Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does Shadowbane compare to DAOC ?

ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

I love faction pvp.Played DAOC for over 5 years and have moved on. I know they are wiping the servers. Could someone please detail the similarities and differences vs DAOC.

- tower fights

-keep fights

-crafting

-housing

-pve

-player base(growing/shrinking/kinds of people)

-company game support

-seige equippment

-mounts

-graphics

-class balance

-fun  factor

Comments

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Graphics:

DAoC has better graphics.

Gameplay:

Has a more RPG feel to it, and less FPS, with the point to click system. Client is not perfect, but the gameplay concept is. Just need a big company to take it one step further.

Seiges:

Cant compair the two games. Everything in DAoC is static, all player made stuff in SB is destroyable via Seiges.

Mounts:

There are none.

Crafting:

You rank NPC smiths to craft for you. You have to gather the supplys for them to craft good stuff (Mines or Mobs).

Housing:

Buildings are player controled. You have a vault that you can access with all characters on your account and a bank for the single character. Most buildings are controlled by the guild leadership, but you can usually get a hut at an open town to sell stuff at a price.

Player base:

I counted about 1100 people on Mourning on primetime. With only one ARAC server and one LORE server when they do the reboot, I would guess 1500 - 2000 or more players online in the one small map. 50+ people fighting over the Obsidian mine when its active will be the norm at first. Then people will get owned, their trees destroyed, and they will run from SB to other games because they cant hack it.... or CN will roll everyone and we all give up...

Company support/improvements:

Its a free game. Stray Bullet Games is getting out a patch every 2 - 3 months. I have seen ninja patches happen in between major updates as well, most likely fixing dupes and other exploits.

Fun factor:

If your on the winning side its really fun, and even the losing side can be, especially if you end up dominating the people that crushed you after you reorganize. This is a PvP game.

Play to crush.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• Mimimi_RuMimimi_Ru Member Posts: 41

MIMI

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Xanther was sick this week and he is the new voice for Shadowbane.  They also will be putting a new patch on test for next week.  So, the wipes will be after the patch, when its done.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

Oddly enough, as much of a PVP game as this was, I really loved the PVE aspect in the early levels.  The noob island was the best "noob island" I have ever experienced.  It had a swamp, and hidden trainers for certain talents, and the drops were cool, and the whole thing was excellent.  There was a perfect MMORPG atmosphere.

For me,  being a PVE player primarily, it kind of fell apart after level 20; just too ruthless a PVP environment.

However, Shadowbane had a great concept, and seeing how it's free, I'm tempted to roll up a toon and step out into a world which has had maxed out character for the past four years.  Wish me luck.