Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OMNI or CLAN ?

ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

Well ...I saw the new engine graphics(that are comming) and said ok I'll try the free to play part of the game and am starting to get hooked  . I need to decide on a faction. I know there is no right or wrong choice...have no friends playing the game so can go either way( am on RK2). Your thoughts please on a choice...and ratonale. Thanks.

Comments

• OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568

Omni is evil.  They sacrifice life for profit.  They want to control your every move and even thought.  They ARE Big Brother.  It's their way or the highway.

The Clans believe in freedom, in the value of human life over big business profits.  They work together to protect one another.

In other words, Omni are Republicans and Clan are Democrats.  The choice is simple.  :)

• WarcriminalWarcriminal Member Posts: 244

the choice is simple

Omni Tek are big corporation; Dark and sexy in their black Elite armour and Clans are redneck farmboys with goat skulls on their heads.....

• AmpallangAmpallang Member Posts: 396

If you choose omni, I shall feed you to the nearest Dyna boss.

If you are not being responded to directly, you are probably on my ignore list.

• metamermetamer Member UncommonPosts: 23

A lot of it depends on your perspective.  It wasn't until the Shadowlands came out and the whole Redeemed = Clan, Unredeemed = Omni  thing happened (well, not exactly, but that's at least how  the AO factions are aligned), which was a move toward making Omni the bad guys and Clan the good guys.  Omni-Tek is a capitalist organization that values order, whereas the Clans are less concerned with the bottom dollar and stability and more interested in personal freedom.

There's a long, complicated history of the struggle between the Clans and Omni-tek, neither of whom has clean hands.  Admittedly, as of late the storyline has taken a turn toward Omni-Tek being much more draconian.

There's always the option of staying neutral, though there are some drawbacks associated with not picking a side in the conflict.  But, if you're not certain, you can stay neutral until you have a better feel for which faction will suit you.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

Well you could always remain neutral. I mean that is as free as you can get. Sure you don't get all the big benefits like the 2 factions, but you get to be independent dammit! Although remaining neutral for your entire career (especially first time playing) could be rather bothersome.

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

Well...going Neutral...until I can connect with a good guild.

Thanks for the advice.

• GilgameeshGilgameesh Member UncommonPosts: 412

It's not only a matter of 'good' and 'evil'.

Omni get a neck that increase the amount of xp gain so they can level faster than Clan.

Not sure if this is changed now, it's a bit of time i don't play AO. Maybe veteran points added something similar to other factions.

Nickname registered on www.mynickname.org

• burmeseburmese Member Posts: 546

Side XP (determined by which faction has the most tower land under their control) varies month to month.  Currently clan has the upper edge, but that is not always the case.  In any case picking a side simply because you get 110 XP from a kill versus 107 XP from a kill due to slightly better side XP is a pretty shallow motivation.

~\_/~\_O

• BrezjnevBrezjnev Member UncommonPosts: 98

Originally posted by Gilgameesh
    Omni get a neck that increase the amount of xp gain so they can level faster than Clan.

Both clan and omnis get those neck-items ( http://auno.org/ao/tokenboards.html ), only neutrals do not. Neutrals do have access to other, although less good, neck-items that work as ersatz for the tokenboards and that don't require tokens.  

And I agree with the choice of the OP, keep all options open till you find a group you connect with :)

• SatertekSatertek Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by Oyjord

Omni is evil.  They sacrifice life for profit.  They want to control your every move and even thought.  They ARE Big Brother.  It's their way or the highway.
    The Clans believe in freedom, in the value of human life over big business profits.  They work together to protect one another.
    In other words, Omni are Republicans and Clan are Democrats.  The choice is simple.  :)

And the Clans guards that shoot the peaceful neutrals on sight?  What do you call them?  The same Neutrals Omni fights to protect. Explain to me how the Clans believe in freedom, how they protect it.  Go ahead.

As an Omni, I've never been forced to do anything.  I get lots of free stuff, discounts, protection, and don't have to live in the desert

Originally posted by Arawon

Well...going Neutral...until I can connect with a good guild.

Thanks for the advice.

Be sure to visit both Omni-1 and Tir.  Base your choice on who treats you the best

• burmeseburmese Member Posts: 546

Omni-1 and Old Athens.  Tir Sentinel guards shoot anything not clan, and 99% of clan are in Old Athens, anyway.

~\_/~\_O

• SatertekSatertek Member Posts: 28
    Originally posted by burmese

Omni-1 and Old Athens.  Tir Sentinel guards shoot anything not clan, and 99% of clan are in Old Athens, anyway.

Yea but that's the just the Clans quest for peace at work.  He needs to see them before he chooses a side.  You have to go through Tir to get to Old Athen anyway.