablo II though.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Almerel

Try also TWO WORLDS, you can solo but also multi player that you still can solo a big open world like morrowind or oblivion, it looks good nice quests alot of different mobs more then oblivion, horse riding nice crafting sytem.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

In EQ2 there is lots of lots of lots of solo content, you can play it solo for months without getting bored.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Almerel

One of the biggest misconseptions that players and some developers have about MMORPGs is that Multiplayer stands for grouping. It doesn't, or rather it shouldn't. Massively Multiplayer means that there is a large amount of people playing and interacting on a server at the same time. It doesn't stand for grouping. It stands for interacting. I may do a quest solo but I am interacting when I pay a player who is a blacksmith to make me a new weapon. I'm interacting when I kill an enemy player on my way to town or when I sell some herbs to a player. See the difference?

You do not need to group to interact with people. It is that same belief that is causing MMORPGs to stagnate as developers cannot escape the dogma of grouping. Besides which, forced grouping leads to frustration and downtime if one cannot find a group.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

The soloing king is CoH/CoV. Certain builds of Tankers and Scrappers can easily solo AVs.

WoW is a pretty easy MMO to solo but you will only see about half the total content.

• rigghawkrigghawk Member Posts: 22

Anarchy Online is a good solo game.  You can join teams, but dont need to.  It is also due for a new graphics engine soon (the age of conan engine).  You can try it out for free though its actually cheap ($10 month) and I would recommend getting at least the shadowlands expansion.  I've gone back to play and although I'm not reeling from the excitement it is an enjoyable game with some great complexities and tons of classes to try.

Wrigghawk

Rigghawk

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

You could always try Lineage 2.  These day's you'll have to solo to level 60 or so, and even in the last 10 levels, certain classes can solo to 74.

But oh the pain, its a tough grind so you'd better be ready to stick your head down and get busy.  Once you get to the end game you'll have a ton of fun raiding keeps and stuff and it will all be worth it. (in about a year or so) 

:)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon