Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Return of Asheron's Call 2

krityckrityc Member UncommonPosts: 175

Myself and many previous players are returning to the world of Dereth.

The game has changed, but only for the better.

If you've thought of returning, but can't decide. STOP! thinking and return.

The only thing that will bring it fully back to life is population.

The pvp server is great, but if you're up for a challenge come to the kvk server.  The politics of mass

guilds/kingdoms versus other kingdoms is great.

"You can lay on your back for hours and imagine clouds are various animals, but in the end they are just clouds."

Krityc 2/9/04

holla!

[(T+G=W)=Gr*Nf]-S=FoF
T=Time G=Gear W=Win Gr=Grind Nf=NoFun S=Skill FoF=FullofFail

"Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's azz by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?" - Tommy Boy

Comments

• SlangerSlanger Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Very well put krityc. I have seen many new players as well as many returning players. The game has changed so much for the better, that there really is no reason not to come back to Asheron's Call 2. Except for of course time constraints. I have already seen the server populations rising. The more people give this game another shot, the more the word will spread of how much this game has improved. Try it out, enjoy it, and tell your friends!image

Currently Playing:
    AC2, WW2Online, SWG

Retired:
    Everquest, DAoC

Currently Playing: Eve-Online
    On the Backburner: EQ2
    Retired: EQ, DAoC, WW2Online
    RIP: AC2
    Tried: Ryzom, Roma Victor, RoM, KH2, Forsaken World, AO, AoC, APB
    Quit: SWG PRE-CU(Radiant/Starsider), WoW

Achiever 47% / Explorer 40% / Killer 87% / Socializer 27%

• SkaelSkael Member Posts: 115
    A lot of people seem to be doing the free trial, there are much more lowbies running around now. I hope they stay, AC2 would be an awesome game with a decent population and I don't want to see it die.

Vendor buy us all a decent MMORPG bank guards recdu recsu

• Originally posted by krityc

That is nice. But what other 4th generation Tolkien-themed/D&D themed MMORPGs are there? Just Horizons (HZ) and AC2. It is up to each individuale to decide if they want to invest their money into AC2 for the next 6 to 8 months. In 6 to 8 months the rest of the brand new 4th generation D&D themed MMORPGs will be out and in full swing.... EQ2, WoW, Lin2 (closer to being done with its growing pains), GW, and many, many, more.

Is AC2 worth playing the FREE trial? YES.

Is AC2 worth investing a monthly subscription into while waiting for the rest of the big boys to get released? That is up to each individuale to decide. If they want to save their money, or spend it right now while waiting for the rest of the 4th generation MMORPG choices to get released.

The game has changed, but only for the better.

If you've thought of returning, but can't decide. STOP! thinking and return.

The things are this:

1. Is AC2 better than AC? Are new players better off investing their time and money into AC instead of AC2? What IS there about AC2 that is better than AC? Other than the graphics.

2. Is AC2 better than the OTHER old MMORPGs currently out? Namely EQ, DAoC, SB, FFXI? What is there about AC2 that is better than EQ, DAoC, SB, and FFXI???? Other than the graphics.

3. Will AC2 be better than the NEW MMORPGs about to be released? Time will tell. IF  there are no list of answers anyone can make to #1 and #2, then one is better off simply saving their money and wait for the rest of the new 4th generation MMORPGs to get released. (Or continue playing whatever other old MMORPG they are now playing while waiting.)

The only thing that will bring it fully back to life is population.

Well ummm..... gee... according to the ultra-AC2 uber fanboys at MMORPG.com who have been posting on the past 1-10 pages in this AC2 forum...... population means nothing! LOLOL!

Nice to see you are able to see that what Mr. Reality says is what ultimatly goes. And I have been posting this non-stop LOL!. AC2 at release had roughly 50,000 aka 50k accounts. Right now 1 1/2 years after release AC2 has roughly 6,000 aka 6k accounts. IF AC2 can manage to get to 50k - 55k accounts again, then it will have a bona fid chance of actually staying alive. Of actually being taken seriously. Of actually making a true profit for Turbine. Instead of Turbine relying on the profits of AC to support the dying, ailing,  AC2.

The pvp server is great, but if you're up for a challenge come to the kvk server.  The politics of mass

guilds/kingdoms versus other kingdoms is great.

Have you ever played SB or DAoC?

How do you rate the PvP, and KvK, in AC2 vs the PvP, and KvK/RvR in SB and DAoC?

"You can lay on your back for hours and imagine clouds are various animals, but in the end they are just clouds."

Krityc 2/9/04

holla!

=========================
    ======= SIGNATURE =========
    MMORPG games I've played:
    -------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

More games:
    -----------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

Originally posted by Skael
    A lot of people seem to be doing the free trial, there are much more lowbies running around now. I hope they stay, AC2 would be an awesome game with a decent population and I don't want to see it die.

Yeah, I have seen a very large amount of level 10-22 characters running around Osteth and Omishan in the past couple days. I've also seen them saying things like "Wow, this game is awesome! I'm going to buy it." So looks like most are enjoying their free trials and are going to stay. All we need now is for each of them to tell their friends and before we know it servers will be at full capacity.image I know I've already gotten two out of three friends hooked on it. The third friend that tried it, was just coming off of leaving SWG so he wasn't looking to start playing another MMORPG.

Currently Playing:
    AC2, WW2Online, SWG

Retired:
    Everquest, DAoC

• MaxxxMaxxx Member UncommonPosts: 389

seriously xplororororororororor ... are you retarded?

Maxxxi - Frostfell - Asherons Call 2

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

xplororor is semi-retarded.

6k subscribers? I do enjoy made up numbers. At peak times there are over 2k people playing AC2.

Population numbers do matter for funding the game. However, if you are talking about population numbers in terms of the social interaction that comes from having a lot of people online at once, which also makes the game more fun; then you are wrong about AC2. If I recall correctly xplororor says AC1 was and is a success. Consider that the population numbers for the individual servers in AC1 are almost the same as AC2 (except for Verdantine). For example right now there are about 750 people playing Leafcull and 500 people on Wintersebb in AC1. On the other hand in AC2 there are about 650 people on Frostfell and 700 on Thistledown. So it seems to me that the social experience would be pretty close in both games. Yes I know there are more total players in AC1 but it doesn't really matter to the individual player, you will run into about the same amount of people in both games.

• Originally posted by -Jaguar-

xplororor is semi-retarded.

LOL! Two in a row call me names instead of directly addressing the points I brought up.

6k subscribers? I do enjoy made up numbers. At peak times there are over 2k people playing AC2.

Not made up. I get my numbers from current AC2 players who have posted the information on the forms here at MMORPG.com Their threads and posts are likely on page 2 to 4 by now.

But ....... LOL...... you realize you have more than supported the point I was making. I/current AC2 players, said there are roughly 6,000 players playing AC2. imageYOu now say there are roughly 2,000 players playing AC2. imageimageimage

Population numbers do matter for funding the game.

The point I have been making non-stop on these AC2 forums, and the AC2 forums at other sites. Thank you for fully supporting me. imageimage

, if you are talking about population numbers in terms of the social interaction that comes from having a lot of people online at once, which also makes the game more fun; then you are wrong about AC2. If I recall correctly xplororor says AC1 was and is a success.

I am talking about total player accounts in the entire game. Why? Because it is what decides if the game itself lives or dies. If it has a chance in heaven or hell of ever recouping the investment money, of ever turning a true profit.

Also, total player number matter for the ingame economy. Even though one might only see and meet maybe 100 players the entire time they play the game, they are being influenced by thousands of players. That is why it is called a MMORPG. That is why games like Diablo 2:Lords of Destruction is not called a MMORPG.

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------

• SeifferSeiffer Member Posts: 17
    Well xplororor  can have its own oppinion even if it sucks :) For some reason he has a grudge against this game and cant seem to let go :) or well maybe he's just a bit image

• Originally posted by Seiffer
    Well xplororor  can have its own oppinion even if it sucks :) For some reason he has a grudge against this game and cant seem to let go :) or well maybe he's just a bit image

No, I do not have a grudge. Just stating the facts. Like I said, I got my numbers from the current AC2 players who theirselves posted the numbers in these forums at MMORPG.com

No one needs to have a grudge to know that any major, brand spanking new, ultra-modern MMORPG that has between 6,000 to 12,000 (or 2,000?) players is not doing well at all! imageimageimage

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------

No, I do not have a grudge. Clearly you do, or else you wouldn't be so passionate about putting the game down.

Just stating the facts. Like I said, I got my numbers from the current AC2 players who theirselves posted the numbers in these forums at MMORPG.com We already know--and that isn't stopping us from playing AC2 because we like it. If you don't like the game, don't play it and don't worry about it.

No one needs to have a grudge to know that any major, brand spanking new, ultra-modern MMORPG that has between 6,000 to 12,000 (or 2,000?) players is not doing well at all! imageimageimage AC2 is not brand spanking new or ultra-modern. It's a year and a half old. If you were talking about Horizons, that has been around for maybe three months, you would be justified in saying that. And it's not the fact that you "know" it has few subscribers that shows you have a grudge, it's that you constantly and angrily repeat the same things. If you feel cheated because you bought AC2, suck it up. I bought DAoC: Trials of Atlantis for $30, City of Heroes for $50, some of the worst purchases I've made in a while. I could have spent $80 on a nice new pair of black leather thigh boots, but no--I bought MMORPGs that I didn't play for more than two weeks. It's something we all have done.

• GreyloopGreyloop Member Posts: 41

Xplororor,

Do you even play AC2? Have you ever played AC2 and how long ago? Do you ever plan on coming back to AC2? Do Population #'s mean everything to you in an MMORPG?

THanks

• MinoTaur3MinoTaur3 Member Posts: 64

okay u guyz said sumthin about a free trial, were kan i get the free trial at? how long is the free trial, but do i have to give them my credit card numbers or somthing or kan i just play and after the trial it goes away? plz give me more info about this plzplz

• JutulJutul Member Posts: 14

You can get the AC2 Free Trial here: http://www.turbinegames.com/x/

No Credit Card required. If you want to keep playing once your free trial is up, you can continue with your free trial characters.

• Originally posted by Greyloop

Xplororor,

Do you even play AC2? Have you ever played AC2 and how long ago?

Re-read my last post on page 1 of this thread. I get my information from current AC2 players who have posted information on AC2's horribly low dismal number of players.

Check the links in my sig to answer the rest of your question...

Do you ever plan on coming back to AC2? Do Population #'s mean everything to you in an MMORPG?

If AC2 ever puts in the 1 thing they falsly advertised they had, then I would seriously give AC2 another try for 6 months (yep I'd even give them subscription money!). Right now the game features AC2 has does not seperate it from any of the old MMORPGs.

PvP? KvK? large static dungeons with no zones? All already successfully done in DAoC, AC (aka AC1). The only thing AC2 has that makes it stand out from all the other D&D Themed MMORPGs is 4th Generation graphics. Since MMORPGs are made with an intended shelf life of 5 years, graphics < game featurs and game play. Plus in 6 to 8 months from now AC2 will no longer be the only D&D Themed MMORPG with 4th generation graphics.

Population numbers mean absolutly nothing to me IF the game is doing well enough to be around! Just think about it, the current level cap in AC2 is level 150. Imagine working your way up to level 99, or 124 then the game gets shut down! It will mean ALL your ivested time was a 100% complete w-a-s-t-e. At least players in AC, UO, and EQ, still have something to show for the years of time they invested into those games. Plus they know years from now they will still have something to show. It is like driving a car with a full tank of gas, and there are gas stations along the way every 20 miles.

AC2 can be shut down at any time. At any moment - because the number of players is soooo low that it is tooo low. It is like driving a car on a low tank of gas and no gas stations are around for hundreds of miles. How will all and any new players starting to subscribe to AC2 2 months from now feel when/if the game gets shutdown? Will 45,000 to 50,000 more players suddently sign up for AC2 in 2-3 months more?

THanks

You are welcome. image

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------

• MaxxxMaxxx Member UncommonPosts: 389

Xplorororororor is just a troll....

Don't feed him!

Maxxxi - Frostfell - Asherons Call 2

• Originally posted by Skael

No, I do not have a grudge.

Clearly you do, or else you wouldn't be so passionate about putting the game down.

Putting down the game without listing facts, sources, evidence, to back up the reasons for putting down the game would be bad.

I list my sources, facts, proof, evidence aka telling the truth. Truth is truth. If you do not like the truth no problem. Let the lurkers decide on their own if they like or dislike the truth. BTW I am not the only one who has been posting the truth. Current AC2 players have been posting the truth too, on pages 1-4 in this AC2 discussion forum.

Just stating the facts. Like I said, I got my numbers from the current AC2 players who theirselves posted the numbers in these forums at MMORPG.com

We already know--and that isn't stopping us from playing AC2 because we like it. If you don't like the game, don't play it and don't worry about it.

If you yourself want to invest YOUR irreplaceable time into a MMORPG game that at any moment can be cancelled, that is your decision. State your reasons, proof, evidence, facts, why you like AC2. I will state facts, evidence, proof,  reasons why AC2 is doing horribly bad. Then it is up to all the lurkers out there to make their informed decision if they also want to invest their irreplaceable time into AC2, a brand new 4th generation MMORPG that is doing worse than every single old MMORPG, even worse than Runescape, and Astonia 3. image I, and other current AC2 players, are here stating more information about AC2 to give all the lurkers a chance to make an informed decision. If they decide to subscribe, then they will know what they are getting into. If they decide not to subscribe, then they will join the ranks of the majority of MMORPG players, as well as the 45,000 players who dropped AC2.

You should be very happy, because then you will not have angrey players in AC2 months from now really posting venom about AC2 if the curtains come down because they thought AC2 was a vibrant, healthy, game with a long life ahead of it. Players who do still decide to play AC2 after reading all the information I and other current AC2 players post, will be even more loyal to AC2 since they know exactly what they are getting into.

No one needs to have a grudge to know that any major, brand spanking new, ultra-modern MMORPG that has between 6,000 to 12,000 (or 2,000?) players is not doing well at all! imageimageimage 

AC2 is not brand spanking new or ultra-modern. It's a year and a half old. If you were talking about Horizons, that has been around for maybe three months, you would be justified in saying that.

Yes, AC2 is a brand spanking new MMORPG. It is of the 4th generation of MMORPGs. It's brand new game engine is a 4th generation game engine. Of the same generation as SWG, HZ, WoW, EQ2, Lin2, GW, and more. Heck the AC2 game DEVs theirselves said so in the coverstory about AC2 in a very major computer magazine back in the end of 2002. They never told the magazine editors it was incorrect to say AC2 is of the same generation as SWG, EQ, HZ, Lin2, etc....

4th Generation MMORPGs are the newest generation. Their game engines are very simular in technology. That is why they are called "4th generation" game engines. The technology behind the game engine for HZ (Horizons) is the same age as the technology used to make AC2. Even though HZ has been more recently released.

And it's not the fact that you "know" it has few subscribers that shows you have a grudge, it's that you constantly and angrily repeat the same things.

I keep repeating additional facts about AC2 because many uber-AC2 fanboys on purpose never post them. Even though they cannot refute them. And I am not the only one on the AC2 forums here at MMORPG.com who has posted these facts about AC2. Many current AC2 players have also posted them.

If you feel cheated because you bought AC2, suck it up. I bought DAoC: Trials of Atlantis for $30, City of Heroes for $50, some of the worst purchases I've made in a while. I could have spent $80 on a nice new pair of black leather thigh boots, but no--I bought MMORPGs that I didn't play for more than two weeks. It's something we all have done.

No I do not feel cheated for buying AC2. Never did. I make enough money that wasting $50.oo, $80.oo, or even $500.oo would not even put a dent, or scratch, in my budget.

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------

Once again, you have replied by basically ignoring what everyone is saying and repeating the same exact things in response. You did not say anything denying that you have a grudge against the game against what I said, so I will assume that you admit to having a grudge. Therefore, your opinions are incredibly biased.

If so many people complain about how bad the game is, and the populations are sooo horribly low, and it's the worst thing to ever happen to the MMORPG community, WHY are people still playing? Maybe because they like the game? There's a good chance that people who come here will play the free trial like me, and like the game like me. That is what will allow AC2's population to grow.

Tell me this:  Why do you spend YOUR "irreplaceable time" being a troll here? I understand that you want people to be aware of your opinion, but we heard you the first time.

• Originally posted by Skael

Once again, you have replied by basically ignoring what everyone is saying and repeating the same exact things in response. You did not say anything denying that you have a grudge against the game against what I said, so I will assume that you admit to having a grudge. Therefore, your opinions are incredibly biased.

1. I have not been stating my opinions. I have been stating facts about AC2. Try refuting my facts with new facts. Does AC2 have more than 2,000 players? 6,000 players? 50,000 players?

2. It is your opinion that I have a grudge against AC2. I have never stated I felt cheated wasting money on AC2. What is my motive for posting? To make sure all the lurkers have all the facts about AC2 so they can then make an informed decision.

3. AC2 cost between 20 million to 25 million to make. Has it recouped all that investment money? NO. But MicroSoft 100% asorbed the loss before getting rid of AC2. Right now the profits from AC are what are supporting AC2. The 5+ year old game is supporting the brand new game.

When the rest of the big boy MMORPGs get released, not even Turbine getting a "FREE" MMORPG from MicroSoft will be able to save AC2.

If so many people complain about how bad the game is, and the populations are sooo horribly low, and it's the worst thing to ever happen to the MMORPG community, WHY are people still playing?

AC2 doing horrible is not the worse thing that has happened to the MMORPG community. Only to the AC2 community because at any moment AC2 might go the way of Earth and Beyond, and MotorCity Online. (both which had far more players than AC2.) And yes, those people were still playing EnB, and MCO. image

Maybe because they like the game? There's a good chance that people who come here will play the free trial like me, and like the game like me. That is what will allow AC2's population to grow.

Guess what? We are in full agreement on this. Re-read some of my posts on the first page of this here thread. I recommend people DO play the FREE AC2 trial.

Tell me this:  Why do you spend YOUR "irreplaceable time" being a troll here? I understand that you want people to be aware of your opinion, but we heard you the first time.

There we go with the name calling. I knew you were headed there LOL! A Troll is someone who posts for the sole reason of spamming, flames, causing trouble, flames, and NON-constructive discussion. Someone who does NOT list their facts, proof, evidence, to back up their information. It is someone who also engages in namecalling. image

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------

A Troll is someone who posts for the sole reason of spamming, flames, causing trouble, flames, and NON-constructive discussion.

And that is exactly what you are doing. When you say the same exact thing fifty times in every thread that's about AC2's IMPROVEMENTS that you possibly can, it becomes apparent that you're only here to turn people away from AC2 because you have a grudge against the game and want to see it die. Therefore I am justified in calling you a troll, and you just did some name calling yourself by calling me a name caller. image

And what we have right now is definitely a non-constructive discussion. Unless someone has anything NEW to say about AC2's hints of revival, this thread needs to die.

Asheron's Call 2 has roughly 2,500 players playing at prime time. Not total subscriptions. Total subscribers would be closer to 10,000-12,500. Because as we know not everyone is on at primetime and not everyone can play 24/7. There is no reason to continue to bash Asheron's Call 2. I'm sure you have your reasons, but saying that you want people to make an informative decision about the game is just plain BS. Asheron's Call 2 has a 15-day free trial, so for a gamer to make an informative decision he would not come here to see what someone named xplororororor had to say, he would get the free trial and try it! Especially since it's obvious that not even xplorororor knows what he's talking about.image

Currently Playing:
    AC2, WW2Online, SWG

Retired:
    Everquest, DAoC

• MinoTaur3MinoTaur3 Member Posts: 64

ty jatul for the link, um also will AC2 run fine on 56k? well acully i run on like 44k but will it be reall laggy or okay? or does it depend on my comp, my comp is

-733mhz (sucksimage)

-512mb ram (okimage)

-GeForce fx 5600 ultra 256mb (goodimage)

-dial-up connection crapimage)

will taht be good enuff to run ac2, ill dl the trial at my one of my frinds house that has cable or dsl.

Originally posted by MinoTaur3

ty jatul for the link, um also will AC2 run fine on 56k? well acully i run on like 44k but will it be reall laggy or okay? or does it depend on my comp, my comp is
    -733mhz (sucksimage)
    -512mb ram (okimage)
    -GeForce fx 5600 ultra 256mb (goodimage)
    -dial-up connection crapimage)
    will taht be good enuff to run ac2, ill dl the trial at my one of my frinds house that has cable or dsl.

I'm not sure if Asheron's Call 2 will be able to run smoothly on that set up. You're at the bare minimum on the Processor.image I don't see why you have such a good Graphics Card with such an old CPU. Your processor is obviously not going to be able to keep up with the Graphics Card, so you're not getting the full potential out of that card. I'm actually not sure if any new games will run on that set up smoothly.image

Currently Playing:
    AC2, WW2Online, SWG

Retired:
    Everquest, DAoC

• LiqzLiqz Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by xplororor

That is nice. But what other 4th generation Tolkien-themed/D&D themed MMORPGs are there? Just Horizons (HZ) and AC2. It is up to each individuale to decide if they want to invest their money into AC2 for the next 6 to 8 months. In 6 to 8 months the rest of the brand new 4th generation D&D themed MMORPGs will be out and in full swing.... EQ2, WoW, Lin2 (closer to being done with its growing pains), GW, and many, many, more.

With all due respect, xplororor... Asheron's Call 2 has nothing to do with the race and story concepts from D&D or Tolkien.  There are no Orcs, Elves, Trolls, Goblins or any of the other rehashed races that you find in many games including the magnificently boring Lineage II or Blizzard's World of Warcraft (at least Blizzard can write a story).  I felt this necessary to point out, however if you are a fan of the D&D or Tolkien "themed" MMORPG, I recommend you look at Turbine's 4th Generation "D&D Online" or "Middle Earth Online (Lord of the Rings)" 8)  --- I think you will agree that Turbine once again proves they are not duplicators... just originators. 

Asheron's Call 2 Races:  Human [RIPOFF!], Lugian and Tumerok :)

I couldn't even begin to describe how the game is original in is story, I recommend the 15 day trial.

• Storm.Storm. Member UncommonPosts: 256
    I used to run it on a 750 mhz with a ti4600 and it was ok enough.  My only concern for you would be your dial up setting.  You will have to be patient with the patches each month.....

• Originally posted by Slanger
    Asheron's Call 2 has roughly 2,500 players playing at prime time. Not total subscriptions. Total subscribers would be closer to 10,000-12,500. Because as we know not everyone is on at primetime and not everyone can play 24/7. There is no reason to continue to bash Asheron's Call 2. I'm sure you have your reasons, but saying that you want people to make an informative decision about the game is just plain BS. Asheron's Call 2 has a 15-day free trial, so for a gamer to make an informative decision he would not come here to see what someone named xplororororor had to say, he would get the free trial and try it! Especially since it's obvious that not even xplorororor knows what he's talking about.image

Currently Playing:
    AC2, WW2Online, SWG
    Retired:
    Everquest, DAoC

Your point can also apply to you. A gamer to make an informative decision would not come here to see what someone named Slanger has to say - the gamer would get the free trial and try it. image

But in reality gamers come to this here site MMORPG.com to actually see what someone named XplOrOrOr, Slanger, and everyone else have to say. No matter if you like it or not. That IS what this here site is for. imageimageimage

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------